Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2017, 12:16   #2506
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

This labeling anomaly exists on my MT Kre, which I picked up last year at release. I think it's just an error, and nothing more.

MT will have to fix this.
Old 29th November 2017, 13:57   #2507
BHPian

My experience with the HJC has been great. I have the HJC CS-14 Checker Vermelho and it's been a good 2 and a half years on it. Low wind noise ( lower than my Shark S900), lightweight and a comfortable fit everytime you wear it.
The visor quality and visibility is excellent and not prone to scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hjccs14checkermc1_02.jpg  

Last edited by Crankpin : 29th November 2017 at 14:10.
Crankpin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2017, 00:57   #2508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
AH store is listed in the official dealer list - so i doubt it.

https://www.spartanprogear.com/pages/mt-helmet-dealers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes, you are right. I checked out my MT Revenge Helmet's label and found the same spelling and grammatical mistakes. Then I also found that the lids are all being Made in China while they are headquartered in Cartagena, Spain. I found the same anamoly on my 2013 MT Axxis which again was also Made in China. MT should get these anamolies corrected. That is not to take away anything from the quality and fit and finish of the helmet, which I still feel is perfect bang for the buck and then there's the 5 Star Sharp rating as a cherry on the top. Perhaps Sharp rating agencies should start checking out the labels too rather than only the quality of the helmet and impact zones... Lolz.
Thanks ethanhunt123 and dkaile for the confirmation. I am planning to go ahead with the purchase as it appears to be a genuine helmet with Chinese characteristics
Old 12th December 2017, 10:36   #2509
BHPian

Hi guys,

There is a steal of an offer happening on JPCycles USA.

Race spec Scorpion EXO-R2000 sold for 100USD (MSRP: 390USD)
Entry and basic yet good quality Bell Qualifier on sale for 40USD (MSRP 110USD)

Those who can figure ways to get these carried down. DONT DELAY!!

Link: https://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-...lmets/closeout
akshayhonda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 14:27   #2510
BHPian

HJC FG-17 Ohama comes home!

Hello BHPians,

A couple of days back got delivery of my new commuting helmet, HJC FG-17 Ohama. It replaces my fairly new AGV K5 You. And joins my recently acquired Shoei Qwest Banner for company. I sold away my K5 because XL size was more of a comfort fir for me and I find the horizontal visibility during a turn not too well and obstructing. Had got the helmet from Spain based on size chart reference. I previously had a HJC FG17 Mamba Black in L but it was too snug and gave me bad pressure points. Hence had to part ways with that too.

The reason I went ahead with buying FG-17 yet again is because its based on previous gen RPHA 10 flagship from HJC which makes it lighter, snug yet comfy, ventilation is the big with FG-17, wind noise is low also the helmet muffles the surrounding wind noises well too and lastly the European packaged FG-17 comes bundled with a anti-fog lens (The lens inside is made by SkipFog for HJC and is 5-6USD cheaper than one made by PinLock)

I got this helmet during IBW 2017 from PRS Mumbai for a discounted price of 12,000INR as against the MRP of 15,000INR. I find this to be a better deal as against my previous FG-17 Mamba which had got for 99USD~7,000INR from US is because the Ohama is freshly manufactured helmet (OCT'17) as against the closeout helmet from US (FEB'14). PRS is the official HJC distributor for India (Listed on HJC Euro Site). Also the HJC stock we receive in India is Euro-spec hence we get anti-fog screen worth 30USD included in the package too.

Any more questions then feel free as always. Ride Safe all. Attaching a few pictures along.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171213_135116149.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171213_135055221.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20171213_135102398.jpg
akshayhonda is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 14:47   #2511
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, any recommendations for good half face helmets to go with a scooterette? Which brand should I be looking at? SMK seems like a new brand in the market. I used to ride with a Vega or something before on a Dio, and the build was pathetic.

PS: I have a HJC CL17 + an AGV K5 for my Versys.
Old 2nd January 2018, 17:12   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Guys, any recommendations for good half face helmets to go with a scooterette?

Hi Redliner,

The LS2 OF545 is a good option. Link below

http://https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00JZVDH4G/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_263_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=44WTH 6QV6GA82KZSTBYV

I have been using the LS2 FF352 Corsa for 2 years and can vouch for its quality compared to the other brands you mentioned. Would suggest you buy from a store as I find helmets overpriced online.

Incidentally, I am looking to upgrade to HJC CL-17 now. Will really appreciate if you can share a small review of your CL-17, specifically the ventilation aspect in urban conditions.

@akhshayhonda: The helmet looks really cool! How good is the ventilation in traffic?

Thanks in advance.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 19:38   #2513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, any recommendations for good half face helmets to go with a scooterette? Which brand should I be looking at? SMK seems like a new brand in the market. I used to ride with a Vega or something before on a Dio, and the build was pathetic.

Why would you ride with a half-face even on a scooter ? Your chin's importance remains the same right :-)
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 21:52   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SMK seems like a new brand in the market.
My review of SMK helmet on page 153.
Don't know why you prefer half-face helmet for a scooter and not a full-face.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 08:20   #2515
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks guys.

And much thanks to bangalore traffic police, all half face helmets more or less banned here. Fantastic news. Sent this link out to my folks, and there wasn't even a whimper to buy a new full face lid. http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st...1/1122534.html

Now i just need to get three thats small enough to fit the under seat helmet bay. A compact full face that doesnt have a huge chin bar would be nice and fits our heads perfectly. I measure a 54 cms round, my brother measures a bigger 56 or so intermediate oval. Yeah, we will share the scooter but not the lid.

There goes my weekend

Last edited by Red Liner : 4th January 2018 at 08:28.
Old 4th January 2018, 09:24   #2516
BHPian

Picked up the HJC Rpha11 Dartar after a lot of research yesterday. Have taken it only for a short spin so far but I am mighty impressed with it. Fantastic fit and excellent field of view. Very light yet strong (as per reviews online). Looking forward to the Sunday ride now. The box came with the anti fog lens and a dark visor as well.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1515037977.863949.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1515037996.853383.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1515038024.339244.jpg

Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 4th January 2018 at 09:40.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2018, 06:22   #2517
BHPian

Now that Bangalore traffic police are confiscating all Non-ISI stamped helmets what about the Snell,DOT, ECE rated helmets? None of these have the ISI mark. Also I read they are cracking down on shops selling non ISI hemlets. Does that apply to the Dainese store?
Old 5th January 2018, 13:16   #2518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Now that Bangalore traffic police are confiscating all Non-ISI stamped helmets what about the Snell,DOT, ECE rated helmets? None of these have the ISI mark. Also I read they are cracking down on shops selling non ISI hemlets. Does that apply to the Dainese store?
By non-ISI helmets, they are generally referring to the cheap ones that don't even qualify to be called as helmets. A huge majority of people still use it on our roads.

And the police would be having a field day catching those guys rather than bother to check ISI markets on premium helmets like AGV.
Old 5th January 2018, 15:14   #2519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And the police would be having a field day catching those guys rather than bother to check ISI markets on premium helmets like AGV.
I sure hope so. Would be heartbroken if they confiscated my AGV.
Old 9th January 2018, 11:27   #2520
BHPian

Chances are very high as they simply stick to the letter of law whenever it is convenient (read profit) to them. Almost every police man in Bangalore uses that construction helmet with the straps flying (if at all they wear the helmet). And these are the same people who are stopping commuters. Irony is, the pictures from Mysore clearly shows a policeman wearing one of these helmets while confiscating from others.

I have an Axxor helmet which have only DoT certification. I have complained to the shop owner who said he will be contacting the dealer (Vega in this case) for solutions.

cheers,
girish

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I sure hope so. Would be heartbroken if they confiscated my AGV.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed