Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2019, 09:50   #2776
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

A question to those who own the MT range of helmets. Does water enter into the helmet during a rain even if the air vents at the front and back are closed? Are the air vents waterproof once closed?
Old 15th April 2019, 16:14   #2777
Distinguished - BHPian

I was browsing through the websites of a couple of European based online riding gear retailers and was very pleasantly surprised to see that SMK helmets, which is a new brand of Studds helmets, is available for sale there. This might be a first in the helmet industry and is certainly a proud moment for Indian manufacturing.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.png

Name:  2.PNG
Views: 3614
Size:  333.7 KB
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 16:52   #2778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was browsing through the websites of a couple of European based online riding gear retailers and was very pleasantly surprised to see that SMK helmets, which is a new brand of Studds helmets, is available for sale there.
In my opinion, SMK brand was created by Studds to enter into European market.

Quoting from their website.

Quote:
SMK helmets are conceptualized and designed in Europe, before being produced by Studds, a company based in Faridabad, India that produces almost five million helmets annually (Fiscal 2018), destined for markets across the world.
It's more than 2 years for SMK brand, here is my initial review from March 2017 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet).

Quote:
This might be a first in the helmet industry and is certainly a proud moment for Indian manufacturing.
Yes, it's indeed a proud moment for an Indian helmet manufacturer.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 22:46   #2779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
In my opinion, SMK brand was created by Studds to enter into European market.

Quoting from their website.

It's more than 2 years for SMK brand, here is my initial review from March 2017 (Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet).

Yes, it's indeed a proud moment for an Indian helmet manufacturer.
Incidentally, after going through SMK's website, I was reading your initial review of your SMK helmet before I posted on this thread! Keeping the marketing spin aside, what I understood is that SMK is a new brand created by Studds which would pass ECE certification. They might have hired European designers as interns to help spin the inter-continental connection I always felt that the SMK initiative was more for Studds to open up the segments in India above what it traditionally operated in. What I would call the erstwhile LS2 segment - the Rs 2,000 to ~ 5,000 price range. Vega, Steelbird and Studds are all making power plays in this emerging segment.
Old 16th April 2019, 21:35   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
A question to those who own the MT range of helmets. Does water enter into the helmet during a rain even if the air vents at the front and back are closed? Are the air vents waterproof once closed?
Using one for 3yrs . Have used it in heavy rains. Never had such issue.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2019, 20:23   #2781
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, does it make sense to order a AGV K3 SV Helmet from abroad? Want to know what will be the tax if we order from abroad, on landing.
Old 12th May 2019, 07:38   #2782
BHPian

Some of the helmets which i use and what i feel about them. Hope it helps you in making better choices.

AGV Corsa
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv-corsa.jpeg

Pros
- Fit is secure. Super snug.
- Various size options. I got the ML, if you're between a medium and large.
- 2 step visor closing mechanism at the bottom. Helps letting some air in.
- You get foam inserts to customise the fit. Have never used it though.

Cons
- Venting is ridiculous. It's a hot box in there. You will have to get used to the visor fogging up.
- You CANNOT keep the visor open when riding.
- It's a noisy helmet. Have to use ear plugs.
- The helmet is snug on the ears. With constant pressure, it's absolutely painful. You cannot use this helmet for long rides.
- Limited Visor options. There is the clear and then everything is dark tinted. There is no middle ground.
- Unnecessarily expensive.

It's a race helmet. On the street it's utterly useless. I am never buying another AGV, period.

Arai Axcess 2
Got it at a throwaway price. It's an entry level Arai, but it is also a Arai.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-arai-axcess.jpg

Pros
- Because of it's typical Arai round design, it's so comfortable.
- Ton of air flow.
- Though it's on the heavier side, the weight is balanced.
- The helmet liner feels lovely. It's a cocoon inside.

Cons
- Changing the visor is like solving trigonometry.
- Considering it's an entry level Arai, the inner liner does not come off. You will need one of the special anti bacterial sprays to keep it clean from within.
- The visor has a locking mechanism, which works in tandem with a groove on the helmet chin. That locking mechanism broke with regular usage. Will have to change the visor i guess.
- It is Noisy. Not as bad as the AGV though.

For the monies i paid, it's more the helmet that i could have got.

Shoei X-14 Brink
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-shoei-brink.jpg

Recently purchased this baby. Haven't ridden in it yet. But the build, fit and finish looks solid. Got a medium and the fit is secure around the brow and chin. But there is absolutely no pressure on my ears.
I will update here post a ride or two.

Ride safe peeps!
R

Last edited by Odeen12 : 12th May 2019 at 07:46.
Odeen12 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 08:32   #2783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post

Ride safe peeps!
R
Haha. Bingo on the Arai. It took me a week or two to figure out right how the whole visor mechanism operates. Once i got that, its been a breeze. AGV was super easy right out of the box.

The arai (i have the quantum series) have too many plastic things going on. My visor eyebrow vent just broke. Flimsy plastic. And then the plastic holder on the visor which snaps the anti fog insert also just broke off when riding. Flimsy plastic again. Granted, you can actually buy these things separately and reinstall instead if buying a whole new visor.

Sitting in india though, its not easy.

The helmet as a whole is the most comfortable thanks to its shape and quality liners.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2019, 09:11   #2784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Haha. Bingo on the Arai. It took me a week or two to figure out right how the whole visor mechanism operates. Once i got that, its been a breeze. AGV was super easy right out of the box.
The helmet as a whole is the most comfortable thanks to its shape and quality liners.
I have given up on changing that visor. But like you said, Arai is absolute value for money and comfort overall.
Old 12th May 2019, 11:48   #2785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, does it make sense to order a AGV K3 SV Helmet from abroad? Want to know what will be the tax if we order from abroad, on landing.
If you have anyone coming from abroad, it can be brought as "cabin luggage" and no import duty.

As a shipment by courier or post it will attract duties as applicable

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 15:00   #2786
BHPian

I bought a Bell Qualifier. I was more inclined towards HJC CL 17, but after trying it out and few different brands I found Bell lighter and it has more comfortable fit. I've been using the Bell for about a month now. Compared to my previous ISI certified helmet the Bell is very aerodynamic. I was expecting it be much more silent too, but it's not. It howls and roars in my ear.

I use 3M ear plugs on shorter rides and something called 'Earpeace' on long rides. I recommend everyone to use some sort of noise protection against wind noise to avoid hearing damage.
Biker Ram is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:13   #2787
BHPian

Got myself a Shoei RF1200

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1559547802.614239.jpg

Cheers
Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2019, 13:22   #2788
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
I bought a Bell Qualifier.
Just like my MT Blade, my Bell Qualifier has also given up on me around the 2 year mark, the only solace being that I was able to clock about 50k km's on it.

Though fortunately this time it was not an accident per say, while returning from a group ride I had my visor up and when we were cruising through a windy stretch at highway speeds the visor snapped off and went under a car that was trailing me.

Since the shops are quoting 3.5~4k for the visor alone and since the helmet has worn considerably I decided to invest the same in a MT Mugello which I'm able to score at a mouth watering price courtesy a friend who works in law enforcement, yet to receive the helmet but if all goes well I'd get it by next weekend.

In the meanwhile I've bought myself a Steelbird Air for 1.2k as riding without a visor is not possible in the current weather conditions down south, my speeds have dropped quite a bit as the helmet doesn't inspire any confidence, though it does make riding in the rain better considering the Bell is visor-less.
Old 10th June 2019, 22:20   #2789
BHPian

I wear spectacles have a 55 – 56 mm head circumference and have concluded that I need a modular helmet. A full face helmet seems like a stretch for someone wearing glasses and a need a M sized helmet. I am also looking at a mid priced option, (6 to 9k) lower the better, from non Indian brands. A few that immediately come to mind are the following

1. LS2 – FF386 (6 – 7k) | Can't find the M size at all, so might have to settle for L
2. SMK – Glide Series - Kyren Line (just launched) (5.5 – 6.5K)
3. MT Atom SV2 (9k) | Can't find the M size at all, so might have to settle for S or L

Can you give feedback on the above helmets and also suggest any others that I may not have considered?

Finally if you have options for a full face helmets that’s incredibly comfortable for people wearing spectacles, I’d love to know.

I have read through the forum, there are some interesting posts on this but most are quite dated. So I’d love to hear your perspective anew.
Old 10th June 2019, 23:23   #2790
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I wear spectacles have a 55 – 56 mm head circumference and have concluded that I need a modular helmet.
Ive owned the HJC CL17 which is around Rs 9,000 and I wear prescription glasses. Absolutely no issues with the CL17 and its a good helmet, personally crash tested . Ive also owned multiple other full face helmets and have used glasses with all of them. You do not need to go in for a modular helmet because you have glasses.

I'll suggest stick to full face helmets. With modular helmets there is a tendency to ride with the helmet flipped up, especially at low speeds, which is never safe.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks