Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2019, 12:19   #2791
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I wear spectacles have a 55 – 56 mm head circumference and have concluded that I need a modular helmet.

so might have to settle for L
I wear glasses all the time and use a full face helmet. No issues at all.

Secondly, please please get the helmet for your head size and do not settle for any other size. The search may take a bit longer but is worth it from a safety point of view. Fit is very very important.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 17:09   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
I am on the lookout for new helmet for my RE 650 coming early next week. Have got few suggestions earlier in this thread and i tried some today at Orion motors in BLR. I wear spectacles and my biggest need is easy wear and removal of spectacles with a full-face helmet (after safety consideration ofcourse).

Tried
1. HJC CL 17- Very tight fitting for my M size head and not spectacle friendly.

2. MT Blade - Looks good and fit was comfortable (not great). Spectacle use is ok with a bit of struggle. Want to try MT Rapide before making a decision.

3. Bell Qualifier - Better comfort than MT and HJC. But , i didn't like any designs available at store now (only plain ones there). Again some issues using specs.

4. Shuberth (modular): Tried this and was so happy with the Helmet. All excitement came down crashing after getting to know the price. Put the helmet back on the shelf carefully..

5. Revolt (Raven) - This is the most comfortable and spectacle friendly helmet among all that i tried above. It has a nice groove for specs, very comfy to wear, good wide vision , full locking internal visor and not very expensive (7K).

I wanted to buy Revolt, but wasn't sure about the company and it's lang-term ownership review. So came home to do my homework before i buy it. So any feedback on Revolt helmets will be very helpful in making my decision. Any other i missed within the price range of 7-9k?

Thanks
So which helmet did you finally settle for? Are you happy with your purchase?
Old 13th June 2019, 17:16   #2793
BHPian

Hi guys.
I'm looking to buy a new helmet in Bangalore. I have budgeted INR 15k for the same.
My current lid is an old MT Blade SV and while it was fine while I was riding the RE, the wind noise is simply unacceptable on the Versys.

I have a rather large head - my current helmet is a XXL (63-64) in size and will need something similar this time around too. I wear prescription glasses as well.

What brands/models would be available for this price point? It should be relatively light, offer good protection and should not be very noisy. Graphics and design are last on my priority.
Old 17th June 2019, 11:54   #2794
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
Hi guys.
I'm looking to buy a new helmet in Bangalore. I have budgeted INR 15k for the same.
My current lid is an old MT Blade SV and while it was fine while I was riding the RE, the wind noise is simply unacceptable on the Versys.

I have a rather large head - my current helmet is a XXL (63-64) in size and will need something similar this time around too. I wear prescription glasses as well.

What brands/models would be available for this price point? It should be relatively light, offer good protection and should not be very noisy. Graphics and design are last on my priority.
Shreyascashyap, there are tons of options available in Bangalore. HJC has different models, Airoh has a 5* SHARP rated model for Rs 11K, Bell has a good selection and AGV has the entry level K1 as well. There are several posts on this thread that should help you narrow them down.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 15:09   #2795
BHPian

Hi Guys, After trying on a bunch of lids and looking at good prices, I have 3 lids that I want opinions on
1. AGV K3
2. Scorpion Exo 1200 Air
3. AGV k5 (very expensive and over budget, hence a little unsure)

Please let me know.

When you buy lids from international sites shipped to India, how often do you end up paying duties and what are the duties like for helmets?
HandfulOfHell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2019, 11:10   #2796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys, After trying on a bunch of lids and looking at good prices, I have 3 lids that I want opinions on
1. AGV K3
2. Scorpion Exo 1200 Air

Please let me know.
Been using AGV K3 for past 9 years -not the same one (its that old a model) and found it to be comfortable, decent noise reduction and VFM (degree of comfort depends on many factors including shape of your head).

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2019 at 08:32. Reason: Typo
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2019, 12:52   #2797
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. AGV K3
2. Scorpion Exo 1200 Air

Please let me know.

When you buy lids from international sites shipped to India, how often do you end up paying duties and what are the duties like for helmets?
The AGV K3 is a good helmet and Ive owned one for the past few months. But it is not really VFM at Indian prices when compared to, say the HJC options. Between the K3 and the Exo 1200, go for the K3 as it has a SHARP rating of 4 as compared to the 3 that the Scorpion gets.

The import duty is pretty high, I forget the exact number. I had ordered a pair of full length boots from one of the European online retailers as I could only find the same pair in white in India at that time and I wanted it in black. The cost of purchase plus the customs duties added up to around the same cost (maybe even a tad more, I dont recall exactly) as the price of the product in the local store.
Old 17th August 2019, 19:44   #2798
BHPian

Hi gurus,

So I'll get my license sometime next year. Right now, most of my riding (practice sessions) happen on off road trails. I'm using my two year old Vega Cara. It's not a bad helmet, but while tackling low speed trails, it gets kind of suffocating, and my glasses always fog up. This, and the fact that it has taken a couple of light accidental stationary hits make me think that it might be time to get a new lid. Once I properly start riding next year, I hope to get something better. But as of now, keeping my budget at around 4k.

Can't seem to find any MX helmets in this price range other than the Steelbird or Vega ones, and I don't think they would be an upgrade safety wise. The Axxis Draken looks good, but I'm worried if it'll be worse than what I have for off road low speed use. The LS2 Pioneer MX436/ MX470 Subverter are my dream helmets (at least as of now ) but they are way out of my budget.

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 17th August 2019 at 19:46.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:22   #2799
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hi gurus,

So I'll get my license sometime next year. Right now, most of my riding (practice sessions) happen on off road trails. I'm using my two year old Vega Cara. It's not a bad helmet, but while tackling low speed trails, it gets kind of suffocating, and my glasses always fog up. This, and the fact that it has taken a couple of light accidental stationary hits make me think that it might be time to get a new lid. Once I properly start riding next year, I hope to get something better. But as of now, keeping my budget at around 4k.

Can't seem to find any MX helmets in this price range other than the Steelbird or Vega ones, and I don't think they would be an upgrade safety wise. The Axxis Draken looks good, but I'm worried if it'll be worse than what I have for off road low speed use. The LS2 Pioneer MX436/ MX470 Subverter are my dream helmets (at least as of now ) but they are way out of my budget.

Please help me out. Thanks in advance.
Neel
It is good to see young forum members prioritizing their safety much before getting a license. My suggestion is to analyze your potential usage once you get your license. Will you be restricting yourself only to trail riding? Or mostly city commuting? Or touring? Or a mix of all three? If yes, in what percentage? If your offroad usage is low, why restrict yourself to MX helmets? Given the low options in the MX helmet segment, you might be better off getting a good "regular" helmet for the Rs 4,000 bracket that you can use for offroading.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 23:47   #2800
r.K
BHPian

Anyone flying down from the US willing to carry a helmet for me? I will buy and ship it to your address. An AGV K3S or a K5.
Old 17th September 2019, 17:01   #2801
Senior - BHPian

An update for those having / using KRANOS helmets - got a message from Spartan Progear that the brand has been discontinued and they are not having spares.

Wanted to replace my visor (it was good for almost 3+ years, quality is good but there was also reduction in usage - ride hardly once or twice a week @ 300 kms a month nowadays).

Guess have to replace the helmet itself, even though it is in good condition.

So, if you happen to have one, better stock up on the visors....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
... KRANOS, MT & SOL are way ahead in terms of build quality ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
Been testing out the new helmet from Spartan Pro Gear called Kranos
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:10   #2802
BHPian

Folks,
Need some help picking a new full face helmet for daily/city use.

Requirement:
- short drives entirely in the city, (< 30min, speeds less than 50kmph)
- I wear prescription glasses, and need to remove and put on helmet multiple times, so ease of put/removal is v important.
- easy to get replacement visors
- as light as possible (due to neck issues)
- budget < 5-6k

I've been using a Studds chrome ( weight=1kg) for past 5 years, needs to be replaced. It is reasonably ok, but I wonder if there's anything better.
Old 23rd September 2019, 13:25   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
Folks,

Requirement:
- short drives entirely in the city, (< 30min, speeds less than 50kmph)
- I wear prescription glasses, and need to remove and put on helmet multiple times, so ease of put/removal is v important.
- easy to get replacement visors
- budget < 5-6k

I've been using a Studds chrome ( weight=1kg) for past 5 years, needs to be replaced. It is reasonably ok, but I wonder if there's anything better.

I wear glasses too and recently bought Axxis Draken for 4k.
Glasses with a full face helmet is always troublesome as you would always need to remove them before putting on your helmet and then it is difficult to wear your glasses back with the helmet on.

I found the Axxis better than the MT in terms of Fit for my head and also the visor area is bigger in Axxis so it helps with better visibility and is more comfortable with glasses on.

Since I had the similar budget as yours, look at the below brands and choose the one which suits you.

MT
Axxis
Axor
LS2
SMK

Since you are from Pune too, do check out the Probiker showroom at MG road. I bought mine from there.

Last edited by ishan12 : 23rd September 2019 at 13:26.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 14:57   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazd View Post
Folks,

- budget < 5-6k

To be quite honest, you will have to sacrifice safety to get a helmet anywhere close to as light as you want it to be, in that price range. If you actually want a lightweight and safe helmet, you are looking at spending atleast about 20k for lids with carbon-fibre in their construction. Any respectably safe helmet in the 5k range will be a polycarbonate shell which would weigh atleast 1400 grams.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2019, 15:22   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
...you are looking at spending atleast about 20k for lids with carbon-fibre in their construction
Even the best CF helmets aren't 1 Kilo IIRC. The lightest I remember seeing was around 1200 gms. I believe OP is looking for mostly local options like Studda and Vega (in case 1 KG is the helmet weight). Heck, anything lower and you are moving into bicycle helmet (full face downhill lids. they aren't cheap either) territory

Have seen the local Vega and similar helmets. Crappy thin padding, cheap sunken foam and poor liner quality. I don't trust them with keeping me safe. YMMV
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks