Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 13:59   #2836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Thank you! Here's what I found.

Neel
In case you are still looking, there are a few from scorpion and leatt on sale right now.

https://www.lazyassbikers.com/collections/sale?page=2
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:24   #2837
BHPian

Looking for a good helmet for low noise at high speeds. I had a budget of 6k initially but most of the helmets at this price range suffer from excessive noise at high speeds so I have upped my budget to 14k. Anybody has a helmet in this price range that is happy with the high speed performance ? Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:29   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post

FlyRacing Revolt F-S: You must be wondering which company this is, and how was this one selected over the HJC? Well, first of this is also a Snell Certified lid and the comfort it offered was the main reason why i was inclining towards this one. My friend has the same helmet and same size as me and i immediately felt at home wearing it. The second reason was it had a dual density EPS liner, for me a Dual or Triple Density EPS liner is a must(Thanks Fortnine) and the comfort pads were also of good quality. The cherry on the cake was it came with a smoked visor . The only negatives i found out was the visor has a tendency to fog up for a second and it is a bit fiddly to open the visor.

Some picture for your viewing pleasure. The graphics may seem in your face, but as a 21 year old man i am a fan of it! Excuse me for my dirty bedroom.
Hey how is the high speed noise performance of your new Fly racing helmet ? Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:28   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Looking for a good helmet for low noise at high speeds. I had a budget of 6k initially but most of the helmets at this price range suffer from excessive noise at high speeds so I have upped my budget to 14k. Anybody has a helmet in this price range that is happy with the high speed performance ? Thanks
Honestly no helmet is quiet, it's either a choice between noisy and too noisy. As for my helmet it is between the noisy and too noisy scale, there is no whistling sound in my FlyRacing though which was prominent after 60-70kmph in my MT Blade. The only solution is wearing earplugs which will nullify the noise up to a certain extent.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 17:43   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Update on my search for a new lid-

Having spent an entire week reading through all the articles out there on every single track spec helmet in the market, I have ended up narrowing my choices down to the following 3, I am attaching images of all three as well and would love to gain the opinions of fellow riders in the community on which they feel looks the best as I am having a tough time deciding the same myself.

Suomy SR Sport Gamble finish:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-srsport_gamble_t.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-srsport_gamble_l.jpg

X-lite X-803 Ultra Carbon Stoner Superhero finish:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-xlitex803ultracarbonreplicacstonersuperherocarbonnuancehelmet1600x600.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-xlitex803ultracarbonreplicacstonersuperherocarbonnuancehelmet4600x600.jpg

X-803 RS Hotlap finish:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-xlitex803rsultracarbonhotlap13carbonredhelmet2600x600.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-xlitex803rsultracarbonhotlap13carbonredhelmet3600x600.jpg

Would love to see what other folks on the forum think because right now I can't seem to choose between these 3. I have narrowed it down to just these two models, the SR Sport and the X803 since I really value the 1250 gram weight that these lids come in at. The Suomy from my research seems to have the edge in terms of ventilation which might prove an upgrade for me during summer time, but the X-Lite is something that I am familiar with and very happy with as well. The paint finish on the Suomy is said to be epic, the Stoner edition X803 looks interesting too and the X803RS definitely looks hot with that racing spoiler and the red accents. Please help me decide
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 21:25   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Please help me decide
I can't help you choose based on the specs but if I had an option to pick from any of these, my vote goes to X-803 RS Hotlap. It is too hot to resist. The red stripes and the spoiler makes it a deadly looking lid.

Ride safe,
R-Six
R-Six is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 09:09   #2842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
I can't help you choose based on the specs but if I had an option to pick from any of these, my vote goes to X-803 RS Hotlap. It is too hot to resist. The red stripes and the spoiler makes it a deadly looking lid.

Ride safe,
R-Six
+1 for the hotlap purely in terms of the way it looks. Understated yet killer.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2020, 10:29   #2843
Senior - BHPian

SMK (India) has a strong presence overseas, but some of their best helmets are not available here (for Indians). For example I wanted this El Dorado, but have to get it from Nepal. This is crazy
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-screen-shot-20200112-10.26.12-am.png  

Old 14th January 2020, 16:42   #2844
Distinguished - BHPian

A fantastic and detailed note on how an Arai helmet is built.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/arai-is-the-helmet-to-buy/
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2020, 23:24   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Update on my search for a new lid-

Would love to see what other folks on the forum think because right now I can't seem to choose between these 3. I have narrowed it down to just these two models, the SR Sport and the X803 since I really value the 1250 gram weight that these lids come in at. The Suomy from my research seems to have the edge in terms of ventilation which might prove an upgrade for me during summer time, but the X-Lite is something that I am familiar with and very happy with as well. The paint finish on the Suomy is said to be epic, the Stoner edition X803 looks interesting too and the X803RS definitely looks hot with that racing spoiler and the red accents. Please help me decide
1 of my friends recently got the Xlite 803 from Singapore at a very attractive price. He is pretty happy with the helmet.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2020, 15:55   #2846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
SMK turned out to be the best value for money. I'm currently using Nolan and Shoei and am worried someone might steal these pricey possessions, so wanted something cheaper without compromising on quality. As luck would have it, SMK opened first of its kind exclusive showroom in Jayanagar 3rd Block, Elephant Road. Helmets are arranged neatly and are fantastic in quality, (priced around a fraction of what the big boys charge) - Rs 4000!. This is an incredible deal. The brand will rock the global market for sure. By the way, I hear that LS2 available in India are fakes, so buyers beware
Hi,

Can you share shop name or landmark please? I tried googling but couldn't confirm on results as exclusive showroom.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Old 16th January 2020, 16:41   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradipk View Post
Hi,

Can you share shop name or landmark please? I tried googling but couldn't confirm on results as exclusive showroom.

Thanks,
Pradip.
Never been there. But a Google maps search and some amateur comparison with the pics he posted, I think it's this one
SMK helmets, studds helmets, autobots
# 73 elephant rock road, Jayanagar East, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560011
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2bPjzh6Wr3Ano67V8
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2020, 09:13   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone share the experience of buying "Demo" piece from Revzilla.com? They are offering about 40% off on a helmet that I fancy. Are they as good as "Amazon.com Warehouse" deals? I have experienced latter and they sell new items as open box. No issues with product quality.

tia,
-BJ
Old 17th January 2020, 16:39   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Never been there. But a Google maps search and some amateur comparison with the pics he posted, I think it's this one
SMK helmets, studds helmets, autobots
# 73 elephant rock road, Jayanagar East, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560011
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2bPjzh6Wr3Ano67V8
Hey thanks. You found it. Will visit and let's see if i get to buy one.
Old 17th January 2020, 16:47   #2850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
SMK (India) has a strong presence overseas, but some of their best helmets are not available here (for Indians). For example I wanted this El Dorado, but have to get it from Nepal. This is crazy
Isn't SMK owned by Studds? Its just a new brand for upmarket stuff.

Most Viewed