Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2020, 20:42   #2851
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
Can anyone share the experience of buying "Demo" piece from Revzilla.com? They are offering about 40% off on a helmet that I fancy. Are they as good as "Amazon.com Warehouse" deals? I have experienced latter and they sell new items as open box. No issues with product quality.

tia,
-BJ
Revzilla is fine in terms of products and customer service. Demo stuff will have wear from trade shows, motorcycle shows, and store in Philly. Some people wear a liner before trying on store helmets. People close to making the purchase want the real feel. They don't wear a liner.

If wearing things touched by others doesn't bother you, then go ahead, demo stuff is a great deal. Definitely safe. Just remove the liner, clean it up and/or wash it, and enjoy.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 07:15   #2852
Team-BHP Support

https://www.rideapart.com/articles/3...ate-increases/

Helmet failure rate increases. Concerning if you ask me. Just don't depend on DOT.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 17:43   #2853
BHPian

Are there any official dealers for Arai helmets in India?
Old 21st February 2020, 17:51   #2854
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Are there any official dealers for Arai helmets in India?
Performance racing store in Mumbai.

Helmets are mouth watering. Prices are eye watering.
Red Liner is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 20:37   #2855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
This is an excellent helmet which I highly recommend.
Great helmet, I bit the bullet. Do you find visor distortion though? Or is it my eyes that need to get used to it? How do you get used to it? Was a bit unnerving in traffic.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 10:32   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Great helmet, I bit the bullet. Do you find visor distortion though? Or is it my eyes that need to get used to it? How do you get used to it? Was a bit unnerving in traffic.
That's wonderful Do post a picture if you can.

My old eyes didn't spot any distortion so I guess you should get used to it very quickly. The funny part is that I had kept my old Scorpion modular for city use but it is now gathering dust as I find it very stuffy and claustrophobic. The Arai is that good. There is no going back now.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 11:01   #2857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
That's wonderful Do post a picture if you can.

My old eyes didn't spot any distortion so I guess you should get used to it very quickly. The funny part is that I had kept my old Scorpion modular for city use but it is now gathering dust as I find it very stuffy and claustrophobic. The Arai is that good. There is no going back now.
I agree. I have an arai quantum/signet as well, and this one is so roomy and comfortable, it’s just very good.

It’s a Honda Africa Twin series helmet by Arai for Honda. It’s in full matte, finally a helmet I don’t have to work hard at keeping clean.

Name:  5D9682F249DA44D98C665490F7785193.png
Views: 2793
Size:  64.9 KB

Image from google.

Last edited by Red Liner : 26th February 2020 at 11:03.
Old 26th February 2020, 22:32   #2858
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys. I’m looking for a specific helmet from MT brand. I am unable to find it on any of the online stores. Any leads to a contact who can help source this would be of great help. Attaching a pic of it.

MT Stinger Spike helmet:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-55f66f44cd3e4f63bba6ee9de26edb86.jpeg
Old 26th February 2020, 22:53   #2859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
MT Stinger Spike helmet
A quick search threw up the following. Check it out.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=mt...&client=safari

https://www.spartanprogear.com/produ...r-spike-helmet

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 26th February 2020 at 22:54. Reason: Added link.
Old 26th February 2020, 22:55   #2860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
A quick search threw up the following. Check it out.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=mt...&client=safari

https://www.spartanprogear.com/produ...r-spike-helmet

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Thanks buddy. But have done an extensive search on the net. But I’m unable to get the exact print from the pic ive attached. That design is what I’m looking for.
Old 17th March 2020, 00:34   #2861
BHPian

Shoei X-14 Bring TC-1

So finally after a wait and want of 4 years, I finally got the courage to upgrade to my dream helmet. I bought my CBR 4.5 years back, and my research on better helmets started then. I was using a Bell Vortex at that time which was a perfectly fine helmet, matched perfectly with my bike's color scheme too, but I wanted something nicer.

I think roughly this was the time when Shoei launched their new flagship in the form of X-14. I read the reviews and really liked it. About 4 years back, I got an opportunity to travel to US, which I used very well to buy some good riding gear for me. During that time, I got to try a Shoei X-14 in one of the shops and absolutely fell in love with how it felt. My wait for a possible discount or a price drop started then.

Over the years, I tried many helmets but for some reason or the other never felt as good as that Shoei had felt on my head. Being a Rossi fan, the desire for an AGV was always there, I have huge respect for ARAI and I absolutely loved the interiors of my Bell. Tried many helmets, some at shops, some with friends but that Shoei was bloody stuck in my head.

To make matters worse, Marc is the ambassador for Shoei and he starts wining championships left right and center. The net result, any dream of mine of seeing a discount or a price drop on this helmet went down the drain.

I check this helmets price every week on Revzilla. Rather than going down, it actually went up. To make matters worse, Dollar became stronger by 10 Rs as compared to Rupee in the last 4 years. What was a 40ish K helmet was a 60ish K helmet today.

Then is the challenge of bringing it from the US. Helmet is one of the toughest things to carry in flights if its not your own. You would be sacrificing relations/friendships by asking anyone to bring your helmet. I tracked prices in Singapore, UK and USA. But could never gather the courage to pull the trigger mostly because of price and then didn't want to screw anybody else travel because of my helmet.

This year my Bell was almost touching 7 years now, which is generally the recommended end of serviceable life of a helmet. I was quite bored of it and it was starting to become a bit loose too. This particular color them is named Bring TC-1. This color scheme I think came around a couple of years back and ever since I saw it, I was a complete fan. Although I dont like very bright colorful things, but this theme just stole my heart. This year the want of the helmet was really big. Most websites in US and Singapore had this color theme as sold out and I really feared that it might be on its way out. However most UK websites had it in stock still.

The savior came in the form of bikegear.in. They had this helmet listed at 65K, which was exactly equal to its US price. The added benefit was I would get it in its box properly packed and wouldn't have to sacrifice any relation for it. I could convert the charges into EMI as well. I pinged bikegear and their entire communication and service was top notch. They gave me a discount of 2K. I ordered the extra dark smoke visor as well, which had a discount of 1K. So total 63+6K for the helmet and the extra visor.

They had initially committed me 3 weeks of delivery time, but the helmet was in my hands in flat 8 days from ordering. I think they get it directly from Shoei in Japan and the day they got the helmet in Pune, I had it the very next day. Overall an excellent experience with them and would highly recommend these guys.

Now coming to the helmet:
Most reviews say it is one of the more comfortable and plush race helmets and I would agree. The quality of interior and feel on your cheeks is really likeable. I had become very fussy of how a helmet feels on your face maybe because my Bell was quite plush. It is tight fit helmet, but does not feel too tight. The quality of the thing is just top notch. You hold it and you know it is a premium helmet. The thickness of the shield, the tight indents that it goes through when opening and closing, the feel of the vents and switches is all very tight and well machined. In terms of features and headlines, I agree this helmet lacks a bit to the more modern competitors but in terms of fit and finish it is right up there.

I have only ridden in it 1 weekend, but the initial impressions are good. It feels snug and stable. The wind noise is fairly well controlled and the ventilation can really be felt. Fits true to size.

Some Pics:

With the Dark Smoke Visor. I feel my Bell's Dark Smoke was darker.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet1.jpg

Waited 4 years to see this box to be delivered to my home.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet2.jpg

With the Clear Visor
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet3.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet4.jpg

The red on the helmet is slight orangish as compared to the Red on the bike. But who cares.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmet6.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helemt5.jpg

If you have any questions regarding it, feel free to let me know.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 30th March 2020, 19:31   #2862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I settled for the Axxis Draken. It's designed in Europe but made in China (the reason for its affordability) by MT for developing nations in South America, Asia etc. It shares its visor with the MT range of helmets. Rs.1000/- for the clear one and Rs.1100/- for the darker ones. It's pinlock ready max vision visor (Rs.1750 for pinlock insert). Tipping the scales at 1500 grams.

I'll give a detailed review of the ventilation after long enough usage. So far it's snug and feels fine on the head, no pressure points. My prescription glasses slide in smoothly. View is very good. There's a whistling sound on keeping the top vent open. The chin vent is effective.
Better late than never!

AXXIS Draken X-Road Review:

Surprisingly, it's already a year of ownership of this helmet. It's the best affordable dual certified lid available in India. Current prices have gone up by 200 bucks.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-16.jpg
The fit is awesome and snug with or without a balaclava. Ventilation is moderate nothing to boast of. The top vent causes a lot of wheezing inside the helmet. As a snug helmet at stand still you have to sweat it out. On the move it's fine.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg
With the visor closed which is Pinlock ready max vision visor - equipped to attach/detach Anti-fog inserts. I've not installed any inserts.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg
The view port is wide enough and fits all MT visors. There's one but last step in the visor which you can use to keep the visor open to let air in and avoid fogging.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpg
The design and graphics are red, white and black in a gloss finish. The X on the side is prominent and visible. Shape is aggressive and longer front to back. But suits my upright riding posture.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg
The lines and contours blend in well and have an overall smooth shape.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpg
It has a quick release system (QRS) helps in removing and replacing the visor effortlessly. A rubber beading around the eye port to securely lock the visor in place.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-6.jpg
The chin vent is effective and I always leave it open except when it's raining. A lot of dust accumulates here due to our dusty environment.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-7.jpg
The rear has an inbuilt spoiler with minimal protrusions. The spoiler has air diffusers! I've no clue how effective are those, must be a style element.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-8.jpg
Dual certified. Notice the mesh panels on the chimney vents.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-9.jpg
PJ? No clue who's PJ. But the racing stripes look good none the less.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-10.jpg
Double D rings with a button to secure the loose end. I still need to take off my gloves to lock it.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-11.jpg
Chin curtain is effective to cut the wind and reducing the noise inside the helmet. I didn't bother to remove it.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-12.jpg
This patch on the rear being mesh collects a lot of dust. Notice the lack of reflectors here. Usually, there is a reflective patch here. Axxis should upgrade this patch to leatherette with a reflector strip!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-13.jpg
The material is just ok, not plush. It'll last about 3 to 4 years. Notice the vertical stitching just at the centre of the forehead. It caused some initial irritations but later found its place. The EPS liner is painted black. I've read that in case of damage after fall it's easy to spot cracks and peel offs as the internal white layer would be visible. Wish to upgrade before that happens!

I use it daily for commutes and longer rides. Lower down in the food chain this is the best value for money product without an internal sun visor. For any helmet the fit has paramount importance and this fit better than some other costlier lids say for example the MT Targo.

I'm always in favour of buying protective gear and using it always hence always recommend try and buy!

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz

PC: sukiwa

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 30th March 2020 at 21:23. Reason: As requested
surjaonwheelz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 18:55   #2863
BANNED

Seen this video about MT Thunder 3 helmet's damage after an accident(video is in Malayalam).

Is this normal to have this kind of damage in an accident or is this a manufacturing defect?

Last edited by mithun : 8th April 2020 at 18:56.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 19:36   #2864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is this normal to have this kind of damage in an accident or is this a manufacturing defect?
We don't know any specifics about the accident. Speed of impact, surface etc etc. If the rider had come out scratchless, I think the helmet has done its job. Also, this is exactly why we're advised not to reuse a helmet after a fall. The shell may have lost its structural integrity which may not obviously be visible like this example. I'd rather have a cracked helmet than a cracked skull!

Also, the YouTuber has just some 1.3k subscribers, and he has not bothered to give an unbiased opinion. He seems to be more worried that his pal lost 6k than the fact that he came out in one piece. This looks more like a clickbait video than one with any substance.
Geo_Ipe is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 19:42   #2865
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
We don't know any specifics about the accident. Speed of impact, surface etc etc. If the rider had come out scratchless, I think the helmet has done its job. Also, this is exactly why we're advised not to reuse a helmet after a fall. The shell may have lost its structural integrity which may not obviously be visible like this example. I'd rather have a cracked helmet than a cracked skull!

Also, the YouTuber has just some 1.3k subscribers, and he has not bothered to give an unbiased opinion. He seems to be more worried that his pal lost 6k than the fact that he came out in one piece. This looks more like a clickbait video than one with any substance.
Yes, I knew that this was a click-bait video; he also has his comments disabled!

...But will the inside portion get this much of damage since this is not a low cost ISI helmet?

Last edited by mithun : 8th April 2020 at 19:44.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks