Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2020, 19:58   #2866
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I'd rather have a cracked helmet than a cracked skull!
Very true, helmet did the job if it went as you said. But current scenario and reports about DOT rating(which this helmet have), now that's not comforting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
...But will the inside portion get this much of damage since this is not a low cost ISI helmet?
But there was one incident in Kari. According to my friend who was there at that time.
Quote:

Whatsapp Conversation :

[7:38 PM, 4/8/2020] L X: A fatal injury happened at kari , during one of the track sessions. Guy wearing MT helmet, the shell cracked open on impact. Which we felt should not have happened

[7:38 PM, 4/8/2020] L X: That's when I decided to move away from MT. Was using an MT blade at that time.
Vasuki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2020, 20:11   #2867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I knew that this was a click-bait video; he also has his comments disabled!

...But will the inside portion get this much of damage since this is not a low cost ISI helmet?
The damage to the inner portion does seem unusual at first glance but as Geo_Ipe pointed out, we know nothing specific about the incident, except the claim that it was just a skid, rider fell shoulder first, was flung (is that the best word here while translating?) off the road and then the head was lightly touching the mud. It appears as though he is hinting towards the damage stemming from the helmet landing on the mud / sand.

Based on my experience, I would guess that the helmet would have hit the road when the rider first fell (along with landing on his shoulder) and then he would have moved forward with the momentum and fallen by the side of the road with the helmet and rider on the mud / sand. There is no way that mud or sand will cause scratches to a dropped helmet. The timelines show that it happened during the monsoons of last year so its natural that he might have lost control causing the bike to skid on the road. The helmet did what it was supposed to do, protect him. I suspect the rider in question does not realize that his head has hit the road when he fell.

Also, and this is based on personal experience from falling off my motorcycles, if you are falling from a motorcycle at really low speeds, you will have some time to get your hands up and not hit the road body first. And by the way the human body is designed, if you are at medium to higher speed and falling shoulder first onto the road, your head will bounce off the road due to the momentum! Ive fallen like that and my HJC helmet saved my head in that case.

Overall, I dont know what the video uploader is on about. His friend spent Rs 6,000 odd on a helmet that saved his life in what is likely to be a wet road skid. He just needs to buy another helmet and move on!
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2020, 13:20   #2868
BHPian

In other news, MT has quietly pulled off its entry level offering the Mugello helmet which was priced at Rs.4,800. Now the MT range of helmets start with

Stinger Rs.5,250,
Targo Rs.5,750 and followed by the

Thunder3 SV Rs.6,600 (Price increased from 6,250)

One thing surprised me that the Sharp ratings are removed from the Spartan pro gear website for the MT helmets!For example the Thunder3 had a 4 star Sharp rating.Do they have some validity period?

TIA,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 10:47   #2869
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
In other news, MT has quietly pulled off its entry level offering the Mugello helmet which was priced at Rs.4,800. Now the MT range of helmets start with

Stinger Rs.5,250,

One thing surprised me that the Sharp ratings are removed from the Spartan pro gear website for the MT helmets!For example the Thunder3 had a 4 star Sharp rating.Do they have some validity period?

TIA,
surjaonwheelz
FYI, Mugello was Rs.4600

I can't understand why the Stinger costs about Rs.650 more than the Mugello except some design changes(which can be ignored) eventhough the Mugello came with a 4 star SHARP rating! Maybe MT wants to make some quick easy bucks.

I haven't tested the Stinger/Targo versus Mugello(only used Mugello). Users of Stinger/Targo can throw some light.
Old 22nd April 2020, 11:25   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. They have removed the image with 4 star Sharp rating but kept it in description of Thunder3 SV helmet

Quote:
Safety:
  • Dual Certification - ECE R-22.05 (EU) & DOT (US).
  • 4 Star SHARP rated.
Quote:
FYI, Mugello was Rs.4600
Thanks. It's great value proposition at this price with a 4 star sharp rating!

A year back when I was shopping for helmets, there was hardly any stock of Stingers, it was Mugello vs Targo. I found the Targo much heavier on the head. As these are imported, their stock varies with the manufacturers batch. The graphic and size combo is hard to match most of the times.

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 22nd April 2020 at 11:26.
Old 22nd April 2020, 15:08   #2871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Stinger Rs.5,250,

First off, great review of your AXXIS Draken X-Road.

I was not fully up to date on all the MT offerings so I just hopped over to the SHARP website to check. This is what I found.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1659
Size:  87.3 KB

So the
- earlier entry level Mugello had 4 * SHARP rating
- more expensive Stinger has not yet been tested
- more expensive Targo is only 3 * SHARP rated (and by extension, less safe than the Mugello)
- Thunder 3 SV is 4 * SHARP rated

Im sure potential buyers would have been asking their dealers, why is the Targo more expensive if it is less safe than the Mugello? Also why is the Stinger more expensive if it isnt SHARP tested and we dont know how good it is?

So advertising the better protection on the Mugello must have been backfiring on them and hence they would have moved around their product line. Now the new line makes a lot more sense for dealers to sell.

- Entry level Stinger is not yet SHARP tested
- Targo is 3 * SHARP rated
- Thunder is 4 * SHARP rated

That said, these continue to be great VFM helmets.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 17:37   #2872
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Im sure potential buyers would have been asking their dealers, why is the Targo more expensive if it is less safe than the Mugello? Also why is the Stinger more expensive if it isnt SHARP tested and we dont know how good it is?

So advertising the better protection on the Mugello must have been backfiring on them and hence they would have moved around their product line. Now the new line makes a lot more sense for dealers to sell.

Some more notable differences:

- MT Thunder3 SV is having internal Sun visor
- MT Targo claims to come with first-in-segment turbulators to reduce wind drag and buffeting. But don't know whether the fit/comfort is better than Stinger!

And, what are these turbulators?

Quote:
I use it daily for commutes and longer rides. Lower down in the food chain this is the best value for money product without an internal sun visor. For any helmet the fit has paramount importance and this fit better than some other costlier lids say for example the MT Targo.
Have you enquired why your Axxis Draken is less costly when compared to Stinger or any other MT helmets?

Last edited by mithun : 22nd April 2020 at 17:42.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 22:08   #2873
BHPian

Quote:
And, what are these turbulators?

Have you enquired why your Axxis Draken is less costly when compared to Stinger or any other MT helmets?
Turbulators are the small protrusions on the side of the visor as shown in the image below.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-mttargoorionglosshelmet_blackgrey_2_1800x1800.jpg

On the Axxis it's on the spoiler
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-7.jpg

As to why the Axxis is more affordable, may be the manufacturing in China for developing nations in South America and Asia. That's my take, I didn't find any quality compromise. It's already a year old now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
First off, great review of your AXXIS Draken X-Road.

Thanks Neil. Yeah the line up looks more aligned now.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 14:19   #2874
BHPian

Quote:

The fit is awesome and snug with or without a balaclava. Ventilation is moderate nothing to boast of. The top vent causes a lot of wheezing inside the helmet. As a snug helmet at stand still you have to sweat it out. On the move it's fine.
I have the exact same helmet in orange color (matching my orange Inty). Found it surprisingly comfortable and value for money for the price. Initially I bought it as a daily use helmet and wanted to buy another "costlier" helmet for long rides after I have saved enough. But have since dropped the idea of another helmet after a couple of long rides. I always wear the helmet and keep it on for 10 minutes or so in the shop before buying it and the MT I had selected gave me a headache as it was too tight on temples. LS2 was out of question due to lack of double D ring.
Then tried this one, and was really comfortable with a large area of view. Also, a lot of helmets seem to strain the neck due to constant wind blast on them at high speed, but did not face any such issue with Axxis.
Only con I could think of, is the foaming could have been of better quality since it has gone a bit too soft for my liking after a year of use, but at this price you can not really complain.

Last edited by ishan12 : 24th April 2020 at 14:30.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2020, 18:29   #2875
BANNED

Quote:
Turbulators are the small protrusions on the side of the visor as shown in the image below.
Are the Turbulators really useful or is it just a marketing gimmick?

Last edited by Sheel : 8th June 2020 at 20:40. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 8th June 2020, 18:18   #2876
BHPian

Went through the thread and information in regards to helmets as much as I could so far. The MT Thunder 3 seems to be the one to go for in my budget of below 7k as Mugello has been discontinued as noted by the posts above.

Should I be looking at anything else besides this? FYI, this will be my first helmet. Not looking to stretch the budget further. :-)

Last edited by Swarit19 : 8th June 2020 at 18:37.
Old 8th June 2020, 19:15   #2877
Distinguished - BHPian

I am looking for a good dirt helmet in size small. Any leads?
Old 11th June 2020, 22:02   #2878

Guys can anyone share your feedback on Bilmola helmets. How reliable are they? they look cool.
Old 12th June 2020, 18:05   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I am looking for a good dirt helmet in size small. Any leads?
Highly recommend heading over to Lazyassbikers.com and speak to the owner “Dhaval”

Got my scorpion vx16 from him and it’s the lightest (1100 something Grams) most comfortable helmet I’ve ever owned. On a sidenote, have also ordered a Leatt chest protector and knee guards from him just a couple hrs ago
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:55   #2880
Senior - BHPian

Just got a BELL QUALIFIER in Matt Black. Ordered it from motcentral and the experience was a breeze.

Got a brand new box and very well packaged delivered in 3 days from Pune to Agra.

The helmet is brilliant. Looks like a much more expensive helmet for what it cost.

I paid 9000 rupees. It retails for roughly the same price in the abroad ( $ 120.00 )
Will try going out for a ride tonight till the local markets and get a feel of what it is like.

Its really a snug fit and feels solid.

Came with a small 4 reflector sticker pack that I applied on all 4 sides as instructed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks