Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2021, 22:18   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
I am sure folks have hand carried helmets from overseas, what is the deal with customs -if any.
I have hand carried a Shoei X14 around 5-7 years ago from Singapore. Carried it in it’s internal sling bag, carton was discarded. No issues with customs at Mumbai airport, nobody was bothered or asked any questions.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 22:55   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Same here Man. I hand-carried my Shoei from Singapore, 7 years back. (No issues whatsoever). Maybe we were on the same flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I have hand carried a Shoei X14 around 5-7 years ago from Singapore. No issues with customs at Mumbai airport, nobody was bothered or asked any questions
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 16:03   #3363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmV View Post
I am trying to get a helmet from the US through a friend (hand carried). The dimensions seen online are 17x13x13 inches. This may be the packaging carton dimensions.
Best is to bring it as a Cabin Baggage. I have carried 3 helmets that way all together in one trip. Family of 3 of us carrying one each. Also two individually on different occasions

Revzilla you get nice helmet carry bags (below $10) and that works best. No hassles in customs as well

This is the last bag I carried

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-capture.jpg

Best Regards and Ride Safe
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 19:39   #3364
BHPian

Hello all!

Back again. I had posted a few weeks ago about wanting to pick up a new lid.
@neil.jericho was super kind to enquire and help with some info on the Airoh GP550.

I wanted to wait a bit since I had some time before I would get delivery of my bike and there was also a chance of me traveling out of the country.

A few developments since then - my travel is confirmed, so I will be in the US for a week in January and will pick up a helmet from there.
Also, the dealership has just confirmed that my bike is landing shortly & I should be able to get delivery in a week or two.

That prompts a few questions, looking for advice

a) I need to pick up a helmet now, as I do not have one.
Looking for suggestions on some low-cost temp helmets that I can use until I can get a good one in January. I may probably use this around the house etc

b) Planning to get the Shoei RF1400 from the US. Have read good reviews of the preceding RF1200 and this is an upgrade to that model. Should I even consider any other helmet?

Thanks
P72NX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2021, 10:13   #3365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Hello all! That prompts a few questions, looking for advice

a) I need to pick up a helmet now, as I do not have one.
Looking for suggestions on some low-cost temp helmets that I can use until I can get a good one in January. I may probably use this around the house etc

b) Planning to get the Shoei RF1400 from the US. Have read good reviews of the preceding RF1200 and this is an upgrade to that model. Should I even consider any other helmet?

Thanks
For the low cost helmet, if you absolutely need one, get something from MT or HJC (you will find something in the 5k-10k range). I use my Shoei everywhere.

Excellent choice with the RF1400. I have been using the RF1200 since mid 2019 and I absolutely love the helmet. The RF1400 is a proper step up and i will replace mine with the RF1400 (or whatever Shoei brings in) in end 2023. Since you will be in the US, do check out comparable Arai and Schuberth as well and get what suits your needs the best. I would also strongly advise that you get yourself spare visors and the pinlock antifog shield from US as finding them here at a reasonable price can be an effort.
RohanDheman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 09:17   #3366
BHPian

Hi folks, any idea where I can order an AGV helmet in India or the US?

I'm looking for the K3 SV Misano 2015 in particular (please don't ask me why ), and no one seems to be having them in stock atleast in India (based on the local shops I spoke to here in and around Mumbai as well as popular gear stores around the country).

I tried searching for it in the US (online) but don't see anyone except Revzilla having it in stock (Size LG, FYI).

Any leads would be helpful and highly appreciated.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2021 at 15:05. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 2nd December 2021, 10:32   #3367
BHPian

It's time to change my helmet, and I was considering the HJC F70 as my next.

I checked online and it seems the Spartan Progear website has disappeared, and even the Instagram account has gone silent with many folks commenting that they have shut down operations.

Anyone knows the reason?

They were doing quite well, I believe.

Also, anyone aware of any seller who has HJC in stock?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd December 2021 at 15:05. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:39   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post
I checked online and it seems the Spartan Progear website has disappeared, and even the Instagram account has gone silent with many folks commenting that they have shut down operations.

Anyone knows the reason?
They were doing quite well, I believe.

Also, anyone aware of any seller who has HJC in stock?
Hi MadTitan, from my recent interaction with the owner of Motonation here in JC Road Bangalore, the replenishment stock for HJC's are due to arrive in Jan'22 from Spartan.

He had a couple of HJC lids from the existing lot.

Regards
AJ739
AJ739 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 17:05   #3369
Distinguished - BHPian

A little birdie tells me that LS2 has also got ISI certification for some helmets. We need to wait and see which models this applies to and how soon other manufacturers step up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque_Curve View Post
Hi folks, any idea where I can order an AGV helmet in India or the US?

I'm looking for the K3 SV Misano 2015 in particular (please don't ask me why ), and no one seems to be having them in stock atleast in India (based on the local shops I spoke to here in and around Mumbai as well as popular gear stores around the country).

I tried searching for it in the US (online) but don't see anyone except Revzilla having it in stock (Size LG, FYI).
AGVs are almost out of stock, if not fully out of stock, in India right now. There are rumours that the official importer, the Dainese store in Bangalore, will get a small batch early next year. But that is to be seen.

Pick it up from Revzilla and get someone to hand carry it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post

Anyone knows the reason?
There is some business restructuring that is happening with Spartan's operations. One of the parties associated with Spartan will likely continue to import riding gear under a different brand. Due to these changes, some associated Motonation stores had also shut down recently.
neil.jericho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:49   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Hi MadTitan, from my recent interaction with the owner of Motonation here in JC Road Bangalore, the replenishment stock for HJC's are due to arrive in Jan'22 from Spartan.

He had a couple of HJC lids from the existing lot.
Quote:
There is some business restructuring that is happening with Spartan's operations. One of the parties associated with Spartan will likely continue to import riding gear under a different brand. Due to these changes, some associated Motonation stores had also shut down recently.
Thank you Neil and AJ739!

I think I'll wait for some more days and then contact Motonation to see if they have any new stock.
Old 3rd December 2021, 20:04   #3371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
There are rumours that the official importer, the Dainese store in Bangalore, will get a small batch early next year. But that is to be seen.
Any news if these would start getting ISI certifications or not yet?
Old 6th December 2021, 12:34   #3372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P72NX View Post
Any news if these would start getting ISI certifications or not yet?
I do not know if AGV has initiated the process for getting ISI approval for their helmets.

This can appear to be contradictory to my earlier posts because to import helmets into India, you need to have ISI certification for that range of helmets. To my understanding, there is a situation because of which the importer is legally being allowed to bring a batch of non ISI helmets into India. I cannot disclose more at this moment. All said, this is likely to be a one off situation.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 10:51   #3373

Hello everyone,
The delivery of my Honda H'ness Dlx Black is on 15th. I am looking at a matching helmet for less than 10k. Preferably full face (with or without modular). Which brand should I go for? I have only used 2-3k helmets for my scooter rides all this while, so I am stuck in the dark with bike helmets.

I will be commuting 25-30km every day, and a long (say 100-150km rides) once a month till I get used to the bike. Post June 2022, will be riding to Delhi from Chennai, and back.

Details of the trips just to give an idea for commute if it matters.
Old 12th December 2021, 14:05   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetrivaaganam View Post
Hello everyone,
The delivery of my Honda H'ness Dlx Black is on 15th. I am looking at a matching helmet for less than 10k.
Hi Ventrivaaganam, congratulations on your CB!

I bought the Scorpion EXO 490 from Lazy Ass Bikers online for 10k and am quite happy with it so far. Haven’t used it too much but all seems good with it. It also has a internal dark sun visor. Attaching some pictures of the helmet.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-560d23e0eda54a19a3b94479cfd7257b.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-676274b462e34fc39676143d371a5c4d.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-90820f6fe6404fc0a84797db2956aec8.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-67b00c65977c47949a72f0afe06d66a7.jpeg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-cf8d43cc64b94a35bc80269515e45f0d.png

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-615054f5155d4c148076550e0fd65b61.png

Happy and safe riding, hope this helps.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 11:21   #3375
Senior - BHPian

My KYT RC7 (7 years old) is well past its sell-by date but I am unable to find a good replacement.

Requirements:
1. D-Ring fastener
2. No internal sun visor

I'm amazed that MT has watered down their offerings by offering a ratchet fastener even at the 8k price range! Visited Motonation on JC Road but they had only Axor or SMK. Both of which had internal sun visors. I was okay to let that be but the designs didn't appeal to me either. Visited Orion Motors but nothing appealed to me there too. In a conversation with the store, they said they are expecting new batches to come in by April 2022.

I was looking for a good red on white helmet. Max budget is Rs.10,000. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 14th December 2021 at 11:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks