Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2010, 18:02   #376
Senior - BHPian

Sparkx Helmet

Got Sparkx helmet from Orion Motors, they had a discount on 3 models.
Original price was 8K, discounted price 5.5K. Considering the fit and finish plus reviews am very happy with the deal.

Here are the pics :
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sparx_front_web.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sparkx_back_web.jpg  

Old 17th November 2010, 19:17   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
On the helmet part i hope its a snug fit. The pads break in after some time so its always better that a new helmet is a wee bit tight when you wear it for the first time. Most important - the helmet should not move a lot and should be a snug fit (else it can break a riders neck). Otherwise it looks really hot in red and will compliment the green ninja well. Whats the name of this design though? IIRC its the Torino?

Which DSG gloves are those? I hope those protectors are carbon fiber/kevlar.

Do let me know if you need anything else. Hope you get the delivery of your bike tomorrow.
Hey bro, thanks. The helmet is Sparx s-07 fits very well and pretty snug, slightly tight but as you said tight enough to fit perfectly once it gets broken in.

The gloves are DSG carbon, here is the link :

DSG Carbon Gloves : Black - Rs2,750.00
Fits well and feel nice too.

Cant wait to get the call from the Probiking showroom tomorrow.
Old 17th November 2010, 19:38   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Buy LS2 helmets. You can get one for 3k after some bargaining and the quality is pretty good too. These carry ECE 22.05 approval ratings.
Thanks. I checked it on vegaauto.com. Will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
@abhijeet- fit is important, a snug fit helmet won't put any weight on any of your other body parts & shall remain glued to your head.

In the shop keep wearing the helmet for 10 mins. (no matter what anyone says), take it off/on a couple of times and generally the up scale you go with your budget, the helmet shall be lighter retaining the safety ratings.

LS2 and Cross are two brands which are popular and should serve you well.

^^How are Index Helmets? Had seen a green 10R guy in Delhi wearing one.
Thanks for the advice. The first time I got my GP1 was because I was in love with the design, though I checked it for fit and comfort. It might look odd, but what you say is important. I will do it before buying.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:06   #379
Senior - BHPian

Its time to replace my trusty old Vemar helmet, have had it for 3 years and its withstood quite a abuse.
I am keen on LS2 and Cross helmets as I believe they will fit in my budget of 4K max.

Can anyone direct me to the shops that stock these? I've seen quite a few helmet shops on the Link Road in Bombay. Will try them all.

Hopefully there is something at the Autocar Performance Show.
Old 18th November 2010, 11:17   #380
Team-BHP Support

Posting the link for reference for price & features.

New Arrivals - The Helmet Shoppe

(You can buy on-line)

AH Helmets is a good shop to buy LS2 & Cross. Located in Jogeshwari West.

Go for the brand which has clear visor if you are into night riding.

A.H. helmets
Old 19th November 2010, 10:59   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting the link for reference for price & features.

New Arrivals - The Helmet Shoppe

(You can buy on-line)

AH Helmets is a good shop to buy LS2 & Cross. Located in Jogeshwari West.

Go for the brand which has clear visor if you are into night riding.

A.H. helmets
Thanks for this Sheel.
Quite like the Vega Shadow and Studds Scorpion and am surprised to see these prices on Indian helmets. I hope they are as good as they look in the pictures.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2010, 21:03   #382
Senior - BHPian

i've got a few questions regarding the visor/shield:

1.During the Day: the usual transparent/clear ones don't really help when the sun is in your face.the sun rays break on it and get refracted/focused right onto the face.so would the black/mercury tinted visors help in this aspect?

2.During the Night: the headlight beam of the on-coming traffic causes astigmatism (the light disperses and appears as radiating lines instead of a dot) on my 700 bucks lid with transparent/clear visor.so would the black/mercury tinted visors help in this aspect? but wouldn't the tinted ones hinder the night-visibility?

i leave in the afternoon and come back at night, so i need something that sees to both my problems.
and how much would the cheapest indian-make lid that comes with a removable/washable inner lining cost?

Last edited by shyn : 21st November 2010 at 21:11.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:30   #383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
1.During the Day: the usual transparent/clear ones don't really help when the sun is in your face.the sun rays break on it and get refracted/focused right onto the face.so would the black/mercury tinted visors help in this aspect?
Yes

Quote:
2.During the Night: the headlight beam of the on-coming traffic causes astigmatism (the light disperses and appears as radiating lines instead of a dot) on my 700 bucks lid with transparent/clear visor.so would the black/mercury tinted visors help in this aspect? but wouldn't the tinted ones hinder the night-visibility?
It is strictly recommended to ride at night with a clear visor, the tinted/mercury visor severely reduces your visibility & can be a potential hazard.

Quote:
i leave in the afternoon and come back at night, so i need something that sees to both my problems.
There are two options.

1) You may carry a clear visor with you and inter-change it. (less fiddly with lids costing 2K, doesn't need a screw-driver)
2) Wear a sun-glass inside your clear visor and take it off while coming back.
Quote:
and how much would the cheapest indian-make lid that comes with a removable/washable inner lining cost?
Check with your local shops.

Please buy the costliest you can, it is for the sake of your own head & safety.

Cheers
Old 21st November 2010, 22:11   #384
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

1) You may carry a clear visor with you and inter-change it. (less fiddly with lids costing 2K, doesn't need a screw-driver)
very true. Takes less than a minute to swap the visors. The tinted one takes a little more time in conditions of low light, during installation.

Quote:

Please buy the costliest you can, it is for the sake of your own head & safety.
Find a Snell rated helmet. I just bought a seven 0 seven from cyclegear. Its priced at just 112 $.

When riding I keep the spare visor along the curve of my hip, inside the jacket. This keeps it safe from scratches and easy to reach when I want to change it.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:36   #385
BHPian

On the contrary, DONT BUY A SNELL RATED HELMET. Snell testing standards were harder than others, namely DOT and ECE22.05 and only Snell 2005 helmets are not the ones to go for. The reason for that is because they put too much stress on High energy impacts and don't test much for milder hits. In fact, many EU helmets meet ECE and DOT but no Snell, and they are still one of the best.

Snell 2010 is a new standard and there isn't much information found on it. I haven't bothered to check either on that, so I suggest check on the net for company's background and their actual certification information available with the companies. Your head are safest in an ECE or DOT certified helmet.

OT, Sportbiketrackgear is offering EXO 400/700/1000 at a real cheap price. Go get one if you have someone coming from US. Shipping is 40/50$ but USPS has a habit to get stuck with customs (mine did). So choose for FedEx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Find a Snell rated helmet. I just bought a seven 0 seven from cyclegear. Its priced at just 112 $.

When riding I keep the spare visor along the curve of my hip, inside the jacket. This keeps it safe from scratches and easy to reach when I want to change it.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:45   #386
Team-BHP Support

But as far as I know, a Snell helmet would have to meet DOT standards to be sold in the US.

Quote:
http://www.smf.org/articles/dot.html

In fact, Snell certified helmets do meet DOT. If you want to be sure that your helmet meets the DOT standard, get a Snell certified helmet. Manufacturers apply for and earn Snell certification because they care about quality. These are the very manufacturers for whom the honor system works. A Snell sticker is your best assurance that the helmet meets both Snell and DOT. Without our sticker, it's purely a gamble that the helmet meets any standard at all.

And I am a little confused, you are saying that a Snell helmet will save you from a heavy impact but not a milder one? Can you please clarify.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...met/index.html

Last edited by bblost : 22nd November 2010 at 12:48.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:17   #387
Senior - BHPian

SparX helmets are available on closeout for as less as 42 USD.

Check this out : Motorcycle Parts, Motorcycle Accessories ? BikeBandit.com

I ordered one for a close friend (shipped within USA to his colleague) and it was delivered in less than 48 hours. The colleague had to bring it down to India for him though.

Very good deal if you ask me. My SparX cost me around 8.5k (special edition). Some are on sale in Orion Yamaha blore for as low as 5.5k but the above closeout deal cost him only 2.8k for the lid.

SparX helmets are ECE22.05 and DOT certified.

Check out this link for a review - SparX S-07 Helmet - webBikeWorld
Old 22nd November 2010, 20:40   #388

AGV is the best. I use a 2005 made, AGV helmet in the US whenever I ride my RED machine in weekends. It's a replica of the world's greatest rider aka Valentino Rossi. Mind you, it comes with a price - if one looks in INR

Also, in India getting such a helmet would be somewhat difficult if not impossible. Best is to ask any friends of yours to get it from abroad. Good luck!
Old 24th November 2010, 17:01   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
very true. Takes less than a minute to swap the visors. The tinted one takes a little more time in conditions of low light, during installation.

Imran bhai, where in HYD can i get decently nice lids? the ones with removable/inter-changable visors + removable/washable inner lining.my budget being 1500.
Old 25th November 2010, 11:17   #390
BHPian

All Snell certified helmets will eventually meet DOT, because DOT is the most relaxed safety standard of the three we normally know, ECE22.05, SNELL M2005 and DOT. The problem with SNELL M2005 standards was that it gave very high importance to high energy impacts but ignored the importance of low energy impacts. So technically speaking, SNELL says that we want to know how hard you can hit the ground and still walk away. As for DOT, they do have their own energy impact level, which I don't remember correctly. But the fact here is that the helmets sold in Europe are definitely safer than with all DOT and SNELL ratings. Actually, EU didn't allow SNELL M2005 certified helmets to be sold for street riders at all.

PS: Just found THE link for it.
Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine

I read this study a long time back and it is a long read, but a very interesting one. One may want to say that I may produce a few more such links, but the things explained here are very very reasonable.

Quote:
But as far as I know, a Snell helmet would have to meet DOT standards to be sold in the US.

And I am a little confused, you are saying that a Snell helmet will save you from a heavy impact but not a milder one? Can you please clarify.

How to Buy a Motorcycle Helmet - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

Shark, Shoei, Schuberth, OGK and some others are equally good, my friend, but then, they never make it to US or don't bother to make/sell it in US. Isn't that funny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennarossi View Post
AGV is the best. I use a 2005 made, AGV helmet in the US whenever I ride my RED machine in weekends. It's a replica of the world's greatest rider aka Valentino Rossi. Mind you, it comes with a price - if one looks in INR

Also, in India getting such a helmet would be somewhat difficult if not impossible. Best is to ask any friends of yours to get it from abroad. Good luck!

Most Viewed