Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 13:40   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I have asked this question here before, but it remains unanswered. Where in India can I get a motorbike helmet for my 5 year old son?
Just to clarify, he already has a bicycle helmet so I am not looking for that.
In a helmet shop where i bought my first pair of gloves in Bangalore 3 years ago, there were helmets exclusively for kids. It was available in different sizes and colors. These were not the NXT type half helmets. They felt quite strong and the guy said he manufactures them himself and is made of some kind of fiber and not plastic and hence they are quite strong.

Let me know if you need me to check with him if they still get stock of them. Can arrange for it to be sent to you if you wish.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 20:05   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
In a helmet shop where i bought my first pair of gloves in Bangalore 3 years ago, there were helmets exclusively for kids.
@abhinav.s: can you please provide the address or landmark of the helmet shop, i live in bangalore too and would love to buy one for my kid!
Old 26th September 2011, 11:53   #543
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Hi All,

I am looking for doual visor Indian made helmet in an around NCR (as I am here for 2 weeks now). Please let me know of your suggestions on the brand/model and the location to get the original stuff. Also thinking of getting a pair of nice riding gloves.

I will be using these with my new Royal Enfield Classic Chrome that is arriving first week of Oct.
Old 26th September 2011, 11:59   #544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
I am looking for doual visor Indian made helmet in an around NCR (as I am here for 2 weeks now). Please let me know of your suggestions on the brand/model and the location to get the original stuff.
Get a Vega Boolean. It has a dual visor.

Last edited by n_aditya : 27th September 2011 at 10:33.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:02   #545
BHPian

Thanks Prateekm.

There is this shop called The Helmet Shoppe at Delhi. Any one has any feedback on the same? Their website looks pretty OK and has quite a lot of stuff. I found Studds 3G with dual visor also apart from Vega. Any sugestions?
Old 26th September 2011, 13:55   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Thanks Prateekm.

There is this shop called The Helmet Shoppe at Delhi. Any one has any feedback on the same? Their website looks pretty OK and has quite a lot of stuff. I found Studds 3G with dual visor also apart from Vega. Any sugestions?
Don't go with the Studds 3G. From personal experience and also one other guy in my group had picked it. The build quality gives way in 5-6 months and the plastics get to brittle.

Go with the Vega Boolean (Full Face) or Vega Eclipse (Half Face - Full Visor and dual visor inside). Also, stick with the plain ones, the reason being the flaps on the sides do end up breaking or getting spoilt in the long run if you try changing the visors and getting the plain ones from dealer is easier. However, if you have a particular design on it you will find it difficult to source as the decals/designs keep on changing.
Old 28th September 2011, 06:29   #547
BHPian

Thanks Mantrig.

Anyone knows of any good shop at Gurgaon where I can pick up the original Vega Boolean helmets?
Old 28th September 2011, 10:57   #548
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

About 16 years back when I bought my helmet Studs was the main company and they had something that they called "Kevlar Mix" in their top of the line range then - A rather large helmet with an openable Airvent near the chin. It cost Rs. 3500 then and came with some fancy graphics in a metallic black.

Kevlar as we know is tougher than Steel and much lighter - Something like using Carbon fiber.

I have checked many times over the years for mention of use of Kevlar in helmets currently in sale but seen nothing of that kind.

That Helmet is still with me and it did have a major role in saving me in my first skid in the first monsoon drive on the first day that I used the helmet. The helmet never touched ground after than though I did once without the helmet.

An Helmet with Kevlar mixed should be light and strong - now a days the mention is of Polycarbonate and Carbon Fiber only it seems.

There is a helmet review in the latest OverDrive mega issue.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:03   #549
Senior - BHPian

Recently purchased a Vega Boolean here at Pune for 1800 bucks along with a Balaclava. Bought a Vega for 3 reasons. 1. It will be used for city rides only and I will have to put a stop on touring for a few years as the bike crash that happened in January almost claimed my life and my folks dont want me to spend a lot of time woth bike. Plus, my automob. design course here is keeping me busy. Hence, no AGV or LS2 as planned earlier.
2. Vega offroad style helmet saved my life in january after crashing head on at v-max of my 220. That means am now close to the brand.
3. Boolean has this feature where the front can be opened upwards and that should be convenient as generally I used to pull over and take off the lid everytime I used to get a phone call. Now, no headache of removing it everytime I have to attend a call.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 30th September 2011 at 19:06.
Old 2nd October 2011, 20:24   #550
BHPian

Are half-face helmets dangerous (I'm referring to the helmets that open up)?

I ask this because while reading the guidelines posted by Royal Enfield for their rides they mention that the rider must have a correctly fitting full face helmet (Helmets that open up and become half-face are not allowed).
Old 2nd October 2011, 21:53   #551
Team-BHP Support

They are called modular helmets. They are not as safe as a full face helmet. As, if the impact happens in the chin area and the helmet supposedly opens up due to the impact/mechanism failure, it won't paint a very happy feature.

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd October 2011 at 21:55.
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:13   #552
BHPian

Went ahead and bought the LS2 Dream:
Internet quoted price : 3200-3500
Got it from a Helmet shop in Thane for 2600/-
The fit is just perfect The size I got was "L"
The best thing is the inner lining which is completely removable and washable !!
Some pics for you all
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-3.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-4.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-5.jpg  

Attached Images

schitre05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 23:40   #553
BHPian

Found this AGV K3 Helmet.
<<http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/20009/CITEM/AGV-K3-Evil-Helmet-Closeouts.aspx>>
The Red Helmet that I liked is available only in Small.

My headsize is 21 6/8" (55.3 CM). From the size chart <<http://www.agv.com/sizechart.phtml>>
"S" would be perfect fit.

K-3 owners please suggest if the helmets are actually as mentioned on the sizing chart.
I am asking a friend to bring this from the US. I will loose a lot of money if it does not fit me.

Please help/advice.
Old 7th October 2011, 08:10   #554
BHPian

Hi All,

Any suggestion on a good shop to buy quality Indian brand original helmets at Hyderabad? I am told to be careful of the price and fake products. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 7th October 2011, 17:12   #555
Senior - BHPian

i am really happy to see this thread, as many a times i have had accidents on my CBZ and it was the helmet which was the saviour along with my CF gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-helmetshelmetsmotorcyclesdemotivationalposter1211522799.jpg  

Most Viewed