Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 20:07   #601
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

OT, but heard that the cops are having a drive against non-ISI helmets and they are stopping riders wearing imported helmets like LS2, Dajiya, SparX etc in Mumbai under the JJ Flyover. Anybody having a personal experience of being stopped/fined?
Old 19th December 2011, 21:13   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
OT, but heard that the cops are having a drive against non-ISI helmets and they are stopping riders wearing imported helmets like LS2, Dajiya, SparX etc in Mumbai under the JJ Flyover. Anybody having a personal experience of being stopped/fined?

I had a similar but strange problem, here in Kolkata. I was not allowed to park my bike inside my office parking lot because I was wearing a DOT certified helmet. Took me about 2 days and a couple of mails to convince my admin that mine's kind of better than ISI.
Old 20th December 2011, 00:47   #603

Hi!
In the Army,, we've got a rule sayin that only ISI Helmets are approved,,, Havin an original ARAI,, it took me time convincing people that its much better than a Studds or Areostar!! LOL!

Note from Mod : Please use proper punctuation, not multiples. Please ensure you see point #2 in THIS THREAD before continuing. Thanks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th December 2011 at 15:12. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
Old 20th December 2011, 09:40   #604
Senior - BHPian

Hi Bala, that means ARAI helmets must be available in the CSD, is my guess correct? BTW, where have you been these days? Tied up?

Spike
Old 20th December 2011, 10:26   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Is there any way to check out if an imported helmet is genuine or not? E.g., how would I know that the LS2 that I'm getting a great deal on, is not a dud?
I'm not really sure if the LS2 you are buying or wearing today IS a genuinely tested and CE approved helmet like it says so on the helmet. Reason? Well the CE certification is a mere sticker that is pasted on the outer shell which anyone can do. All someone needs to do is mass produce a similar helmet and paste the sticker which could be happening for all we know.

A genuine "trustworthy" helmet will have the certification codes like ECE 22.05 or Snell or DOT embossed or printed on the shell of the helmet.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 12:44   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I'm not really sure if the LS2 you are buying or wearing today IS a genuinely tested and CE approved helmet like it says so on the helmet. Reason? Well the CE certification is a mere sticker that is pasted on the outer shell which anyone can do. All someone needs to do is mass produce a similar helmet and paste the sticker which could be happening for all we know.

A genuine "trustworthy" helmet will have the certification codes like ECE 22.05 or Snell or DOT embossed or printed on the shell of the helmet.
So does that mean if the DOT/Snell/ECE code is printed on the shell, it's a genuine? Asking this because my LS2 has it embossed on the shell but the SparX that I was about to buy the other day had an ECE sticker.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:17   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
So does that mean if the DOT/Snell/ECE code is printed on the shell, it's a genuine? Asking this because my LS2 has it embossed on the shell but the SparX that I was about to buy the other day had an ECE sticker.
Thats wierd. My SparX has the certification code embossed, while on all the LS2's i have seen so far, its always a sticker.

I would suggest you to check in another shop if you're buying the SparX. Make sure it has the codes embossed on the shell.
Old 20th December 2011, 14:30   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats wierd. My SparX has the certification code embossed, while on all the LS2's i have seen so far, its always a sticker.
My recent purchase of the LS2 also has a sticker with the ECE code at the back. Could not help but go with it since I needed a lid for my long rides and needed it ASAP. Got the LS2 FF350-2 for around 2600 bucks, so went with it. Got it from the same guy from whom i am purchasing helmets for quite a few years so just went by his word that it was genuine.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:02   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Someone I know of was stopped AND fined at the JJ flyover for wearing a non ISI (DOT approved) helmet.

Guess with the new regulation coming in it will be very difficult for us to convince the cops. They have the directive given to them and see this as an opportunity to make an extra buck

All riders with DOT approved helmets better watch out
Old 20th December 2011, 19:24   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Someone I know of was stopped AND fined at the JJ flyover for wearing a non ISI (DOT approved) helmet.

Guess with the new regulation coming in it will be very difficult for us to convince the cops. They have the directive given to them and see this as an opportunity to make an extra buck

All riders with DOT approved helmets better watch out
That's pathetic! I have to go to South Mumbai maybe tomorrow, looks like I will have to avoid the JJ Flyover route altogether or wear my Vega helmet which has been unused for an year. Are they having these checks on other places in town too? On the JJ flyover route, on which way does this checking take place, going towards town or going towards Parel/Dadar? Also, do you know the exact amount of fine? Thanks.

Last edited by prateekm : 20th December 2011 at 19:26.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:37   #611
Senior - BHPian

As some of you may know, Bachoo Motors is the sole distributor in India for RJays products (gear, luggage, helmets, etc.) and is also now a distributor for Airoh Helmets, Italy. Here is a link to the official Airoh helmets website.

I searched for reviews on Airoh helmets here, but couldn't find any.

Orion Yamaha near Forum Mall, Blore, has quite a few of these helmets (they are retailers for Bachoo Motors) and i particularly had my eyes set on the Speed Fire One (link). The helmet is lighter than my SparX and the paint quality, fit and finish, graphics is excellent. This particular model is priced very reasonably too (around Rs. 7.5k at Orion) compared to the price of Rs. 8.5k i paid for my SparX. I was so tempted that i almost bought this lid. It looks really awesome in the flesh.

Most imported helmets are manufactured in China or Korea or some other Asian country (A* products are mass produced in China, my bionic knee guards are genuine A* but made in China) but the Airoh's are Made in Italy and are DOT certified.

I would highly recommend this helmet in lieu of SparX, KBC, etc. for the price point at which it is offered.

Orion also has HJC helmets at a festive price until stocks last. The HJC's are on sale for 7k onwards and there is a Rs. 500/- off on purchase of each HJC lid until stocks last. These are DOT certified.

Personally i am not a fan of the graphics on the HJC's but for those who are on the lookout for a good helmet this price and the ongoing offer should be helpful.

P.S. I have no personal association or gains with/from any of the above products or retailers/distributors. Posting this info for the benefit of the community.

Last edited by n_aditya : 23rd December 2011 at 15:41.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 21:51   #612
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need to get a full face helmet with lift mechanism for my wife(a la Ninja). She would not go for full face to start with so one with a lift mech is what well make her used to wearing helmets.

I have looked at Ninja (i have one) and boolean from Vega (India) but none of them come in size S. Can any one suggest a good alternative to these in size S ?

Also, do suggest a sturdy helmet lock which can secure 2 full face helmets. The usual ones do not have enough room for the Ninja.

Thanks,
Old 5th January 2012, 23:30   #613
Senior - BHPian

Bought LS2 modular FF386 from probiker shop at Camp, Pune. Cost me 4000 odd. Initially was considering Index open face helmet at 2600 bucks from Funky's but ultimately ended up getting this.

I felt probiker shop to be professional than Funkys.

This helmet has an additional built in sun visor(mercury/mirror coated), which helps against glare. haven't tested on highways yet, but it's a snug fit and I like it so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-medscalels2ff386rideflipfrontmotorcyclehelmet1.jpg  

Last edited by kuttapan : 5th January 2012 at 23:42.
Old 6th January 2012, 13:24   #614
BHPian

Quote:

My LS2 Dragon has DOT printed on the rear of the shell. Check this post

Am confused if the helmet carries a genuine certification or not.

Last edited by MurtazaGhiya : 6th January 2012 at 13:28.
Old 9th January 2012, 14:28   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurtazaGhiya View Post
Am confused if the helmet carries a genuine certification or not.
This should be as genuine as it can get. Dont worry. These helmets are safer than most of our ISI marked lid's.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks