Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 17:34   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I think the real Daijya are back, saw this in PlanetDsg website

Quote:
After a brief hiatus, Daijya helmets are back at our store but this time they are lighter, stronger, comfier and jazzier. 2011 range of Daijya helmets is built out of a high quality advanced fiberglass composite weave shell that offers the best of both – safety and weight-saving. The new helmets are lighter yet offer excellent resistance to impact and are designed to withstanding strong impacts.
Old 6th February 2012, 17:44   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
My friends have used it and it's a great helmet. I picked up the tribal graphite today.
Under 5k daijya, nuvo, ls2 are good.
Daijya and the likes are not wind tunnel tested for noise so they aren't quite; specially on the left side due to the glass flip button.
Anything above 10k go for arai or one of the European brands; much better choice at that price point.
A small update:
Returned my Daijya after using it for 20 kms - there is too much noise in the helmet at this price point. Reason: there's a toggle red button on the left side for the flip down in-built glasses. The protrusion seems to create a lot of turbulence over speeds of 65 kmph. The wind noise would abate the moment I would cover the red button with my palm. Using a balcalava or buff didnt help either.
My 2 cents: Test ride it before making any payments, specially if you tour long distance.

Nuvo is good but then at 6k it seems expensive. Better options start at about 8k. LS2 - there are a lot of fakes now in the market so be sure of what you are buying. In fact, the LS2 dragon is now being sold as Vega after re-badging due to IS certification requirement.
Old 6th February 2012, 18:27   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Read through the link which I have posted in the previous page. There is no reliable source for a company that makes these helmets. All I could find is a site that has reviewed the lid or some company that is importing and selling them. No clue on the manufacturer or country of origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Nirmal, apart from the places aditya mentioned, you can also try ordering online from Bachoo motors. They have very good helmet collections.
RJays helmets are slightly heavier than the average helmets but the finish, fit and quality of these lids are excellent.

Joe Rocket (available at Performance Racing Store / Orion Yamaha, Blore) are worth considering too. I love the carbon Fiber JR helmet. It comes in a nice deep red and a deep blue (2 colors as far as i have seen) and the finish is splendid.

Last edited by n_aditya : 6th February 2012 at 18:28.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:05   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

RJays helmets are slightly heavier than the average helmets but the finish, fit and quality of these lids are excellent.

Joe Rocket (available at Performance Racing Store / Orion Yamaha, Blore) are worth considering too. I love the carbon Fiber JR helmet. It comes in a nice deep red and a deep blue (2 colors as far as i have seen) and the finish is splendid.
Aditya, Bachoo motors have Airoh helmets now.
Old 6th February 2012, 19:38   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya

Check this out. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post1278701

In all probability the Daijya helmets which are sold in India are fake and have never undergone any kind of testing leave alone safety certifications.

I would suggest you to go for the SOL helmet or AGV, SparX or KBC. Just ensure the DOT certification is printed on the helmet shell and is not a sticker.

For a budget of 5k you can get the SOL helmet which is DOT certified and is available at Megha Enterprises (opp. MTR hotel). You might want to check out SparX at Tirumala Racing near JC road. Some SparX helmets are available for around 5-6k.

Sagar, the SOL helmets are sold under the GMAX brand name in the US markets. Here is a link to the review of this helmet.

The LEDs come with a 3 speed setting. Constant ON and two speed blink rate. They are not exceptionally bright like the hyundai tail lamps () but do a good job in making you visible at night.

Since the helmet has many vents for air circulation, it can be quite noisy at triple digit speeds. If you ride with the vents closed then the noise level comes down drastically. I have seen and felt this helmet up close and its slightly heavier if not the same weight as my SparX but finish is very good. A VFM buy for the price range it is sold for.

1. Balaji helmets and Helmet paradise - bargain hard

2. Megha enterprises - genuine down to earth guy. refer my name if required. Ask for Gaurav. Nice chappie.

3. Tirumala Racing near JC rd.

Brands - KBC, SparX, AGV, SOL, etc. Just ensure the safety certification (DOT, SNELL, ECE22.05, etc) is printed on the shell. If its a sticker then in all probability its a fake lid.

Aditya, my budget is strictly 5k . I have already over stretched it from 4k . So anything above 5k is no no for me. So I doubt getting sparx below 5k. Even if I get I will be getting the basic model. Where as for sol , I will be getting a very decent helmet within my budget. So inclined towards it. And I do need good ventilation with summer around the corner.

I will visit megha helmet since they are the authorised dealers for sol.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:39   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I totally agree with Aditya's posts on Daijya. A high price does not necessarily equate to high quality. Especially when nothing is known about the origin of the brand. Try digging up that old thread on Daijya.

Quote:
..... Nuvo is good but then at 6k it seems expensive. Better options start at about 8k .....
+1
I would say that the Nuvo helmets should be priced in the Rs 3.5 - 4 k segment. 6k is actually too much to pay for it. And if one is spending 6k they might as well stretch a little more and invest in a better helmet available at 8k.
Old 6th February 2012, 23:51   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Read through the link which I have posted in the previous page. There is no reliable source for a company that makes these helmets. All I could find is a site that has reviewed the lid or some company that is importing and selling them. No clue on the manufacturer or country of origin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I totally agree with Aditya's posts on Daijya. A high price does not necessarily equate to high quality. Especially when nothing is known about the origin of the brand. Try digging up that old thread on Daijya.
Yeah i know back when the Daijya was launched in Bangalore, it was giving stiff competition to MPA AGV & GPR brands, i always suspected on the credibility of this brand, i was just searching on the net and found this article on Planet dsg
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 00:08   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah i know back when the Daijya was launched in Bangalore, it was giving stiff competition to MPA AGV & GPR brands, i always suspected on the credibility of this brand, i was just searching on the net and found this article on Planet dsg
IIRC Planet DSG were the primary sellers of Daijya earlier as well so they stand to benefit by pitching for the brand. Unfortunately most people dont know about its shady background (for want of a better word) so its important to let people know about it before which they can take an informed decision on whether or not they want to buy a Daijya helmet.

P.S - back in the day there was also a brand of good helmets called GP One. Those were the days!
Old 7th February 2012, 01:25   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho

Unfortunately most people dont know about its shady background (for want of a better word) so its important to let people know about it before which they can take an informed decision on whether or not they want to buy a Daijya helmet.

P.S - back in the day there was also a brand of good helmets called GP One. Those were the days!
Neil,
I agree to most of your posts but do not see any specific reason for you to be beating daijya & DSG black & blue.
They do provide an ECE certification certificate which in itself is a good certification.

This is a forum for the benefit of most & would appreciate if we use responsible comments.
Please provide data if you have.

Am reporting the post to the mods & please declare if you have a commercial affiliation.
Thanks!

I don't have any & I just returned a daijya helmet; however it doesn't mean they are shady.
Old 7th February 2012, 09:12   #670
Team-BHP Support

Nitin, have a look at the link which I have provided and the discussions which follow http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1278557
Old 7th February 2012, 10:07   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
Nitin, have a look at the link which I have provided and the discussions which follow http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1278557
Thanks for the link, Sheel. However, there are conflicting views on the link too.

To clarify have written the below email to DSG:
------
Hi,

Could you please confirm the origin of Daijya helmets & provide the source from where they are certified for ECE?
Am a part of an automotive community & all of us seem to have concerns around the origin / safety of the helmets.
A quick and credible response would be appreciated; possibly email IDs & a partnership confirmation from the parent company.

Thanks!
Nitin
-----
Let's see if & what's the response I receive.
nitin.rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 11:08   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Neil, I agree to most of your posts but do not see any specific reason for you to be beating daijya & DSG black & blue.
They do provide an ECE certification certificate which in itself is a good certification. This is a forum for the benefit of most & would appreciate if we use responsible comments. Please provide data if you have.

Am reporting the post to the mods & please declare if you have a commercial affiliation. Thanks! I don't have any & I just returned a daijya helmet; however it doesn't mean they are shady.
Nitin, from what Neil has posted he has only put forth his views in a polite and unbiased manner. There is also a link to the alleged authenticity of the said helmet on this very forum itself. Now this was posted in the interest of the community which you and all of us are here for

What is important is that there is no information about the origin of this helmet. Who is the manufacturer and what is the repute of the said helmet? Now it may look great and feel good and have a certification sticker pasted on its shell. But that does not mean the helmet has passed mandatory minimum safety certification tests in the market it is sold in. There are plenty of Cross and LS2's in the market that have "ECE 22.05 certified" stickers on their shell but what proof (or even information) does anyone have about their safety tests? I know for a fact that there is a factory in Budhwarpet, Pune that makes LS2 helmets and this is from a reliable source which I cannot reveal.

Helmets that have genuinely passed certification tests such as DOT, SNELL and ECE have the codes printed on the shell of the helmet, not stickered. Similar to stitching a Tommy or a CK label on a local garment.

Please take this post of mine in the right sense. I am not defending Neil and neither do I have any vested interest in any helmet brand. Your tone of voice in your post could have been softer and hence i have stepped in to clarify. That said, you are free to report posts and we shall do our bit.

Thanks!

Edit - Almost forgot, do let us know what DSG says in response to your email.

Last edited by n_aditya : 7th February 2012 at 11:11.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 11:42   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
Nitin, from what Neil has posted he has only put forth his views in a polite and unbiased manner. There is also a link to the alleged authenticity of the said helmet on this very forum itself.
Helmets that have genuinely passed certification tests such as DOT, SNELL and ECE have the codes printed on the shell of the helmet, not stickered.
Please take this post of mine in the right sense. I am not defending Neil and neither do I have any vested interest in any helmet brand. Your tone of voice in your post could have been softer and hence i have stepped in to clarify. That said, you are free to report posts and we shall do our bit.
Thanks!
Edit - Almost forgot, do let us know what DSG says in response to your email.
Hey Aditya,
I was just concerned with the word 'shady' and no offense meant to anyone on the forum. The internet is viral & the last thing i want is a biased view emerging out of a forum i have benefited so much. Akin to that; to each his own.
Am just trying to make sure that as a community we don't end up being unfair to a brand or person.

Here is the response I received:
----
Hi Nitin,

Thank you for your interest in our product.

Daijya is a registered brand for Dream Sporting Gear since early 2011. We are surprised about your concerns about safety of our helmets which conforms to and exceed ECE22.05 and welcome you to visit any store stocking the product and check the quality of our products in person. A personal inspection of our product should dispel all your doubts and hearsay in your community.

Regards,
PlanetDSG.com

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Nitin Rai wrote:
Hi,

Could you please confirm the origin of Daijya helmets & provide the source from where they are certified for ECE?
Am a part of an automotive community & all of us seem to have concerns around the origin / safety of the helmets.
A quick and credible response would be appreciated; possibly email IDs & a partnership confirmation from the parent company.

Thanks!
Nitin
----

The response seems like a vague politically correct one without stating any facts. I have re-iterated my query in response to their reply.

----
Hello,

Thank you for the quick response!

However, it still does not address our concerns. Reasons being below:
- the ECE certification needs to be embossed on the shell & not a sticker as per the norms if I understand correctly.
- would appreciate if the origin & parent company affiliation can be ascertained.
- not implying that daijya is one but there are a lot of chinese helmets with ECE & dot certification stickers available under 1000 Inr and they look amazing when it comes to fit & finish.

Hope you understand that it's my head am putting at risk by buying a helmet and would definitely need a clear source for the authenticity of the helmet.

Look forward to a quick response.
Thanks,
Nitin
-----
nitin.rai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 13:39   #674
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Shubz
Dear Sir,

I had a question about Daijya Helmets. I know that its only sold/marketed by PlanetDSG.

Would you be kind enough to tell me about the origins/country of manufacture etc about them?

I recently bought the Daijya G-Fit Samurai Grey weighing a whopping 1600 grams from Helmet Paradise in Bangalore. It does have ECE 22.05 "Sticker", not embossing.

I have seen a lot of people doubting its credibility. Please throw some light on the same. I personally do not believe in bashing any product without substantial proof of the same. But there will be an element of doubt in one's mind after so many comments on the same.

Your reply in this regard would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Shubz

Hi Shub,
Daijya is a registered trademark for DSG since early 2011. We now hold all rights for the brand and hence it's sold/marketed through our dealer network.
Certification stickers are "stuck" on helmets and not embossed. This is a standard norm across the world for practically all brands and not limited to our products.

There had been some misconceptions earlier about Daijya when we had a tie-up with Marushin helmets however Marushin brand is no longer Japan based and is now owned by JF Motorsports, Germany.

We can understand that you may have had some doubts but as you yourself possess a Daijya helmet, you can verify the quality of our product directly and weigh it against claims made by others who may never have even come across our helmets let alone seen a unit in hand. D-220 G-Fit Samurai in your possession is manufactured with a fibreglass shell against thermoplastic shells of our competing brands and is one of the only products in its class available in Indian market others being some select higher end models from KBC, Arai & Airoh. __________________

Last edited by Shubz : 7th February 2012 at 13:44. Reason: removed links as it seemed like i was advertising :)
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 14:16   #675
Senior - BHPian

Not intending to further "bash" the Daijya product but the DSG folks have still not confirmed where this lid is manufactured and which company does so. They confirm they own the rights and sell/market these through their network.

So as a customer it is only fair to ask/know:

1. who makes the product (credibility) since there seems to be no other search result for this product

2. what tests are conducted for consumer safety

I have nothing against this product or the dealer so please don't misconstrue my post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks