Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 14:24   #706
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Guys,

Can't really spend a lot of moolah on a lid ( currently ).
But - need a lid ( benchmarked LS2 ).

I am riding on a boolean- which should have been replaced long back - but- better now it happens.

One more thing regarding the "new buy"- I intend to use it in a Karting- which I am doing it often now and -at an event also.

So 2 questions:

1. Are bike Helmets ( LS2 ) good enough for Karting?

2. Any lighter but safer option better or equally good as LS2 ( in under 4K? )

I have read a couple of pages here- and I see Cross/Airoh being compared.

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 13th March 2012 at 14:27.
Old 15th March 2012, 18:21   #707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
1. Are bike Helmets ( LS2 ) good enough for Karting?

2. Any lighter but safer option better or equally good as LS2 ( in under 4K? )
A good helmet that fits snugly over the head is good enough for karting.

For question #2, please take a look at Sol helmets available at Megha Enterprises, Lalbagh Road, in front of MTR hotel. These are DOT certified.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2012, 23:05   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

For question #2, please take a look at Sol helmets available at Megha Enterprises, Lalbagh Road, in front of MTR hotel. These are DOT certified.
Hey- Thanks for the help.
But- SOL ones - I found, aren't available in my size! <damn>
And- the owner was really not looking interested - on asking when will they arrive if I ask for a particular size!

So- I have narrowed the requirement upto 2 models-
LS2 ( F358) - inflatable lining one - (quoted 3.3K)
Pro- Quality of build!
Con- Visor is only Chrome finish!
( and the vendor says- no clear visor available- and again- after that- there is no availability of replacement visor!!)
^ Can anyone please confirm the Visor availability for this model?
-- the visor is of quick-removal-type.

Cross - inflatable lining one - (quoted 3K)
Pro- Well- inflatable- so could be as snug as I want! and still be loose enough for sedate use!
Visor is same as normal LS2 - available in abundance- and also "clear" visor available!
Cons- Build quality takes a hit which is far more than the 300 bucks difference wrt LS2!

currently, I am biased towards LS2 - but the non-availability of visors- is not acceptable!
Thanks,

Ace.
Old 18th March 2012, 11:59   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
Well I got the helmet. Turns out That the size was wrong.. I would suggest you got for at least 2 sizes larger than what the chart recommends.

I had the helmet returned to Sunny.

When the correct size came, the Helmet box was damaged and the helmet was cracked. I have returned the helmet last week and now wait to get the money back.

Not sure if I will again spend 5k on a couriered helmet!

Have you bought it yet ? My suggestion is that you avoid buying till you don't try the helmet on in the store itself.

Sol helmets have been very helpful as they can't help the poor courier service (DHL). But I will have to think twice before getting a courier for a helmet !
I purchased the helmet few weeks back from their authorised dealer in bangalore.I have posted the pic a couple of pages back too.

I am happy with the helmet. I have got the Medium size after trying it out in the shop and it fits snugly.Though the air vents create a racket of noise.But i am happy with the air flow! Even i purchased it for 5K all inclusive of taxes. I suggest you go ahead and get this helmet.Its a VFM buy for 5K rupees.Hope you get your issues sorted out soon and get a proper helmet
Old 19th March 2012, 13:30   #710
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the tip, I did select a helmet which gave me the best snug fit!

Cross (ECER 22-05) - (with inflatable cheek padding ) - 3K

Why over LS2 -
Well- Clear visor is something I felt suited me the best!
Its fit is almost equal to LS2 - with slightly lesser weight ( 50 grams !)
Availability of visor - not a problem ( at least in near future! - Normal LS2 visors are interchangeable )

What feels good-
Really cuts off a lot of noise ( at times just too much! )
Inflating makes it almost shake proof
Feels solid!

What needs some time-
Well - I was using The Boolean ( Guilty-as charged! )- but one BIG advantage was I could wear my specs and put on and take off my helmet - but, now any attempt like that would hurt!
But- for the protection, inconvenience is a small price!

Overall - this purchase is very much upto my expectation.

Thanks for the help and Thanks to all on thread for the suggestions and feedback.

Ace.

P.S. If I had the time to wait- I would have gone for SOL one.

Last edited by driverace : 19th March 2012 at 13:33.
Old 24th March 2012, 18:17   #711
J.Ravi

Today, my son bought a LS2 helmet costing Rs 2350 [after negotiation] from Gaurav Goel of Megha Enterprises, opposite MTR, Lalbagh Road, to give company to his Royal Enfield Classic 500 Black. He also got a bag [with Thai inscriptions] and two caps along with the helmet.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc05788.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc05790.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc05792.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-dsc05794.jpg
  (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 20:39   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
and two caps along with the helmet.
The two cap promotional stuff is followed by almost all the stores out there I guess.

Recently I took a friend along to buy a helmet at Helmet Paradise, even he got two caps for free. Don't know how good/bad they are, as that fellow quickly pocketed both of them (he thought I may take one)
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 21:03   #713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Recently I took a friend along to buy a helmet at Helmet Paradise, even he got two caps for free. Don't know how good/bad they are, as that fellow quickly pocketed both of them (he thought I may take one)
The sweat caps being handed out free is of ok quality. They last for about 5-6 months with daily use! But pocketing them thinking you will take one is downright hilarious. It is not as if they cost a bomb and you will take one for free!! They cost all of 10 or 20 bucks each..!!
Old 28th March 2012, 11:48   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
The two cap promotional stuff is followed by almost all the stores out there I guess.
+1. I bought a full face LS2 for my wife around a year back and got a balaclava and a skullcap free.

I always use a balaclava or a skull cap since it absorbs sweat and doesnt make my lid smelly and damp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
The sweat caps being handed out free is of ok quality. They last for about 5-6 months with daily use!
+1. The quality is average. If nothing they expand quite a bit and then it becomes uncomfortable to wear. I'd suggest a balaclava instead. Cramster sells their balaclava's for some 200 odd bucks and they are pretty good for that price. These also have expanded over time but since the material is very thin its like second skin over the head. Not like a thick towel which is uncomfortable like those worn out expanded skull caps

P.S. Abhinav, no offense meant

Last edited by n_aditya : 28th March 2012 at 11:49.
Old 28th March 2012, 11:58   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..Not like a thick towel which is uncomfortable like those worn out expanded skull caps
P.S. Abhinav, no offense meant
Now that is a hilarious comparison and no, no offense taken.

I normally use the sweat cap for city use since balaclava becomes too stuffy in traffic and afternoon heat specially with an LS2 even with the vents open. But for long rides its always a balaclava! Cramster balaclava has lasted for nearly 15000kms of touring and like you said it has expanded a bit but fits really well even after being expanded. Still going strong and will probably last quite a lot more tours.
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:13   #716
BHPian

Hi guys, my friend is getting some riding gear before he gets the CBR 250R.

He is considering the Airoh pit one XR which is avaliable for 14.4k

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pit-one-xr-power_1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pit-one-xr-power_2.jpg

My question to you'll: Is the helmet worth buying? OR Will one in the likes of an LS2 suffice?

PS: The price is steep, but he does not want to compromise on safety.
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:38   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
He is considering the Airoh pit one XR which is avaliable for 14.4k. My question to you'll: Is the helmet worth buying? OR Will one in the likes of an LS2 suffice? PS: The price is steep, but he does not want to compromise on safety.
AFAIK, Airoh helmets are Sharp certified. But the above model is not listed here, even with discontinued models checkbox ticked. Anyway it does make sense to invest in this over an LS2 helmet. The quality, fit and finish and attention to detail is light years ahead of the LS2.
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:35   #718
BHPian

Bought a new lid after a lot of searching. I liked it from the first moment I saw it even though wasn't sure if it would go well with my Maroon RE C500. But somewhere inside I knew this was the one! Couldn't click pics of it, but got one off the net and here it is.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ls2-ff350combat.jpg

First saw this at Balaji Helmet and knew the price at first hand was a rip-off, was quoted INR 3500 and after 15% discount final was INR 2950. The sales guy was being nicer and offered a further INR 100 discount and freebies like a balaclava & two skull caps free. Having read several such rip-off's by Balaji Helmet, I mentioned about Helmet Paradise and immediately came the reply - both are owned by us and showed us the visiting cards. This was already known based on some older posts by BHPians. But still went ahead and gave it a shot at Helmet Paradise and it so happens that due to some family feud they indeed have split and are now the fiercest competitors or thats how it was made to sound. Anyways after several helmets tried and still the mind fixed on the LS 2 Combat model, I finally got it for INR 2500 with two skull caps free (quite expected!) at Helmet Paradise.
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:53   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
Bought a new lid after a lot of searching. I liked it from the first moment I saw it even though wasn't sure if it would go well with my Maroon RE C500. But somewhere inside I knew this was the one! Couldn't click pics of it, but got one off the net and here it is.
Attachment 911338
nice one! hope you're not really going into combat with that on!

btw, did you get the visor with the tint or the clear one?
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 10:49   #720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by si1ver0ne View Post
Thats a nice looking lid. Not trying to pop your bubble but research indicates that yellow and white are best colors for a helmet since they are easily spotted. Grey and black tend to blend into the background and are harder to spot. I would suggest you to stick some yellow reflective tapes/stickers on various points of the helmet for your safety.

P.S. Looks like a matt finished shell. Do take care of it since matt finishes are more prone to scratches and get dull pretty quick.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks