Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2012, 21:55   #796
Team-BHP Support

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
The helmet acted so well that I didn't even feel any shock or anything when my head hit the ground. Now, the helmet 'looks' okay and received only a couple of scratches due to the fall but am in a mood to buy a new helmet as it is said that a helmet is good enough for only one crash.
Very good call on changing your helmet.
To repeat something that has been mentioned before.

A helmet has two layers.
The hard outer layer and a soft inner layer. The inner layer deforms to cushion the head. Once deformed it never regains its shape and flex.
Its very difficult to visually identify if it has been pressed down.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 21:56   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton for the info. I usually use my bike for highway trips ONLY and hence, the wind noise need to be under check.

PS- How much should a Daijya set me back by? What model do you use and for how much you bought it?

Thanks.
You are welcome. Yes wind noise is bad. I bought ir for 4.5 K and at that price I expected it to perform well on that count. But mind you, I ride an avenger that too without a wind shield. This along with the upright seating must be having some effect on the noise and it may reduce with a more sporty seating position, but I cant be sure of that. As of now it is bad.
Actually there is a retractable drop down visor which can be controlled by a knob outside. It is from here that most noise gets in. When I cover the knob with hand I can feel a difference. Will try and put a tape on it and check how the noise is.

Daijya G-Fit Dragon Helmet: D-220 Blue - 4,750.00Rs

This is my model G-Fit

Last edited by vibbs : 15th July 2012 at 21:58.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2012, 22:00   #798
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@vibbs- The helmet you are using seems to be a good buy but the wind noise has set me a tad worried. Anyway, do let me know about the end result once you have taped the 'culprit'.

Regards
Old 15th July 2012, 22:04   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys.

@vibbs- The helmet you are using seems to be a good buy but the wind noise has set me a tad worried. Anyway, do let me know about the end result once you have taped the 'culprit'.

Regards
Before you make the buying decision, please be informed, that quite a few doubts have been raised on the authenticity of Daijya brand. This has been discussed quite a bit here too I guess. I was not aware of the same before buying else would have reconsidered. Suggest you read through all that before finalising.

EDIT: Read these threads http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...t-78-a-44.html
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post1278701

Last edited by vibbs : 15th July 2012 at 22:09.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:10   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Before you make the buying decision, please be informed, that quite a few doubts have been raised on the authenticity of Daijya brand. This has been discussed quite a bit here too I guess. I was not aware of the same before buying else would have reconsidered. Suggest you read through all that before finalising.
Sounds scary to say the least. Can you provide me some more info on this?

As for buying of a genuine Daijya helmet, that is not much of an issue as I'll be purchasing the helmet from DSG Store, Pune ( of the DSG website fame) and the owner of DSG personally knows my editor (I work for motoroids.com). Hence, I assume that nothing hanky phanky will happen in this regard.

The question that arises is if Daijya as a brand can be trusted.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:17   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds scary to say the least. Can you provide me some more info on this?

As for buying of a genuine Daijya helmet, that is not much of an issue as I'll be purchasing the helmet from DSG Store, Pune ( of the DSG website fame) and the owner of DSG personally knows my editor (I work for motoroids.com). Hence, I assume that nothing hanky phanky will happen in this regard.

The question that arises is if Daijya as a brand can be trusted.
That exactly is the question. Any search on google for daijya leads us to Planet DSG only. I guess DSG are the main distributors of the brand.

No other information at all. DSG does nt reveal who the manufacturers are. Infact since you know DSG owner, it would be great if you could probably get this out from them regarding the authenticity of the brand. Would be of a great help to prospective buyers. I have to live with my decision since I have already splurged more than 9K for two helmets atleast unless I find concrete evidence of them being fake or not upto the mark. But if you could find out from your contact it would indeed be helpful.
Old 15th July 2012, 22:27   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Would be of a great help to prospective buyers. I have to live with my decision since I have already splurged more than 9K for two helmets atleast unless I find concrete evidence of them being fake or not upto the mark. But if you could find out from your contact it would indeed be helpful.
I talked to the guy a month ago. As per what he said, the majority of LS2 that came to India is of 'inferior' quality and the manufacturer made the helmet less safer in order to make it cheaper. As per him, the model of LS2 that I bought for about INR 3K went for as little as INR 1800 towards the end of its tenure in market. If he is to be believed, the manufacturer of the helmet continued making the helmets cheaper and hence, less safe in order to push the sales.

However, he said nothing about Daijya helmets seeing a dip in quality. Still, I will talk to him again when I go helmet shopping next month. On vacations presently. Driving a car so won't need a new helmet before next month.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 18:44   #803
BHPian

I was going to ask my Bro in NZ to pick up a good lid for me so I was browsing through a few of their forums and this came up from kiwibiker.co.nz

"Here is my $130 LS2 *model: single mono 351. Terrific hit from a logging truck. No head injuries. I was impressed with this helmet the moment I first examined it prior to purchase."
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-p1090686a.jpg  

Old 19th July 2012, 16:36   #804
BHPian

Hi, i need to buy a helmet for my gf who insists on riding her battered scooty, need awesome protection and light weight.
I am thinking of the airoh speedfire, it weighs 1.3kgs and has 4 stars from sharp.
What do the bikers think? any experiences with the brand or the particular helmet?
I have not really ridden in a long time so need help.
Old 19th July 2012, 19:02   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Dhaliwal View Post
I am thinking of the airoh speedfire, it weighs 1.3kgs and has 4 stars from sharp.
Airoh is an excellent choice. Bachoo Motors in Mumbai is an authorized importer/distributor for Airoh (Italy) in India.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 19:28   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
"Here is my $130 LS2 *model: single mono 351. Terrific hit from a logging truck. No head injuries. I was impressed with this helmet the moment I first examined it prior to purchase."
That's one heck of a survival indeed. I use an LS2 with the TBTS, but I can't tell what grade it is unless it's really tested, god forbid a situation like that even arises. I remember buying it for about 4500rs in 2010.

When my kid brother started riding a bike the day he turned 18, I insisted he get an LS2 too, but surprisingly the cost was 1800rs. Plus, there were toooooooo many colours and shapes and models available. Whereas, 2 years ago, they just had a black and a white. But, if prices have halfed like this, it's a reasonable question to ask whether the quality has been halved too...
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:50   #807
Senior - BHPian

Nolan - India Distributor ?

Hi Guys,

Came accross the attached advert in the May issue of Bike India.

The copy states that they are the "Sole Distributor" for Nolan in India - Any one from Mumbai have any experience in dealing with them and any comments one the price range ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-nolan-dist-india-.jpg  

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 22nd July 2012 at 11:52.
Old 30th July 2012, 09:38   #808
Senior - BHPian

I have been gifted an iXS helmet, model number is HX395, that I am curious about. It apparently is made of composite fibres, cost 4k, and was highly recommended by the dealer. I compared it with a friend's LS2, and found that this one is heavier and is really snug fitting. Does anyone know of this brand? Google didn't help much, hence asking on this thread.

PS. I did search both the thread and the forum in general, but didn't get any results for "ixs".

Last edited by VeluM : 30th July 2012 at 09:39.
Old 30th July 2012, 18:05   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Does anyone know of this brand? Google didn't help much, hence asking on this thread.

PS. I did search both the thread and the forum in general, but didn't get any results for "ixs".
IXS Sports Division is a part of Hostettler, headquartered out of Switzerland. You will find more about the company here :- IXS Sports Division

To surf through products offered by them you can check the following link :- Chain Reaction Cycles

I have personally not used any products from this manufacturer, however they are sold in some motorcycle/cycle accessory stores across UK. Also, have a friend in London who uses their riding gear (Knee Guards, Warmers etc) & a cycling helmet as well.

Last edited by mantrig : 30th July 2012 at 18:10.
mantrig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 23:18   #810
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nolan - India Distributor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Guys,

Came accross the attached advert in the May issue of Bike India.

The copy states that they are the "Sole Distributor" for Nolan in India - Any one from Mumbai have any experience in dealing with them and any comments one the price range ?

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Nolan are quite reputed and are better known with bikers abroad. However, DSG (Pune) too sells Nolan helmets.

Most Viewed