Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 18:12   #1156
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Feel a little sheepish posting here given the quality of gear being discussed in this thread.

I need to pick up a helmet for a new scooter that I am planning to buy. What suggestions for a good, decent quality (not pro) helmets? Also any recommendations for shops in Bangalore? Any places close to Marathahalli, Indiranagar area?
Bro, if you want to look for a budget helmet, look for Vega Axor or Studds Scorpion. These are excellent VFM lids.The Axor is DOT approved, not sure about Scorpion though. I would suggest spare atleast 2 K for the helmet - think of it as a one time life insurance.

But if you can stretch your budget, go for LS2.

Not sure about Indiranagar, but there is a helmet shop on the service road which leads from ORR to Marathahalli bridge when you come from silkboard side. I have no personal experience with them - have only seen the shop from outside.

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 20th December 2013 at 18:17.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:45   #1157
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Feel a little sheepish posting here given the quality of gear being discussed in this thread.

I need to pick up a helmet for a new scooter that I am planning to buy. What suggestions for a good, decent quality (not pro) helmets? Also any recommendations for shops in Bangalore? Any places close to Marathahalli, Indiranagar area?
I agree with the feeling we get when going through older posts and when wet want a suggestion for a budget helmet!

I advice you to go on for LS2 helmets - a one time these are so why risk it. I have an LS2 FF351 Poker.

Size =L.

Cost - 3500.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:32   #1158
BHPian

I have got to thank all the discourse and the participants on this thread for guiding me over the past week or so in looking for and considering my next lid purchase after the recent bike upgrade to the 390. Today the decision culminated in an impulse buy of a HJC CL ST Sooni MC 10. Don't know what all the characters mean, but for me they really mean high quality, a very good fit, comfortable at all points, good ventilation. The pics follow with the outgoing vega Boolean lid first and ending with a close shot of the intricate art!
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-image3852788551.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-image24400118.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-image1588844019.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-image4074539343.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-image4275071293.jpg  

palitrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 21:42   #1159
Senior - BHPian

So the AGV joins the seniors

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131223_163800.jpg

Wore the AGV to work today, for first impressions the helmet isn't too noisy. There is a slight whistle heard on the right side of the helmet when I tilt my neck forwards at 100+ speeds. Pretty much happy with the helmet, sometime in the weekend I'll try and figure out what is causing the whistle.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 23:16   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
So the AGV joins the seniors

Attachment 1181531
There is a slight whistle heard on the right side of the helmet when I tilt my neck forwards at 100+ speeds. Pretty much happy with the helmet, sometime in the weekend I'll try and figure out what is causing the whistle.
I have a AGV K3. It had the same issue and I found out that it happens when the air-vent is partially open. It has to be either fully open or fully closed. When the helmet is new the air-vent opening and closing may not smooth with some fiber strand or the like fouling the operation. Operate the closing toggles few time, and the shutter will seat well in the opening and then the sound would go away

That was the case at least in my K3.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2013, 12:40   #1161
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

HELP!!

For a mix of touring and city usage, how would the motocross style helmets fare over the usual full face helmets?? I have never used a motocross style helmet, so was wondering if the shape and the top cap would cause any disturbance, noise during higher speeds?

I am looking at a light weight helmet, which offers good protection, and some protection to the visor, where i do not have to change them frequently, and a helmet which is good on noise reduction at higher speeds. my budget is around 5-6k. i was contemplating SOL SS1 Ultimate,
http://spartanprogear.com/HelmetDeta...16&status=none

Any tips, advice, pointers in this regard would be highly helpful.
Currently i use a full face cross helmet, which is about 4 yrs old and on its 6th visor. guess its time to get a new lid.
Old 26th December 2013, 12:59   #1162
Senior - BHPian

I saw this helmet at LGU. You might be able to try it out.

I personally don't like motocross helmets as the couple if times I tried them I got a neck pain due to windblast
Old 28th December 2013, 12:57   #1163

Guys, looking for a helmet for my 390. Will be riding in hot chennai weather- so ventilation and protection are main factors.
Budget-5k to 15k. I don't like graphics, so SOL will be last option. looking at HJC's and nolan- http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...voyage-helmet- 250$.
A good-fitting and ventilated 5k helmet better than an ill-fitting 15k one. so want to try the fit in chennai or bangalore. Please suggest stores and other alternatives. Considering to use the helmet with a sena smh5 blutooth kit.
Old 28th December 2013, 14:51   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth957 View Post
Guys, looking for a helmet for my 390. Will be riding in hot chennai weather- so ventilation and protection are main factors. Budget-5k to 15k. I don't like graphics, so SOL will be last option. looking at HJC's and nolan- http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...voyage-helmet- 250$. A good-fitting and ventilated 5k helmet better than an ill-fitting 15k one. so want to try the fit in chennai or bangalore. Please suggest stores and other alternatives. Considering to use the helmet with a sena smh5 blutooth kit.
I just got the HJC CL st and can really vouch for the comfort and ventilation factor. I had tried the HJC helmets in the store in mumbai and must say they were the best amongst this range. If your budget is upto 15k, I would suggest it best to go for the HJC fg 15. Clean graphics ( not the sol kind). Classy. Very good ventilation and above all super light. It comes at 15k precisely. If I had the budget I would have definitely gone for them.
palitrana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 18:04   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Hello folks,

I see a lot of HJCs around here - a really good sign

I picked this helmet thru Revzilla. They delivered it sharp, well packaged to my hotel in Atlanta. The size is M -my head is 22.5 inches circumference and it fits tight around the cheek which means the fit will improve as i wear it. This is a pin lock ready shield and i made sure i picked the pin lock shield as well.

The helmet is well built and all the vents open/close with a very solid feel unlike other helmets i have used (indian/chinese).

The helmet costs 135$ and the pinlock shield 30$.

I use an LS2 right now, and when will I use this one? When the RC390 hits our shores.

Thanks to you folks here who educated me on DOT, SNELL and all.

A special shout out to user "kraft.wagen" who showed me other online helmet stores and was also willing to purchase it for me on his american card and get it shipped to my hotel. That is what T-Bhp is all about i guess. thanks mate!!

Finally managed to "test" my lid today. First of all I managed to get the pinlock shield inserted perfectly, but it took some effort. The visor needs to be bent with some brute (by my weakling standards) strength, and this shields snaps in perfectly. And also these visors are crazy - try as much as you want -they just will not break!!

Once fixed, I wore it today morning to Mekedhatu - 100kms from BLR via kanakapura road. The pinlock shields border does distract us, but for all of 2-3 minutes after which you just forget its existence. I tried deliberately to fog it up with my breath and the result was awesome! no fog at all!

The lid was snug around the cheeks but they are far more comfortable now after close to 5 hours of wearing. The visor closes with loud metallic snap and sits tight. It also has a lock to prevent accidental lift up. Tightening the D ring was confusing initially but now its a cinch.

The ventilation was good, but chilly bangalore mornings make for a poor ventilation test condition, so i'll leave that out for now.

Visibility is great. No issues, no weird angles or colours.

Wind noise - I was surprised but there is a fair amount of wind noise especially if you riding against the direction. Of course there would be wind noise if going against it you say, but what i mean is that the difference in wind noise between against and with the direction is quite significant. Ear plugs would be a good option i believe though i have never tried them.

Overall at 165$ for a Snell rated Helmet with the pinlock shield I am very happy with this product!

PS : I'm wearing sunglasses inside bought from Decathlon at 350Rs. They are UV safe and fit excellently within the helmet. I definitely recommend them to anyone who is looking at a way to keep the sun away with clear visors but dont want to ruin an expensive pair of sunglasses by pushing them in a helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131229_100909.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131229_100919.jpg  

sai_ace is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 15:02   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanth957 View Post
Guys, looking for a helmet for my 390. Will be riding in hot chennai weather- so ventilation and protection are main factors.
Budget-5k to 15k. I don't like graphics, so SOL will be last option. looking at HJC's and nolan- http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/n...voyage-helmet- 250$.
A good-fitting and ventilated 5k helmet better than an ill-fitting 15k one. so want to try the fit in chennai or bangalore. Please suggest stores and other alternatives. Considering to use the helmet with a sena smh5 blutooth kit.
SOL has matt black as well. I bought one last Friday from Megha Enterprises (opposite MTR on Lalbagh Road). I bought SF-1 model. I also tried HJC but for me SOL was way more comfortable. Costed me 6320/-.

It has several vents than can be opened/closed as well. Also, it comes with dual visor. By Default there is a transparent visor and there is a button on top of the helmet which can bring down a dark visor. I found this feature very useful on my weekend ride yesterday. Highly recommended. Check it out.
hondadude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 12:18   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
SOL has matt black as well. I bought one last Friday from Megha Enterprises (opposite MTR on Lalbagh Road). I bought SF-1 model. I also tried HJC but for me SOL was way more comfortable. Costed me 6320/-.

It has several vents than can be opened/closed as well. Also, it comes with dual visor. By Default there is a transparent visor and there is a button on top of the helmet which can bring down a dark visor. I found this feature very useful on my weekend ride yesterday. Highly recommended. Check it out.
It looks like the prices have increased. I bought my SF-1 from Biking Spirit on Church street for Rs. 5600 in July '13.

One thing that I like a lot about SOL helmets is the clarity and optical trueness of the visors. With a clean, scratchless visor, it feels like the visor doesn't even exist in front of your face!

I bought my wife a Vega Boolean helmet a few days ago. She is a passenger only on two wheelers. I paid Rs. 1600 at Helmet Paradise on Lalbagh road. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall finish, particularly the paintwork. The lining quality seems to be decent and the build quality is pretty good too. It's not as good as SOL SF-1 but for its price, I won't complain.

Now the query: why are there no helmets designed for women. Women have smaller heads than men and generally have a lot more hair, braids, etc. As such, most Indian brands of helmets don't even have different sizes for men, but go looking for a helmet for a woman and you'll be frustrated before having to settle for an unsatisfactory compromise. The Vega Boolean fit the best of all helmets that my wife tried but it's not as firm fitting or as adjustable as I would like.

There are plenty of women who ride two wheelers in all big cities in India. Frankly, I think that major helmet manufacturers are losing a big opportunity by not making women centric products.

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th August 2014 at 15:25. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 12th January 2014, 01:43   #1168
BHPian

Hello friends,
Can anybody suggest a good Modular helmet within 10k? Matte black colour is preferred
Old 12th January 2014, 08:36   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Fastrack has launched some good quality helmets and very lightweight too. Range is also quite reasonable, only 1.5K to 3.5K and the assurance of the Titan (Tata) brand. Looking good - http://www.fastrack.in/products/helmets
Old 16th January 2014, 16:36   #1170
BHPian

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice here. I'm planning to upgrade my helmet here after going through this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...safe-they.html

What I have is a Studds make half-face type and I gather that neither the brand nor the helmet-type gets much respect around here. I prefer FFH and have always used that type before. I ended up with a half-face helmet due to a wretched coincidence. Consider me very much uninformed on the safety aspects w.r.t. the brands out there.

I'm prepared to spend between 1500 and 4500. I must add the major difficulties I face when I go helmet shopping:
1. My head is largish and I seldom get a choice with the typical Indian brands when I walk into a shop.
2. I can make a purchase from Trivandrum or Kochi and I am not aware of any places there selling brands other than Studds/Steelbird/Vega etc.

Any inputs fellow bhp-ians? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks