Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 11:26   #1186
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
A word of thanks to you guys. I got myself a matte black THH from Auto Queen today. Sounded like a reasonable deal at 2300. My only concern is whether it's a genuine one. The leaflet that came with the helmet doesn't mention any name. And wherever they've got any names on the helmet, it's a sticker job. I've got no doubts about the build quality. It was at par or better than the LS2 I checked. It's quite heavy compared to my previous Studds.
It's genuine. The company has an aggressive plan for expansion in India and you will be seeing a lot more people riding with THH helmets going forward.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 19:46   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Man! you gotta see this! Wish they had more and do work on other brands too
http://www.eimorcustoms.com/custom-helmets/
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ds001.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-std4.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 11:14   #1188
BHPian

Folks, I want to replace my 10 year old studs Ninja helmet. I ride a RE Thunderbird and as much as I was keen on buying an open face helmet to go with my bike, I just read another thread here that the chin area takes up to 38% hit in an impact. Hence, I will go with a full face helmet.

My criteria are:

1. Price upto 4K
2. Full face ( not even modular)
3. Minimum or no graphics or stickers
4. Matt Black or black color
5. Good brand

Criteria 5 is the most confusing as I found that I can buy a basic full face helmet from studs for 1K, from Vega for 2K, from LS2 for about 3K, from AVG for about 4K at the RE showroom. I really don't understand if there is any difference in quality and safety at several price points as a basic full face helmet from any brand would more or less be the same. Or maybe not.

I need an online store to buy and acebiker.com seems to be the place for LS2 while Vega and studs have their own online stores. Please mention any other brand that I may have missed.
Old 9th February 2014, 12:01   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Folks, I want to replace my 10 year old studs Ninja helmet. I ride a RE Thunderbird and as much as I was keen on buying an open face helmet to go with my bike, I just read another thread here that the chin area takes up to 38% hit in an impact. Hence, I will go with a full face helmet.

My criteria are:

1. Price upto 4K
2. Full face ( not even modular)
3. Minimum or no graphics or stickers
4. Matt Black or black color
5. Good brand

Criteria 5 is the most confusing as I found that I can buy a basic full face helmet from studs for 1K, from Vega for 2K, from LS2 for about 3K, from AVG for about 4K at the RE showroom. I really don't understand if there is any difference in quality and safety at several price points as a basic full face helmet from any brand would more or less be the same. Or maybe not.

I need an online store to buy and acebiker.com seems to be the place for LS2 while Vega and studs have their own online stores. Please mention any other brand that I may have missed.
Increase your budget by a few hundred rupees and get this: http://spartanprogear.com/HelmetDeta...=15&status=All

Has D-ring strap which is better (much safer) than the mechanism which LS2/Vega provide.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 12:49   #1190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Has D-ring strap which is better (much safer) than the mechanism which LS2/Vega provide.
Thanks. Looks interesting. So nothing from vega or studs is worth buying?
Old 9th February 2014, 12:50   #1191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Thanks. Looks interesting. So nothing from vega or studs is worth buying?
SOL has much better build quality than the Vega/Studs/LS2 range and is also DOT certified, which has much stringent checks than the ISI certification.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 13:10   #1192
BHPian

In that price range, SOL and MT helmets are the way to go. Good build quality, fit and finish. The MT range is priced around Rs. 4000/-
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 13:30   #1193
Senior - BHPian

For around 4K, nothing beats SOL. Be wary of LS2 helmets since there are many reports of fakes being sold.
Old 15th February 2014, 19:26   #1194
BHPian

I recently got Duke'd and I am looking for a proper helmet to ride. I bought a cheap INR900 Vega helmet the day I got the bike as local shops did not have anything that caught my eye. However after doing my research around the web I've decided on purchasing the Icon Alliance Torrent. None of the local shops can source it for me, and none of the indian E-shops have it. Motosport.com has it and with shipping it costs 17k but the same helmet when shipped from Revzilla.com costs 13k (I understand there is some sale going on there).

My concern is that both these websites will ship internationally and thus will take time to deliver.Fitting is also a concern, I think I'll need a S going by the directions on various websites about helmet sizing. I tried contacting Spartan Progear but Ive not heard from them, almost a week after. Is there anyone/any place else I can source this helmet from within India?
Old 18th February 2014, 12:12   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I recently got Duke'd and I am looking for a proper helmet to ride. I bought a cheap INR900 Vega helmet the day I got the bike as local shops did not have anything that caught my eye. However after doing my research around the web I've decided on purchasing the Icon Alliance Torrent. None of the local shops can source it for me, and none of the indian E-shops have it. Motosport.com has it and with shipping it costs 17k but the same helmet when shipped from Revzilla.com costs 13k (I understand there is some sale going on there).

My concern is that both these websites will ship internationally and thus will take time to deliver.Fitting is also a concern, I think I'll need a S going by the directions on various websites about helmet sizing. I tried contacting Spartan Progear but Ive not heard from them, almost a week after. Is there anyone/any place else I can source this helmet from within India?

Check with Spartan ProGear, Chennai. I guess they had some Icon Alliance helmets. Give them a call or drop in an email.
Old 27th February 2014, 19:30   #1196
BHPian

Somebody flicked my LS2 at the Oracle Parking. Went ahead and bought the MT helmet(White) from Megha Enterprises.
Costed me a cool 3.9k and a helmet lock (once bitten twice shy ) for another 150 .
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2014, 15:32   #1197
Senior - BHPian

How's this helmet guys? Anyone tried it, any feedback? I like how it looks and is the latest from Studds and deals are available online for as less as 1700 bucks. My AGV has taken a few slips and falls and knocks on the ground and needs replacing.

Looking for a suitable alternative to the more expensive LS2s and SOLs etc. Been using MPA / AGV for some time now and want to go back to my Studds roots. Did not quite like the shapes of the Vegas so much from amongst the Indian brands.

Comes in 4 solid colors (which I prefer over busy graphics - but that's jst middle-age me )

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-shifter-black.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-shifter-white.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-shifter-green.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-shifter-red.jpg

Outer Shell Injected from special high impact grade of engineering thermoplastic.
The Helmet is equipped with a second sun visor which is made from tinted Polycarbonate and is duly silicon hard coated.
Multiposition articulating optically true injected polycarbonate visor duly silicon hardcoated for scratch resistance properties.
Removable and Replaceable Liners.
Removable and Replaceable lower trim.
Quick release visor mechanism for easy visor replacement.
Aerodynamic Design of outer shell helps in better stability of the helmet at high speed.
Regulated density EPS concussion padding lined with specially treated anti allergic velveteen.
Dynamic Ventilation system for increased air flow providing more comfort to the rider while driving.
Quick release chinstrap mechanism for ease of operation and safety
High Quality U.V Resistant Polyurethene paints used for aesthetic Enhancement.

Come to think of it, the shell of the Studds Shifter looks like an almost identical clone of the LS2 FF351.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ls2-ff351-white.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th March 2014 at 14:23. Reason: Merging posts so info is in one post
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 02:07   #1198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin1224 View Post
I recently got Duke'd and I am looking for a proper helmet to ride. I bought a cheap INR900 Vega helmet the day I got the bike as local shops did not have anything that caught my eye. However after doing my research around the web I've decided on purchasing the Icon Alliance Torrent.
Maybe you should have a look at this -
http://rideapart.com/2013/07/news-icon-alliance-dark/
- it has got good reviews on rideapart. Getting the right size could be a problem though.

Cheers!
Old 2nd March 2014, 06:12   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
How's this helmet guys?
As u know doc I just got me a 390 and was given a free studds ninja with it. Frankly, studds never figured too high on my list. But I was pleasantly surprised that the shell was quite stiff / rigid. Not bad for a city run about

Issues I still have with this helmet:

- one size fits all? Really?
- small eye port of the ninja

This helmet being much more premium than the ninja I'm sure I can safely assume that the helmet shell would be sturdy enough. The eye port looks sufficiently large too. But if it does not come in different sizes I would reject it then n there and suggest to you the studds scorpion

In case sizes are available, I would still "test ride" the helmet (one of the perks of buying desi) and check for vision distortion (especially because this one has a sun visor as well. In some cases even the foreign big boys like scorpion n agv got it wrong)

And plz do post ur views once u check it out. Would love to have one for misc city runabouts n have been thinking of getting a scorpion. I like this one better (looks), n the fact that there are hi viz options available
Old 2nd March 2014, 14:03   #1200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Looking for a suitable alternative to the more expensive LS2s and SOLs etc. Been using MPA / AGV for some time now and want to go back to my Studds roots. Did not quite like the shapes of the Vegas so much from amongst the Indian brands.
Doc, if you've been used to the AGV, I honestly can't see you being happy with Studds.

Like you for long time I had used Studds and another Pune brand called Fiberall. But once shifted to AGV and likes, it became quiet a problem to revert to the Studds etc.

Structurally the Indian brands may be as sound as the others, but what I find different in the like of AGV, Shoie, Arai etc is in the envronment inside the helmet - like the noise levels, wearing comfort, balance, facility to incrporate amenities like intercom/blue tooth/ earphone etc.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed