Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2008, 22:22   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Straight6, with information you provided i searched the web and found out that Daijya is the Indian name for Japanese Marushin helmets. Hmm... so it might be good You see i am very particular about the pedigree of the helmet

Marushin Helmets. Japan since 1958

Marushin Kintaro Red
Good find but I'm surprised that such an old brand would allow its name to be changed here. They have one which is Bluetooth enabled for 8.5K. The normal one is for 4.5K.

If you want pedigree then you should go for Shoei, AGV, Shark, Suomy etc.

My next helmet will surely be a a Shark or an OGK.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:31   #122
BANNED

Yeah they slightly tweaked their model name also. The Marushin Shivan Dragon is Daijya Dragon here locally.

You missed Arai in the list. I have a hand me down Corsair with me. I need to get it's visor changed. I'm reluctant as i need to get it from US. I might go for a KBC or Sparx next.
Old 27th August 2008, 22:53   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution 1 View Post
Can anyone tell me about the best Value for money helmet to be bought ?

I can place the order and get it easily. But my question is :-

1) Is the AGV (not sure about the model No.) which costs around 9k enough or should i still go for a Shoei. I just want to know whether Shoei helmets are priced more for their brand name or is it that much more superior in quality. Now when i say AGV being enough, i want to know in context with the speed i go. I normally dont go above 90+ on my RX100.

I know that this might stupid for many as the question Uno will be why spending so much for these speed and that too on an RX. But my answer is simple :- Its worth spending on your safety than on a Nokia N96. Moreover, i had first hand experience of being in pain for a lousy little accident with crutches for 2 months.

And moreover, i wouldn't have to upgrade my helmet once (if things go as per plan) i get an SBK.
Shoei's are worth that amount because they are regarded as the best venting and quietest helmets around.

You should go for that AGV for now and think about the Shoei or other high end helmets when you get your SBK. It doesn't hurt to have two helmets with you.

HJC's are good value for money along with Scorpion helmets(EXO 400).

P.S - I ride an RX-135 now and I wear helmets more expensive than the price of the bike currently . That's not an excuse for not wearing a good helmet on a cheap bike. You can get injured or even killed on ANY bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
You missed Arai in the list. I have a hand me down Corsair with me. I need to get it's visor changed. I'm reluctant as i need to get it from US. I might go for a KBC or Sparx next.
I had read your post earlier about your visorless Arai and that's why I didn't mention it.

Last edited by straight6 : 27th August 2008 at 22:54.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:07   #124
BHPian

Looking for a Helmet for:-
1 Save my Life.
2 Protect my Eyes.
3 Protection from extreme weather conditions.

I have little idea what should i look for,read whole thread(Till date) i don't think there is good place in north India where i could go and test fit one,before buying.
Big no no for fancy and bright decals,i just need plain black head protective gear,if it gets counted as accesory that would be an advantage.checked the AVG,KBC range,found them tab flashy n bright for my taste.

plz suggest!
Old 27th August 2008, 23:30   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution 1 View Post
Can anyone tell me about the best Value for money helmet to be bought ?
When you're talking around the 200 usd and above price point, almost every manfacturer's product is just as good as another's, especially when we';re discussing Shark, AGV, Shoei & Suomy, the Arais are a shade above.
The better brand in the above four is the one that fits you better, and that appeals more to the rider you are.

Talking about value, closeouts on various motorcycle related portals are the mother of vfm, nothing gets better. All have a favourite brand, for example you just wont get a better price on AGV gear than denniskirk.com.

Though talking about the opposite of vfm, i would stay away from Icon (simply because i an get hold of a darn good shark/shoei/agv/suomy for the same price), and even KBC's newly launched more whacko looking Rockhard range of helmets, priced at a whopping mrp of almost 350 USD. Going by what most riders on other biker forums hafta' say, Rockhard range is such a waste for someone looking for a high end helmet.

Straight6, in his many posts has mentioned that a loose helmet is often regarded as a comfortable one, and fact is that a loose helmet is just about as bad as not wearing one, a loose helmet could easily snap your neck in the event of a fall.

manson.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:30   #126
BHPian

@Sankar,
as i have mentioned i have no idea which brand should i go for.
I have budget of 2k-4k.I read in this thread that Indian AGV and KBC are no go.
what say?what can i look upto in the mentioned budget.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:34   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Big no no for fancy and bright decals,i just need plain black head protective gear,if it gets counted as accesory that would be an advantage.checked the AVG,KBC range,found them tab flashy n bright for my taste.

plz suggest!
You should lookup the AGV V-Flyer & the AGV S4 range, they are nice and not so flashy looking helmets. Again, denniskirk.com has a closeout price on both of these.

manson.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:43   #128
Team-BHP Support

Gill, the Indian AGVs are your best bet in that budget, a lot better than the cheap thai/chinese imports. Slightly higher up, you could get one of the dajya helmets, anku is using one, and apprently is a good helmet.
Another shot at 4K would be buying an HJC off a closeout at 50-100 USD, and have someone carry it down for you.

manson.
Old 27th August 2008, 23:48   #129
BANNED

With a budget of 2k to 4k AGV is the best you can get locally. If you could slightly extend your budget then KBC would fit in. Where is it mentioned that KBC is a no go? Imo KBC/Sparx has the best range sold locally in India.

Take a look at this page. It will give you a fair idea of what's available locally and how they measure up.
Shootout - Helmet - AOL India Autos - For news, views and the best research tools for cars and bikes on Indian roads
Old 28th August 2008, 00:05   #130
BHPian

Thanks for the link,
Regarding KBC thing,i think i made mistake in name recall,might have read some other brand and typed KBC.

Just read somewhere that in India KBC and Sparx shall be distributed by Vega helmets.
Old 28th August 2008, 00:17   #131
BHPian

Any link for the Indian AGVs!
Old 28th August 2008, 00:48   #132
BHPian

SparX S-07 Solid Helmet - Motorcycle Superstore
Friends, this is exactly that i am looking for Matte black(Color and style).
Simple and to the point.
Is this available in India?
Can i get similar product under some other brand name?
Old 28th August 2008, 05:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

not sure if you guys have seen this. it was featured in discovery science channel a few days ago.

Reevu MSX1 Helmet - webBikeWorld
The rear-view helmet
Old 28th August 2008, 13:56   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill View Post
Looking for a Helmet for:-
1 Save my Life.
2 Protect my Eyes.
3 Protection from extreme weather conditions.

I have little idea what should i look for,read whole thread(Till date) i don't think there is good place in north India where i could go and test fit one,before buying.

plz suggest!
In fact, bright graphics make you more visible to others. If you still don't want that, you can go for either white or yellow helmets. Black is the worst choice in plain colour.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:07   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
In fact, bright graphics make you more visible to others. If you still don't want that, you can go for either white or yellow helmets. Black is the worst choice in plain colour.
A black helmet can be adorned with reflective decals to negate the night time invisibility factor.

Most Viewed