Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2014, 20:11   #1351
Senior - BHPian

Got the Bell RS1 delivered yesterday. Could not be happier!!!!!

This helmet is sweeeet. The inner lining / material is just so very plush. Feels great against the face. The 3 modes for the visor (cracked, lock, nothing) should come in handy. My advice when ordering Bell helmets online - go a size down. Most reviews I read / saw on the RS 1 described the helmet as Very snug.

My head is a 57 cm circumference. This puts me at a size M in most lids. I ordered a Medium and I was swimming in it. Had to send it back for an exchange. Cost me an extra $15 in shipping but still got it for under $200.

I love this id (can you tell?)

Avi (Mobike) - Now that I have worn a properly fitted RS 1 helmet; I can tell you that the RS 1 is miles ahead in the fit and feel dept. vis a vis the AGV K3. Which again should not be interpreted as AGV being a bad helmet or anything. Its just that the RS 1 is that much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshavarora View Post
However, if you want to buy the K3, these guys had a good price on it recently, please check with them https://www.facebook.com/sbkstore.in

Please let me know if you need any other info.
Dude; is that a Katana sword in the background?

I checked out the site you mentioned in your post. HOLY MOLY riding gear is expensive in India. Man; the exact same RS1 thats on the site retails for well over 30k . I got mine from the states for less than 12k. I understand duties and taxes but this is just ridiculous. I just dont get it. Some gear is priced quite competitively. Example - Astars SMX 1. Retails in the states for $160 (Rs 9600). You could buy one at DSG for 10k IIRC. What gives?

But in all fairness I bought mine on a 60% closeout. The RS 1 has an original retail price of $400 (Rs 24000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
Otherwise its a good fit
Your helmet looks fine fit wise. But I think you are wearing it too low. Move the chin up a little so that your eyes are somwhere around the middle of the visor.

Who knows this little change helps alleviate some of your problems with the fit

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th June 2014 at 13:34. Reason: Merging Posts
Old 14th June 2014, 10:22   #1352
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Got the Bell RS1 delivered yesterday. Could not be happier!!!!!

This helmet is sweeeet. The inner lining / material is just so very plush. Feels great against the face. The 3 modes for the visor (cracked, lock, nothing) should come in handy. My advice when ordering Bell helmets online - go a size down. Most reviews I read / saw on the RS 1 described the helmet as Very snug.
That's an acute sense of observation. Yes that is a Katana and also a Kirpan. I love swords

And I agree with you, the gear available in India is super expensive. The thing is that abroad, especially in the US, motorcycling gear is like any other apparel on consumer product, with new designs and all coming out every year and the older ones going on sale. In India, probably due to the limited demand and supply, the concept of selling at a discounted price isn't there. Everything is sold at the MRP. So incase of helmets, jackets and gloves, which are mostly sold on discount in the US, the price differential between India and US is great. However in the case of boots, which mostly aren't on sale, the price differential is lesser. That's just my personal observation. Also i have observed that prices offered by DSG are very competitive, especially for Astar.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th June 2014 at 13:34. Reason: Please quote short paragraphs for ease of reading
keshavarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 13:11   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My forehead fits just fine. There is a slight pain and itching on the backside of the ear as it is sandwiched between the helmet and the temple of the spex. But thats something I can manage with.
I use the same HJC CL-16 Machine helmet. The itching at the back side of the ear is due to the ears bending in while wearing the helmet and one tends to get the itching sensation during riding. Please check when you wear your glasses the part that rests on the ear is not getting stuck in the padding. I faced this twice with my glasses, re adjusted and all fine. There is no problem, any other helmet would also have the same issues initially till the padding sets in.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th June 2014 at 13:35. Reason: Reducing quote length
Old 14th June 2014, 14:48   #1354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Please check when you wear your glasses the part that rests on the ear is not getting stuck in the padding.
I have started using spex with straight temples (just like the rider goggles). If they are still obstructing, you can cut the extra part. I did it with one of my spare spex and now there is no problem wearing it with the helmet. Though the problem which I mentioned in the first post still persists. The jaw starts paining after 10min of wearing the helmet. If it continuous this way for more than a month, I would be selling it off and try a new one.
Old 16th June 2014, 11:30   #1355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have started using spex with straight temples (just like the rider goggles). If they are still obstructing, you can cut the extra part. I did it with one of my spare spex and now there is no problem wearing it with the helmet. Though the problem which I mentioned in the first post still persists. The jaw starts paining after 10min of wearing the helmet. If it continuous this way for more than a month, I would be selling it off and try a new one.
I use normal glasses and they work well, later i shall get lazic done. Try adjusting the helmet once worn, maybe you are wearing it high and the chin is rubbing against the helmet face. The other thing is check if this is your size, maybe you need one size bigger.
Old 17th June 2014, 14:29   #1356
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to measure my head a few days back using a measuring tape.

It's 59cms

AGV K3
I tried a L size and it fit me perfectly. Meaning, I can take the risk of ordering a helmet online. How many inches is a L helmet in K3?

Bell RS-1
Never tried. So can someone having same helmet share their input what size helmet would fit for a 59" head? L or XL?

P.S: Just as a reference, I tried a friend's HJC XL helmet and it was quite loose and my head was practically swimming in it

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd June 2014 at 18:46. Reason: corrected typo
Old 23rd June 2014, 15:36   #1357
BHPian

Re: The Riding Gear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3381148

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3381169

Hope that helps. I'm probably going to be picking up the fluoroscent green one (bored of all white sans graphics for 10+ years).

Hi Doc,

So did you buy the green Shifter?

Can you please put up few pics of the same? and How much did you get it for?

P.S. Even i m trying to buy the green one, but its not in stock and is available only on pre-order here at Karol Bagh, Delhi.
I saw the Orange one as well, I just wished to compare both the green and orange one. Please help.

Thanks.
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:49   #1358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I happened to measure my head a few days back using a measuring tape.

It's 59"
Avi,

I know from pics in the forum that you a big man but a circumfrence of 4' 9" (59") highly unlikely. Something definitely wrong with your measuring tape

I am sure that in size, you are no where close to the the Giant from Jack & The Bean Stack story

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 23rd June 2014, 17:54   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I know from pics in the forum that you a big man but a circumfrence of 4' 9" (59") highly unlikely. Something definitely wrong with your measuring tape
I am pretty sure he meant 59 cms

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd June 2014 at 18:51. Reason: Reducing the quote length
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 18:50   #1360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I know from pics in the forum that you a big man but a circumference of 4' 9" (59") highly unlikely. Something definitely wrong with your measuring tape.I am sure that in size, you are no where close to the the Giant from Jack & The Bean Stack story

Holy Moly, See what a small typo can make me out to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I am pretty sure he meant 59 cms
Yes, I meant cms and corrected the post as well

Btw, got an awesome deal for an AGV K3 Rossi Dreamtime just for 175 bucks
Old 24th June 2014, 13:19   #1361
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniq62 View Post
Can you please put up few pics of the same? and How much did you get it for?

P.S. Even i m trying to buy the green one, but its not in stock and is available only on pre-order here at Karol Bagh, Delhi.
I saw the Orange one as well, I just wished to compare both the green and orange one. Please help.
Not yet bro. Though I did try it out. Its more a fluroscent yellowish green than the classic Kawasaki green. Never seen the Orange one. Other option is white, but I'm bored of white.

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th June 2014 at 13:56. Reason: Reduced the quote length
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 13:40   #1362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniq62 View Post
So did you buy the green Shifter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Not yet bro. Though I did try it out. Its more a fluroscent yellowish green than the classic Kawasaki green. Never seen the Orange one. Other option is white, but I'm bored of white.

Is this what you'll are referring too?. If yes then it is available at PRS and Bachoo Motors in Mumbai. I bought mine from PRS.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-kawa-shifter-glove..jpg  

Old 24th June 2014, 13:55   #1363
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally took the plunge for the Helmet after oscillating between the AGV K3 Dreamtime & Bell RS-1

I know Bell RS-1 is slightly superior to AGV K3 but, what cinched the deal for me was this online deal, mind blowing graphics and overall cool factor

Got a fantastic deal of $175 (INR 10, 675) for the AGV K3 Dreamtime which is a Rossi replica and has the sun and moon on either side of the helmet with turtle at the back. It's tough to find a deal for this helmet in your size below $220

AGV K3 Dreamtime retails for INR 16,800 in India

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_helmet_k3_dreamtime_detail_1_600.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_helmet_k3_dreamtime_400.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_helmet_k3_dreamtime_detail_2_600.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agv_helmet_k3_dreamtime_detail_3_600.jpg

Also ordered for an additional visor (Blue Iridium) which I got it for $59.95 (INR 3,600) and this visor retails for INR 5,000 in India

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-agvgptecht2iridiumbluevisor.jpg

P.S: Many thanks to Urban Nomad, Prem and Harsha Muvva for their insights in making me decide on my helmet
Old 24th June 2014, 14:02   #1364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Finally took the plunge for the Helmet after oscillating between the AGV K3 Dreamtime & Bell RS-1
Congratulations..the helmet looks very neat. I am planning to get an Arai helmet in a couple of months, when i go for my business trip abroad.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 14:27   #1365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Is this what you'll are referring too?. If yes then it is available at PRS and Bachoo Motors in Mumbai. I bought mine from PRS.
No we are both referring to this bro .....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...fter-green.jpg
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed