Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:57   #421
Team-BHP Support

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

@Abhinav--I want a lid for daily rides within my stipulated budget of 4K.

I already have a SparX lid for special rides and currently eying the Ben Spies replica, but the cost (30K ) is making me

Nevertheless shall be calling them and would ask (the guy who is bringing it in) to look at LS2's and Cross.
Thanks
Old 23rd February 2011, 00:14   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post

I already have a SparX lid for special rides and currently eying the Ben Spies replica, but the cost (30K ) is making me

Nevertheless shall be calling them and would ask (the guy who is bringing it in) to look at LS2's and Cross.
Thanks
why don't you increase your budget abit more & go for a kbc & keep the sparx for daily use
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:46   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
LS2 is a good bet for daily rides. Not sure if Orion stocks them though. And it should be in your budget as well.

I called them a short while ago to find out if they stock LS2. Did not get an answer. Will try again and update you by PM if i get thru.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 23rd February 2011 at 14:47.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:02   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
why don't you increase your budget abit more & go for a kbc & keep the sparx for daily use
With limited resources, I have to shop for helmet, alloys, better rubber, tints etc.

I commute within city confines and my long rides are very few and far in between, the day this changes, I shall buy a good one and not KBC. (I have personally found Sparx (for 8.5K) to be superior to KBC's which retail for 15K)

Thanks and yes, if wishes were horses...

I just won't have to increase budget, I have to multiply it by 3-4 times for a good helmet.

@abhinav--Next month onwards, I might be getting Index/Yohe/ O snell etc locally available, I can try out there too.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd February 2011 at 15:04.
Old 23rd February 2011, 15:33   #425
BANNED

Re: Tips To Buy A Good Helmet!!!

Hello Teambhpians

I am looking for a good helmet in the range of 700-1500 .It should have good air circulation and should not be too heavy.

Please suggest me one and where in chennai i can buy it.

I am totally out of touch with helmet from the time i started driving car,so let me know in detail

My usage will be say 2-3days a week and bikes i have are Bullet and a Passion ,both black !!

And let me tell you that i am fan of Matt Black

Last edited by joshguy : 23rd February 2011 at 15:47.
Old 23rd February 2011, 17:04   #426
Team-BHP Support

Err, I have to decided to up my budget by a bit and go for RJays.

I checked their web-site and found a couple within 5K with good quality. (padding vents etc)

@joshguy -- steelbird/ninja/vega are good bets in that price range. Wear one for a couple of minutes and if possible have a ride on one prior to buying.
Old 24th February 2011, 16:37   #427
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Need some advice.

I'm going out of country for a couple of weeks and planning to bring back a helmet. Am in a fix on how do I do that since I haven't carried something like this before (bulky). I guess dumping in the baggage compartment is a big no no and would preferably carry it along with me in the flight. Now I would like to ask the folks who have gone through this route (carrying helmet with them) the dos and donts and any tips at all, basically their experiences...

And will it have to have an airline tag as well? Security an issue? Do I need to show bills/invoice?

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th February 2011, 16:55   #428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Folks,

Need some advice.

I'm going out of country for a couple of weeks and planning to bring back a helmet. Am in a fix on how do I do that since I haven't carried something like this before (bulky). I guess dumping in the baggage compartment is a big no no and would preferably carry it along with me in the flight. Now I would like to ask the folks who have gone through this route (carrying helmet with them) the dos and donts and any tips at all, basically their experiences...

And will it have to have an airline tag as well? Security an issue? Do I need to show bills/invoice?

Thanks in advance!
I bought a helmet and a jacket with removable armour. Removed the armour from the jacket. Then packed the helmet inside my suitcase and placed the armour plates around it.
With the back armour on top of the helmet.
The space inside the helmet was used to pack some stuff as well.

Don't forget to buy a spare visor for your helmet.

Check out cyclegear.com for motorcycle gear. That website does not open in India. You can open it if you have an international proxy.

I did not have any issues with the customs guys. Walked out the green channel.

Last edited by bblost : 24th February 2011 at 16:59.
Old 25th February 2011, 10:25   #429
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! I'm assuming you brought it from the US?

My only issue is the baggage which will be constrained to 23 kgs since my trip will be to EU. So, am not sure what all to sacrifice because of this additional thing. And planning to buy off the shelf from a store but thanks anyway for the website.
Old 26th February 2011, 10:15   #430
BHPian

Hello,

I recently brought a brand new scooter & this is my first experience riding a two-wheeler. I am looking for a good helmet, my budget is around 3-5k which provides proper ventilation.

I checked the local shops in Chennai for brands like Volga, vega, sadly they don't have a size which fits my head.

Appreciate your help.

Vinod
Old 26th February 2011, 13:29   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hello Teambhpians

I am looking for a good helmet in the range of 700-1500 .It should have good air circulation and should not be too heavy.

Please suggest me one and where in chennai i can buy it.

I am totally out of touch with helmet from the time i started driving car,so let me know in detail

My usage will be say 2-3days a week and bikes i have are Bullet and a Passion ,both black !!

And let me tell you that i am fan of Matt Black
Hey joshGuy,
To be honest, it also depends on which type of ride are u preferring, if u want it to be more cruiser like, the go for an open face helmet, But in general if you want the best of both worlds, Go for Studds Ninja or Vega Summit 3
Vega Street Helmets - Summit 3.0 Modular Motorcycle Helmet
These give you good close helmet feel and also its face can be opened during leisure rides, and this fits your budget as well
Cheers
Old 26th February 2011, 14:34   #432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Thanks! I'm assuming you brought it from the US?

My only issue is the baggage which will be constrained to 23 kgs since my trip will be to EU. So, am not sure what all to sacrifice because of this additional thing. And planning to buy off the shelf from a store but thanks anyway for the website.
Store purchase is the best way to go about it.
In fact I picked my helmet from the cycle gear store and not online. I wore the helmet for almost 20-30 minutes inside the store before completing the sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Hello,

I recently brought a brand new scooter & this is my first experience riding a two-wheeler. I am looking for a good helmet, my budget is around 3-5k which provides proper ventilation.

I checked the local shops in Chennai for brands like Volga, vega, sadly they don't have a size which fits my head.

Appreciate your help.

Vinod
Pioneer Scooter Center in the GP Road near Melody Theater.
If I remember correctly the store owner's name is Jawahar. He had the best collection and is also quite knowledgeable. However he is a little pricey.
Old 6th March 2011, 17:02   #433
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
Hey joshGuy,
To be honest, it also depends on which type of ride are u preferring, if u want it to be more cruiser like, the go for an open face helmet, But in general if you want the best of both worlds, Go for Studds Ninja or Vega Summit 3
Vega Street Helmets - Summit 3.0 Modular Motorcycle Helmet
These give you good close helmet feel and also its face can be opened during leisure rides, and this fits your budget as well
Cheers

Thank you so much,but i read your post just now

Good thing is i bought a helmet and it is almost the same as you suggested
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Hello,

Appreciate your help.

Vinod
Vinod did you check poineer scooter center? today i went there (GP road) and got mine,so you better go there and check.at your price range they have quite a few ranges.

Its Sunday so i didnt have problem parking my car there so if you are not in a hurry go there next sunday by 11am

Quote:
He had the best collection and is also quite knowledgeable. However he is a little pricey.
Very true bblost

Here is the pics of my helmet

It has two air vents on top which can be opened and closed and one in the chin too

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hell1.jpg
It is a combination of full face as well as half face helmet
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hell3.jpg
has a sun visor which can be retracted
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hell2.jpg  

Last edited by joshguy : 6th March 2011 at 17:05.
Old 7th March 2011, 08:28   #434
BHPian

Nice option joshguy, even i will be getting one for myself very shortly, but maybe i will stick to Matt black finish considering it matches by bike color,
All and all a very good buy, how much did it cost you?
Old 7th March 2011, 14:21   #435

I recently bought a Vega "Boolean" matt finish modular helmet for Rs. 1600 /-. It's the same model as shown in the pic by joshguy, and I'm quite happy with it!

Anurag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks