Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2011, 13:31   #586
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I just brought LS350.5 black and white cartoon from Pro Biker, Camp Pune.

Price :- Helmet - 2500 + Balaclava - 300

Thanks,
Vishal
I am hooked on your helmet purchase.........how well does it fit.....and do these guys ship ? thanks for a revert
Bradhey
Old 20th November 2011, 14:48   #587

Need a clear glass for MPA AGV helmet.

Folks any idea where in Mumbai can I get it & at what cost?

Cheers,
Anirudha
Old 21st November 2011, 11:02   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
I am hooked on your helmet purchase.........how well does it fit.....and do these guys ship ? thanks for a revert
Bradhey
Not sure if they ship out of city but I guess this is well known brand and you can get it anywhere in India.

Please go to there FB page below.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1100763257

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 21st November 2011, 18:53   #589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thar4x4 View Post
I just brought LS350.5 black and white cartoon from Pro Biker, Camp Pune.

Price :- Helmet - 2500 + Balaclava - 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I got cheated. By over 500 bucks. Balaji Helmets. Near Urvashi.

I could sense like a sucker as I walked out. They seem to quote arbitrary prices. This guy behind the counter quoted 4,200 to me. I negotiated a couple of hundred and while he was fetching the piece, I heard another counter guy quote 500 less to another person who just walked in. When my sales guy came, I quoted this and he was not very happy but agreed to give at that price. And then I realized that I was being fooled. That price too was over 500 more than your price.

Be careful of Balaji Helmets. They quote way above the price they sell. Bargain by 35% if you still choose to go there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Balaji helmets and Helmet Paradise (next to MTR hotel) belong to the same people. Bargain hard and stick to your ground. Pretend to walk out and they'll sell it at your price.

Beware especially when buying jackets, gloves etc. When i wanted to procure a pair of gloves i was quoted 2k more than its list price (DSG revive costs 1900 but i was quoted 4k for it). I placed an order online and got it delivered within 24 hrs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Yes,the Balaji helmets are the most cunning cheaters in have seen!! Even i got cheated there when i bought a Vega helmet.I bargained a discount of 300 bucks and finally when i paid the money they didnt give the bill saying that the amount i paid is without bill and if i want bill they will add tax extra . I dunno if Helmet paradise are any better! I vowed not to step foot in that shop once again!

Aditya,you know any shop in bangalore where i can get helmets and jackets without getting fleeced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Picked LS2 Phobia from Helmet Paradise, Lal Bagh main road.
Bought it for 2.6k after some hard negotiation. Initial quoted price was 3.6k
Got 2 head masks also free with this.

Also he gave a string bag to carry the helmet, hope all LS2 helmets comes with the string bag now by default.
------------------------------------
Had no idea an LS2 can be had for 2.5K!!!! The scene is far more horrible here in HYD!
There are only a handful (actually only 2 I think) of LS2 dealers here (Adventure on the rocks@Madhapur and another one@Abids) and the prices according to them start north of 4K bucks!!!
Had to settle for a Studds Rhino finally (and this too was quoted at 2300 by the Madhapur guy whereas I got it for 1500 from Abids!)

PS: How much would it cost to courier a helmet(LS2) from Bangy to HYD? Would it work out cheaper that way?

Last edited by shyn : 21st November 2011 at 18:59.
shyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:59   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyn View Post
PS: How much would it cost to courier a helmet(LS2) from Bangy to HYD? Would it work out cheaper that way?
I dont think it should cost more than 500 bucks to courier a helmet. Adventure on the rocks is on the higher side when it comes to prices.
Old 25th November 2011, 07:19   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gud4nothin View Post
Need a clear glass for MPA AGV helmet.

Folks any idea where in Mumbai can I get it & at what cost?

Cheers,
Anirudha
You can get it at AH helmets, the shop is located in lokhandwala, next to Lotus petrol pump.
Old 29th November 2011, 20:43   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz

Well, personally I always prefer the Open/closed face helmets or modular helmets.
=====
Am attaching the pics of my LS2.
Hey Karlitoz. I'm on the look out for a one like yours. If you don't mind, can I ask how much you paid for the LS2 modular helmet ? Would you recommend any other models or are you happy with it ?
Old 14th December 2011, 16:35   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattam1234 View Post
I think it would be a good idea to check out both Sparx and Joe Rocket both are available in India. Also check ebay you do get some really good deals at times. Bell Helmets had this famous tagline 'if you have a $10 head get a $10 helmet' Go for the best you can afford. Quality pays
That sure is a good tagline. I have been through some 15-20 pages and now I am really confused on whats a good buy.

My criteria is safety only and my budget will be upto 10k for a Helmet

Any suggestions on what brand I should go for ?
Old 14th December 2011, 17:45   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
I have been through some 15-20 pages and now I am really confused on whats a good buy. My criteria is safety only and my budget will be upto 10k for a Helmet. Any suggestions on what brand I should go for ?
Imported helmets which are available here command a very high premium. I paid almost INR 9k for my SparX lid while it costs only around US $ 65 (INR 2990) in the US on closeouts at most online stores.

If you do the math i paid a premium of INR 5k for the helmet (It was 46 rupees for a dollar then).

So you have 2 options.

1. Buy here. SparX, KBC, RJays, etc. are available in the price range you have mentioned but they cost a lot lesser abroad.

2. Buy it abroad - here again you have 2 options:
a. order it online and get it down through a friend so you save on shipping, import duties and taxes

b. order it online and get it shipped directly here. This will attract customs duty (amount which depends on the moody customs guy) and shipping which costs a bomb (around US$ 50 IIRC)

So which brands would i suggest? Depends on which option you want to take.

The popular brands are Arai, Shoei, Shark, Scorpion, Nolan, HJC, Icon, etc.

Did I confuse you further?
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2011, 11:23   #595
BHPian

Quote:
1. Buy here. SparX, KBC, RJays, etc. are available in the price range you have mentioned but they cost a lot lesser abroad.

2. Buy it abroad - here again you have 2 options:
a. order it online and get it down through a friend so you save on shipping, import duties and taxes
So which brands would i suggest? Depends on which option you want to take.

The popular brands are Arai, Shoei, Shark, Scorpion, Nolan, HJC, Icon, etc.

Did I confuse you further?
You sure did

Now I have an even longer list of Helmets to choose from. Guess I will head to Performance racing in Tardeo / Mumbai and have a look.

Joe Rocket is being quoted at 25k !! Thought it will be cheaper than that.

Performance Racing Store,
+912265879696
+912223526038
+918097778091 ,
Shop No 7 & 8, 143/147, Adam Mahal,
Tardeo,

If anyone has any rating or opinion of this place, let me know

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th December 2011 at 11:42. Reason: [font] tags removed.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:45   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
If anyone has any rating or opinion of this place, let me know
I bought my helmet from PRS. Speak to Vicky Jaising and refer my name (or my bike ) He will be more than happy to help you.

PRS is very professional yet friendly and prompt in their transactions.

Just keep in mind that you will be paying a premium for all imported stuff you buy in India, PRS or otherwise.

Edit - Check this out too. Also check out the review on www.webbikeworld.com on the link provided in the site. Here is the parent site.

Last edited by n_aditya : 15th December 2011 at 11:49.
Old 15th December 2011, 11:59   #597
BHPian

Quote:
I bought my helmet from PRS. Speak to Vicky Jaising and refer my name (or my bike ) He will be more than happy to help you.

Just keep in mind that you will be paying a premium for all imported stuff you buy in India, PRS or otherwise.

Edit - Check this out too. Also check out the review on www.webbikeworld.com on the link provided in the site. Here is the parent site.
Yes, the Sol SL68s is sold abroad under the Gmax brand: The review can be found here: GMAX GM68S Helmet - webBikeWorld

In fact, I purchased the Gmax GM68s after reading this review. The airflow isn't as great as the review makes it out to be, but it is still a very good helmet, especially for the Indian price being quoted on the link posted by Aditya.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:20   #598
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks. I did speak to PRS. They do not stock Sol / GMAX helmets. As of now I have sent an email query on the Link that you sent me. The price seems very reasonable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Yes, the Sol SL68s is sold abroad under the Gmax brand: The review can be found here: GMAX GM68S Helmet - webBikeWorld

In fact, I purchased the Gmax GM68s after reading this review. The airflow isn't as great as the review makes it out to be, but it is still a very good helmet, especially for the Indian price being quoted on the link posted by Aditya.
The airflow seems to be straight out of Starship Trek design as per their claims and the review . Doubt it can be as good as claimed. The PRS store in Mumbai doesnt seem to have it (or have heard of it). The search is still on.
Old 16th December 2011, 16:56   #599
BHPian

Edit: I got a call from Sunny who is one of the owners of Spartan Progear. They are willing to Courier the Helmets in 2 working days from Chennai for an additional Rs 500 on the retail price.

Now I just have to get the measuring tape and figure out how thick headed I am.

@GreaseMonk: I am taking the Sol SL68s basis your advise (and the online review)
Saptarshi B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 10:52   #600
Senior - BHPian

I was just curious to know about a helmet given in the URL, this is what i found out when reading for Desert storm reviews and came across this helmet,
do anyone have any idea where can i get this type or is the product of RE themselves and not for after market

RE Classic Chrome, Desert Storm review - Review - Autocar India

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks