Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 10:56   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Any heads-up where I can get a good deal on a SparX lid in Bangalore? Are these still made in India or imported?

Looking for a daily use helmet and been out of the scene for sometime. Apologies if my questions have been repeated.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:25   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Any heads-up where I can get a good deal on a SparX lid in Bangalore? Are these still made in India or imported?
The SparX lids that you get here are imported by Performance Racing Store and supplied to various helmet shops, one such being Orion Yamaha (behind Forum Mall). They used to have some on sale for 5k or so. Not sure if they still do.

The limited/special edition ones retail for 8.5k. If you get the limited edition, insist on a clear visor and a dark visor, ear plugs, extra eye brow vents and warranty card. These are supplied free with limited editions, esp. the dark visor.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:19   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The SparX lids that you get here are imported by Performance Racing Store and supplied to various helmet shops, one such being Orion Yamaha (behind Forum Mall). They used to have some on sale for 5k or so. Not sure if they still do.

The limited/special edition ones retail for 8.5k. If you get the limited edition, insist on a clear visor and a dark visor, ear plugs, extra eye brow vents and warranty card. These are supplied free with limited editions, esp. the dark visor.
I'm looking at plain jane helmets. Saw a plain red one with a friend, eager to get the same.

How is the noise level in the sparX? Both my Suomy Extreme and Arai Corsair V are extremely noisy, while my 6 year old AGV is dead silent.

Suggestion taken, will give them a visit today. Hope they are open by 7pm.
Old 10th January 2012, 16:59   #619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw a plain red one with a friend, eager to get the same. How is the noise level in the sparX? Both my Suomy Extreme and Arai Corsair V are extremely noisy, while my 6 year old AGV is dead silent.
Plain jane red like this?

I cant really comment on the noise level since i ride with all the vents open (eyebrow and chin vents). If you ride with these vents closed and add a wind/air curtain at the chin area (from an LS2 helmet like i did) it should make the lid pretty noiseless but i doubt if you will achieve the same result as in the AGV's.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2.jpg

A review on the SparX can be found here.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 17:13   #620
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, Looking for one similar to the one you posted. Very helpful!

Noise question was just for information, I've got used to noisy helmets so wouldn't mind another noisy one :P

Will give airoh a try as well.
Old 10th January 2012, 17:55   #621
BHPian

I had a crash with my LS2 helmet, it was a major impact and sure it saved me from serious head / face injuries. Just to let you know, due to the impact I had a minor internal jaw injury and the pain was there for couple of days while I tried chew. I changed the visor and started using it again, however quite a few people are suggesting that I should not use it. After such a crash, helmet is useless and should be replaced. Please suggest!
throttleking is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:03   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
.... I changed the visor and started using it again, however quite a few people are suggesting that I should not use it. After such a crash, helmet is useless and should be replaced. Please suggest!
Firstly sorry to hear about the crash and glad you made it out unscathed. And yes, a helmet is good for a single major impact and has to be replaced. You can retain this to do grocery duty while a new one can do the duty for your regular rides. This is discussed a few pages back as well. Even if the helmet falls from your hand onto a hard surface more than a few times, it is compromised!!
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 18:36   #623
BHPian

Quote:
I had a crash with my LS2 helmet, it was a major impact and sure it saved me from serious head / face injuries. Just to let you know, due to the impact I had a minor internal jaw injury and the pain was there for couple of days while I tried chew. I changed the visor and started using it again, however quite a few people are suggesting that I should not use it. After such a crash, helmet is useless and should be replaced. Please suggest!
Maybe an old quote from the thread answers your question

Quote:
Helmets have something called an EPS. It contracts and absorbs the force when the helmet hits the pavement in a crash. Which means, even if you drop the helmet from waist high or bang it on some hard surface while carrying it, the EPS will do its thing and you won't even know it.

Now, if you crash in that helmet, its not going to offer any protection. So, when you keep a helmet on the bike, you won't even know if some idiot had dropped it and kept it back or if some other bike fell over and hit the helmet.

You can look at it in two ways. A helmet is like glass/crystal. If you drop it, its gone.

Or

Its like a condom. Once its done what it was supposed to do, it has to be thrown away .
MurtazaGhiya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 19:28   #624
Senior - BHPian

Went to Orion today to check on the helmets.

Had alook at some Sparx and Airoh lids, Sparx ones sorta didnt fit me well, Airoh ones did.

So I asked him how much, he said 7800. I told him a friend had asked you the price last week, it was 7.5K (referring to Aditya's post) he told me no no its 780.

Said OK, gimme the helmet. But wait - He says the price is 14K! I'm like WHAT? he pointed out it was some different model. Said okay, which is the 7800 one then. He pointed out another helmet and said no the price is 8400 not 7800 :|

I just went out of the shop. Looks like those morons just up the price however they want if you show them an intent to buy. Will never go to their shops again.

Any other helmet shops in blore?
Old 10th January 2012, 20:11   #625
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank god for helmets.

To understand why you need to change your helmet, you need to understand how they work.

There are two layers. One hard outer shell and a soft inner layer.
The outer shell dissipates the energy of a crash and saves your head.
But if your head comes to a sudden stop the brain (which is semisolid) and following the laws of inertia continues to move.

The soft layer deforms itself. Much like how a pillow deflates when you punch into it. This deformation allows the head to come to a slower stop inside the helmet.

But this layer cannot get back its shape. Like when you punch a thermacol sheet.

This is why, even if your outer shell looks good, a helmet once crashed MUST be replaced.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 20:32   #626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thank god for helmets.

To understand why you need to change your helmet, you need to understand how they work.

There are two layers. One hard outer shell and a soft inner layer.
The outer shell dissipates the energy of a crash and saves your head.
But if your head comes to a sudden stop the brain (which is semisolid) and following the laws of inertia continues to move.

The soft layer deforms itself. Much like how a pillow deflates when you punch into it. This deformation allows the head to come to a slower stop inside the helmet.

But this layer cannot get back its shape. Like when you punch a thermacol sheet.

This is why, even if your outer shell looks good, a helmet once crashed MUST be replaced.
Imran, thank you so much for explaining this. Sure its high time to change the helmet for me. But still one quick question, if this acts like thermacol then shouldn't this affect the fittings inside the helmet? I cant feel any difference in inner padding.
Old 10th January 2012, 20:47   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went to Orion today to check on the helmets.

Had alook at some Sparx and Airoh lids, Sparx ones sorta didnt fit me well, Airoh ones did.

So I asked him how much, he said 7800. I told him a friend had asked you the price last week, it was 7.5K (referring to Aditya's post) he told me no no its 780.

Said OK, gimme the helmet. But wait - He says the price is 14K! I'm like WHAT? he pointed out it was some different model. Said okay, which is the 7800 one then. He pointed out another helmet and said no the price is 8400 not 7800 :|

I just went out of the shop. Looks like those morons just up the price however they want if you show them an intent to buy. Will never go to their shops again.

They are a bunch of morons ,Where ever I go, they say We don't have that size ,don't know when it will come . They actually don't care .More of the helmets have a thick coat of dust .

Try balaji helmets in front of urvashi theater , the guy is most helpful and makes sure you walk out with helmet .

Once I tested his patience for one hour to retrofit a different helmet's visor on GPone . He was patient enough to try out all the combinations to get me a perfect visor .
Old 10th January 2012, 21:19   #628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Went to Orion today to check on the helmets. Had alook at some Sparx and Airoh lids, Sparx ones sorta didnt fit me well, Airoh ones did. So I asked him how much, he said 7800. I told him a friend had asked you the price last week, it was 7.5K (referring to Aditya's post) he told me no no its 780.

Sunny, when i visited them (and posted the prices here), i was a bit surprised myself as they were selling the Airoh's for a bit cheaper than the prices quoted by Bachoo Motors.

Maybe they were having a festival offer or just had messed up the price information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Try balaji helmets in front of urvashi theater , the guy is most helpful and makes sure you walk out with helmet.
Balaji helmets are known to quote very high prices. You have to bargain hard with them to get a good deal. For some of us, we dont have the patience to do so. I walked out not once but twice from Balaji helmets (and helmet paradise which also belongs to them) since the guy was quoting 4k for the revive gloves (and 4.5k for an LS2 lid which i managed to buy for ~4k elsewhere). Had to show him the correct price of Rs. 1990/- on the planet dsg website on my phone for the gloves and he sheepishly said he was confused. Till then he was showing me some cheaper variety gloves like pro biker ones for 2k.

Not trying to devalue your post but thought it would be better for me to share this bit since it pays to be well informed.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th January 2012 at 21:26.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:05   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
.More of the helmets have a thick coat of dust . .
The KBC helmets had a huge layer of dust on them. When I asked him if this is how they keep their helmets, he just said he cleans them every day :|

Will give Balaji a visit anyway. Don't have much hopes, this was a very sore experience for me buying helmets in Bangalore shops.

I'll get a new visor and pivot covers for my Suomy. Will cost almost as much as a sparx lid, but its far better than any helmet one can get here.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 10th January 2012 at 22:09.
Old 10th January 2012, 22:28   #630
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Imran, thank you so much for explaining this. Sure its high time to change the helmet for me. But still one quick question, if this acts like thermacol then shouldn't this affect the fittings inside the helmet? I cant feel any difference in inner padding.
Unfortunately its not possible to visually identify the deformation.

Also remember they got pressed in by a large flat object...your head. So you will not feel a up-down (speedbreaker kinds for lack of a better word) sort of a defined bump.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks