Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2012, 21:12   #631
Team-BHP Support

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'm looking at plain jane helmets. Saw a plain red one with a friend, eager to get the same.

How is the noise level in the sparX? Both my Suomy Extreme and Arai Corsair V are extremely noisy, while my 6 year old AGV is dead silent.

Suggestion taken, will give them a visit today. Hope they are open by 7pm.
You can get a skirt for your helmet.
SPEEDMETAL Wind Stopper Helmet Skirt - Street Gear - Cycle Gear
Old 13th January 2012, 20:29   #632
Senior - BHPian

Recently purchased LS2 Speed.While it is light years ahead of the Vega Boolean I used for a couple of months recently, the lid is much better than the Indian made AGV I have used for a few days.
Old 18th January 2012, 18:27   #633
BHPian

Could not resist myself from posting the pictures of my Helmet here on this thread. Got a helmet custom painted with Dupont Silky Maroon Color, RE decals and Dupont Clear Coat. The color was selected to go with my bike's color. This helmet is only used during the Ride Meets or Bike Meets. Other times, it is always my Ninja or Full face Studds helmet.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-red_strykr.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-red_strykrs-head-gear.jpg
traveloholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2012, 20:43   #634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Recently purchased LS2 Speed.While it is light years ahead of the Vega Boolean I used for a couple of months recently, the lid is much better than the Indian made AGV I have used for a few days.

How much did you pay for it?Can you post some pics?
Also are there a wide range of models available in LS2 in india?
Old 18th January 2012, 21:19   #635
BHPian

LS 2 Dragon costs somewhere around 2.6K in Bangalore
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 03:51   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
How much did you pay for it?Can you post some pics?
Also are there a wide range of models available in LS2 in india?
The MRP was INR 3400 but due to some friendly relations with the seller, I got it for INR 2500, a full 100 bucks lesser than the price of base model of LS2. There was this scheme on this outgoing model which entitled you a cash discount of 500-750 Rs. by exchanging your old ISI marked helmet. I though, got the lid without having to surrender my Vega. Yes, the range is quite good and you can also look at Cross helmets which retail for the same price. The helmet has removable inner cushions, dust pad and nose pad (apologies for not using the correct terminology).

PS- Soon uploading the pics

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 19th January 2012 at 03:53.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 10:56   #637
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Throttleking - No two ways about it, change your helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Sunny, when i visited them (and posted the prices here), i was a bit surprised myself as they were selling the Airoh's for a bit cheaper than the prices quoted by Bachoo Motors.

Maybe they were having a festival offer or just had messed up the price information.

Balaji helmets are known to quote very high prices. You have to bargain hard with them to get a good deal. For some of us, we dont have the patience to do so. I walked out not once but twice from Balaji helmets (and helmet paradise which also belongs to them) since the guy was quoting 4k for the revive gloves (and 4.5k for an LS2 lid which i managed to buy for ~4k elsewhere). Had to show him the correct price of Rs. 1990/- on the planet dsg website on my phone for the gloves and he sheepishly said he was confused. Till then he was showing me some cheaper variety gloves like pro biker ones for 2k.

Not trying to devalue your post but thought it would be better for me to share this bit since it pays to be well informed.
Agree. Ive had bad experiences with Balaji helmets and always try to avoid them. I dont have a nice word to say. Orion Motors seems content to fill their first floor with riding gear and cycles and it feels like they just want to fill up the floor space and not really make money off it. If they donated one buck to a charity each time they promised a potential riding gear customer that new stock was coming 'next week' .....

@ SuunyBoi - Last Sunday I had gone to JC Road with a friend who wanted a new helmet. We went to Helmet Paradise where they showed us Sparx, KBC, Nuvo and HJC helmets and the prices were okay. We didnt bargain because my friend realised that he was getting the same Sparx helmet in Calcutta for 5.2k and ended up buying him a Nero jacket instead. It helped that I went in with my KBC, Nero and A* boots so the sales guy didnt try pulling off too much of sales mumbo jumbo The selection was pretty decent considering how small the market is.

Check out Megha helmets as well, its visible from the signal. They are dealers for SOL helmets which have entered the market recently.
Old 20th January 2012, 11:08   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Could not resist myself from posting the pictures of my Helmet here on this thread. Got a helmet custom painted with Dupont Silky Maroon Color, RE decals and Dupont Clear Coat. The color was selected to go with my bike's color. This helmet is only used during the Ride Meets or Bike Meets. Other times, it is always my Ninja or Full face Studds helmet.
Appreciate the effort! Looks good.

Last edited by Technocrat : 21st January 2012 at 02:15. Reason: Splitting post to helmet tread & riding gears thread :)
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 14:16   #639
BHPian

I have a Vega FP2 (not very common, I believe). It looks almost exactly like the Cross Shark. My problem is it comes only with a mercury visor. I tried getting another visor at the factory and they told me they don't have it at all.
This is not my everyday helmet so I am not too bothered at the moment and I seldom ride at night when I am traveling but however I would feel safer with a clear visor.
Does anyone have a solution for this?

PS: I tried the shark visor but it does not close properly and there is a gap of a couple of millimeters at the bottom.
Old 20th January 2012, 17:56   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
BTW have half face Vintage NOS Yamaha orange color helmat with bubble visior along with one Blue half face helmat and couple of old helmats which i use to use for other bikes, need input for good full face helmat available locally or dont mind importing one as well.
If you can share your budget we would be able to help you make a right decision in terms of brand. A good full face helmet is the way to go irrespective of whether it is for a spin around the neighbourhood or for coffee or a long ride.
Old 30th January 2012, 16:08   #641
BHPian

I am interested in buying a helmet but confused with the range available.

I saw LS2, Vega, Daijya and Sparx at Helmet Paradise opposite Urvashi theater and was impressed the most with Daijya due to its day/night mode visor, air pump mechanism etc. All the three apart from Vega were having ECE rating in the sticker form as mentioned by many here. Vega new model looked exactly like LS2 with similar mechanisms and visors.

Pricing and weight varies from 2500 to 7000 range, I am more keen on Daijya priced at 4750. My worry is ECE sticker, LS2 can also be procured with DOT inscribed. Should I go for Daijya, LS2 with DOT rating or similar looking much cheaper Vega ISI, priority more on safety than fancy paint job looks thanks to me being very infrequent biker of late?
Old 30th January 2012, 18:12   #642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
I am interested in buying a helmet but confused with the range available.
I'd go with Dajiya. I've seen it, and felt it very light as compared to my LS2. Also, you might have neck pains on wearing the LS2 over long distances (I had some pain when I did a 300km one way ride) because it's on the heavier side. Also, there is ample wind noise at speeds above 100kmph. Since you have quite a decent budget, you could check the Nuvo range of helmets too. My next upgrade is going to be a Icon though!

Last edited by prateekm : 30th January 2012 at 18:13.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 18:31   #643
Senior - BHPian

If you okay with the wind noise than Dajiya is fairly decent for the money. But be prepared for alot of wind flow over 150 kmph. Definitely not for touring but okay for city riding.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 17:29   #644
Senior - BHPian

Instinctively I fell for the Daijya G-Fit Samurai D-220 Graphite today! Bought it for INR 4600 at Helmet Paradise opposite Urvashi Theatre.

Daijya G-Fit Samurai: D-220 Graphite - 4,750.00Rs

Worth it? There is a pump to adjust cheek pad - seems like a gimmick and doesn't work or something needs to adjusted.

Comments please.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2012, 18:01   #645
BHPian

Congrats shubz, I took the same model but in red with no discount in spite of bargaining. :-( Thanks a lot to all for the inputs.

The air pump though works in my case. IMO your helmet may be a size too big.

Most Viewed