Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2012, 14:23   #676
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Not intending to further "bash" the Daijya product but the DSG folks have still not confirmed where this lid is manufactured and which company does so. They confirm they own the rights and sell/market these through their network.

So as a customer it is only fair to ask/know:

1. who makes the product (credibility) since there seems to be no other search result for this product

2. what tests are conducted for consumer safety

I have nothing against this product or the dealer so please don't misconstrue my post
Sir - I apologize if it came across as misconstruing your post. I am posting this for the benefit of the community and I am posting it verbatim. I have no commercial gains from this company.

Here is the 2nd part of my conversation with PlanetDSG.

My reply:
Originally Posted by Shubz
Thank you so much for your reply. For me to verify the product, I am yet to use your product. I just bought the product a day before.

Secondly when I mentioned the certification "sticker", Products like Sparkx, KBC have it printed on the shell. So the concern. As you know ISI stickers can be obtained and stuck on any helmets.

Their response:

In brief, an ECE certified helmet is required to sport following:
1, a " visible label" on helmet which should also clearly mention average weight to nearest 50 gms. There is no restriction that it has to be printed, stuck, embedded. Sticker type whether plain or embossed is also on manufacturer.
2, a approval label sewn on retention system(strap) with a continuous production serial number for each helmet.
3, visor requires an embossed approval(which is embedded in our visors on left side at top) alongwith details of usage suitablity for daytime/nighttime.

I trust this clears any doubts still left in your mind since ECE regulation 22 is the most stringent helmet safety standard in the world and not just limited to a manufacturer putting an embossed label on the back of a helmet.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:27   #677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Sir - I apologize if it came across as misconstruing your post. I am posting this for the benefit of the community and I am posting it verbatim. I have no commercial gains from this company.
Shubhankar, no need to apologize. I was not referring to your post or any other post. It was a generic post and hence i did not quote anyone in my post.

Glad that we all are able to make meaningful posts and get the facts right without any issues.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:33   #678
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Certification stickers are "stuck" on helmets and not embossed. This is a standard norm across the world for practically all brands and not limited to our products.
Does the helmet at least have a label inside like this.

File:Casque homologation.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think that a sticker as opposed to a printed/ embossed label is acceptable.
Old 7th February 2012, 14:51   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost

Does the helmet at least have a label inside like this.

File:Casque homologation.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think that a sticker as opposed to a printed/ embossed label is acceptable.
This is the label it sports.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120207_145140.png
Views: 2807
Size:  164.8 KB
Old 7th February 2012, 18:44   #680
Senior - BHPian

And I still haven't got a reply to my question "What is the country of Origin/Where is it actually made?" Am sure even Nitin would not have got his answer.
Old 7th February 2012, 18:46   #681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Neil,
I agree to most of your posts but do not see any specific reason for you to be beating daijya & DSG black & blue.
They do provide an ECE certification certificate which in itself is a good certification.

This is a forum for the benefit of most & would appreciate if we use responsible comments.
Please provide data if you have.

Am reporting the post to the mods & please declare if you have a commercial affiliation.
Thanks!

I don't have any & I just returned a daijya helmet; however it doesn't mean they are shady.
My only intention over the last few posts was to make people aware that the origins of Daijya hemets were not clear (and Im not the only one who feels this way) so that they can make an informed decision. I appreciate people who invest in riding gear but I believe that it is not something that you want to take a chance with. For the last few years I have been trying to do my bit to get people to invest in the best quality riding gear they can afford. You can check my plethora of posts in the other automotive forum.

Wrt commercial affiliation, I use a DSG Nero everytime I ride my bike and have recommended the jacket to so many people (and have even ensured that quite a few of them have bought it and then used it regularly), that I think DSG should give me a substantial commission
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 19:54   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho
For the last few years I have been trying to do my bit to get people to invest in the best quality riding gear they can afford.

Wrt commercial affiliation, I use a DSG Nero everytime I ride my bike and have recommended the jacket to so many people (and have even ensured that quite a few of them have bought it and then used it regularly), that I think DSG should give me a substantial commission
Appreciate the same, Neil! Same here and I vouch for the DSG Nero as well having used the same jacket over 30k+ kms of riding so you have competition. The idea was not to offend you and hopefully you took it in the correct spirit.

In fact am off to Nepal / Bhutan on my RE and will be back after a couple of weeks to post DSG's reply to my second email which they still haven't. Even I didn't find Daijya too enticing; however request to wait for them to come clean.

Cheers!
Old 7th February 2012, 20:57   #683
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the label it sports.

Attachment 883986
E9 -> Spain.

Motorcycle Helmet Safety - Helmet-Guide.com

Another good read: http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/universa...tml#post642023

Last edited by bblost : 7th February 2012 at 20:59.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 21:32   #684
Senior - BHPian

Thats an awesome read. Some excerpts from the ECE22.05 regulation guide which could help many. (Please note I am not promoting any brand here - this is purely based on what I comprehended off the guide and what is present on my helmet now)

E9 - Spain - A circle surrounding the letter "E" followed by the
distinguishing number of the country which has granted approval. But still doesn't mean it is manufactured in that country.

P - if the helmet has a protective lower face cover

A dash followed by production serial number.

051619 is the approval number.

Sliding bar and double-D ring fastening devices shall be fitted with a pulling flap to be used for releasing the retention system. Its colour must be red and its minimum dimensions must be 10 x 20 mm -- Present on the Daijya

Not sure what the rest of the numbers denote.
Old 8th February 2012, 18:48   #685
Senior - BHPian

This is not to defend or bash any product. However a group of my biking friends here in Bangalore got themselves Nexx helmets.

Awesome finish and graphics. Costs a bomb though (Printed MRP was 18000 on the box)
Additional padding etc in a separate pouch.

ECE 22.05 - stickered at the back, not embossed.
Old 10th February 2012, 23:57   #686
Senior - BHPian

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/testing/co...8/2008s218.pdf - Some interesting read.

Mods - Please feel free to delete if found inappropriate or obsolete.
Old 11th February 2012, 01:01   #687
Senior - BHPian

Some more info - Difference between different certifications.

DOT testing is "once and done" - Manufacturers have to follow the norms after that and do in-house testing from time to time.

ECE requires continuous testing of a certain percentage of all helmet production to maintain their certification. That prevents unscrupulous manufacturers from making changes in production that might compromise the safety of the helmet.

SNELL does random batch testing as well as going into dealers and buying a helmet off the shelf and testing them

Request mods to merge both my posts. Thanks.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 19:05   #688
Senior - BHPian

Finally got rid of the impulsive buy of Daijya and got myself a SparX - S-07 Nemesis Grey!

Perfect fit!

Got a dark visor along with it, ear plugs and a set of eyebrow vents! Not to forget a reflective "X" along with another longer sticker (don't know where to stick that though) :P

Its got the double-D ring chin fastener!
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:18   #689
BHPian

Quote:
And I still haven't got a reply to my question "What is the country of Origin/Where is it actually made?" Am sure even Nitin would not have got his answer.
Spot on Shubz! The first response which was politically correct and vague was received in 10 mins but they havent come back on specifics and its been 2 weeks!!

Quote:
Finally got rid of the impulsive buy of Daijya
That makes it two of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
My only intention over the last few posts was to make people aware that the origins of Daijya hemets were not clear
That makes me fall in line Neil. Silence is golden or does it leave room for ambiguity? - referring to DSG not replying to clarification emails. Including Shubz and I, it makes 3 people they havent responded to in the last 2 weeks, funny or coincidence?

Mods - Can I refer to team-bhp in my email to try entice some response?

OT & PS: Nepal was awesome, Delhi-Mahedranagar-Bardia-Tansen-Pokhra-Kathmandu-Lumbini-Bardia-Delhi: 8 days 2400 kms of bliss on my TBTS.

Last edited by nitin.rai : 22nd February 2012 at 19:19.
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:22   #690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Spot on Shubz! The first response which was politically correct and vague was received in 10 mins but they havent come back on specifics and its been 2 weeks!!

referring to DSG not replying to clarification emails. Including Shubz and I, it makes 3 people they havent responded to in the last 2 weeks, funny or coincidence?

Mods - Can I refer to team-bhp in my email to try entice some response?
Neither have I heard from them on my question on its Origin but got replies on other queries after that (stating - "we check mails once a week")

This is not to bash Daijya (for all we know it could be one of the best) but the sole point of contact, in my opinion, should cater to customer queries - even if they have to come out with a response like "that is confidential info and cannot be shared with general public" lol. But not answering at all makes one wonder.

Anyway I just want to quote an example of my friend (from another forum) who had bought the same lid of Daijya as I had - didn't fit him. same story as mine - head rolling inside the lid etc - used it for almost a week - went back to the retailer for an exchange - got it exchanged to Daijya (again) carbon costing INR 12900 - and was offered 50% on the other one.. lol

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks