Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 11:37   #721
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
...did you get the visor with the tint or the clear one?
Got the tinted exchanged for a clear one. The visor is really clear as though its not there at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
...Not trying to pop your bubble but research indicates that yellow and white are best colors for a helmet since they are easily spotted... Do take care of it since matt finishes are more prone to scratches and get dull pretty quick.
Now you've made me think if I did choose the right lid, because even my cousin was suggesting to go for a Glossy White-Black combo (LS 2 Diamond Design) citing the same reasons you mentioned above.
Old 8th April 2012, 15:14   #722
BHPian

Hi Everyone.

Do we get imported AVG helmets in Mumbai? Not the
Indian made ones though. And can anyone suggest a good place to shop for helmets in mumbai. Not a rip-off. Any help is appreciated.
Old 8th April 2012, 16:32   #723
Senior - BHPian

^^^ - Performance racing store in tardeo.
Old 9th April 2012, 23:25   #724
BHPian

Hi all,

I am planning to get the Vega Off road Helmet with retractable goggles to go with my Hero Impulse

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-vega-odff-road-helmet.png

(Vega OFF-ROAD [Motocross Helmet w/Goggles]- Matt Black | eBay ).

Please give me your valuable suggestions on the same.

SJD.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:35   #725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJD@NewDelhi View Post
I am planning to get the Vega Off road Helmet with retractable goggles to go with my Hero Impulse. Please give me your valuable suggestions on the same.
I reckon its ISI certified so go ahead and buy it. Just ensure it is a snug fit around your skull and the helmet does not move a lot or wobble when worn. Ensure the strap is secured when the helmet is worn.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 11:35   #726
BHPian

Quote:
...Please give me your valuable suggestions on the same...
After my short use of 5 months, I notice that the Vega helmets have a nice fit for the "average Indian head"

The quality of the securing clasp and strap seems really good, but I cant say the same for the removable inner padding. Its held together by cheap press-buttons which have already begun to rust. The retractable tinted half-visor also looks and feels very flimsy, and gets stuck halfway. The clear visor has a press-lock when fully closed, which also malfunctions.

Plus points: Washable innards, air vents, no need for sunglasses (the tinted visor is not powered, unlike some cheap sunglasses), sturdy but not heavy, openable jaw (on my Vega Boolean) for added ventilation

Overall, I guess its a decent buy for the 1300-odd IIRC.

Cheers,
Rahul

Last edited by voodoochild : 10th April 2012 at 11:37.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 12:08   #727
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
After my short use of 5 months, I notice that the Vega helmets have a nice fit for the "average Indian head"

The quality of the securing clasp and strap seems really good, but I cant say the same for the removable inner padding. Its held together by cheap press-buttons which have already begun to rust. The retractable tinted half-visor also looks and feels very flimsy, and gets stuck halfway. The clear visor has a press-lock when fully closed, which also malfunctions.

Plus points: Washable innards, air vents, no need for sunglasses (the tinted visor is not powered, unlike some cheap sunglasses), sturdy but not heavy, openable jaw (on my Vega Boolean) for added ventilation

Overall, I guess its a decent buy for the 1300-odd IIRC.

Cheers,
Rahul
with the points.Let me pen down my observations after 3 years of usage.

->Padding size shrinks drastically after washing a couple of times.This make the helmet fit loose. Soln->Change the chin padding every year.They cost 60 bucks a pair

->The inner visor is pretty useless if you have a MORE protruding nose since it will come and sit on the nose when fuly opened! Irritating

->The air vents at the top will have effect IF you cut a hole in the padding inside the helmet at the point where are holes are.You can see the holes when you remove the padding.Also sometime the holes in the helmet need to be widened by inserting a pencil into them.They are way too small

->The visor is very sensitive to scratches and turns slightly yellow in an year.Costs 200 bucks to replace

->Lots of wind noise above 40 kmph.Helmet unstable and moves around when at speeds above 70-80 kmph

->The jaw opening mechanism will become over loose,spring which hold it in place falls off. If its under warranty then no problem.The helmet sellers have all the tools and spares to set it right. Outside warranty costs some 50 bucks to set right

Bottom line.This helmet is built for its price.A real VFM buy.stylish too. I recommend to use this helmet for max 2 years(till the warranty is there) after which the parts will start to fall off.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 13:36   #728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
->The visor is very sensitive to scratches...

->Lots of wind noise above 40 kmph.Helmet unstable and moves around when at speeds above 70-80 kmph
Oops, forgot to mention these. The wind noise with the Boolean is loud enough to sort of mute the Roadking's growl! Was much less with the cheap "Marlboro Schumacher" helmet I owned once
I think this is because of the slightly protruding panels at the ear region on the Boolean. One of them became slightly displaced and started vibrating with the wind, so had to super-glue it back. Now I dunno how I'll yank it off if I need to change the visor!
But I still say its quite worth its price.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 20:06   #729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
with the points.Let me pen down my observations after 3 years of usage.

->Padding size shrinks drastically after washing a couple of times.

->The visor is very sensitive to scratches and turns slightly yellow in an year.Costs 200 bucks to replace

->The jaw opening mechanism will become over loose,spring which hold it in place falls off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post

Thanks Voodoochild and sagarpadaki for your valuable suggestions. Keeping in mind your words of caution on the sensitivity of the visor to scratches, noise above 40 kmph, loose jaw opening mech and rustable press-buttons, I've decided to lay off this helmet as I've a Kimi Zeenex One now which also do have these traits and wants to fly off my skull after 60kmph. Moreover, a closer look at this Vega off-roader makes me feel that it isn't sturdy enough and stable for long trips I am planning to use it for.

Alternatively, I've come up with a Studs flip-off type which I am finding suitable due to its durability and its retractable jaws which will serve the purpose of touring very well (imagine the claustrophobia the Vega off-roader will create).

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-studds-downtown-flip-off-helmet.png

New Microsoft Office Word Document.docx

NEW Studds Downtown FLIP-OFF Helmet w/Goggles & Removable JAW-BUY NOW! | eBay

I would like to know what you think of this particular Stud Flip-off type helmet.

Suraj.
Old 10th April 2012, 20:36   #730
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Voodoochild and sagarpadaki for your valuable suggestions. Keeping in mind your words of caution on the sensitivity of the visor to scratches, noise above 40 kmph, loose jaw opening mech and rustable press-buttons, I've decided to lay off this helmet as I've a Kimi Zeenex One now which also do have these traits and wants to fly off my skull after 60kmph. Moreover, a closer look at this Vega off-roader makes me feel that it isn't sturdy enough and stable for long trips I am planning to use it for.

Alternatively, I've come up with a Studs flip-off type which I am finding suitable due to its durability and its retractable jaws which will serve the purpose of touring very well (imagine the claustrophobia the Vega off-roader will create).

Attachment 914580

Attachment 914579

NEW Studds Downtown FLIP-OFF Helmet w/Goggles & Removable JAW-BUY NOW! | eBay

I would like to know what you think of this particular Stud Flip-off type helmet.

Suraj.

Stay away from the stidds helmet. It will offer zero frontal protection in case of a crash since there is every chance that the jaw guard make come off during the impact.

I suggest you buy the Studds ninja 3G. satisfies all your needs
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 08:44   #731
BHPian

I have an AGV which is about 1.5 years old , i want to change the helmet shield ,which i am not able to source ..checked in ebay its a whooping 5k for it

When i was buying the helmet i was told by the seller that i would have a tough time getting spares for it , as MPA has stopped selling AGV in India

Can any one help me out with where i can source the shield from ,BTW i am from Bangalore

Thanks in advance friends
Abhishek
Old 13th April 2012, 11:03   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ego4evr View Post
I have an AGV which is about 1.5 years old , i want to change the helmet shield ,which i am not able to source ..checked in ebay its a whooping 5k for it

When i was buying the helmet i was told by the seller that i would have a tough time getting spares for it , as MPA has stopped selling AGV in India

Can any one help me out with where i can source the shield from ,BTW i am from Bangalore

Thanks in advance friends
Abhishek
If its the MPA AGV then the visor should not cost more than 500 bucks, tops.

The prices you have seen on eBay is for the real deal AGV's that are imported and not the MPA ones.

Go to Helmet Paradise next to MTR Hotel on Lalbagh road and speak to Mr. Ramesh there. Or opposite MTR hotel there is a shop by name Megha Enterprises. Speak to Gaurav there. You might be able to get hold of a visor at these shops.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 12:33   #733
BHPian

Looking to buy a good helmet with a budget of 5K. Could you guys recommend a good full frame. I have seen pics of many LS2, etc but for me the graphics are a little too loud. Am looking for a solid helmet with probably stripe running at the center.

Really like AGV Blade series, but its half frame and not available in India.

Another question is regarding importing a helmet from online stores abroad... would they attract custom duty? and is the process complicated?

I would really appreciate anyone shedding light to these queries.. thanks in advance.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:35   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Looking to buy a good helmet with a budget of 5K. Could you guys recommend a good full frame. I have seen pics of many LS2, etc but for me the graphics are a little too loud. Am looking for a solid helmet with probably stripe running at the center. Another question is regarding importing a helmet from online stores abroad... would they attract custom duty? and is the process complicated?
For under 5k you can get an LS2 or Cross or something on similar lines. These are available in solid colors, matt or gloss finish.

If you're spending 5k take a look at Sol helmets (sold as GMax in the USA, DOT certified and helmet of the year as per webbikeworld.com in 2007).

Since you are in mumbai pay a visit to Performance Racing Store or Bachoo Motors or see PlanetDSG : Motorcycle Riding Gear, Accessories, Apparel and... They have a wide range of accessories for bikers.

Last edited by n_aditya : 13th April 2012 at 14:39.
Old 18th April 2012, 17:51   #735
BHPian

Guys,any good options under 2000 INR(DOT Certification,Full Face)
Preferred brands-Cross/LS2
Colour-White&Red(For an FZ with the same colours)
The Helmet should look good and blend with the FZ's colour.
Should my friend(FZ owner) get smoked Visors/Mirror Finished Visors or the transparent one?!
[I have suggested a transparent visor]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks