Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2012, 23:25   #856
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Bought a KBC VR Laguna II ECE R 22.05 certified helmet. This is oficially imported by PRS Mumbai. Paid Rs 8000 to Helmet Paradise.

Product Description:
  • Powercore shell technology, constucted using a specially selected mix of advanced impact resistant thermo alloy resins, and the latest injection moulding technology
  • Dual layer EPS with integrated air-intake ventilation system (AIVS)
  • Pinlock® ready, flat 2.2mm scratch resistant visor
  • Perfect seal ratchet system
  • One-touch visor release system
  • Duralux fully removable/washable liner and cheek pads
  • Customisable interior for the perfect fit
  • Removable chin spoiler
  • Double D-ring chin strap retention system
  • ACU Gold approved
  • Meets or exceeds ECE R 22.05 standard
Helmet Paradise guys were convincing me to buy LS2 telling me that LS2, Sparx, KBC are of same quality. Looks like they have good margin in LS2.
Narula123 from tbhp suggested me to buy KBC. Thanks for the suggestion bro.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20121028-22.56.05.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20121028-22.56.29.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20121028-22.56.49.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20121028-22.57.27.jpg  

Old 29th October 2012, 00:04   #857
BHPian

I have been using an inexpensive but really comfortable open face helmet from Volga but now I am on the lookout for a good full face helmet for touring with a budget of 5k. So far I have listed the SOL SF-1 and SL68s-II but I want to consider some more helmets. My requirements are that the helmet should be in white with no or minimal graphics (stripes, chequered flag, logos etc.) and should be comfortable for touring. Please share your suggestions. Also, I know that AGV had started manufacturing cheaper helmets in India last year after acquiring MPA helmets but I don't find any website for these helmets. Does anyone have any info on this?
Old 29th October 2012, 09:13   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
I have been using an inexpensive but really comfortable open face helmet from Volga but now I am on the lookout for a good full face helmet for touring with a budget of 5k. So far I have listed the SOL SF-1 and SL68s-II but I want to consider some more helmets.

Also, I know that AGV had started manufacturing cheaper helmets in India last year after acquiring MPA helmets but I don't find any website for these helmets. Does anyone have any info on this?
SparX has some helmets in the 5k range. MPA AGV is no longer in production as the joint venture ceased long back.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:23   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Great buy. Did you checkout the SF1 too? The padding on that felt more comfortable and plusher. Getting one soon.
No I didnt look for any other modelThis one was good enough for me.
Old 4th November 2012, 10:52   #860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazkowicz View Post
I have been using an inexpensive but really comfortable open face helmet from Volga but now I am on the lookout for a good full face helmet for touring with a budget of 5k. So far I have listed the SOL SF-1 and SL68s-II but I want to consider some more helmets. My requirements are that the helmet should be in white with no or minimal graphics (stripes, chequered flag, logos etc.) and should be comfortable for touring. Please share your suggestions. Also, I know that AGV had started manufacturing cheaper helmets in India last year after acquiring MPA helmets but I don't find any website for these helmets. Does anyone have any info on this?
If your budget is 5K, I'd suggest the Sparx or the SOL. SOL's are better in terms of aerodynamics but Sparx is way better in terms of construction quality
sasikiran_bs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 13:01   #861
BHPian

Hi,

i hope to get some suggestion from my fellow forum members, I want to buy a good quality helmet, if price is an indicator of quality, then I am looking at a budget of 10k. Wanted to know the your suggestion in this price range. As helmet fit trial is a necessity I want to try out the helmet before purchase. I am based out in bangalore, I have tried SOL (Quality lower than I am willing to pay), LS2 (I own one, and I want to upgrade), Sparx (suggestion welcome). HJC (suggestion welcome).

Also, does all Arai & Shoey brands have the same sizes across models? (I had tried an Arai in PRS mumbai, medium size fits me good, wondering if the medium will be the same if I buy from US or Europe?

Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 15:10   #862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Hi,

i hope to get some suggestion from my fellow forum members, I want to buy a good quality helmet, if price is an indicator of quality, then I am looking at a budget of 10k. Wanted to know the your suggestion in this price range. As helmet fit trial is a necessity I want to try out the helmet before purchase. I am based out in bangalore, I have tried SOL (Quality lower than I am willing to pay), LS2 (I own one, and I want to upgrade), Sparx (suggestion welcome). HJC (suggestion welcome).

Also, does all Arai & Shoey brands have the same sizes across models? (I had tried an Arai in PRS mumbai, medium size fits me good, wondering if the medium will be the same if I buy from US or Europe?

Thanks
If you have tried it from PRS, then they are authentic. It will be the same size internationally as well. SparX and HJC are very good lids too. If you have the means of getting Arai/Shoei from EU or US -- I'd say go for it!

In Bangalore you can go to Orion motors (opposite Forum Koramangala) or Helmet Paradise JC road to try out various brands to reconfirm your sizes.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 16:20   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
If you have tried it from PRS, then they are authentic. It will be the same size internationally as well. SparX and HJC are very good lids too. If you have the means of getting Arai/Shoei from EU or US -- I'd say go for it!

In Bangalore you can go to Orion motors (opposite Forum Koramangala) or Helmet Paradise JC road to try out various brands to reconfirm your sizes.
Heyy Shubz,

Thanks for your info, I have found Orion motors to over quote for Riding Jackets, however I haven't been to Helmet paradise, have developed an aversion for JC road (duplicates and random pricing). Anyways, both my ideas are nothing but prejudices. I will check them out this weekend.

I had an good opportunity of a good friend travelling to Paris/Amsterdam, but, I found the EUR prices to be at par with our taxed prices. Will wait for someone to go to US for the Arai.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:24   #864
BHPian

Hello firends, I am using a Vega helmet for some years now. Its the Red Marlboro-Ferrari-Michael Schumacher combination in matt finish. It needs replacement of visor which I think is available easily. However there is also problem with the buckle that you put around your chin/neck area. Is there a way this can be replaced? Any place in Pune? Rest of the helmet is perfect and I don't want to discard it yet just because the buckle is not working.
Old 14th November 2012, 16:03   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
Heyy Shubz,

Thanks for your info, I have found Orion motors to over quote for Riding Jackets, however I haven't been to Helmet paradise, have developed an aversion for JC road (duplicates and random pricing). Anyways, both my ideas are nothing but prejudices. I will check them out this weekend.

I had an good opportunity of a good friend travelling to Paris/Amsterdam, but, I found the EUR prices to be at par with our taxed prices. Will wait for someone to go to US for the Arai.
Surajit bro,

Orion motors I know may be over-quoting/over-charging on the Imported helmets. They don't over-quote/charge on jackets though as they are either getting it from PRS or Bachoo motors (i don't know if they are getting it from anywhere else as well.)

JC road is known for duplicates/random pricing and it is no prejudice. But if they know that they are talking to someone who knows his/her stuff, then you can stand firm on the pricing.

Helmet Paradise - Talk to Ramesh (the owner) and you could use my name (reference being the SparX helmet that I got off him)

Then there is Megha Helmets - opposite MTR hotel. n_aditya knows the owner Mr. Goyal there. You can use his reference too.
Old 16th November 2012, 10:50   #866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Hello firends, I am using a Vega helmet for some years now. Its the Red Marlboro-Ferrari-Michael Schumacher combination in matt finish. It needs replacement of visor which I think is available easily. However there is also problem with the buckle that you put around your chin/neck area. Is there a way this can be replaced? Any place in Pune? Rest of the helmet is perfect and I don't want to discard it yet just because the buckle is not working.
So I got the answer to my question after doing some research. There is a Vega Probiker showroom at MG Road Camp, Pune. They can replace the entire strap along with new buckle for around 150 Rs. (70 Rs. for the strap and 80 Rs for labor. If one has purchased the Helmet from this shop labor charge is not applicable). Also got Fox Knee and Elbow gaurd for 750Rs from him. Not sure if these are genuine. There were also AXO gaurds for 1250 Rs. however the elbow gaurd was fitting very loose hence didn't opt for AXO.
the VTEC guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 14:40   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Also got Fox Knee and Elbow gaurd for 750Rs from him. Not sure if these are genuine.
Definitely fake / cheap replica's sold under this brand name.
Old 16th November 2012, 15:33   #868
Senior - BHPian

The moment we notice Fox products priced in the 600/800 range, it is safe to assume that they are not genuine. Fakes are doing the market extensively. One has to be careful when picking up stuff from the stores. Even they could be stocking replicas/fakes and we gullible buyers end up paying big money (and pay the price too) for safety.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:41   #869
BHPian

Guys I see a lot of people opting for LS2, SOL, Daijya and other international brands for helmets. I guess none of these have ISI mark. Though they may be ECE or DOT certified. How do cops treat these? Many may see no ISI mark and say these are cheap roadside helmets?
I am buying looking for new helmet now. preferences-
Indian made - Vega - available at Vega Probiker, Pune
Imported - LS2 - available at Vega Probiker, Pune
Daijya, Nolan, etc - available at Planet DSG showroom, Pune
Any idea where SOL helmets will be available in Pune?

Also which of these standards are safer ECE, DOT, ISI, Snell, etc Is there a ranking. What would be best safety within a budget of 5k INR?

Last edited by the VTEC guy : 19th November 2012 at 11:46.
Old 21st November 2012, 19:23   #870

Hi All,

Some fabulous helmets in this thread.

I am looking for a half face/open face helmet.

My need is I dont want much or No graphics, preferrably mat finish and the Visor to be inside slide rather than outside.

Seen few models of Nexx and Airoh with such features however they are bit on higher range. Thought would pick your brains i you aware of any other brand/options.

Thanks.

Anant

Most Viewed