Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2013, 06:06   #946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
The logical decision seems to be to pick up an ARAI or Shoei at a close out price online. But is this option worth it? Are these helmets that much better than say Sparx? My budget is flexible, I do not wish to buy cheapest/most expensive but rather safest and something worth the price. I am open to all suggestions. Do not know too much about this so would be very grateful for any inputs.

Thanks!
Well I have an Arai Corsair V and it is hands down the best helmet I've had. You can definitely feel the difference when you wear one, the level of comfort is far more than any other helmet.

That said, I wouldn't buy an expensive helmet without trying it. The first time I set off to buy a Shoei X11, I ended up buying the Suomy Extreme because I wasn't happy with the fit. Second time wanted to buy the Shoei X12, bought the Corsair V instead.
Old 10th June 2013, 11:36   #947
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
If you can pick up an ARAI, Shoei or even SHARK, I don't see why you have to consider the others. They are the best. Most helmets consider the minimum safety criteria (not considering el cheapos here) but the mentioned brands have extremely well designed products from safety and comfort perspective.

Do post pics whenever you get it with your Duke :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post

That said, I wouldn't buy an expensive helmet without trying it. The first time I set off to buy a Shoei X11, I ended up buying the Suomy Extreme because I wasn't happy with the fit. Second time wanted to buy the Shoei X12, bought the Corsair V instead.
I shall certainly post a slew of photos, hopefully sooner rather than later! Do you guys have any suggestions where I can try on these helmets in Bangalore? A friend of mine is coming down from the States next month and she may be able to carry one back for me. I want to check my sizing and do a price comparison before I try to inconvenience her with such a bulky package! If the price difference is only 2-3K then it makes sense to buy locally.

Thanks

imp
Old 13th June 2013, 10:22   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Do you guys have any suggestions where I can try on these helmets in Bangalore?
imp
Hi Buddy,

In Bangalore I think X-Torque in Kasturi Nagar and Orion Motors in Koramangala stocks these exotics.

Most of them source either from Performance racing or Bachoo motors both located in Mumbai.
Old 17th June 2013, 02:51   #949
BHPian

Guys, I just bought a LS2 from a shop called Thirumala Pitstop from Bangalore. The guy was prompt and very friendly over phone and via Whatsapp. You can search in facebook for the shop.

But, one issue. I got the helmet. But, it has chineese+english printed on the visor sticker and further, it doesn't have any certification on it. No DOT/ECE. One of my friends said it may be a fake one. The seller though agreed for a replacement, still says its an original one and it doesn't have certification because its bought directly and then imported from China. Can someone help me out of this ?

When i searched further in ebay.in, it seems most LS2s in ebay has the same Chinese sticker on visor.

The one i bought is same as this one :( even the pictures in this site doesnt have any certification)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...639836539.html
Old 17th June 2013, 13:52   #950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
Guys, I just bought a LS2 from a shop called Thirumala Pitstop from Bangalore. The guy was prompt and very friendly over phone and via Whatsapp. You can search in facebook for the shop.

But, one issue. I got the helmet. But, it has chineese+english printed on the visor sticker and further, it doesn't have any certification on it. No DOT/ECE. One of my friends said it may be a fake one. The seller though agreed for a replacement, still says its an original one and it doesn't have certification because its bought directly and then imported from China. Can someone help me out of this ?

When i searched further in ebay.in, it seems most LS2s in ebay has the same Chinese sticker on visor.

The one i bought is same as this one :( even the pictures in this site doesnt have any certification)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...639836539.html
While I would like to reserve my comments on LS2, Tirumala Pitstop guy has a range of SparX helmets too. And some even have discounts on them. You should have checked them out too.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:10   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

While I would like to reserve my comments on LS2, Tirumala Pitstop guy has a range of SparX helmets too. And some even have discounts on them. You should have checked them out too.

Ofcourse i did. Problem was, many were out of stock. The ones in stock were not to my liking. So, i thought of taking an Ls2 now and upgrading to a Sparx one after 6-8months. Feeling it was a bad idea ,now . Any idea on if the Ls2 one is a legit one ? Thing is, almost all Ls2s at Thurimala are of the same type and he claims he sells such ones at 10-20 everyday.
Old 17th June 2013, 17:55   #952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_rpmlover View Post
One of my friends said it may be a fake one. The seller though agreed for a replacement, still says its an original one and it doesn't have certification because its bought directly and then imported from China. Can someone help me out of this ?
As Shubz has said, no one knows where LS2 helmets are manufactured. If I were you, i would invest in a reputed brand that has been reviewed extensively and passed DOT or SNELL or similar certifications.

You can get SOL helmets for around 5k which are DOT certified. If you can't lay your hands on an Arai or an AGV or a Shoei, go for the SOL helmets.

Avoid the LS2 helmets unless it is for a "around the block grocery shopping" ride.
Old 23rd June 2013, 14:18   #953
BHPian

LS2 History - They are "Made in China", since the beginning.
http://ls2helmets.us/_live/about-us#history

1991 - LS2 Helmets began its history when Arthur Liao founded Xiqing Plastics for just $500 in Shunde Guandong, China. Xiqing Plastics began making and selling helmets throughout the domestic Chinese market, insuring customer satisfaction and creating products for the Chinese community.

1998 - Xiqing Plastics established MHR Helmet Co. Ltd. with the primary purpose of producing and exporting name brand motorcycle helmets across the world.

2005 - As the business continued to grow, Arthur Liao and his brother Paul made a multi-million dollar investment to establish JIANGMEN PENGCHENG HELMETS, LTD. (JPH) and began manufacturing helmets in a 330,000 sq. ft factory with over 1,000 employees producing more than 2 million helmets a year, thus making JPH one of the largest producers of motorcycle helmets in the world.

2006 - LS2® & Nuvo® helmet brands were registered and began to be sold and distributed inside and outside of China.

2007 - JPH went to Barcelona Spain and created the TECH DESIGN TEAM to distribute LS2 helmets in Europe. As of December of 2009, 400,000 LS2 helmets have been sold throughout Europe.

2008 - JPH became the only helmet manufacturer in China fully approved by the United Kingdom Accreditation Service and received full ISO9000* accreditation.

* ISO Accreditation indicates that the company has been externally assessed and found to have a consistency of approach in developing, implementing and improving the effectiveness of a quality management system that enhances customer satisfaction by meeting customer requirements. This is an International Standard and ADK is one of only a handful of environmental consultancies in the UK that has triple accreditation encompassing Quality, Heath & Safety and Environmental Management Systems.

2009 - JPH sold over two million helmets worldwide and reached a sales record of over $29 million in helmet sales.

2010 - JPH reached a franchise agreement with Allwin Powersports Corp to distribute LS2 helmets in North America.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:50   #954

Racing Helmets in Delhi

Hi,

I am looking to buy my own racing helmets for an upcoming BIC event. Any one know any good vendors selling quality racing helmets ?

The requirement as per BIC T&C is that of a crash helmet. Can anyone shed any light on that as well as to what do they mean by a "crash helmet" ?
Old 5th July 2013, 10:51   #955
BHPian

Is Sparx no longer offering a bonus dark faces shield? I picked up one yesterday and the proprietor of the store said that this wasn't offered for the full face helmets.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:36   #956
Senior - BHPian

Re: Racing Helmets in Delhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSfan#1 View Post
Hi,

I am looking to buy my own racing helmets for an upcoming BIC event. Any one know any good vendors selling quality racing helmets ?

The requirement as per BIC T&C is that of a crash helmet. Can anyone shed any light on that as well as to what do they mean by a "crash helmet" ?
What is meant by "crash helmet" is that the helmet should be capable of protecting the head in the event of a crash

The following (from wiki) will clear this a bit more

"Ceremonial or symbolic helmets (e.g., UK policeman's helmet) without protective function are sometimes used.

In civilian life, helmets are used for recreational activities and sports (e.g., jockeys in horse racing, American football, ice hockey, cricket, baseball, and rock climbing); dangerous work activities (e.g., construction, mining, riot police); and transportation (e.g., Motorcycle helmets and bicycle helmets).

A motorcycle helmet is a type of helmet (protective headgear) used by motorcycle riders. The primary goal of a motorcycle helmet is motorcycle safety - to protect the rider's head during impact, thus preventing or reducing head injury or saving the rider's life"

So what BIC or any Motorsport organization would want to see is a helmet meant for and certified for use with a Motor vehicle. The most common certification is from DOT.

Is this for a car event or bike event ? Make sure you get an appropriate racing helmet (helmet certified for race use) like Arai Racing, Nolan Racing etc

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 5th July 2013 at 12:38.
Old 5th July 2013, 17:24   #957
MHG
BHPian

Guys, I'm looking for a helmet with a visor that has some sort of anti-glare treatment on it. Is such a visor available ? My el-cheapo Wrangler helmet's visor when lowered scatters light all over the place and makes it hard to see, especially when dealing with morning sun and the moronic high-beams at night

My prescription eye glasses are of anti-glare type so I end up having to raise the visor to be able to see but I don't like to ride with a raised visor (I absolutely HATE feeling the dust, dirt, smoke and cold winds on my face during a ride).

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am not even aware as to what price zones to look at for such a helmet so suggesting the cheapest options (which are sufficiently reliable, safe and comfortable) will be nice. I hope to pick it up from a physical store in Bangalore.
Old 5th July 2013, 19:49   #958
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Guys, I'm looking for a helmet with a visor that has some sort of anti-glare treatment on it. Is such a visor available ? My el-cheapo Wrangler helmet's visor when lowered scatters light all over the place and makes it hard to see, especially when dealing with morning sun and the moronic high-beams at night

My prescription eye glasses are of anti-glare type so I end up having to raise the visor to be able to see but I don't like to ride with a raised visor (I absolutely HATE feeling the dust, dirt, smoke and cold winds on my face during a ride).

Any suggestions would be welcome. I am not even aware as to what price zones to look at for such a helmet so suggesting the cheapest options (which are sufficiently reliable, safe and comfortable) will be nice. I hope to pick it up from a physical store in Bangalore.
No visor Will have anti glare treatment. You get tinted glasses but they are useless at night. Try to maintain the visor scratch free by using a glass cleaner liquid and a microfiber cloth. Keeping your visor scratch free is the only way you can prevent glare.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:18   #959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
As Shubz has said, no one knows where LS2 helmets are manufactured. If I were you, i would invest in a reputed brand that has been reviewed extensively and passed DOT or SNELL or similar certifications.

You can get SOL helmets for around 5k which are DOT certified. If you can't lay your hands on an Arai or an AGV or a Shoei, go for the SOL helmets.

Avoid the LS2 helmets unless it is for a "around the block grocery shopping" ride.
for info about ls2 in India and its models here`s a link i have found on facebook which comes handy when i shop for LS2 products in India.

https://www.facebook.com/Ls2HelmetsIndia/info
Old 7th July 2013, 21:38   #960
BHPian

Guys I have a couple of queries for my next helmet. I own a GPR bought back in 2006. I haven't had any impact/falls but I think it's time to change it.

1. By nature I sweat a lot on my scalp. So I always feel I need a lighter helmet with many air vents. What else can I look for in a helmet to keep my head cool?

2. I see many guys going for plain visors so that they can use them at night. Due to this they ride with shades during the (hot) day.
I feel even the plain visors can't be used at night once they are old as invariably they get scratched, whatever the manufacturers claim. What do you guys have to say?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks