Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2013, 10:37   #1081
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Hi Guys,

Someone is coming down from the states and is going to hand carry a helmet for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? Should it be bubble wrapped and checked in or should it be hand carried? I'm actually thinking of getting two helmets. One for me and one for the occasional pillion. So if there are any other solutions for that please let me know! I'm also getting a protective jacket so anything that would allow a speedy and easy airport exit would be a bonus.

Thanks

Imp!
Old 20th November 2013, 20:38   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Hi Guys,

Someone is coming down from the states and is going to hand carry a helmet for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? Should it be bubble wrapped and checked in or should it be hand carried? I'm actually thinking of getting two helmets. One for me and one for the occasional pillion. So if there are any other solutions for that please let me know! I'm also getting a protective jacket so anything that would allow a speedy and easy airport exit would be a bonus.

Thanks

Imp!
Though I've known most of my friends imported, they always bring the way they are supposed to, the way they are packed from their side. The only advantage is unboxing the helmet is easier for the person who is carrying because it saves space and they can add more luggage as you know there is a space restriction and particular amount of load a person is allowed to carry.

If the person is bringing a helmet, riding gears etc, the helmet can be safely kept in the bag that it comes along or added bubble wrap just in case, and that is more than suffice to take care of the helmet. But two helmets with boxes would occupy a lot of space, so cramping them in a bag with bubblewrap is a nice proposition, just in case.

As with jackets, default, most jackets do come with a cover and there won't be any problems with jackets as such. In the case if you're importing them directly from US of A or elsewhere, then they ship with the box which is standard. It all depends on how big a duffle bag your friend has.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 20th November 2013, 23:10   #1083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? Should it be bubble wrapped and checked in or should it be hand carried?
If space is not at a premium; please let the helmets be in their original packaging. The face shield is the one thats at most risk of getting damaged (read :scratched). Replacements in India are (a) Not easily available & (b) If available; not cheap. And do not fall for that "scratch free" shield advert

Scratch free shields are a myth; right up there with big foot & "work" from home.

PS - Which helmets? Cost? Supplier?
Old 20th November 2013, 23:39   #1084
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Thanks

Imp!
Use bubble wrap and you can get some nice helmet bags for $under $15 with good lining that will protect your helmet and the bag can be used for storage too.

something like these
Link1
Link2

May be you should tell him to remove the visor and keep it in the cabin baggage.
Old 21st November 2013, 10:42   #1085
BHPian

Where can I buy an imported helmet in Bangalore?
Old 21st November 2013, 11:28   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Looking to buy a cheap helmet to replace my existing Suomy Spec 1R Extreme as a daily helmet. Below are my choices, suggestions please!

AGV K2 Orient - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...K2-Orient-0007

KBC VR-1X Lightening - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...ightening-0002

HJC FS-10 - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...HJC-FS-10-0001

Or, I can save up a bit more and get one of these:

AGV Grid Stigma - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...id-Stigma-0001

Schuberth R1 (getting really tempted by this) - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...1-schwarz-0008

Arai Chaser Guardian (Already have a Corsair V) - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...4311-3105180-5

SUOMY SPEC1 R Biaggi (Have the same lid in different graphics) - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...4311-2157477-6

HJC R-PHA 10 Atlan - http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/...-10-Atlan-0006

I have 10 days to decide and order! Thanks in Advance! Other suggestions also welcome!

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 21st November 2013 at 11:33.
Old 21st November 2013, 14:09   #1087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
Any link where I can buy this stuff online?
I got it with the helmet. Isn't it supposed to be included?
Old 21st November 2013, 14:10   #1088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
I paid 3k less I guess, so...
Old 21st November 2013, 14:20   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
I paid 3k less I guess, so...
Ah fair enough. For a moment I thought you picked up the HJC. The pinlock visor from HJC will fit perfectly AFAIK.
Old 21st November 2013, 14:27   #1090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah fair enough. For a moment I thought you picked up the HJC. The pinlock visor from HJC will fit perfectly AFAIK.
The next time I see that pinlock visor on your helmet, you will not see it again
Why haven't you uploaded pictures of your HJC here?
Old 21st November 2013, 20:14   #1091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Pinlock system in my Airoh was included with the helmet. And just after installing I left a bloody air bubble, very slight air bubble in the peripheral area of the visor and now it doesn't fog anywhere except right in front of the visor where I see.

So make sure when one sticks the pinlock to the visor, it's tight, and no air bubbles are in between. And, again, pinlocks can't be installed in every visor out there. If you have a black or white notch in the visor, then that's a sign of a pinlock system.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 21st November 2013, 21:53   #1092
BHPian

Hello folks,

I see a lot of HJCs around here - a really good sign

I picked this helmet thru Revzilla. They delivered it sharp, well packaged to my hotel in Atlanta. The size is M -my head is 22.5 inches circumference and it fits tight around the cheek which means the fit will improve as i wear it. This is a pin lock ready shield and i made sure i picked the pin lock shield as well.

The helmet is well built and all the vents open/close with a very solid feel unlike other helmets i have used (indian/chinese).

The helmet costs 135$ and the pinlock shield 30$.

I use an LS2 right now, and when will I use this one? When the RC390 hits our shores.

Thanks to you folks here who educated me on DOT, SNELL and all.

A special shout out to user "kraft.wagen" who showed me other online helmet stores and was also willing to purchase it for me on his american card and get it shipped to my hotel. That is what T-Bhp is all about i guess. thanks mate!!
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205309.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205323.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205331.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205434.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205520.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205608.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131121_205340.jpg  

sai_ace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 22:12   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
when will I use this one? When the RC390 hits our shores.
The time to use this helmet is NOW I use an Arai and Suomy with a karizma, a piddly bike should never be an excuse for not using a good helmet if you already have it
SunnyBoi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st November 2013, 23:27   #1094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

I picked this helmet thru Revzilla. They delivered it sharp, well packaged to my hotel in Atlanta. The size is M -my head is 22.5 inches circumference and it fits tight around the cheek which means the fit will improve as i wear it. This is a pin lock ready shield and i made sure i picked the pin lock shield as well.

The helmet is well built and all the vents open/close with a very solid feel unlike other helmets i have used (indian/chinese))
Excellent, do post your ride reviews without fail. But did you consider AIROH, did you consider, KBC, did you consider AGV. All these are available in India... And personally, you could have chosen a bit more appealing livery, this looks a little old school. But for now, enjoy imported HJC.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 21st November 2013 at 23:29.
Old 22nd November 2013, 00:56   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Hello folks,

A special shout out to user "kraft.wagen" who showed me other online helmet stores and was also willing to purchase it for me on his american card and get it shipped to my hotel. That is what T-Bhp is all about i guess. thanks mate!!
Awesome sai. Yea Revzilla is pretty good with their shipping and are fast.
Are you back in India already? How do/did you take the helmet back with you? It will really help a bunch of folks asking on transporting helmets

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks