Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 17:57   #1171
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

@Slowrider.

Helmet size is something that should feel just tight when you wear it first time. It will breath and will go 5-8% upsize after few days.

Measure your head, find the shape and there are plenty of helmet that fits your needs.

For the budget there are SOL and LS2 that you can look at and LS2 to me are slightly oversized meaning a XL in most of the brand will be a L.

I have a LS 2 and a Schuberth. Post using schuberth i realize how big a helmet the LS2 is and how insanely i had chosen that size 6 years back.

If you come to chennai often try the spartan gear and try out different helmets. YOu can also check out the Pioneer shop near 1000 lights where they have good LS 2 collections.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 19:36   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice here. I'm planning to upgrade my helmet here after going through this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...safe-they.html

What I have is a Studds make half-face type and I gather that neither the brand nor the helmet-type gets much respect around here. I prefer FFH and have always used that type before. I ended up with a half-face helmet due to a wretched coincidence. Consider me very much uninformed on the safety aspects w.r.t. the brands out there.

I'm prepared to spend between 1500 and 4500. I must add the major difficulties I face when I go helmet shopping:
1. My head is largish and I seldom get a choice with the typical Indian brands when I walk into a shop.
2. I can make a purchase from Trivandrum or Kochi and I am not aware of any places there selling brands other than Studds/Steelbird/Vega etc.

Any inputs fellow bhp-ians? Thanks.
Would suggest you look at the Studds Scorpion D3 helmets. Really good VFM lid at around Rs.2000. I don't particularly trust LS2 helmets. If you can stretch your budget a tad bit, you can check out the SOL range as well.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 11:30   #1173
BHPian

Does someone know a place that offers a selection of the above brands (LS2, SOL etc.) in Kerala? I could be wrong, but I don't think the safety gear market over here has evolved to the point where there is a demand for these brands.
Old 17th January 2014, 11:48   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does someone know a place that offers a selection of the above brands (LS2, SOL etc.) in Kerala? I could be wrong, but I don't think the safety gear market over here has evolved to the point where there is a demand for these brands.
Try AutoQueen in Cochin.

SOL distributor in Kochi, KL:

DJ HELMETS Penta Corner,
Opp.Govt High School,
Edapally,
Kochi - 682 024.

Tel: +91 0484 - 2334967 Mob: +91 9846011011 Email:
djhelmets@gmail.com Contact: Mr. Deepak Johny

The above details are from the Spartan ProGear website.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 11:59   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Would suggest you look at the Studds Scorpion D3 helmets. Really good VFM lid at around Rs.2000. I don't particularly trust LS2 helmets. If you can stretch your budget a tad bit, you can check out the SOL range as well.
Went through the thread a bit more. I think I must check out Vega Axtor range. They claim to "exceed" DOT standard. Studds Scorpion looks smashing but I didn't find anything on the product page about them being safer than the other Studds models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Try AutoQueen in Cochin.
Wow! That was quick. Thanks! I guess I was too quick to judge the safety scene in Cochin. Will give that place a try.
Old 20th January 2014, 21:14   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Helmet for the wife

Looking to buy a helmet for the missus. Checked out "Nuvo" (full face) & "THH" (open face) helmets at "Chopra Auto" - Karol Bagh (Delhi).

I loved the Nuvo (Rs 4000). Its full face, very light (compared to my Gmax 68S) but rigid at the same time (does not flex much). The liner feels so soft and comfortable; very premium.

THH on the other hand was not much to my liking. Unfortunately; wife liked it better than the Nuvo. In fact she barely wore the Nuvo and went into a tizzy saying "I cant breathe I cant breathe". Showed her the "open face vs. full face helmets" thread; assured her that I never heard of anyone dying due to asphyxiation from helmet etc but it did not help much. THH costs Rs 2500.

Thankfully; my beautiful daughter who was with us threw a tantrum and we had to hastily exit the store; promising Chopra Jr. we will be back next week to look at helmets properly sans the kiddo.

I am trying hard to pursuade her to go with the full face Nuvo. I can totally understand what she is going through. The 1st time I wore my sie "M" Gmax (my 1st ever full face helmet) I was like "HOLYYY HELLLLL". Took it for a spin on the bike just one time and could not remember what the fuss was all about. I cannot imagine riding without it now; even on the shortest of rides on the hottest of days. Hope the Mrs can be patient enough for that one day to realize the benefits of a full face helmet.

Apologies for the long rant - Help needed!

I have spent some time researching these two brands (Nuvo & THH / TIH i.e.) but have only seen a handful of reviews (though all are very positive). Both helmets are DOT certified & have very comfy liners. Wife is leaning towards the THH as it is open face and comes in some "funky" colours as well (Womennnnnnn!!!!!).

Does anyone have experience using either of these brands' helmets? Any pointers / reviews? Anything I should be careful of (like fakes) before settling for one? Any other brand recommended? Just FYI; we will also be checking out the modular helmets from LS2.

Budget - anything within 8K should be absolutely fine (Mrs is not comfortable spending "too much". I have been able to thankfully pull her away from the Studds and likes). In case there is something available which is considerably better; am happy to strech the budget further (10K ish; + - a bit).

Thanks peeps!
Old 21st January 2014, 12:24   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Just wanted to give a brief review on HJC CS 14. I used it for my IHR ride to Goa

Pros: Neat build, good quality of padding. functional vents. Nice clear visor with good visibility. easy to maintain.

Cons: Horrible wind noise. does not have contours for speakers if you are installing a BT device. Even after cutting the sponge that connects the cheek pads to the upper cushion, I experienced terrible inconvenience on my ears/temples (as I was adjusting the speaker position often to get the best position) - when in its best position - you cannot hear!

No provision to insert sunglasses or spectacles.

Visor fit imperfect leading to terrible noise. when i wiped the visor clean of bugs - some light deviates and gives a rainbow kind of spectrum.

Personal verdict: I regret going for this one!

Sizing: I was using SparX size M for my Duke. But it got loose with usage. So the actual sizing for my head is "supposed" to be "S"

"S" - was too tight with HJC. A bit better without the BT inserts.

Tried the KBC at the Harley showroom. "S" was choking. "M" had a tight/snug fit.

So totally confused about what my size is.

And would appreciate if anyone could recommend a brand that counters noise/has provision for a BT insert/ has provision for sunglasses.

Thanks & Cheers
Shubz
Old 21st January 2014, 14:57   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Bought a new THH (TIH) Helmet (Taiwan) from IBW 2014. I find it a great buy as it was been given at nearly 50% of it's price due to to direct company promotion. Got it for just 2200 bucks. It's genuine DOT certified.

It has -
1. Double visors
2. Air vents
3. Reflector strips
4. All internal padding removable and washable

The cover
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_1.jpg

The helmet
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_2.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_3.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_4.jpg

The internals
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_5.jpg

The reflector strip in action
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_6.jpg

Now Harley'ed it
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_7.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-thh-hemet_8.jpg

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 14:59   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Looking to buy a helmet for the missus.
I'd always suggest going for the full-face ones, because even if you take the modular one, you tend to keep it open and ride open-face.

At your budget, you have options like Sparx/KBC, SOL, HJC (CL16). I'd suggest either the SOL 68S II (design and weight similar to your Gmax) or the HJC CL16. Have used both of them and have only positive reviews to give. If you're particular about a lightweight helmet, get one of the Carbon Fiber ones from a decent brand. Should cost you about 10-12k but unfortunately I've no experience with them. Happy lid hunting!
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2014, 00:47   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I'd always suggest going for the full-face ones, .....

Happy lid hunting!
Thanks for your comments bud. If you re-read my post; I am trying to move mountains (it feels like that) to get my wife to opt for a full face lid.

But if it comes down to it and I have to go the open face or modular way; I want to understand what my options are within the specified budget.

Thus far we have looked at Nuvo and THH. Have not heard much about these brands but they "look" and feel premium enough. Few reviews online but whatever exist are positive. Wanted to be aware of any known issues before making a purchase (like the Daijya helmets fiasco).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Bought a new THH (TIH) Helmet (Taiwan) from IBW 2014.
Excellent! Am looking at buying one for the wife. Would you mind posting some additional info

* How much does it weigh
* Does it "feel" protective
* Buffeting at speed?
* How is the fit? Could you tell me the circumference of your head and the helmet size you opted for?
* Do you find any distortion through the shield or is it optically perfect?

Thank you!
Old 24th January 2014, 12:07   #1181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! That was quick. Thanks! I guess I was too quick to judge the safety scene in Cochin. Will give that place a try.
AutoQueen is the place to go to check for a wider variety of helmets that fit your budget. Like Motormania suggested, if you can stretch your budget a bit it would be great. Its at Kaloor junction itself on the ground floor of Chammany Tower. You will be surprised by the gear stocked there given that it is Cochin SOL gear is available at DJ Helmets.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 16:02   #1182
BHPian

Guys , need some suggestion for helmet as well as online retailer to purchase it from(I try to avoid ebay if possible). I stay in bareilly and there are no local retailers here for good helmet so only suggest those which are available online . My budget is between 1-5k depending on if the equipment is worth the price or not .
My needs-
1. I ride an enfield so a helmet which is suited for curiser style , the stereotypical helmets in that category are open face but I will prefer a full face if possible.

2. No stickers/graphics/artwork on the helmet .

3. Colour preferably white or blue for better visibility during night .

4. I'm not shy of paying good price for a helmet if it is worth it so if something terrific exists for say 6k or 7k , please suggest it .

All of this is probably asking too much so I will be more than happy if someone can list me a bunch on websites that sell helmets within india . Currently I use a STUDDS branded open face helmet .
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 23:14   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Guys , need some suggestion for helmet as well as online retailer to purchase it from(I try to avoid ebay if possible). I stay in bareilly and there are no local retailers here for good helmet so only suggest those which are available online . My budget is between 1-5k depending on if the equipment is worth the price or not .
My needs-
1. I ride an enfield so a helmet which is suited for curiser style , the stereotypical helmets in that category are open face but I will prefer a full face if possible.

2. No stickers/graphics/artwork on the helmet .

3. Colour preferably white or blue for better visibility during night .

4. I'm not shy of paying good price for a helmet if it is worth it so if something terrific exists for say 6k or 7k , please suggest it .

All of this is probably asking too much so I will be more than happy if someone can list me a bunch on websites that sell helmets within india . Currently I use a STUDDS branded open face helmet .
This would be good:

http://www.acebiker.com/helmets/modu...-flipup-helmet

Sent you a message too.
mrohit17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 00:01   #1184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Try AutoQueen in Cochin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
AutoQueen is the place to go to check for a wider variety of helmets that fit your budget.
A word of thanks to you guys. I got myself a matte black THH from Auto Queen today. Sounded like a reasonable deal at 2300. My only concern is whether it's a genuine one. The leaflet that came with the helmet doesn't mention any name. And wherever they've got any names on the helmet, it's a sticker job. I've got no doubts about the build quality. It was at par or better than the LS2 I checked. It's quite heavy compared to my previous Studds.
Old 26th January 2014, 15:01   #1185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Am looking at buying one for the wife. Would you mind posting some additional info

* How much does it weigh
* Does it "feel" protective
* Buffeting at speed?
* How is the fit? Could you tell me the circumference of your head and the helmet size you opted for?
* Do you find any distortion through the shield or is it optically perfect?
Excellent helmet. Much better than the Studds I was using. For your wife TSS has a beautiful Matt Red half face, if you can get hold of it.

# weight is quite reasonable but slightly heavier than the Studds
# Feels solid and protective. Genuine DOT certified.
# Great aerodynamics at speed. Tested today till 140.
# I am a L size but this was a free size helmet with adjustable sides to fit your head size.
# Zero distortion through both visors. They are supposedly also UV protected.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks