Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2014, 17:44   #1231

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie, both, to Team BHP as well as to the biking world. I just bought a RE Classic 500 and am looking for a good helmet to go with it.

My search ran into trouble when I realized that finding a good helmet is a daunting task, with all the choices available, add to it doubt whether what I am seeing is authentic or a cheap rip off being sold at an exorbitant price.

I decided to turn to Team BHP, for I knew that there would would be experts out here who have been there and done that. I was not disappointed. However, I am still confused on which one to buy and where to get it from? I am from Hyderabad.

The brands I came across in the various posts in this thread are:
Studds, LS2, Nexx, Nuvo.

I loved the look of LS2 open face helmets, especially, OF561.1 Wave Matt Black. Can any of you please help me by telling me where I can find these helmets in Hyderabad or in India for that matter? Its not a problem if its online as long as its Authentic. Also, are these helmets available in XL or XXL sizes?
Old 31st March 2014, 18:17   #1232
BHPian

Check out....

www.acebiker.in

They are official online resellers for LS2 in India.
mrohit17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 18:24   #1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Check out....

www.acebiker.in

They are official online resellers for LS2 in India.
Thanks a lot Mohit. I did check their website and found that most of the helmets are of size L (no XL or XXL). My head is a bit bigger than the average person and its the main reason why I need a bigger helmet.

Any other options? I can go for other Open Face helmets as well.
Old 31st March 2014, 19:03   #1234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csubhojit View Post
Thanks a lot Mohit. I did check their website and found that most of the helmets are of size L (no XL or XXL). My head is a bit bigger than the average person and its the main reason why I need a bigger helmet.

Any other options? I can go for other Open Face helmets as well.
If you are open to suggestions, I would strongly recommend opting for a certified full face helmet only. Open face helmets, though look good, serve very little purpose. I am sure we all love our jaw and nose as much as our head.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 19:17   #1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
If you are open to suggestions, I would strongly recommend opting for a certified full face helmet only. Open face helmets, though look good, serve very little purpose. I am sure we all love our jaw and nose as much as our head.
Hi,

This is the exact reason why I tried and finally became a member of Team BHP. I look towards suggestions from you and all the knowledgeable people out here Motormania

I am open to suggestions ofcourse but the reason I wanted a Open Face helmet is that my head is slightly bigger than most people (measuring at 60 cm) and most helmets I see come in the standard size of 57-59cms.

If you can please provide some suggestions then it would indeed be great!

Regards,
Subhojit
Old 31st March 2014, 19:49   #1236

Quote:
Hi Motormania,

I am not sure why my previous reply is not coming up, but I am definitely open to suggestions. The only reason why I was looking for an Open Face is because I have a slightly bigger head.

Measuring at 60cm, I often have problem with full face helmets which touch my chin and are too right around the temple/forehead area, giving me a headache.

Please do guide me with any other option that you might have.

Regards,
Subhojit
Old 31st March 2014, 20:00   #1237
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

This is the exact reason why I tried and finally became a member of Team BHP. I look towards suggestions from you and all the knowledgeable people out here Motormania

I am open to suggestions ofcourse but the reason I wanted a Open Face helmet is that my head is slightly bigger than most people (measuring at 60 cm) and most helmets I see come in the standard size of 57-59cms.

If you can please provide some suggestions then it would indeed be great!

Regards,
Subhojit

Hi Subhojit da,

60 cms should be a size L or XL I believe in most helmet brands. Depending upon your budget you may look at brands starting from Studds through SOL, HJC all the way up to Arai.

You do get Studds, LS2, MT, THH helmets in Hyderabad.
Motormania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 20:03   #1238

Quote:
Hi Subhojit da,

60 cms should be a size L or XL I believe in most helmet brands. Depending upon your budget you may look at brands starting from Studds through SOL, HJC all the way up to Arai.

You do get Studds, LS2, MT, THH helmets in Hyderabad.
Thanks Motormania Any online stores, urls that you can share will be highly appreciated. I found out that LS2 helmets are primarily 57-59 cms. acebikers told me so when I contacted them.

I just want to have a bike that goes with my new RE Classic 500 (Black).

Which bike do you have?

Regards,
Subhojit
Old 31st March 2014, 22:06   #1239
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Motormania Any online stores, urls that you can share will be highly appreciated. I found out that LS2 helmets are primarily 57-59 cms. acebikers told me so when I contacted them.

I just want to have a bike that goes with my new RE Classic 500 (Black).

Which bike do you have?

Regards,
Subhojit
You have stores in Ramkote dealing in Studds, LS2 etc. Your best bet is to try out the helmets available in the market, judge the fit and quality yourself. MT, LS2 helmets are available with Dynamic Ryderz, while THH is with OTR store.
Old 31st March 2014, 22:41   #1240

Quote:
You have stores in Ramkote dealing in Studds, LS2 etc. Your best bet is to try out the helmets available in the market, judge the fit and quality yourself. MT, LS2 helmets are available with Dynamic Ryderz, while THH is with OTR store.
Thanks. I will get it tomorrow.
Old 1st April 2014, 11:26   #1241
JVH
Senior - BHPian

After I crashed with my Shark helmet, I was using Scorpion EX-700 until it was dropped a few weeks ago. So I went to Biking spirit on Church street after reading good reviews here to check out some models. There was not much on display except a few HJC models and a couple of SOLs. A new lot was expected sometime in April and I was told I could place an order for HJC replicas (Ben Spies and Jorge Lorenzo) and wait for a month at least. Did not commit since I wanted to try the helmets first. Overall experience was just OK since the guys seemed to be pre-occupied with their own tasks. A few customers went away frustrated. One of their riding buddies entered and they all started fighting and running around like kids. If someone from Biking spirit is reading this post, you really need to take your customers seriously.

Disappointed I could not purchase a helmet for the weekend, I decided to try online and was about to order in the evening. Then I happened to go to Orion mall and saw the Dainese showroom. I never knew there is one in the mall. Someone mentioned that the Tusker Harley guys have opened it and so I was expecting it somewhere near Lavelle road. Anyway, they have a good collection in stock including helmets. They only have AGVs and so I tried quite a lot of them and ended up buying this K3. Its slightly heavier than my earlier Shark but quite comfortable and most importantly its very quiet. I have had only 2 short rides so far to the airport and back and its been good going so far. Nice folks at Dainese and a good experience overall. Here are the pics of the www.

P.S - After previewing the pics, I just realized the helmet looks much better and striking in real.
Attached Images

JVH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 11:33   #1242

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
They only have AGVs and so I tried quite a lot of them and ended up buying this K3.
Hi,

Quick question. What is the size of the helmet (in cms)?

Regards,
Subhojit

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 1st April 2014 at 13:25.
Old 1st April 2014, 12:39   #1243

Does anyone know about On The Rocks Adventure store in Hyderabad? They seem to have a decent collection of DOT and SNELL approved helmets (THH and some others).

Here is a link I was going through. Please help me if possible by letting me know if these would be good.

http://www.adventureontherocks.in/ca...U00120830.aspx

Regards,
Subhojit
Old 1st April 2014, 13:31   #1244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone know about On The Rocks Adventure store in Hyderabad?
I interacted with them back in 2010 just before my Ninja was delivered but their prices were on the higher side. Apart from this aspect, I cannot comment on their products. Maybe the hyderabad members can add more info on your query.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 15:58   #1245
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Quick question. What is the size of the helmet (in cms)?

Regards,
Subhojit

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.
It is size S, 55-56 cm. But I found that all the sizes are available at the store. You just to need to try them on for a snug fit.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed