Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 17:46   #1246
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
It is size S, 55-56 cm. But I found that all the sizes are available at the store. You just to need to try them on for a snug fit.
JVH - I know Rishab personally. I will pass this message on to him. Off-late many have been complaining about the same. Casual attitude towards customers. Bunch of buddies hanging out there and having fun.

I am in the hunt for a helmet as I am terribly unhappy with the HJC I have been with for a few months now.

Could you please tell me how was Scorpion EXO? I am eying the 1100 series. Just wanted to know if Scorpions have communications cavity? Slot for sun-glasses? How quiet/noisy is it?
Old 1st April 2014, 17:47   #1247

Quote:
It is size S, 55-56 cm. But I found that all the sizes are available at the store. You just to need to try them on for a snug fit.
Thanks JVH. I just got this one from On The Rocks Adventure (Hyderabad). I wore it and it was really comfortable. Its a full face flip up model with air vents and dual visors for day/night driving. Its a bit heavy, but feels solid. Really excited. Read in a few posts here that THH is also a good brand. Wanted to go for LS2, but they only have sizes of 57-59 whereas my head requires 61-62cms.

http://www.thh-helmet.com/t797.html

Please let me know if you or anyone you know have used it.
Old 1st April 2014, 18:49   #1248
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
JVH - I know Rishab personally. I will pass this message on to him. Off-late many have been complaining about the same. Casual attitude towards customers. Bunch of buddies hanging out there and having fun.

I am in the hunt for a helmet as I am terribly unhappy with the HJC I have been with for a few months now.

Could you please tell me how was Scorpion EXO? I am eying the 1100 series. Just wanted to know if Scorpions have communications cavity? Slot for sun-glasses? How quiet/noisy is it?
Thanks Shubz.
I have an HJC too. A CS series and use it often when am on my Dio . Well I don't like this helmet at all. Its way too noisy and it never fit me properly even though it is of my size. Compared to an HJ CS series, Scorpion is a very good helmet. I bought my 700 for much less than the HJC but it was way better in all the departments. Its a little heavy but you soon get used to it if its your only helmet. I used to feel the difference quite often because I used to rotate between Shark (before crash) and the Scorpion. But on its own Scorpion is very good and quite under rated. The one I had did not have communications cavity and the slot for sun glasses. I really don't know if the 1100 series has it. You can check the review here. But its quite silent at high speeds and the air ventilation is quite good too.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=31728

Quote:
Originally Posted by csubhojit View Post
http://www.thh-helmet.com/t797.html

Please let me know if you or anyone you know have used it.
Sorry I have not used this helmet.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:15   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shubz.
I have an HJC too. A CS series and use it often when am on my Dio . Well I don't like this helmet at all. Its way too noisy and it never fit me properly even though it is of my size. Compared to an HJ CS series, Scorpion is a very good helmet. I bought my 700 for much less than the HJC but it was way better in all the departments. Its a little heavy but you soon get used to it if its your only helmet. I used to feel the difference quite often because I used to rotate between Shark (before crash) and the Scorpion. But on its own Scorpion is very good and quite under rated. The one I had did not have communications cavity and the slot for sun glasses. I really don't know if the 1100 series has it. You can check the review here. But its quite silent at high speeds and the air ventilation is quite good too.
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com...l.bok?no=31728
No communications cavity/slot of sun glasses - I will be entering the hell hole again then. Only Shoei confirms (got to check others too) about comm cavity and sun glass slot. I guess I will have to choose between the Qwest Overt, 1100 or the 1200 series.

JVH - I had a chat with Rishabh of Biking Spirit - and expectedly he was on the defensive. Nevertheless he has taken the feedback quite well.
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:04   #1250
Distinguished - BHPian

Request mods to update the title appropriately. Post no. 78, as stated in the title has no tips on buying a good helmet. Probably post numbers have changed due to deletion/addition of some posts/threads.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:23   #1251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Request mods to update the title appropriately. Post no. 78, as stated in the title has no tips on buying a good helmet. Probably post numbers have changed due to deletion/addition of some posts/threads.

Thanks,
Saket
The video links had changed. They've been updated now. Thanks for the heads up.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 21:40   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
They only have AGVs and so I tried quite a lot of them and ended up buying this K3. Its slightly heavier than my earlier Shark but quite comfortable and most importantly its very quiet. I have had only 2 short rides so far to the airport and back and its been good going so far. Nice folks at Dainese and a good experience overall. Here are the pics of the www.
Have seen this helmet in person,must say it looks too good

I always wanted to get the 5-continents replica in AGV K3(I totally love the rossi replicas from agv), finally managed to get one couple of months back.Used mostly for short rides(HJC RPHA10 for long ride).

I felt that AGV k3 is more aerodynamic when compared to my HJC,weight wise both feel more or less the same.

I would like to hear more about shark in comparison to the age as i am planning to pick up one sometime soon.

PS : does the AGV store in banglore stock visors??, i am planning to pick up a smoked/iridium finish one

Regards,
harsha
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:13   #1253
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Have seen this helmet in person,must say it looks too good

I always wanted to get the 5-continents replica in AGV K3(I totally love the rossi replicas from agv), finally managed to get one couple of months back.Used mostly for short rides(HJC RPHA10 for long ride).

I felt that AGV k3 is more aerodynamic when compared to my HJC,weight wise both feel more or less the same.

I would like to hear more about shark in comparison to the age as i am planning to pick up one sometime soon.

PS : does the AGV store in banglore stock visors??, i am planning to pick up a smoked/iridium finish one

Regards,
harsha
Yes indeed. Its more striking in reality than the pics. Comparatively Shark was a better helmet, at least the one I had - RSR2 which I think is discontinued now. It was light, superb ventilation and very silent.

No, the Dainese store doesn't stock visors, thats the first thing I asked. However, they take orders and typical lead time is 3-4 weeks for delivery.
Old 4th April 2014, 17:23   #1254
BHPian

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my helmet, can anyone tell me if any store in bangalore stores Arai helmets? I have seen them in performance racing Mumbai, but not in Bangalore. I am using a 3 year old HJC helmet, my budget is between 10 to 20k for helmet (Arai is higher), HJC, AGV or any other brand suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 12:34   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They only have AGVs and so I tried quite a lot of them and ended up buying this K3. Its slightly heavier than my earlier Shark but quite comfortable and most importantly its very quiet. I have had only 2 short rides so far to the airport and back and its been good going so far. Nice folks at Dainese and a good experience overall.
Thats a nice helmet. Are those real helmet pics that you bought or pics from the web? Can you post some pics of your real helmet?

Also, how is the noise cancellation at higher speeds? Any link to read up on its features?

Lastly how much it costed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csubhojit View Post
Does anyone know about On The Rocks Adventure store in Hyderabad? They seem to have a decent collection of DOT and SNELL approved helmets (THH and some others).
I bought a THH helmet from OTR less than a month back. I made a mistake of buying in a hurry as the helmet was too tight for me and wasnt comfortable riding with it so I sold it to a friend

Iam given to understand OTR charges very high and many a times above MRP also which is not liked by most customers but, he has a nice store and good collection of jackets and helmets. He has his own brand called Zeus and i like their jackets
Old 5th April 2014, 13:01   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried the MT range of helmets? Google tells me that it's been around for a while n is known for vfm helmets with no compromise on safety.

I find these to be a better deal than sol / gmax range. Whatever few reviews I've seen online suggest good fit n finish. Also, looks to be a more intermediate oval head shape as opposed to sol's round (I have pressure marks on my forehead even after a short half hr drive)

Any details around fit, finish, internal guts etc. would be helpful. Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 18:53   #1257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Anyone tried the MT range of helmets? Google tells me that it's been around for a while n is known for vfm helmets with no compromise on safety.

I find these to be a better deal than sol / gmax range.
I have tried out MT helmet and really liked it. Its supposed to be spanish brand ( not really sure if its correct) and found it to be better than LS2 for sure. Fit, finish and comfort was also suitable to my fairly large size head (XL)

It was priced at Rs.3800 which is bit lower than LS2 and there is only one dealer in Hyderabad for MT
Old 6th April 2014, 12:51   #1258

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I bought a THH helmet from OTR less than a month back. I made a mistake of buying in a hurry as the helmet was too tight for me and wasnt comfortable riding with it so I sold it to a friend

Iam given to understand OTR charges very high and many a times above MRP also which is not liked by most customers but, he has a nice store and good collection of jackets and helmets. He has his own brand called Zeus and i like their jackets
Thanks. I did try the helmet before getting it. Seems solid and good protection, which is what I was looking for. Jackets are good though I am yet to decide on that.
Old 6th April 2014, 23:43   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
After I crashed with my Shark helmet, I was using Scorpion EX-700 until it was dropped a few weeks ago. So I went to Biking spirit on Church street after reading good reviews here to check out some models..
How much does the Rossi AGV cost? Thanks

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th April 2014 at 12:51. Reason: Please dont quote entire long post for one line query. Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 03:51   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have tried out MT helmet and really liked it. Its supposed to be spanish brand ( not really sure if its correct) and found it to be better than LS2 for sure. Fit, finish and comfort was also suitable to my fairly large size head (XL)

It was priced at Rs.3800 which is bit lower than LS2 and there is only one dealer in Hyderabad for MT
Thanks! Could you provide more specific details if possible; such as:

* What sort of a headshape does it accomodate better; round, intermediate oval or oval?
* Comfortliner / Internals - How is the quality of material as compared to say ..... SOL?
* Weight? (Size medium)
* Overall fit and finish - does it "look" cheap? Of course it wont be an Arai; but again keeping the comparison limited to the likes of SOL helmets
* Replacement visors available? Cost?

Thanks for responding to my queries. Take care; and hope you find the right helmet for you (if not found already)

Most Viewed