Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2014, 11:33   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Simple example - how great is your vision when the sweat from your brow goes plop on the glasses? You obviously cannot stop that from happening since you (hopefully) are wearing a helmet. Sure you could stop by the road; clean up and be on your way again but in our summers; it (sweaty specs) would be back before you can say "Oh HELLLL"
Do try the HJC skull cap. This is worn below the helmet and controls any head sweating. I got this for myself and really helps.

Quote:
This is a gorgeous helmet. Love the hi-viz colours. Good choice

There are some amazing close out deals online for this helmet (As low as $69). I think that the webbikeworld.com rated this as the "best helmet ever". DOT & SNELL at this price is nothing short of unbelievable. I would have definitely bought it if it was not for my oval headshape. These I think are more accomodative of a round head shape. Am already suffering pressure / heat spots on my forehead with my Gmax owing to the helmet shape (again; round)

Mind sharing how much you paid for it and where you sourced it from?
Thank you.

I am not looking at compromising with safety gear..the HJC i have bought right now just for short rides around the block and to fill fuel. Later once the bike is registered i shall get the Arai helmets, For safety gear i shall get Alpinestars shoes, full gloves, riding pants and riding jacket. I also prefer touching and trying, rather than buying online.

I bought the HJC from Performance Racing Store in Bombay and costed me Rs.10k, they gave me the HJC Skull cap for free.

Last edited by speedy : 15th April 2014 at 11:40.
Old 15th April 2014, 12:19   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
However i do feel getting LASIK eye surgery is better in long term and thinking in lines of it.
I started riding yesterday after a month-long break (owing to LASIK), and the world is a different place altogether
Old 17th April 2014, 09:41   #1278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I got myself The HJC CL-16 helmet for riding.
Congrats. Thats a great looking helmet. What size is it? Also, any other colors available in this model?

Quote:
There are some amazing close out deals online for this helmet (As low as $69). I think that the webbikeworld.com rated this as the "best helmet ever". DOT & SNELL at this price is nothing short of unbelievable.
Are there any online stores that I can source this HJC model as now i know my size which is XL ( 61-62cms) ? I saw some US website that doesnt send to India but, was priced at $70 (4.5K) which seems drool worthy price but, doesnt ship to India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
However i do feel getting LASIK eye surgery is better in long term and thinking in lines of it
Harsha, I used to wear contact lens for almost 4-5 years and after a time it was becoming uncomfortable and my eyes use to become red at end of long day. I got rid of it a few years back and iam happy with my spectacles but, it does hamper sometimes while riding

Go for Lasik only if your eye sight is really high...Above -5, else specs is a safe bet

Quote:
I bought the HJC from Performance Racing Store in Bombay and costed me Rs.10k, they gave me the HJC Skull cap for free.
Isnt that too expensive compared to its online pricing?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2014, 11:39   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats. Thats a great looking helmet. What size is it? Also, any other colors available in this model?
Thank you. The size is small and they do have other helmets in different colours.

Quote:
Are there any online stores that I can source this HJC model as now i know my size which is XL ( 61-62cms) ? I saw some US website that doesnt send to India but, was priced at $70 (4.5K) which seems drool worthy price but, doesnt ship to India
You are missing the duty part when the product comes to India..so it would be 4.5+ landed at your door step.

Quote:
Isnt that too expensive compared to its online pricing?
The original price was Rs.11 something K, after discount i paid 10k for the same. The HJC skull cap was for Rs.1500, which they gave free. As i did mention above, Duty also applies to the online price as well as the margin of profit a store keeps for themselves.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2014, 08:45   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The original price was Rs.11 something K, after discount i paid 10k for the same. The HJC skull cap was for Rs.1500, which they gave free. As i did mention above, Duty also applies to the online price as well as the margin of profit a store keeps for themselves.
Isnt this the same helmet as the one you bought? If yes, its available for 8.5K online from same store (Performance Racing Store, Mumbai)

http://performanceracing.in/Products...shock-mc2.aspx

Sorry for saying this knowing he is your friend. Hope he is not taking you for a ride?
Old 18th April 2014, 11:15   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt this the same helmet as the one you bought? If yes, its available for 8.5K online from same store (Performance Racing Store, Mumbai)

http://performanceracing.in/Products...shock-mc2.aspx

Sorry for saying this knowing he is your friend. Hope he is not taking you for a ride?
No sir, this is a different helmet from the CL family, this is Shock and what i have is Machine (if i remember right). This Helmet at the Store is also priced at Rs 8,500 and mine had Rs11 something tag.
Old 18th April 2014, 13:09   #1282
Team-BHP Support

While I had shopped with PRS, I found the prices to be on par (almost) with Official Joe Rocket prices at Joe Rocket's website.

Same for the SparX helmet.

Speedy - Would suggest you try out Joe Rocket & Dainese as well http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ru-372561.aspx
Old 18th April 2014, 13:25   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While I had shopped with PRS, I found the prices to be on par (almost) with Official Joe Rocket prices at Joe Rocket's website.

Same for the SparX helmet.

Speedy - Would suggest you try out Joe Rocket & Dainese as well http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ru-372561.aspx
I am not well versed with the biker gear companies, so from what i have read and heard..i wanted to stick with Alpinestars. Dainese i just read about after reading your post..but for this either i have to fly down to bangalore or then wait for one of my trips abroad. I don't know what size fits me for the gear. Thank you for the information.
Old 18th April 2014, 15:35   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Just FYI speedy, dianese is probably the best street gear money can buy (did I mention most of their stuff is just plain sexy). To their credit, they are:

- owners of the famed agv helmets
- "invented" back protection systems
- dianese is what Covers Rossi from head to toe

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 18th April 2014 at 15:37.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:22   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just FYI speedy, dianese is probably the best street gear money can buy (did I mention most of their stuff is just plain sexy). To their credit, they are:

- owners of the famed agv helmets
- "invented" back protection systems
- dianese is what Covers Rossi from head to toe
Thank you for the Information. I have seen the Dianese sign on Rossi's suit but never knew the company it belonged too.

I was more inclined to Alpinestars as its a known brand (to me), plus since my name starts with an A..it matches
Old 21st April 2014, 12:35   #1286
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be in Bangalore this weekend.

Can the Bangalore BHPians let me know which are the good motorcycle gear stores that should be visited to buy Helmet, Jacket and Pants?
Old 21st April 2014, 16:34   #1287
BHPian

Quote:

Can the Bangalore BHPians let me know which are the good motorcycle gear stores that should be visited to buy Helmet, Jacket and Pants?
I know of the following in Bangalore:

1. Let's Gear Up in HSR Layout Map
2. Biking Spirit on church street Map
3. Dainese d-store in Orion mall Map
Hells_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:37   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
I know of the following in Bangalore:

1. Let's Gear Up in HSR Layout Map
2. Biking Spirit on church street Map
3. Dainese d-store in Orion mall Map

Biking spirit for all spartan goods. They will have stock but its better to call them up and go. Also they are in process of shifting their stores from church street to near cash pharmacy. So better to call and go.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 14:23   #1289
BHPian

Just noticed that Flipkart has started selling Studs helmets. Would love to see other brands, and provide another site which is reliable for purchase...
Old 29th April 2014, 16:36   #1290
BHPian

Hello Gurus.

I recently bought a p200NS. have to buy a nice helmet to compliment it.
my budget 5-6k.
Went to a local shop in begumpet, hyd called the helmet world. it was a disappointment.

Note:
I have a large head.
I live and ride in hyderabad and it is deadly during summers (now) so good ventilation is a must.

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed