Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2014, 02:32   #1321
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post

Also yeah, i need to buy 'em ear plugs but dont know which ones to buy - I need some guidance on this. Are there ear plugs specific to motorcycle riding? or just generic ones?
I have the "hearoes" ear plugs. Ordered from revzilla. Ten bucks iirc
Old 25th May 2014, 10:13   #1322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Also yeah, i need to buy 'em ear plugs but dont know which ones to buy - I need some guidance on this. Are there ear plugs specific to motorcycle riding? or just generic ones?
I buy my earplugs from emahendra.com. Currently using the 1110 model, they are really good at reducing the noise level, tested at speeds of upto 90kmph.

http://emahendra.com/index.php?contr..._search=Search
chotu_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 16:46   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Guys, looking to get a good helmet to replace my current one which is around 4 years old. I see this great offer on the Bell helmet - http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/insanity/6169

But the problem is that you need to have a billing address in the USA. I was planning to pay for it from here and have my friend get it from there when he travels to India.

Any other deals where I can pay from here. Offers on Revzilla, NewEnough etc are a little costlier.
Old 27th May 2014, 23:06   #1324
BHPian

Just got myself a new LS2 helmet.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401212152.991768.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1401212172.007738.jpg
Old 28th May 2014, 18:38   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Any other deals where I can pay from here. Offers on Revzilla, NewEnough etc are a little costlier.
Check here. I purchased the Sena SMH10 bluetooth kit a couple of weeks back. Paid via credit card and shipped it to my cousin in the US. Billing address was my cousin's address. Product was shipped and delivered within committed time. Excellent service.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 13:51   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear TBHP bikers!

Need to buy a decent full face helmet. I was using a half face helmet and thought I am good to go. But then a thread by Rehaan changed my perception. Finally decided to switch to full face helmet. Most of my riding is regular commute in city to office & home.
Was looking at this Vega helmet. How good (or bad) is Vega as a helmet manufacturer?
I am looking at this helmet:http://www.snapdeal.com/product/vega...ad-dull/258041
Kindly comment.
Old 29th May 2014, 15:21   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dear TBHP bikers!

Need to buy a decent full face helmet. I was using a half face helmet and thought I am good to go. But then a thread by Rehaan changed my perception. Finally decided to switch to full face helmet. Most of my riding is regular commute in city to office & home.
Was looking at this Vega helmet. How good (or bad) is Vega as a helmet manufacturer?
I am looking at this helmet:http://www.snapdeal.com/product/vega...ad-dull/258041
Kindly comment.

The helmet is quite good for home to office use. Many of my friends use this one and are quite satisfied. U may also try some other models of vega and LS2. The helmet u mentioned doesnt have a full visor i guess. That might be an issue.
Rohitj92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 16:59   #1328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
The helmet is quite good for home to office use. Many of my friends use this one and are quite satisfied. U may also try some other models of vega and LS2. The helmet u mentioned doesnt have a full visor i guess. That might be an issue.
Thanks Rohit! Just while ordering it, I realized that it was available at flipkart too , though a tad expensive than snapdeal (only 20-25 bucks). The flipkart image of the product shows that it has a full visor, apart from inbuilt goggles.
Here is the link: http://www.flipkart.com/vega-off-roa...MDTFWQBCZ2QCXX

Regards,
Saket
Old 4th June 2014, 12:44   #1329
Distinguished - BHPian

I need some input on which is a better helmet for an almost similar price?

AGV K3 ($220) vs. Bell Air RS1 ($199)

These are the exact two helmets which are in consideration for purchase

Bell has SNELL + DOT approval rating

AGV has DOT approval rating only

Both have excellent reviews and people say have lovely finish, built quality apart from its great safety features

What is your recommendation?

AGV K3

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-35105_4.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-35105_3.jpg

Bell RS-1

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-47768_1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-47768_6.jpg
Old 4th June 2014, 21:42   #1330
BHPian

How good is this West / Proride sport type helmets. I am being quoted Rs.2400

Tried other Vega, Studds. But they all seem to be big on my head. I prefer the size "S" which was available only on these sporty models.
Old 5th June 2014, 01:48   #1331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

These are the exact two helmets which are in consideration for purchase

Bell has SNELL + DOT approval rating

AGV has DOT approval rating only

Both have excellent reviews and people say have lovely finish, built quality apart from its great safety features

What is your recommendation?
Hi mobike008

the extra SNELL rating on BELL means better safety standards but then AGV doesnt do SNELL, they have ECE approval for their top-line helmets (dont know about K3)

But the AGV helmets are now available through the Dainese Store in Bangalore at very very competitive pricing. What this means is the ease of sourcing visors and other spares locally without too much hassle. BELL as of now doesnt have an Indian presence so whatever accessories you may want later shall have to be shipped here from abroad unless you are a frequent traveller.

Both are good helmets and will serve you well. If the points mentioned above are not deal-maker/breaker for you then go for the one which looks best to you.

Last edited by narula123 : 5th June 2014 at 01:50.
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 03:14   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
I need some input on which is a better helmet for an almost similar price?

I personally prefer Bell over AGV. Bell fits more snug while I feel AGV is tad bit short covering the chin area.

Snell Ratings are considered to be significantly higher than DOT standards.

Found this link from Revzilla
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 08:34   #1333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I personally prefer Bell over AGV. Bell fits more snug while I feel AGV is tad bit short covering the chin area.

Snell Ratings are considered to be significantly higher than DOT standards.

Found this link from Revzilla
Prem, I added the Bell RS1 based on your recommendation only. Iam kind of liking it but, can decide only after trying it

Have tried the AGV K3 and I know which size fits and how it feels. I can even take the risk of ordering this helmet online which i cannot for BELL

Basically, both are shortlisted and will pick up which ever feels best to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Hi mobike008

the extra SNELL rating on BELL means better safety standards but then AGV doesnt do SNELL, they have ECE approval for their top-line helmets (dont know about K3)

But the AGV helmets are now available through the Dainese Store in Bangalore at very very competitive pricing. What this means is the ease of sourcing visors and other spares locally without too much hassle. BELL as of now doesnt have an Indian presence so whatever accessories you may want later shall have to be shipped here from abroad unless you are a frequent traveller.
Thanks for a nice explanation. I know safety wise both are top notch and no compromises there. Iam aware AGV accessories are now available in Bangalore and makes sense to pick up one but, Iam not really concerned about presence as much as its fit and overall feel

Accessories can be shipped in, brought in or asked to me brought in

Can someone please highlight what is the difference between SNELL, DOT and ECE ratings? And, which one is considered higher and why? Iam only aware of that ECE does all approvals for body armour
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 10:08   #1334
BHPian

Quote:
Prem, I added the Bell RS1 based on your recommendation only. Iam kind of liking it but, can decide only after trying it

Have tried the AGV K3 and I know which size fits and how it feels. I can even take the risk of ordering this helmet online which i cannot for BELL

Basically, both are shortlisted and will pick up which ever feels best to me
Looks like i'm a sales man for Bell now

DOT is a set of standards mentioned by US Dept of Transport. They only do a sample testing or no testing of helmets. Its more like honor system where they trust the manufacturer to follow the DOT standards.

Snell is a private non-profit organization which has much stringent standards and they test all the helmet models that is approved by them. They have a much tougher standards for testing impacts etc(I don't exactly know the numbers and grading they follow). They also don't approve modular or half face helmets.

ECE is European standards similar to DOT standards. ECE Tests sample from every batch of helmets that are produced that makes this better than DOT. All helmets imported to US that has ECE rating is approved by DOT.

Found this informative video online.

Last edited by kraft.wagen : 5th June 2014 at 10:20. Reason: Adding Video
kraft.wagen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 12:45   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone please highlight what is the difference between SNELL, DOT and ECE ratings? And, which one is considered higher and why? Iam only aware of that ECE does all approvals for body armour
I am sure you know this website Avi. Pretty popular among the bikers. If not, please book mark this website.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-20...-standards.htm

This may say NOLAN, but I guess it holds good as a standard.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks