Old 5th June 2014, 16:49   #1336
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Looks like i'm a sales man for Bell now

Quote:
DOT is a set of standards mentioned by US Dept of Transport. They only do a sample testing or no testing of helmets. Its more like honor system where they trust the manufacturer to follow the DOT standards.
After moving to the USA, you have become quite a biker with good knowledge

Thanks for that simple 3 paragraph explanation which makes it totally lucid to me now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I am sure you know this website Avi. Pretty popular among the bikers. If not, please book mark this website.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/eicma-2010/nolan-helmets/dot-vs-ece-helmet-safety-standards.htm
I have no qualms owning up things that I dont know. I dont think i have visited this website before

So thank you for sharing it here....Cheers!
Old 5th June 2014, 17:26   #1337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Thanks for that simple 3 paragraph explanation which makes it totally lucid to me now

I have no qualms owning up things that I dont know. I dont think i have visited this website before

So thank you for sharing it here....Cheers!
I have the BELL Vortex which is one segment lower than RS1. Pretty good helmet. Its slightly heavier because its SNELL 2010 certified in a non carbon fibre shell. Its slightly noisy because the ventilation is really good. I taped a couple of vents and this was solved. The build is really really nice. The paint quality is superb and Interior of the helmet feels nice and plush.
The star of this helmet is the visor dismantling mechanism. Its so easy you can change visors all day long. Really Handy.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 22:55   #1338
BHPian

Quote:

haha Thanks Avi.

And yea like Rachit mentioned, Bell helmets tend to be little noisy. And I was thinking may be you should get this bubble visor also.. you can surely carry it off well

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-ims201331.jpg
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 08:40   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I have the BELL Vortex which is one segment lower than RS1. Pretty good helmet.
A friend has same version helmet and he too was praising about it a lot. If Vortex is that good then iam sure RS1 which is a segment higher should be even better and lighter ( carbon fibre shell)

Thanks for the inputs

Quote:
And yea like Rachit mentioned, Bell helmets tend to be little noisy. And I was thinking may be you should get this bubble visor also..
Hmmm. Noisey..eh? If i like the overall package I dont mind little noise

Quote:
you can surely carry it off well
Do you want me to look like Darth Vader?

Jokes aside, What are the benefits of a bubble visor (apart from me easily able to slip in my glasses into the helmet)
Old 6th June 2014, 10:02   #1340
BHPian

Quote:
I need some input on which is a better helmet for an almost similar price?

AGV K3 ($220) vs. Bell Air RS1 ($199)
I would recommend the Bell RS1. It offers great ventilation, a superb liner and a great anti fog coating. Also in their respective hierarchies the RS1 is a higher model than the K3. The K3 is popular and hence almost never on discount because of the Rossi graphics.

I own a Bell RS1 and am really happy with it.

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th June 2014 at 12:36. Reason: Shortening the quote length
keshavarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 12:38   #1341
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshavarora View Post
I would recommend the Bell RS1. It offers great ventilation, a superb liner and a great anti fog coating. Also in their respective hierarchies the RS1 is a higher model than the K3. The K3 is popular and hence almost never on discount because of the Rossi graphics.

I own a Bell RS1 and am really happy with it.
Wonderful. Thanks for the input. Looks like the ball is falling more in the RS1 court

How is the noise levels? Also, is there any sizing issue? Can you please share the size that you use and also an image of your helmet would be really nice.

I did a comparison on the link Shubz shared and even there Bell RS1 has come out as the better of the two helmets
Old 6th June 2014, 16:00   #1342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonderful. Thanks for the input. Looks like the ball is falling more in the RS1 court

How is the noise levels? Also, is there any sizing issue? Can you please share the size that you use and also an image of your helmet would be really nice.

I did a comparison on the link Shubz shared and even there Bell RS1 has come out as the better of the two helmets
Hey mobike. I had ordered the rs 1 and got my hands on it yesterday. I've had to send it back for an exchange as it was not as snug as I would have liked. I ordered a size medium originally.

Rs1 is more premium than the k3 in all respects, except maybe the agv graphics which are a work of art. But the k3 is something you have experienced first hand. You know how it fits n feels. Go with what you know is my suggestion. You know, one bird in hand being better than 2 in bush n all that

Cheers!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 20:31   #1343
BHPian

Since the discussion is on fit and size, I would like to add a question. I am using a HJC CL-16. After riding for a mile or 2, pain starts in my jaw. Is it common when you are getting used to a new helmet? Or is it a size problem. The HJC is medium sized and it takes a bit of effort to slide it down my head. I heard a notion that helmet should always be tight fit. Is it so? On the other hand, an open face Studds Cub is far more comfortable although it doesn't give full protection and hot air blows on your face as if your are moving behind a jet! Delhi riders would know the pain when you stand behind the low floor bus.
Old 6th June 2014, 21:21   #1344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4k_jz View Post
I am using a HJC CL-16. After riding for a mile or 2, pain starts in my jaw. Is it common when you are getting used to a new helmet? Or is it a size problem. The HJC is medium sized and it takes a bit of effort to slide it down my head. I heard a notion that helmet should always be tight fit.
I have the same one in the same size. When I first bought it, it felt a little tight around the temple for the first couple of days till it was "broken-in".

Now, it's as comfy as can be.

Are your ears & the forehead area OK or does it feel like it's being squeezed in as well? Try the same helmet in a L size & see how it fits.

A helmet should be snug, i.e., it should fit your head well, not squeeze it as if it were being pushed under this device:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-medievality.com-headcrusher.jpg
Old 6th June 2014, 22:45   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since the discussion is on fit and size, I would like to add a question. I am using a HJC CL-16. After riding for a mile or 2, pain starts in my jaw. Is it common when you are getting used to a new helmet? Or is it a size problem. The HJC is medium sized and it takes a bit of effort to slide it down my head. I heard a notion that helmet should always be tight fit. Is it so? On the other hand, an open face Studds Cub is far more comfortable although it doesn't give full protection and hot air blows on your face as if your are moving behind a jet! Delhi riders would know the pain when you stand behind the low floor bus.
Hey Fork_Jizz

How long have you had this helmet for? Some helmets may take slightly longer to break in than others. You did not mention anything around hot spots on the forehead or pain in that region either. So basically what you have is a perfect size helmet. Do not!!!! go for a size larger.

You can give it some time. Wear it around the house for as long as you can. It ll obviously feel silly but will be worth it if you get the desired results. Or; you could try different size cheekpads if the pain is unbrearable.

In case its pressing uncomfortably on your forehead or the sides of your head; you defintely need to go a size up.

PS - leave the studds open face for days you need to ride down to the barber shop. Just my 2 cents. Take care bud

Edit - Check this out -

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 6th June 2014 at 22:47.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 23:46   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

Are your ears & the forehead area OK or does it feel like it's being squeezed in as well? Try the same helmet in a L size & see how it fits.
My forehead fits just fine. There is a slight pain and itching on the backside of the ear as it is sandwiched between the helmet and the temple of the spex. But thats something I can manage with.
I have already lost the chance to change the helmet. If time dont heel the problem, most probably I will sell it off. But I think the helmet will set to my head shape with time. This is what the condition is, my cheeks pressed in
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20131017_144645.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey Fork_Jizz

How long have you had this helmet for? Some helmets may take slightly longer to break in than others. You did not mention anything around hot spots on the forehead or pain in that region either. So basically what you have is a perfect size helmet. Do not!!!! go for a size larger.
The helmet is just a few weeks old. The only part which pains is the jaw. Otherwise its a good fit. Be it styling or safety, you get it all with HJC.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th June 2014 at 05:15. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 7th June 2014, 03:03   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
My forehead fits just fine. There is a slight pain and itching on the backside of the ear as it is sandwiched between the helmet and the temple of the spex. But thats something I can manage with.
I have already lost the chance to change the helmet. If time dont heel the problem, most probably I will sell it off. But I think the helmet will set to my head shape with time. This is what the condition is, my cheeks pressed in
Attachment 1247686
Are you able to wear the helmet without too much of push? Its definitely going to break in after some use. When they say it should fit tight, it means your head shouldn't move around or be able to turn easily.
kraft.wagen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 05:18   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There is a slight pain and itching on the backside of the ear as it is sandwiched between the helmet and the temple of the spex. But thats something I can manage with.
You wear glasses. That is a pain. I had issues wearing my glasses as well - used to scratch up the side of my head.
I think it just needs to break-in. If you try it without glasses, it'll definitely be more comfortable.
Don't worry, the cheek pads will soften with use.

If you really need to make sure, just go into a helmet store & try on a larger size - you don't need to buy it. Just wear it to compare.
Old 7th June 2014, 15:22   #1349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post

If you really need to make sure, just go into a helmet store & try on a larger size - you don't need to buy it. Just wear it to compare.
I will surely do so. But I feel the helmet will fit comfortably after a few weeks.
Old 9th June 2014, 23:54   #1350
BHPian

Quote:

Hey i am really sorry for the really late reply, work was crazy. My hat size measured 60 cm and i went for an XL size and the helmet fits me perfect. The wind noise is contained well and is minimal at speeds upto 100 kmph. It is much better than my other helmet, the Scopian Exo 700. The ventilation is pretty good and the liner is amazing against the skin. The RS 1 is a great helmet and in the Bell range, is second only to the USD 600-700 Bell Star.

However, if you want to buy the K3, these guys had a good price on it recently, please check with them https://www.facebook.com/sbkstore.in

Please let me know if you need any other info.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imag0327.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imag0328.jpg  

keshavarora is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed