Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2014, 17:12   #1366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Finally took the plunge for the Helmet after oscillating between the AGV K3 Dreamtime & Bell RS-1

P.S: Many thanks to Urban Nomad, Prem and Harsha Muvva for their insights in making me decide on my helmet

Congrats on the purchase avi, if not for my personal preference towards 5-continents i would have bought the very same one!

Glad to be of help

Must say that you got a very good deal and the blue visor will look gorgeous on in this one too
harsha.muvva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 21:38   #1367
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Got a fantastic deal of $175 (INR 10, 675) for the AGV K3 Dreamtime
Hey Avi - Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could help out.

I love these graphics. The blue will look stunning! to the say the least

Now spill the beans already. Where did you get this awesome deal from?

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 22:45   #1368

I want to buy a helmet at max 5-6k. The SOL SF1 and 68II look very appealing to me (especially the LED lights at the back). Should I be looking at any other options in that range? Are there any inherent problems with the SOL? LS2 perhaps? Something with a plain solid or matte black design, full-face, street (not motocross) style. Also, good ventilation (Especially because I wear contact lenses and need to have the visor closed most of the time).

Slightly off topic -- is there anywhere online where I can get earplugs meant for riding? Worried about damaging my ears in the long run.
Old 26th June 2014, 12:10   #1369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter-<3-Cars View Post
I want to buy a helmet at max 5-6k. The SOL SF1 and 68II look very appealing to me (especially the LED lights at the back). Should I be looking at any other options in that range? Are there any inherent problems with the SOL? LS2 perhaps? Something with a plain solid or matte black design, full-face, street (not motocross) style. Also, good ventilation (Especially because I wear contact lenses and need to have the visor closed most of the time).

Slightly off topic -- is there anywhere online where I can get earplugs meant for riding? Worried about damaging my ears in the long run.
I would advise you to stay away from LS2 as there too many fakes in the market now and its very difficult to differentiate the fakes from real

SOL has very good ventilation system and because of this it tends to get bit noisy at high-speeds,the quality is very good too.At this price SOL helmets are very good option

Alternatively you can also check out the MT helmets(Spartan pro gear is the distributor).Though i haven't used them personally,heard very good reviews from friends who have used them

link : http://spartanprogear.com/Helmet.asp...5&sc=1&pId=238
Old 27th June 2014, 17:04   #1370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Alternatively you can also check out the MT helmets(Spartan pro gear is the distributor).Though i haven't used them personally,heard very good reviews from friends who have used them
I have seen, felt and worn the MT helmets and found them better than LS2 and SOL in terms of quality, fit and finish.

I would have picked up one. However, at that time I was in a different world and wanted a white helmet so eventually picked up a THH which I sold to a fellow rider as I didnt like its peformance at all

Now I have an AGV K3 in my life...so no looking back
Old 27th June 2014, 17:53   #1371
BHPian

Bought a THH full face helmet a few days ago. Was looking for LS2 but I wanted a white and red helmet to go with the color of my bike and ended up buying this.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-photo-1.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-photo-2.jpg

I wanted to try a helmet before buying and my budget was around 3-4k. I thought it was an OK helmet rather than a good one but I was short on time and had apparently gone to a shop that is supposed to have a larger collection (Chopra at Karol Bagh).

The buying experience itself wasnt great. I had read good reviews about the shop on this very thread but the owner was pretty pushy. In fact he gave the customer before me a real earful just because he looked at a few helmets and didnt buy one. So I wouldnt really recommend the shop because of customer handling as well as range of helmets they stock (which really isnt all that much).

Re. the helmet itself. It is what I had thought it is - an OK helmet. Ventilation is fine but there is a lot of wind noise. Plus the size is a bit big - they told me that the shell size is same and the S, M, L etc are basically padding sizes. The fit and finish of the helmet is also just about OK. So not too thrilled with it. Guess a combination of hurry plus the attitude of the owner made me settle for it. Got it for 4k.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2014, 10:02   #1372

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I would advise you to stay away from LS2 as there too many fakes in the market now and its very difficult to differentiate the fakes from real

SOL has very good ventilation system and because of this it tends to get bit noisy at high-speeds,the quality is very good too.At this price SOL helmets are very good option

link : http://spartanprogear.com/Helmet.asp...5&sc=1&pId=238
Thanks! I like the MT design but I wasn't sure about quality/fit/etc. Will look into it. Regarding wind noise, like I asked in my original post, where would I get earplugs suited for riding? Should I just use the normal 3M ones?

And yes, I wasn't sure about LS2 because of the fakes only.

Quote:
I have seen, felt and worn the MT helmets and found them better than LS2 and SOL in terms of quality, fit and finish.

I would have picked up one. However, at that time I was in a different world and wanted a white helmet so eventually picked up a THH which I sold to a fellow rider as I didnt like its peformance at all

Now I have an AGV K3 in my life...so no looking back
Thanks, I'll look at both MT and SOL before deciding. Any specific recommendations of the MT ones?
Old 29th June 2014, 21:06   #1373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Bought a THH full face helmet a few days ago. Was looking for LS2 but I wanted a white and red helmet to go with the color of my bike and ended up buying this.

Re. the helmet itself. It is what I had thought it is - an OK helmet. Ventilation is fine but there is a lot of wind noise. Plus the size is a bit big - they told me that the shell size is same and the S, M, L etc are basically padding sizes. The fit and finish of the helmet is also just about OK. So not too thrilled with it. Guess a combination of hurry plus the attitude of the owner made me settle for it. Got it for 4k.
I also bought a THH or TIH from Bike Fatc Tree, Patel Nagar...he is an authorized dealer of Zeus gear who also markets THH.

The quality of plastic used in vents is cheap, sometimes when I close the vents, they get stuck and I have to pull them using a flat object (generally I use back of a spoon ).

Probably, same thing happened to me as with you, the purchase was a result of hurry plus unavailability of SOL, even after waiting for more than one and half month and no helmet fitting my head (all I tried were too large and this one was the closest).

Also, before seeing this helmet, I visited Riderz Accessories in Karol Bagh who showed me NUVO, which retails close to 7000 bucks, the original one, but he was pushing it for 3K. Obviously it was a fake and I was kind of not interested in scouting again at Karol Bagh, because they lie through their teeth making a fake product a genuine one.
AkshayA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 14:16   #1374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshayA View Post
The quality of plastic used in vents is cheap, sometimes when I close the vents, they get stuck and I have to pull them using a flat object

Probably, same thing happened to me as with you, the purchase was a result of hurry plus unavailability of SOL, even after waiting for more than one and half month and no helmet fitting my head (all I tried were too large and this one was the closest).
Exactly. The vents plastic and rubbers used are of cheap quality. There is absolutely no finesse. And even though it says DOT aproved at the back, the overall quality really doesnt inspire much confidence. I wouldnt recommend THH (TIH) at all.

I know end of the day its our fault because we settled for something inferior. Spent a few weeks researching and all that went down the drain in a few minutes at the shop counter. O well. Probably a lesson for those still in the market looking to buy a decent quality helmet - dont settle for something inferior no matter how pushy the seller is and dont go out to buy things in a hurry.

Last edited by Cesc : 30th June 2014 at 14:26.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 18:16   #1375
Senior - BHPian

My Brother is planning to get his first lid and his budget is 2K - 3K. Obviously, SOL and other premium brands will not fit in his budget but will he get any LS2 in this range? If not LS2, which other brands \ models will be best buy under 2K and between 2K-3K range?

--Anoop
Old 1st July 2014, 18:44   #1376
BHPian

Folks,

Need some help.
I use a 7 year old GPOne helmet with a crappy iridium visor and thinking of the following:
(a) Replace the visor mounts and visor to AGV; dont know where I can get this in Bangalore
(b) Replace the aged but no crack/ fall lid with a new one

Could You please help.

Thanks.
Old 1st July 2014, 18:56   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Folks,

Need some help.
I use a 7 year old GPOne helmet with a crappy iridium visor and thinking of the following:
(a) Replace the visor mounts and visor to AGV; dont know where I can get this in Bangalore
(b) Replace the aged but no crack/ fall lid with a new one

Could You please help.

Thanks.
The generally accepted norm for the life of a helmet is 5 years, so I would say, replace the lid as it have served well for over 7 years already.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 21:37   #1378
Senior - BHPian

Inspired by the detailing effors of abirnale's matte black TB500, I decided to apply a coating on my matte black AGV K4 Evo

The results were nothing short of dramatic! The grey shade of the helmet darkened very nicely to a shade which I love!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20140701_085940.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20140701_090009.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20140701_090107.jpg

I coated the visor with 2 coats of GTechniq Exo V2, which is very widely known for its water repelling properties. It did not disappoint! Please check out the video below

This should make riding in the rains much safer this monsoon season!
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 22:48   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
This should make riding in the rains much safer this monsoon season!
Excellent! Thank you for sharing. This is definitely pricey at around Rs. 4k.

Are these any good:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Gtechniq-C2v3...item2c7998f94a

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Formula-1-Hig...item27e326088d

I hardly ride in rains and am not bothered if the spray / coating lasts just one ride and needs to be reapplied. It must however repel water effectively for however short duration it would.

Thanks!
Old 2nd July 2014, 05:17   #1380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Excellent! Thank you for sharing. This is definitely pricey at around Rs. 4k.

Are these any good:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Gtechniq-C2v3...item2c7998f94a

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Formula-1-Hig...item27e326088d

I hardly ride in rains and am not bothered if the spray / coating lasts just one ride and needs to be reapplied. It must however repel water effectively for however short duration it would.

Thanks!
Although the bottle costs 4k, I didn't use more than 2 drops per coat on the visor. That small bottle is probably enough for 2 cars

http://www.ebay.in/itm/CarPro-CQuart...4ea6341&_uhb=1

^ This is enough for a whole bike + helmet + visor. Should work pretty much the same as well

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 2nd July 2014 at 05:19.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks