Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2014, 17:23   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
You did try a fellow rider s k3 before buyîng urs iirc and that fit u well. So don't worry, this one will open up a bit also and become comfortable
I did see that video in the past and my current helmet fits all parameters mentioned in it.

Went for a 175kms ride yesterday with the new helmet and I fit bit uncomfortable during the onward journey with regards to the helmet but, during the return ride it felt more comfortable

I reckon a few more rides with the helmet will ease things out
Old 6th August 2014, 12:25   #1397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500modder View Post
I was looking for a helmet I could live with in the Bombay heat, now that the monsoon is over. My Sparx helmet gets a little warm to wear, especially towards mid-day. The little vents on it just don't give enough ventilation. And the thick padding makes for a sweaty experience.
Hello Modder. I've been searching the forum for somebody who has ordered and imported a helmet online and I came across your Givi (good looking helmet!).
I recently ordered a Nolan N43e Air Special from a posting in eBay. Tracking the order, I discovered that the piece reached Indian customs yesterday and in in something called a 'hold down'. Now, I was unaware that buying through eBay would have duty implications but nevertheless, the damage is done. What I would need to know is how does one go about obtaining the helmet after paying the required duties? Any inputs would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
Old 6th August 2014, 19:17   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
What I would need to know is how does one go about obtaining the helmet after paying the required duties? Any inputs would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
If it has been shipped by mail /ems it will be sent to your area post office once the customs officials have assessed what duty slab it falls into. The post man will attempt to deliver it and recover the duty amount from you. Alternatively, once they have notified you of its arrival, they may ask you to come into the post office to pay the duty (this is what I did). Beware that the duty amount on helmets is a shocker!
Old 6th August 2014, 19:55   #1399
BHPian

Thanks Modder. Yeah, I did go to an online duty calculator and figured I will end up paying almost 50% of the purchase value if they decide to slap the relevant duty on the lid. We live and learn. Sigh.
Old 7th August 2014, 13:37   #1400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Modder. Yeah, I did go to an online duty calculator and figured I will end up paying almost 50% of the purchase value if they decide to slap the relevant duty on the lid. We live and learn. Sigh.
Gosh! 50% is a shocker. See if you can reach out to them and try some "I am a bechara guy" kinda story to get lower duties or no duties. (not suggesting you pay a bribe)
Old 7th August 2014, 15:14   #1401
BHPian

I will. But I don't know how effective the 'bechara' line is on a helmet with a sticker price 10 times that of a Studds from the local retail
Old 7th August 2014, 15:34   #1402
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I reckon a few more rides with the helmet will ease things out
When I bought my helmet in the US, I went to the store. IN 10 mins I had found a lid that looked nice and was in my budget with Snell 2010 and a D-Ring on it.

Then for the next hour while I browsed thru that store, I wore the helmet for like 80% of the time.
Old 7th August 2014, 16:44   #1403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Gosh! 50% is a shocker. See if you can reach out to them and try some "I am a bechara guy" kinda story to get lower duties or no duties. (not suggesting you pay a bribe)
Quote:
I will. But I don't know how effective the 'bechara' line is on a helmet with a sticker price 10 times that of a Studds from the local retail
Agree with Shubz on this point, 50% cost of the helmet as custom duty is ridiculous. In my opinion, a friendly chat with a polite tone usually gets the work done at much lesser price ( if the rules are not an imposing factor)

Subhashish, was that a Shoei that you ordered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
When I bought my helmet in the US, I went to the store. IN 10 mins I had found a lid that looked nice and was in my budget with Snell 2010 and a D-Ring on it.
Which one you bought and what was the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Then for the next hour while I browsed thru that store, I wore the helmet for like 80% of the time.
I know thats the style. But, I didnt want too look like that character Ryan from 2 & half men by wearing the helmet around in the store while browsing other products
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2014, 17:54   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Check here. I purchased the Sena SMH10 bluetooth kit a couple of weeks back. Paid via credit card and shipped it to my cousin in the US. Billing address was my cousin's address. Product was shipped and delivered within committed time. Excellent service.
Been some time and my sis couldn't get it when coming. Have now ordered a HJC CL16 and hopefully my friend can get it. Got it at the link you provided for $80. Great deal! Snell and DOT!
Old 10th August 2014, 11:30   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Ok, friend got the helmet. Looks grand eh? I specifically asked for the high visibility colour. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Will post up a report once I receive it and have a decent ride with it on.

Btw - do we have use of the pinlock visor here in India? Good for those cold mornings in Bangalore?
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img20140809wa0003.jpg  

Old 10th August 2014, 13:24   #1406
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ok, friend got the helmet. Looks grand eh??
Nice helmet. Is this preparations towards buying a new bike that I see in your signature?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 16:04   #1407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice helmet. Is this preparations towards buying a new bike that I see in your signature?
Ah, I wish I could say yes but finances don't permit it. The Bonneville has been in my signature even before Triumph started here. And looks like it will be there for some more years as a question mark

Been reading your Bonnie thread with interest though. So happy to see a happy Bonnie rider!!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 15:44   #1408
BHPian

I'm (finally) learning how to ride a geared bike and get my license, and I was looking to invest in a decent helmet. My brother has a Vega Axor (medium, 58cm) which is ISI and DOT approved for just Rs.2200. I thought that was a good deal, but sadly, I haven't been able to source my size in that range (56-57cm). As far as I know there aren't any helmet shops in Goa. Could anyone suggest a few decent models that won't burn a hole in my pocket? Thanks in advance
Old 25th August 2014, 09:07   #1409
Senior - BHPian

My lids, left to right AGV horizon, KBC VR1X both fiberglass composite and my old Mpa AGV.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-lids.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-lidback.jpg  

heavy_foot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 13:22   #1410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
I'm (finally) learning how to ride a geared bike and get my license, and I was looking to invest in a decent helmet.
==========Thanks in advance
LS2 FF350 - Rs. 3600-4000
MT AXXIS - Rs. 4000
SOL 68S II - Rs. 5000
r.joshi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks