Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2014, 14:53   #1411
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Ok, got my hands on the HJC CL-16 Helmet I'd posted about a few days back. First ride with it and my impressions:

1. Helmet looks great! And it is so "colourful" that people keep staring at it. Very happy for the visibility factor.
2. Fits really well. I'd measured my head to be 60 cms round and chose the size "L" and it is a great fit. It is not too tight but at the same time, it does not move around when I shake my head. Perfect fit. Couldn't have been happier.
3. Slightly noisy. Yes, this does not have a chin curtain and this creates the wind noise. But - there is no other noise that I can really hear.
4. The pin-lock visor is great! This is to be seen to be believed. I never thought it could be so good at anti-fogging. Even when I try to blow into the visor, it does not mist up. Perfect.
5. I was thinking that I will need to purchase the breath-box but the pin-lock visor does away the need for that.

Very happy with the helmet. A very good buy I should say.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-hjc-cl16.jpg  

Last edited by naveenroy : 25th August 2014 at 15:04.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 09:38   #1412
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a problem with my AGV K3 helmet

After installing the Sena Bluetooth wherein its a laborious process, I have noted that helmet feels fine till about 30 mins into a ride

Post above time, there is a solid pressure on my right ear (my ear lobes also gets twisted) and I feel like removing the helmet immediately

It was comfortable prior to Sena Installation so is it something to do with that?

What should I do to make it comfortable? Remove the pads/speakers and re-insert them?

Other than the right ear issue, there is no other issues with helmet at all
Old 26th August 2014, 16:13   #1413
BHPian

Does anyone know if the products on this site are genuine - bikegear.in ?

I want to get a SOL from there.
Old 26th August 2014, 18:44   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanskumar View Post
Does anyone know if the products on this site are genuine - bikegear.in ?
============
I want to get a SOL from there.

What's you ride? My friend's using SOL with his Ninja 300 and it's too noisy while hitting triple digits on highways. Go ahead, if you're going to use it with 150-200cc bikes.
Old 26th August 2014, 19:01   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have a problem with my AGV K3 helmet

After installing the Sena Bluetooth wherein its a laborious process, I have noted that helmet feels fine till about 30 mins into a ride

Post above time, there is a solid pressure on my right ear (my ear lobes also gets twisted) and I feel like removing the helmet immediately

It was comfortable prior to Sena Installation so is it something to do with that?

What should I do to make it comfortable? Remove the pads/speakers and re-insert them?

Other than the right ear issue, there is no other issues with helmet at all
Avi - I totally empathize with you! Exactly the same experience I underwent with my HJC!

The AGV does not have comm cavities for speakers. So your temple area gets constricted after installing the Sena speakers!

I finally got rid of the Sena from the HJC and installed the same on my Shark! Fits very good, no pain etc. BUT - The VnH's are loud - so communicating with pillion is meaningless as its very hard to hear and concentrate at the same time.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 19:14   #1416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.joshi View Post
What's you ride? My friend's using SOL with his Ninja 300 and it's too noisy while hitting triple digits on highways. Go ahead, if you're going to use it with 150-200cc bikes.
Well - even a HJC is noisy. Unless the helmet has a chin curtain, I don't think you can eliminate noise. Or maybe you have to purchase an Arai or SHOEI for that. Never tried those, so can't say though.
Old 26th August 2014, 19:21   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well - even a HJC is noisy. Unless the helmet has a chin curtain, I don't think you can eliminate noise. Or maybe you have to purchase an Arai or SHOEI for that. Never tried those, so can't say though.
Even with a chin curtain - My HJC blows my ear drums away! Add - A visor that doesn't fit snug/closely when fully closed!
Old 26th August 2014, 19:39   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
I too have HJC IS-17. It's also noisy even with chin curtain. SOL isn't bad helmet but in the same price range I'd prefer Sparx over SOL.
Old 26th August 2014, 20:11   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Even with a chin curtain - My HJC blows my ear drums away! Add - A visor that doesn't fit snug/closely when fully closed!
All my Helmets - Arai Corsair V, Soumy Extreme SPec 1R, AGV K4 Evo are noisy. I still wonder how its ever termed quiet by folks.

The least noisiest was the original imported AGV I bought back in 2005.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 23:57   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
All my Helmets - Arai Corsair V, Soumy Extreme SPec 1R, AGV K4 Evo are noisy. I still wonder how its ever termed quiet by folks.

The least noisiest was the original imported AGV I bought back in 2005.
Totally agree. I don't understand people claiming "Oh my helmet is so quiet" I just didn't want to rake up a controversy and make people think am belittling their choice. And noise reduction is pretty relative. There won't be a world of difference between brands. The quietest helmets are supposed to be the Schubert's . I haven't tried them though.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 12:20   #1421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Totally agree. I don't understand people claiming "Oh my helmet is so quiet" I just didn't want to rake up a controversy and make people think am belittling their choice. And noise reduction is pretty relative. There won't be a world of difference between brands. The quietest helmets are supposed to be the Schubert's . I haven't tried them though.
+ 1 to that. Even Schubert's - I would say is only "relatively" quieter than the others.

But then what is there in biking with out the wind and noise (even if its "whirring" noise). That is why I still prefer my open Shoie for short rides, but then that's me

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 21:18   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, friend got the helmet. Looks grand eh? I specifically asked for the high visibility colour. Can't wait to get my hands on it! Will post up a report once I receive it and have a decent ride with it on.
How my did you pay for this one?
Old 2nd September 2014, 19:47   #1423
Distinguished - BHPian

I picked up a HJC CL 17 from Lets Gear Up in HSR Layout. My cousin and I went on a bit of a shopping spree - two HJC CL 17s, one Spartan jacket (the one ~4k) and a pair of DSG gloves. Total damage was around 23k but well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2014901193128-medium.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2014901193609-medium.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-2014901193622-medium.jpg  

Old 2nd September 2014, 20:39   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I picked up a HJC CL 17 from Lets Gear Up in HSR Layout. My cousin and I went on a bit of a shopping spree - two HJC CL 17s, one Spartan jacket (the one ~4k) and a pair of DSG gloves. Total damage was around 23k but well worth it.
Congrats. Did you both buy exact same helmet? How much did the helmet alone cost?
Old 2nd September 2014, 20:56   #1425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats. Did you both buy exact same helmet? How much did the helmet alone cost?
Thanks! I bought this one which had the green inserts while he bought the same one with red inserts. Rs 8.5 k per helmet from the good folks at Lets Gear Up.

Most Viewed