Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2014, 11:16   #1456
Senior - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I'm not able to find the Smoked Visor for the KYT RC7. PlanetDSG didn't respond and neither did Ultimate Auto Impex, Mumbai.

That's when I hit upon a novel idea, instead of buying a new visor. Is it possible to just tint the current one with the Sun Protection Film used on cars? I was thinking, since the application area is small, can't I just to some store and ask them to use the bit leftover from a car application on the visor? That will save me the trouble of having to pay for the entire film.

It sounds feasible to me. But is it actually feasible? :P
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 11:32   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

That's when I hit upon a novel idea, instead of buying a new visor. Is it possible to just tint the current one with the Sun Protection Film used on cars? I was thinking, since the application area is small, can't I just to some store and ask them to use the bit leftover from a car application on the visor? That will save me the trouble of having to pay for the entire film.

It sounds feasible to me. But is it actually feasible? :P
I had the exact same idea, I was thinking on tinting my helmet visor with 3M's CR 70 . It is more or less transparent and cuts out the heat too. I was thinking about getting the whole helmet tinted with 3M CR 70. I don't have LS2 or SOL , I use an ordinary Vega helmet and I am planning to experiment with it .

During peak summer it's very uncomfortable wearing a black helmet , so thought of this idea a few days back. Do let us know if you get it done .
Old 14th October 2014, 11:41   #1458
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's when I hit upon a novel idea, instead of buying a new visor. Is it possible to just tint the current one with the Sun Protection Film used on cars?
Yes, indeed that is possible.One of my friends has got it done on his helmet's visor.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:57   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
I had the exact same idea, I was thinking on tinting my helmet visor with 3M's CR 70 . It is more or less transparent and cuts out the heat too. I was thinking about getting the whole helmet tinted with 3M CR 70. I don't have LS2 or SOL , I use an ordinary Vega helmet and I am planning to experiment with it .

During peak summer it's very uncomfortable wearing a black helmet , so thought of this idea a few days back. Do let us know if you get it done .
Getting the entire helmet tinted will be difficult considering the inherent round nature of the helmet I think. I could be wrong. But wrapping on something round might prove difficult.

Yes, I wanted to get the visor tinted for the same reason, heat. After the Dirt Type helmet, the current one without the sunshade like thing lets in too much of the sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, indeed that is possible.One of my friends has got it done on his helmet's visor.
Any idea how much it cost? If it costs anything more than 400 rupees, I'll be better off buying a new visor(Provided I can find it. )
Old 14th October 2014, 13:33   #1460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much it cost? If it costs anything more than 400 rupees, I'll be better off buying a new visor(Provided I can find it. )
He got it done for 100 bucks. I just called him to confirm. However, he told me that later he changed the visor for Rs. 300/-
Old 14th October 2014, 13:36   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He got it done for 100 bucks. I just called him to confirm. However, he told me that later he changed the visor for Rs. 300/-
Wow. 100, that makes for a nice proposition.

Let's see, I hope to get it done soon. But I am still contemplating if the tint will cause any long term effects. That said, any particular tint that anyone would suggest?

I'd like a little of the tinted effect, where the visor is blackened out a little. But if it interferes with visibility too much, it can take a back seat, no problem.

My main problem are the morons riding around on High Beam and the heat and glare from the sun.
Old 14th October 2014, 13:47   #1462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow. 100, that makes for a nice proposition.

My main problem are the morons riding around on High Beam and the heat and glare from the sun.
Yes, 100 bucks for it is really good. They used the a leftover piece which was sufficient for the job. But as stated, he later changed the visor.

But before you take the leap, let me share my experience with you. I used a half face helmet previously (later changed to full face one when read the article by Rehaan). The older helmet had a slightly darkened visor. Though, it did help during the day, but at night, it was just not possible to ride with the dark visor. So, I used to ride with the visor open at night/ after dark.
Later bought a full face helmet with a very effective sunshade on top of the visor, which helps a lot against the sun. The visor is fully clear one and I can ride with it in dark too. Unfortunately, you cannot do much for the high beams. It is a sad torture that you will have to live with as long as people themselves do not realize.

Even my friend who has got those darkened visor cannot ride with it after dark. We went for a ride some 10 days back and it did pose problems on the highway after dark.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 14th October 2014 at 13:49.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 14:01   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The older helmet had a slightly darkened visor. Though, it did help during the day, but at night, it was just not possible to ride with the dark visor.
I thought this problem was only with the Mercury(Or is it iridium?) coated visors. Haven't used a smoked visor till date so don't how what it feels like.

That said, will the CR70 prove to be a fair compromise as girimajiananth suggested?
Old 14th October 2014, 14:05   #1464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought this problem was only with the Mercury(Or is it iridium?) coated visors. Haven't used a smoked visor till date so don't how what it feels like.

That said, will the CR70 prove to be a fair compromise as girimajiananth suggested?
I am sorry Ashwin, apart from my experience which I shared, I may not be able to help you on the query above. Frankly speaking, I dismissed all darkened visors based on my experience. I may be wrong though. I will keep an eye on the discussion going on here.

Regards,
Saket
Old 14th October 2014, 14:08   #1465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry Ashwin, apart from my experience which I shared, I may not be able to help you on the query above. Frankly speaking, I dismissed all darkened visors based on my experience. I may be wrong though. I will keep an eye on the discussion going on here.

Regards,
Saket
No problemo Saket. Your help was invaluable as is.

Hope we can reach a conclusion on this matter soon.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 21:58   #1466
BHPian

Quote:

I believe ANY visor except clear is not usable for night riding conditions, especially considering how unpredictable our roads can be. I am able to see relatively good with an iridium coated visor, heck I feel much better coming across high-beamers, since their light gets diffused considerably and there is lesser ghosting as compared to a clear visor.

However I sometimes miss the small things that can be very important, like a small but deep pothole, unmarked speed-breaker, black dog etc. I once had to ride from Belgaum to Goa at night, and had no option but to wear a dark lid. Lost my way and had to go 150kms extra, since I missed a turn somewhere that I don't even remember passing by!

Stick with clear visors for night riding, nothing else is 100% safe.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 23:58   #1467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I believe ANY visor except clear is not usable for night riding conditions, especially considering how unpredictable our roads can be.

However I sometimes miss the small things that can be very important, like a small but deep pothole, unmarked speed-breaker, black dog etc. I once had to ride from Belgaum to Goa at night, and had no option but to wear a dark lid. Lost my way and had to go 150kms extra, since I missed a turn somewhere that I don't even remember passing by!

Stick with clear visors for night riding, nothing else is 100% safe.
150km extra! Wow, making up for the mistake must've taken longer than making the mistake itself!

I agree actually. Anything apart from clear visors aren't safer. But then again, the sun gets to me. More so after coming from a helmet with a sunshade. But I am not too particular as well. I can live with it, but prefer living without it.

Either way, I am not pursuing the smoked visor too much as well. DSG will receive stock in December. Will wait it out, buy one, use both and then decide which is more suitable overall.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:17   #1468
Senior - BHPian

I think the mercury/iridium coated visors also get scratched more easily (regardless of the "hardened/coated scratch resistant" marketing spiels) and show the scratches more as well. Best compromise is to use a clear visor, and use glares within if the sun gets too strong.

On helmets, does anyone know where in Pune can I check out Vega helmets besides Pro Biker? Looking for the Axor range.
Old 18th October 2014, 20:35   #1469
BHPian

Bought a Vega helmet yesterday - CRUISER W/P BLACK, for the time being. Fits and looks ok to me. Paid Rs. 800/-.
This will be the first time I am opting for a open face helmet as I had full face helmets from 1989-99 (incidentally also from Vega). But I am still searching ..err researching on a good helmet! Not able to decide yet. Just that there are so many choices now - have confused me! Shelved Shoei/AGV for later - maybe I will source from my friends outside India.

But am also looking at MT and SOL brands. And How is the THH brand. The salesman at the shop said that it is very good, imported, DOT certified, etc. Can anyone enlighten me.
Old 18th October 2014, 23:37   #1470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
But am also looking at MT and SOL brands. And How is the THH brand. The salesman at the shop said that it is very good, imported, DOT certified, etc. Can anyone enlighten me.
I use an MT helmet. Don't remember the model. Matte black. Full face. Quite nice for 3k and change, I'd recommend it to anybody.

And please think hard about whether it is safe to go the open face route. They look very swish, but leave your chin wide open to impacts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks