Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2014, 02:24   #1471
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
But am also looking at MT and SOL brands. And How is the THH brand. The salesman at the shop said that it is very good, imported, DOT certified, etc. Can anyone enlighten me.
Been using a SOL for the past 15000 odd kms, love it. The padding is soft, unlike the HJC ones, which is useful if you wear goggles or spectacles.

However finding the helmet is a nightmare, finding visors and other parts is nearly impossible. I believe Spartan used to import this helmet, and now they've stopped. Zeus is bringing them in I think, but stocks are always gone.

Friend has been using MT for the last 1000 kms, he is quite happy. The NFC feature looks like a gimmick though, but the good thing is that helmet and visor stock is readily available.

Haven't heard good things about THH. Saw one myself at Sunshine a few months back, didn't like the level of finish. Padding feels inadequate, so does the build quality. I checked out the 3000 buck one, can't remember the name.
Old 19th October 2014, 11:10   #1472
BHPian

thanks for the inputs @Silverflash and @RiderZone.

I am looking at 2-3 helmets
1. MT revenge
2. SOL SL68s II solid black
3. One more from THH - Model not known

So still searching - researching continues.

A suggestion required on choosing a color for the helmet - i.e, I am getting ready to take delivery of a Vivid Black Superlow shortly so which color should I go for - Should I go for black or a brighter combinations. Personally I prefer a sobre plain black at my age. inputs welcome.
Old 19th October 2014, 11:12   #1473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bought a Vega helmet yesterday - CRUISER W/P BLACK, for the time being. Fits and looks ok to me. Paid Rs. 800/-.
This will be the first time I am opting for a open face helmet as I had full face helmets from 1989-99 (incidentally also from Vega). But I am still searching ..err researching on a good helmet! Not able to decide yet. Just that there are so many choices now - have confused me! Shelved Shoei/AGV for later - maybe I will source from my friends outside India.

But am also looking at MT and SOL brands. And How is the THH brand. The salesman at the shop said that it is very good, imported, DOT certified, etc. Can anyone enlighten me.
HJC is a good choice if you are willing to spend 8k odd on helmets. But their visor is very costly. 2000 rupees plus. I tried a CL17 yesterday and must say the quality of the padding and the fit is top notch.

MT helmets are best bang for the buck currently. The Scorpion model has very good fitting and visor costs are also reasonable. These are better than SOL helmets. I am using SOL for past 2 and half years and I feel MT is superior to SOL.
Old 19th October 2014, 11:28   #1474
Senior - BHPian

For all those going for A helmet for its DOT rating should bear in mind one thing - any helmet manufacturer can put a DOT compliant sticker on their lids right off the bat. It's a "self certification" where the DOT compliance is later tested by the relevant authority in the United States.

So, unless a DOT lid / helmet company has good presence in the states, I would not blindly trust it. I trust the SOL range, but not THH. No one in the US would have even heard of them

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th October 2014 at 11:30.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 11:53   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This will be the first time I am opting for a open face helmet as I had full face helmets from 1989-99 (incidentally also from Vega).
Like Silverflash, I too would strongly request you to rethink about using an open face helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
I use an MT helmet. Don't remember the model. Matte black. Full face. Quite nice for 3k and change, I'd recommend it to anybody.
Can you share a picture of your helmet? I was looking up their offerings and didnt spot anything in the 3+ K price range. There are helmets listed for Rs 4150 but the page to check their specifications is invalid. Can you check and let me know what the certification on the helmet as well? Thanks mate.
Old 19th October 2014, 12:03   #1476
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
For all those going for A helmet for its DOT rating should bear in mind one thing - any helmet manufacturer can put a DOT compliant sticker on their lids right off the bat. It's a "self certification" where the DOT compliance is later tested by the relevant authority in the United States.

So, unless a DOT lid / helmet company has good presence in the states, I would not blindly trust it. I trust the SOL range, but not THH. No one in the US would have even heard of them
Thanks for that info.

I am looking at replacing my AGV with a Vega Axor (which is the only Indian helmet that's ISI and DOT certified).
Old 19th October 2014, 12:28   #1477
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday at a bike event near Delhi, my beautiful Diesel HiJack helmet got stolen!!

http://www.diesel.com/helmets/collec...j-jmmbw-sky-78

I brought this one from my home country the Netherlands. But I'm wondering if anybody in India sells these. If tried to find them online in India, but to no avail.

Other than the fact that these are really good helmets, the color (blue/white) matches my bike colors perfectly

Anybody seen or heard of these in India

Jeroen
Old 19th October 2014, 15:38   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Can you share a picture of your helmet? I was looking up their offerings and didnt spot anything in the 3+ K price range. There are helmets listed for Rs 4150 but the page to check their specifications is invalid. Can you check and let me know what the certification on the helmet as well? Thanks mate.
Just checked with the store, mine is an MT Axiss. Having some trouble uploading photos, will try again in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks for that info.

I am looking at replacing my AGV with a Vega Axor (which is the only Indian helmet that's ISI and DOT certified).
Any specific reason you want the Vega? Just asking for information purposes... If you're open to options, I recommend MT highly. They make the shells for HJC and AGV iirc, so are pretty trustable, and their prices give great value for money.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the "Multi-Quote" feature to reply to multiple posts instead of submitting back to back posts. See this thread for more information.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th October 2014 at 13:20. Reason: Posts merged
Old 19th October 2014, 16:16   #1479
BHPian

Sorry for that.
There are Diesel stores in Delhi But not sure whether they will have these helmets.
Give a try.

Diesel - Diesel Black Gold
Emporio Mall, Shop No. 232, 1st Floor, Emporio Mall, Vasant Kunj, Delhi 110070
(+91) 11 40523915

Diesel - Ambience Mall (Delhi)
Shop No. UG 12-13-23-24, Upper Ground Floor, Ambience Mall, Nelson Mandela Marg, Vasant Kunj, Phase II, New Delhi 110070
(+91) 11 40870072

If manage to get one pls post here so that others can buy if interested
SDRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2014, 18:56   #1480
BHPian

Photos of my MT Axiss matte black helmet.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20141019_131609.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20141019_131657.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-20141019_131554.jpg  

Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 00:44   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at 2-3 helmets
1. MT revenge
2. SOL SL68s II solid black
3. One more from THH - Model not known

So still searching - researching continues.

A suggestion required on choosing a color for the helmet - i.e, I am getting ready to take delivery of a Vivid Black Superlow shortly so which color should I go for - Should I go for black or a brighter combinations. Personally I prefer a sobre plain black at my age. inputs welcome.
Good luck finding the SOL! I have the SL68s II Metal Man, have reviewed it on my website too, extremely happy with it.

Helmet is the highest point on a biker, and the thing most likely to be noticed by other people on the road. Always stick with bright coloured, easily distinguishable helmets. As cool as black looks, you would be more or less invisible at night
Old 20th October 2014, 01:57   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that info.

The axor looks great. But my standard concern whilst buying these Indian made helmets remain - the sizing

Apparently, the smallest in can go in an axor is 58 cms. My head circumference comes in at just under 56 cms. All the certifications in the world don't mean diddly when the helmet does not fit right
Old 20th October 2014, 08:19   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I thought this problem was only with the Mercury(Or is it iridium?) coated visors. Haven't used a smoked visor till date so don't how what it feels like.
Quote:
I think the mercury/iridium coated visors also get scratched more easily (regardless of the "hardened/coated scratch resistant" marketing spiels) and show the scratches more as well. Best compromise is to use a clear visor, and use glares within if the sun gets too strong.
Iridium coating is just for show - it does not add any tint or protection.

On the topic of tinted visors, my suomy comes with a iridium tinted visor with a very unique golden tint. In the day, it looks a bit weird though but in the evenings, it actually improves visibility! darker areas are much more clearer with everything looking golden/yellow.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141017_111934001.jpg

Visor tint. White paper for comparision

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141017_125722001.jpg

Edges look purple rather than gold. Cool!

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20141017_111843001.jpg

I have started using the Suomy again as a daily lid since a week and realised how much the AGV K4 Evo is a downgrade over this. Having itchy fingers to sell off the AGV now
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 08:28   #1484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are Diesel stores in Delhi But not sure whether they will have these helmets. Give a try.
Thanks, but like you said, I dont think they do helmets, more like clothes, watches and such. Will have to get a new one next time I go back home
Jeroen

Note from Support - please avoid quoting an entire post as it inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th October 2014 at 13:28. Reason: quoted text shortened
Old 20th October 2014, 09:34   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Sharing pix of two LS2 lids; one with BT by default and other one is Carbon fibre. 12k & 14k respectively.
Available with Helmet World, Trivandrum. They are in fb too and if you need any help, do ping me.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20141011_12_13_18_pro-large.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20141011_12_13_24_pro-large.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20141011_12_13_56_pro-large.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20141011_12_14_00_pro-large.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20141011_12_14_07_pro-large.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 20th October 2014 at 09:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks