Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 17:04   #1501
BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Do we get replacements for the Vega Axor? like inner visors, interior linings and exhaust vents. External visors are available as per their website.
I did not get a chance to see this helmet when I bought my Vega Cruiser 3 days back. I was short of time and hence so.
I am favoring a white colored lid, so that i can add colored reflectors later on if required.

By the way, I saw a new arrival on the Vega website - called the Verve. - looks stunning but no details were available (will check again when I have a good net connection). Any inputs on this model is welcome.
Old 20th October 2014, 17:06   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
That's an interesting perspective from which to view the helmet coloring issue. Nobody has really explained it before this, so thanks for taking the time to do so.

I'm still not convinced, mind you, but I'm not entirely skeptical either. I'm aware of certain colors being harder to spot from a distance than others, but I didn't think that a helmet's visibility would make as much difference as the visibility of your lights, on-bike reflectors or riding gear. Food for thought, for sure. Maybe I'll supplement my wife's and my current helmets (both matte black) with white or chromed or brightly colored ones.

Thanks again!
You are most welcome.

Its not only about the color. Its about a single "unbroken" color.

That is why a solid single color helmet in a light/bright color will be more visible to the naked human eye than a helmet with the same color but with a lot of graphics.

Again, scientifically proven.

And its not just about the human eye being able to see when its TRYING to see. But more about the human eye spotting in its vision field when its simply scanning and NOT actively looking for something.

That is where a MOVING SINGLE UNBROKEN LIGHT/BRIGHT COLORED OBJECT has the maximum chance of being spotted against the background visual signals.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:12   #1503
Senior - BHPian

Here is the research article I was referring to.

I am adding the most relevant part of the study below:

The main colors of helmet reported by control drivers were black (39.8%), white (30.6%), and red (13.8%).

Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99).

We found similar associations for red and a combined group of yellow and orange helmets, although these did not achieve standard levels of statistical significance. Self nominated description of “light colored” helmet compared with “dark colored” helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk.

Hope this clarifies.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:12   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Helmet visibility is not only about riding at night. In fact far from it. Equally if not more so it is about long distance visibility in the daytime.

Try spotting a rider in your rear view mirrors with a dark colored helmet.

Now try the same with a bright / light colored one.

In fact, more often than not the rider bulk and the bike bulk merge into a single whole while on the move to the human eye. Front or back on the color of the bike hardly if ever makes a difference.

Its the helmet which remains the most visible unit. Unless you're wearing a flaming yellow jacket as well ......
Thats an interesting point and we all know that visibility jackets are always either orange or flouroscent green

But, I still dont accept the fact that even helmet should also be visible to be even more safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I don't get what is funny about this to you. I'm yet to see someone go haha hehe to the hospital.
What your suggesting is to wear a reflective

Riding Jacket
Riding Pants
Riding Shoes
AND, a helmet
Not to mention, some strips of reflective material on the bike is usually given

That sounds like Nicholas Cage from the movie "Ghost Rider"

If your so paranoid of being safe, why ride at night? Infact, if you thinking going overboard by taking such safety precaution is the best way to ride then why even ride? It's way safer to enjoy MotoGP on TV

Iam not taking safety lightly at all but, some advice on this thread comes across as funny to me just because of this reason (going overboard with safety precautions)
Old 20th October 2014, 17:18   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Avi, you don't have to be convinced. There is enough scientifically proven FACT out there which says the same.

A helmet is like a beacon on top of a vehicle.

Short of riding with a flashing police/ambulance style beacon afixed atop your helmet, having a solid white one is the best way of making sure motorists see you even when they are not trying to against the background of the highway and scenery and vehicular traffic.

And again please let me repeat.

The reflective strips are for nighttime riding.

The color of the helmet comes into play mainly in the day time. In full light and visibility.

Because people can SEE you even when they are not LOOKING.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:21   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
But, I still dont accept the fact that even helmet should also be visible to be even more safe
My POV. Why just be safe when you can be safer!
Old 20th October 2014, 17:25   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Here is the research article I was referring to.
That's good stuff there - thanks for the share, Aditya!

Both you and ebonho have given me some food for thought. I've always been very particular about any serious rider wearing a full face helmet nd not a half-face one, but I guess I've never really thought about added visibility due to unbroken bright or light colors.

On balance, I think I will stay with our current helmets, but get my sister to customize some artwork on them with reflective material. And for our next helmets, bright colors it is!
Old 20th October 2014, 17:30   #1508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Short of riding with a flashing police/ambulance style beacon afixed atop your helmet, having a solid white one is the best way of making sure motorists see you even when they are not trying to against the background of the highway and scenery and vehicular traffic.

And again please let me repeat.

The reflective strips are for nighttime riding.

The color of the helmet comes into play mainly in the day time. In full light and visibility.

Well, I have followed this advice unknowingly of getting a colorful AGV K3 Rossi Helmet but, I never bought the helmet to be "Visible"

However, I did buy my "flaming yellow" jacket to be exactly what its supposed to do. Be visible

Iam not completely refuting the points but, only suggesting that being safe via riding gear is only that much you can do. in my definition safety includes many more parameters like when your riding, how your riding, are you riding beyond your capabilities, risk appetite and plenty more such things that can cause or save you from an accident

Sorry for going OT !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyadassi View Post
My POV. Why just be safe when you can be safer!
Ofcourse, I choose neither being safe nor safer. I love being "Safest"
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2014, 17:46   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRam View Post
Do we get replacements for the Vega Axor? like inner visors, interior linings and exhaust vents. External visors are available as per their website.
I don't think the Axor has the internal visor/pilot goggle like their Boolean or the Studds Shifter. Does it?

It was not there on any of those I tried on or saw, so asking. It would be great if the inner cheek pads at least were sold separately. They (a new set) can do wonders for restoring the fit of a compressed used now loose helmet.

P.S. While on Vega, their website shows jackets as well. CE "approved" armor and "articulated triple density back protector". Has anyone here checked these out? The red, white, and black looks pretty nice.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th October 2014 at 17:51.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:27   #1510
BHPian

Update regarding Verve from Vega:
They are releasing it in 2-3 days time. For festival season.
To cost around Rs.1,300/-
(I called up their customer care in the evening)
Looks to be pretty good one with a rarely seen colour
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-green.jpg  

SDRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 09:04   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the bottom line is that the customers who bought helmets of the replaced brand are now left high and dry trying to arrange for replacement visors
This happened to me even with a brand as popular as LS2. I wanted a new visor and could not get one. The helmet was two years old. The dealer still sold LS2 but did not have the correct visor meant for the helmet model I had. That is when I decided no more imported stuff. I now have a Studds. Its not a good as the LS2 but when it comes to spares, there is never a problem.

I am now looking for the same helmet as you are, the Vega Axor. Looks like a really nice lid for not a lot of dough. Emailed Vega on availability for plain white. Lets see what they say.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 10:47   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am now looking for the same helmet as you are, the Vega Axor. Looks like a really nice lid for not a lot of dough. Emailed Vega on availability for plain white. Lets see what they say.
Ya the plain white looks really neat ..... that and the Red Bull one (though their Red Bull motocross versions in white and black are even better).

I'm wondering, is there any problem with wearing those peaked motocross helmets on the street/highway rides? Is the wind noise more? Does the peak cause more wind buffeting at high speed?
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 13:31   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm wondering, is there any problem with wearing those peaked motocross helmets on the street/highway rides?
I have never understood the purpose of the extended peak on a motocross helmet. What does it serve or do over a regular helmet?

One thing is for sure, your face will be more exposed to the elements cause you can't get a full visor on these lids.
Old 21st October 2014, 14:36   #1514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But doc, what about the additional 20 Horsepower a black helmet adds? 30, if its matte black!!!

I recently purchased a helmet in "Hi-Viz" colour. I think the principle is that the colour is so darn irritating to the eye that it attracts attention. Hi-Viz clothing is now considered fashionable too, all thanks to a Mr Rossi

But I am not fully convinced. I like your example of "try spotting a rider in your rear view ........" but would riding with your lights on not be a better way to get spotted? I mean, if someone cannot see a bright light (even during day time) in their mirrors then I dont know how much good would other measures do

All else being equal, if I had to make a choice between picking a helmet with the safe / high viz colours or a helmet that has a colour / graphic scheme that is just plain ZAXY, I would go for the latter
Old 21st October 2014, 15:33   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya the plain white looks really neat ..... that and the Red Bull one (though their Red Bull motocross versions in white and black are even better).

I'm wondering, is there any problem with wearing those peaked motocross helmets on the street/highway rides? Is the wind noise more? Does the peak cause more wind buffeting at high speed?
Yes Doc - these peaks do create problems during triple digit speeds. I had one (MPA make, open face) and used to face resistance when I move my face up or down when I am doing good speeds and when caught in cross winds. The upside is, it will resist some amount of rain falling on your face, so if you like to ride with visor open in rains, these helmets will offer some comfort.

One more irritant I faced is, the peak gets loose if the helmet have a short falls\ bumps (I am not talking about falls you take when riding, but the helmet accidentally falling down from table or from some where you have kept the helmet).

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks