Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 08:53   #1576
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup89 View Post
hi everyone... i am a newbie.. please help me decide..
ls2 vs kyt vs mt.???? which brand is better?
please send me links to the models under INR4000
thanks in anticipation..

Among your choices,MT is the best.MT Axxis would fit your budget. Check the spartan pro gear website for more details. I would not buy LS2 because of the high chances of getting a fake one . I would not touch KYT since it does not have a parent company. Google searches lead to DSG only. Looks like they are pulling out another Daijya !
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 13:03   #1577
BHPian

Guys I have shortlisted this helmet and intend to place the order later today , wish to verify all the same that I am getting a good value for money product as my knowledge regarding safety benchmark is severely limited .

Helmet - MT revenge tricolor (DOT , ECE , SHARP 5 approved - all good ? ) 5150/-

Helmet - MT axxis ( DOT , ECE approved ) 4150/-

Is the tricolor worth the extra 1K ?

Also those with experience of purchasing MT helmet , do you get the size as per your crown measurement or one size above . I wear prescription glasses.

For example my measurement is 57.5cm , I understand large starts from 58 or 59cm . My previous helmet I still opted for large and found it to be a perfect fit , I would rather gamble on a little loose than uncomfortably tight though perfect fit is always desirable .

some photos of the tricolor -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...5d685f74925dbc

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...094151683b6ccf

Last edited by basuroy : 2nd December 2014 at 13:14.
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:42   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Guys I have shortlisted this helmet and intend to place the order later today , wish to verify all the same that I am getting a good value for money product as my knowledge regarding safety benchmark is severely limited .

Helmet - MT revenge tricolor (DOT , ECE , SHARP 5 approved - all good ? ) 5150/-

]
The Revenge is good and I've been quite happy with it. Some of my friends have been using the Axxis for a while and their reviews are also good. You can't go wrong with both of them at this price range. The color is a personal choice, man

Only thing about MT helmets is that they have a non conventional shape for the outer shell.

The showroom guy had taken the measurement with a tape, so I'm not sure about that part. I would recommend that any day, followed by you wearing it for a while and walking around a bit (a short ride if the showroom allows?).

Last edited by anilp : 2nd December 2014 at 14:46.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:41   #1579
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post

Is the tricolor worth the extra 1K ?

Also those with experience of purchasing MT helmet , do you get the size as per your crown measurement or one size above . I wear prescription glasses.

For example my measurement is 57.5cm , I understand large starts from 58 or 59cm . My previous helmet I still opted for large and found it to be a perfect fit , I would rather gamble on a little loose than uncomfortably tight though perfect fit is always desirable .

some photos of the tricolor -

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...5d685f74925dbc

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...094151683b6ccf
For size go by whatever size the manufacturer mentions on his website. Nothing high nothing low.

And extra money is definitely worth the since the Revenge is 5 star sharp rated! Go for it
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:57   #1580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
For size go by whatever size the manufacturer mentions on his website. Nothing high nothing low.

And extra money is definitely worth the since the Revenge is 5 star sharp rated! Go for it
Actually, I'm in the EXACT same dilemma as him. Axxis vs Revenge(leaning towards revenge). The only problem is, my head measurement is 56.5cm and according to the size chart, Small is 55-56cm while Medium is 57-58cm. I don't have the option to try it on since that would involve interstate travel
What would you recommend? Small or medium?
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:08   #1581
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhalDrogo View Post
Actually, I'm in the EXACT same dilemma as him. Axxis vs Revenge(leaning towards revenge). The only problem is, my head measurement is 56.5cm and according to the size chart, Small is 55-56cm while Medium is 57-58cm. I don't have the option to try it on since that would involve interstate travel
Go for Medium since small size range of 55-56 falls outside your head size.

And i would go for Revenge model anyday. 5 star sharp rating helmet @ 5K is no brainer!
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:13   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Go for Medium since small size range of 55-56 falls outside your head size.

And i would go for Revenge model anyday. 5 star sharp rating helmet @ 5K is no brainer!
Yes sir, the 5 star sharp rating is well worth it.
Sir, won't medium rated upto 58cm be too lose though? Half centimeter too tight or 2cm too lose. That was my only concern since returning the helmet for an exchange would be cumbersome.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:22   #1583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sir, the 5 star sharp rating is well worth it.
Sir, won't medium rated upto 58cm be too lose though? Half centimeter too tight or 2cm too lose. That was my only concern since returning the helmet for an exchange would be cumbersome.
Hmmm true. Don't you have an option of trying out in Panjim? I know it is difficult to judge size by website size. And loose helmet is of no use
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:24   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm true. Don't you have an option of trying out in Panjim? I know it is difficult to judge size by website size. And loose helmet is of no use
Nope. Mostly Vega or Studds. KYT is available, but have gotten mixed reviews of the brand so far, so not willing to risk it.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:35   #1585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Mostly Vega or Studds. KYT is available, but have gotten mixed reviews of the brand so far, so not willing to risk it.
Write a mail to SPG mentioning your head size. They will be able to tell you the size you should buy in Revenge.Based on their reply you can take a call. Dont go by the size chart on their website. It is still for the SOL helmet sizes. They have not updated it
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:40   #1586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Standard rule whilst buying helmets - If you are at the cusp / in between sizes, always go a size down. The helmet will break in, get looser and accomodate your head better

A loose fitting helmet will never be protective enough
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:41   #1587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
The Revenge is good and I've been quite happy with it. Some of my friends have been using the Axxis for a while and their reviews are also good. You can't go wrong with both of them at this price range. The color is a personal choice, man

Only thing about MT helmets is that they have a non conventional shape for the outer shell.

The showroom guy had taken the measurement with a tape, so I'm not sure about that part. I would recommend that any day, followed by you wearing it for a while and walking around a bit (a short ride if the showroom allows?).
I am at Bareilly , took me 4 shops before I found a studds as my very first helmet Agree with you that nothing comes close to personally trying out the goods .

Quote:
Definitely medium .

My first(and only) online helmet purchase was a fasttrack half face(visor ) . My head measurement is 57.5cm , Large starts from 59 but I still opted for large and after 8 months of use , it not only fits snugly but I have to take off my glasses before putting the helmet on . It is not a 100% fit and only slightly , very slightly on the loose side but I feel a size smaller would have been impossible to wear . First day I recall feeling even large was too tight though that will be the case with any new helmet .

Purchasing online means we have to take these risks on fit , my own preference is to gamble slightly on the loose end than uncomfortably tight end even if it compromises on safety - my reasoning being if I am always uncomfortable with the lid on , that will distract me more . Take all this just as an alternate opinion , don't go for large as you are on the lower end of medium and hence easier for you to make the call .

Last edited by basuroy : 2nd December 2014 at 17:44.
basuroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:43   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
Avoid KYT. Some of my friends have it. Quality is not as good.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 17:50   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Standard rule whilst buying helmets - If you are at the cusp / in between sizes, always go a size down. The helmet will break in, get looser and accomodate your head better

A loose fitting helmet will never be protective enough
Yeah. That's what I've heard too. Have you ever had any experience buying a size lower than your measurement? If so, how was it? My reasoning is half cm too tight will loosen up, but a helmet rated as 57-58 will always be too loose for me.
Old 2nd December 2014, 20:32   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My reasoning is half cm too tight will loosen up, but a helmet rated as 57-58 will always be too loose for me.
And you are correct with your reasoning. as a matter of fact, I purchased a size small Bell RS 1 helmet recently. The sizing chart puts me in a medium. And I am a medium in most helmets

But when I got the size Medium lid, it felt a bit loose. Did not feel it to be snug enough. Went a size down to a "small" - Am a happy camper

A loose helmet, like the one Basuroy describes above would be supremely annoying at highway speeds. It will buffet a lot, head checks would almost pull your neck off of your shoulders, wind noise will be at least double of what you would encounter in a snug fitting lid. The situation gets bleaker when you figure in a possible crash scenario. A lid that does not stay in place in case of an impact, will NOT protect you. Period!

I repeat, standard rule - when in doubt, go a size down.

And just to add to your confusion, hope you are considering helmet's headshape as well

All the best
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks