Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2014, 21:30   #1606
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post

Safest to buy at least one spare visor when you buy the helmet. That way you will not be left in the lurch, since getting visor replacements is not always guaranteed even if you are buying a generic brand. This applies irrespective of whether you buy a Studds/Vega or premium exotica.

i am currently on my 7th visor in 2 and half years using the SOL helmet. The visor would break at the hinges or would have become very scratched. Hence the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@Sagar - the big brands also sell spare visors , clear, tinted, iridium coated. It's just that the cost of the visors seems to rise proportionate to the helmet. An INR 2000 helmet like Vega has an INR 400 visor, an INR 4000 helmet like my MT has an INR 800 visor and an INR 20000 helmet has an INR 4000 visor (AGV, Shoei or such).
I know all brands sell visors. Say you bought a bell helmet in a sale. And due to some reason the visor cracked up. How do you manage to procure replacement? Also visors get scratches very easily since they are not hard coated.

My concern is not with brands available in India. But the exotic imports one makes when there are close out deals
Old 15th December 2014, 21:44   #1607
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Say you bought a bell helmet in a sale. And due to some reason the visor cracked up. How do you manage to procure replacement? Also visors get scratches very easily since they are not hard coated. My concern is not with brands available in India. But the exotic imports one makes when there are close out deals
Truth is that it's difficult to get replacement visors unless if it's popular yet higher priced brands like HJC (I'm not sure of Bell helmets' visor availability in India). So buy at least a couple of spare visors along with the helmet when you pick up one from abroad. Works out cheaper as well. The good part is that most of these helmet visors seem to have be more scratch resistive than the local brands.

Even if you do find guys who are selling these in India, you are stuck to the whims and fancies of the distributors/importers. Due to economics considerations, these folks will only import something if there's numbers and the resultant margins. There's high probability of being a significant cost markup (some of these visors available in India start from Rs 1500 and upwards for a single clear visor).

Hopefully, Flipkart and Amazon will get into the sales of these brands. They already have a fair amount of local brands and imports like LS2 online now. I'm hoping that brands like Bell, HJC and others will be available online soon. HJC for one is an affair of waiting for the quarterly (or longer) import cycles of the distributor in Mumbai at the moment. Even then, there's no guarantee that you'll get the one you want.
Old 15th December 2014, 22:11   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i am currently on my 7th visor in 2 and half years using the SOL helmet. The visor would break at the hinges or would have become very scratched. Hence the question.
Wow that is some wear and tear for SOL visors. How much have you spent on the visors in total? I convinced my friend to buy a SOL helmet a few years ago and the visor got scratched in no time. I was rather surprised but put it down to probable rough use. My KBC helmet's visor (helmet bought in the US) took years of usage with no real problems as such. Definitely a difference in quality of manufacturing.
Old 15th December 2014, 23:13   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Picked up a White MT Revenge in Limited Evo graphics, size L, from Megha Enterprises, Lalbagh today. Picked up a visor as well and a total of Rs 4900 well spent.
Coming from a GPR, the MT feels very light and airy; though I need to get used to the slightly different field of view.

Edit: Picked up the non-NFC model retailing for 4150 Rs.
Terrific!

I didn't know the MT Revenge was also sold without the NFC. The 5 stars SHARP rating definitely gives it the edge over the MT Axxis (3 stars) for the same cost.

Any idea about the other colours that were available? Me and a friend are getting one from Megha Enterprises this Saturday. For a red Maestro. Any black or red options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Any recommendations for a helmet for daily use - in the price range of 3k to 3.5k?
I suggest you push the budget by Rs. 600 more and get the MT Revenge without NFC for Rs. 4150. With a 5 star SHARP rating, DOT certification, it's the best helmet one can buy on a budget.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 15th December 2014 at 23:33.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 00:13   #1610
BHPian

There is an MT revenge without NFC for 1k less ?

I am not doubting the information but while going through the catalog of the MOTO 101 store (Pune ) , I came across an AXXIS in the exact same paint/graphic scheme as the revenge but for 4150 . I was confused of course how the same helmet visually can be listed under 2 different range/price but was told that is indeed the case .

Make sure before buying , you don't confuse the AXXIS as a Revenge .

The key visual difference are the vents , even from the side profile shot , the rear vents are clearly different from my revenge and even the front upper looks different . Graphics are exact same , zero difference .

Here is the AXXIS in limited evo graphics scheme as listed at the MOTO 101 store .

Last edited by basuroy : 16th December 2014 at 00:15.
Old 16th December 2014, 05:55   #1611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Wow that is some wear and tear for SOL visors. How much have you spent on the visors in total? I convinced my friend to buy a SOL helmet a few years ago and the visor got scratched in no time. I was rather surprised but put it down to probable rough use. My KBC helmet's visor (helmet bought in the US) took years of usage with no real problems as such. Definitely a difference in quality of manufacturing.
Yup SOL visor quality is mediocre. Each one costs 750 bucks. Even after taking care to use high quality micro fiber cloths it gets scratches. I am fed up with it.

Looks like sub standard quality dished out to India since I have not heard anything problem from users of Gmax
Old 16th December 2014, 07:58   #1612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I think helmets are unisex. For women the customization must be on the colors and flowers whereas the rest should remain the same.

Go with something that protects the head more than convenience.
Planning to go for a full face as safety comes first before style. Most of the ladies helmet i have seen are half face so the question arised whether helmets are unisex.
Mine and wife head circumference matches size S. Unfortunately couldn't find any on web. Will go to a store to get one. Any brands should i look for?
Old 16th December 2014, 09:14   #1613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yup SOL visor quality is mediocre. Each one costs 750 bucks. Even after taking care to use high quality micro fiber cloths it gets scratches. I am fed up with it.

Looks like sub standard quality dished out to India since I have not heard anything problem from users of Gmax
Wow thats Rs 5250 just on visors alone which must be around what you paid for the SOL helmet. I have heard that SOL visors arent in stock nowadays. You know why. Are you planning to switch helmets? Or planning on getting a GMax vior from abroad? I went in for an HJC recently cause I knew that visors are available in India now and worst case if they stop getting imported I can always ask someone to pick it up for me from the US when they fly down.

With MT helmets being the flavour of the season in India and not a very popular brand abroad (at least to the best of my limited knowledge) I would strongly recommend all buyers to forward plan and get a visor or two cause you can never tell how the winds blow in our Indian helmet market.
Old 16th December 2014, 09:28   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Wow thats Rs 5250 just on visors alone which must be around what you paid for the SOL helmet. I have heard that SOL visors arent in stock nowadays. You know why. Are you planning to switch helmets? Or planning on getting a GMax vior from abroad? I went in for an HJC recently cause I knew that visors are available in India now and worst case if they stop getting imported I can always ask someone to pick it up for me from the US when they fly down.

With MT helmets being the flavour of the season in India and not a very popular brand abroad (at least to the best of my limited knowledge) I would strongly recommend all buyers to forward plan and get a visor or two cause you can never tell how the winds blow in our Indian helmet market.

Yea i know that is big money just on visor. I had paid 5K for the helmet!
SOL visors are in stock . The dealers who are selling the visors/hemlets have changed though. All earlier SOL dealers now stock MT due to their association with Spartan Pro Gear.And new dealers have been allocated to SOL. The main distributor is in Mumbai whose details are available in the SOL website. Bangalore has a dealer just opposite Megha Enterprises - AH helmets

No i am going to stick with locally available visor. Importing is not a viable option.
Old 16th December 2014, 14:59   #1615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Terrific!

I didn't know the MT Revenge was also sold without the NFC. The 5 stars SHARP rating definitely gives it the edge over the MT Axxis (3 stars) for the same cost.

Any idea about the other colours that were available? Me and a friend are getting one from Megha Enterprises this Saturday. For a red Maestro. Any black or red options?
Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
There is an MT revenge without NFC for 1k less ?

I am not doubting the information but while going through the catalog of the MOTO 101 store (Pune ) , I came across an AXXIS in the exact same paint/graphic scheme as the revenge but for 4150 .
Sorry and Thanks for the correction.
I stand corrected. The one I bought does look like the AXXIS and not Revenge, as I had posted earlier.
Old 16th December 2014, 17:17   #1616
BHPian

Have used a SOL SL68SII Metal man for more than a year and 31000 kms, haven't changed the visor till now. The original clear visor is still in use, and bought an iridium one for 1100 bucks (AH Helmets) for those long day rides.

Yes it's a pain to find parts for SOL helmets, but I'm quite happy as far as the quality goes! I always clean my visors by rinsing them with water first, and then using a fresh piece of tissue to wipe off the bugs and dust. Has worked well till now!
Old 21st December 2014, 23:11   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Bought an MT Axxis for a friend this Saturday from Megha Enterprises. The experience was very pleasant. Costed Rs. 4150. We also bought a balaclava for Rs. 300 from the same place.

A bad place to be for a person like me because I feel like buying so many things!

They also gave us 2 helmet caps(the underwear with no holes kind), a pen(from Vega!) and a keychain(some local one) free! So all that I wrote in brackets is now void!

They also said that we could come back and exchange the helmet if we didn't like it.
Old 22nd December 2014, 00:39   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Bought a Studds helmet from the Honda service station this week for that once in a blue moon ride.

Type: Full face
Price: 802
Old 26th December 2014, 12:21   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Bought a AGV K4 Evo helmet from Dianese store at Orion mall in Bangalore. I am currently using MT Axis and Ls2 helmets. The padding of AGV is very comfortable and helmet is lightweight, comes with Fiberglass shell construction. Paid Rs. 19999. I do not find the price high, as the same helmet online in international sites comes to around $275. Have not started using it, intend to use it only on long rides, which is rare nowadays.

Dianese store is a good option for getting quality riding gears in Bangalore. The variety of items is good. As expected, the price is high for some items like gloves and mesh jackets.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 26th December 2014 at 12:26.
PatienceWins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th December 2014, 12:41   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Bought a Studds helmet from the Honda service station this week for that once in a blue moon ride.

Type: Full face
Price: 802
Once in a blue moon ride or everyday, I would recommend a better helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Bought a AGV K4 Evo helmet from Dianese store at Orion mall in Bangalore. I am currently using MT Axis and Ls2 helmets. The padding of AGV is very comfortable and helmet is lightweight, comes with Fiberglass shell construction. Paid Rs. 19999. I do not find the price high, as the same helmet online in international sites comes to around $275. Have not started using it, intend to use it only on long rides, which is rare nowadays.

Dianese store is a good option for getting quality riding gears in Bangalore. The variety of items is good. As expected, the price is high for some items like gloves and mesh jackets.
The AGV helmets are very nice. My friends use it and their helmets were priced at 16k to 18k, so if you got it from the official store for 20k its really great. You can use it as an everyday helmet as well, don't restrict the use to just long rides.

Dainese, Alpinestars are expensive brands for gear, but the comfort and safety is very good. Depending on the model the price will be high. I paid 6k and 4k for rjays (full and half) gloves, 8k for alpinestars half gloves and 8k for Ixon full gloves.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed