Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2015, 11:15   #1741
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post

I was hoping to find a helmet that flows air well. The problem with most helmets is that they're not designed for Indian humidity.

Anything else that flows air well and would be comfortable in traffic?
Before you plonk down your hard earned cash, do make a note of the laws involved here - in this case, the laws of physics.

No helmet vent will pass any air unless you are at a minimum speed of 50 - 60 kmph. Please be wary of any marketing fluff which promises you a helmet that flows air well in Indian traffic conditions.

(disclaimer: my reference to a helmet in this case is a full face one, with a proper safety certification - DOT, ECE or SNELL and I take Indian traffic conditions to mean average speeds of 30 - 40kmph)
outofthebox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:17   #1742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Before you plonk down your hard earned cash, do make a note of the laws involved here - in this case, the laws of physics.

No helmet vent will pass any air unless you are at a minimum speed of 50 - 60 kmph. Please be wary of any marketing fluff which promises you a helmet that flows air well in Indian traffic conditions.

(disclaimer: my reference to a helmet in this case is a full face one, with a proper safety certification - DOT, ECE or SNELL and I take Indian traffic conditions to mean average speeds of 30 - 40kmph)
This is what I wanted to figure out. There's a case for a bladeless fan in a helmet just waiting to be exploited no?
Old 2nd June 2015, 12:44   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
This is what I wanted to figure out. There's a case for a bladeless fan in a helmet just waiting to be exploited no?
Ha Ha yes one is sorely needed! One day for sure. But in the meanwhile, as a fellow Btwin rider, let me share my secrets of riding & cycling in the wonderful heat of Delhi:

Sometimes I use this inside my helmet, with portions exposed just enough outside the edges of helmet to facilitate evaporation but avoid high speed flapping.

Does a fantastic job of sucking the heat out since it is designed to work at cycling speeds. But it will not win you any fashion awards:

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-81myzalu92l._sl1500_.jpg

Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Evaporative, Cooling, Snap Towel

Secondly, I do have a Alpinestar mesh jacket but I find that this one is cooler and more comfy at lower speeds in hot humid conditions. Fully CE rated and can be used during extreme cycling outings too. The only catch, one has to wear a cotton shirt or tee over it. I purchased it from the OTG store in your city:

Old 5th June 2015, 18:23   #1744
BHPian

I recently ordered a Biltwell Matt Black 3/4 helmet with bubble shield.

its really light , DOT certified and looks great. here is a link. http://www.lucky2strokes.com/Product...nza_flat_black

its a bit expensive but worth it. its available on e-bay.
Old 10th June 2015, 23:24   #1745
BHPian

@ krcustoms - is this or similar product available in store anywhere in India?
Guys in Pune any place where I can find bubble glass visor helmet?
Old 16th June 2015, 17:30   #1746
BHPian

This weekend's ride saw me riding in rains for the first time. I was completely blinded because of the rain drops on visor and the light of oncoming vehicles reflecting off it. It was so difficult that I had to open the visor and brave the lashing rains on my specs and face.

Question is: Is there any solution to this? Fogging issue I did not face since air was circulating very well. Wiping the visor everytime also did not help.
Old 16th June 2015, 17:42   #1747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
This weekend's ride saw me riding in rains for the first time. I was completely blinded because of the rain drops on visor and the light of oncoming vehicles reflecting off it. It was so difficult that I had to open the visor and brave the lashing rains on my specs and face.

Question is: Is there any solution to this? Fogging issue I did not face since air was circulating very well. Wiping the visor everytime also did not help.
I face this issue while riding as well. Safest thing to do is to reduce speed to a level where you are not straining your eyes to see ahead of you.

I keep the visor slightly open to avoid fogging despite quite a few vents in my SparX helmet.

Avoid applying any kind of polish on the visor. Oncoming headlights will cause more issues with polish on the visor.

A clean visor makes it easier to ride in the rain. I wash the visor with plain water and mild detergent and dry it off with a chamois leather or a microfiber towel. Just wipe the water droplets off the visor and you can ride comfortably. It won't be droplet free but you can still ride at a comfortable pace. BTW, I've not changed the visor since the past 5 years of buying the helmet. A little care goes a long way in keeping the visor clean and scratch free. Carrying it in a helmet bag reduces the chances of the visor getting scratched.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 17:43   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Buy sachets of "Raincoat Pro" and "Fogtech" from motosolutions. Apply a film Fogtech inside the visor, and Raincoat outside it. Then rain/misting will no longer be an annoyance.

You can buy online, and they ship in document envelopes, so no hassles on importing.

One sachet lasts for around 10 coating or so. One coating lasts for 2-3 rains/fog instances. Each sachet is less than $1.

Everything else (thumb wiper etc and similar jugaads) are useless. These gels are very effective. Even in heavy rain or fog, you can see crystal clear. Note that this only works on polycarbonate surfaces, so car owners - don't get any ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I face this issue while riding as well.
For you too. Actually I have some lying around at home, so feel free to pick it up anytime. I barely have any time on my hands now, no riding or anything else for at least another year till my start-up breaks even.

Last edited by Kamen_rider : 16th June 2015 at 17:45.
Kamen_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 19:12   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was hoping to find a helmet that flows air well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post

Agree with Outofthebox - no full face helmet will have a good airflow in traffic - the only way is to ride with visor up, wearing glasses.

--Anoop
Old 19th June 2015, 13:48   #1750

I measured my head above the eyebrows and it is about 61 cm. Is that the right way to measure? For the record, all XL helmets that I tried in the store were too snug to be comfortable. I have bought a "temporary" lid... but I need to get a better one ASAP! I am a little wary of buying anything online, because a) Size fit of different brands might be different, b) Return policies suck. Are there any good helmet shops in and around Pune that I could step in and try stuff? (Recently relocated, hence, I have no clue).
Old 19th June 2015, 14:36   #1751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshumodi View Post
Are there any good helmet shops in and around Pune that I could step in and try stuff? (Recently relocated, hence, I have no clue).
There is one at camp, just beside the Cambridge showroom. Diagonally opposite the Fotofast shops. Do not remember the name though. Have heard good things about this place. Has got a lot of variety when I last visited it when I bought an Enfield around 6 years back.

It is a one stop shop for the RE riding members and has got almost everything a biker needs in his riding gear.
Old 19th June 2015, 15:07   #1752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshumodi View Post
I measured my head above the eyebrows and it is about 61 cm. Is that the right way to measure?
That is one part of the measurement but the other part which most manufacturers shy away from talking about is the shape - oval, medium oval, long oval and so on. If this info is not available then the only way is to try out the helmet in person before making the purchase.

I took a thin aluminium wire and wrapped it around my head over the eye brows, basically the longest part of the head. I scanned the shape, unfolded it and measured the length. I always mail the image to the online store before I confirm the purchase - most are able to see the shape and tell me if a particular helmet will fit my head or not. If they can't then I move on to the next store. Have ordered 4 helmets from online stores this way over the past few years. Never have had to return a single one due to fitment issues.
Name:  MyHeadMeasurement.png
Views: 2783
Size:  96.0 KB

This video is very helpful in understanding helmet measurements and fitment issues:
Old 19th June 2015, 23:03   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
There is one at camp, just beside the Cambridge showroom. Diagonally opposite the Fotofast shops. Do not remember the name though. Have heard good things about this place. Has got a lot of variety when I last visited it when I bought an Enfield around 6 years back.

It is a one stop shop for the RE riding members and has got almost everything a biker needs in his riding gear.
The shop's name is Probiker. AVOID IT UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES. The owner is a young fellow who has the gift of the gab & makes the most of it for his personal gain. I have bought stuff twice from his shop in the past at exorbitant prices. Have heard a lot about him taking novices for a ride by selling fake stuff. I am sure a lot of esteemed BHPians from Pune would agree with me.
You may try out Moto101 at Dhole Patil Road, bang opposite Hotel Kapila. Genuine stuff & good people to deal with. I went to their shop thrice to buy a new MT helmet but had to return empty handed each time due to non-availability of stocks. Finally when the stocks arrived, they were all in matte-finish whereas I wanted one in the glossy White & Red combination to go with my suit that too size XL. They checked with Chennai & specially ordered & delivered 1 in 4 days flat.
Kindly check out their FB page Moto101 for more details.

Last edited by coolrain : 19th June 2015 at 23:08.
Old 20th June 2015, 01:10   #1754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Maximum avoid riding in that condition that has both rain and bad light. The other option is to find a slow moving truck or a bus and follow the left wheels at a safe distance. Just concentrate on the rear of the bus or truck. I have found that fairly safe but the sacrifice is speed. I usually am riding at less than 40 to 50kmph with a bus distance between me and the other bus.

The visor is mostly open at an angle based on the rain direction and usually this helps.

Most of the new age helmets come with a small ventillation spot that takes care of fogging. Its the temperature difference right, so best option is to mildly open the visor and ride.

Like i said riding in rain is fun in day time but its a havoc at bad light and strictly must be avoided.

And be careful about following the vehicle as they can go over huge water stagnation with no worries while you will have no clue when you are simply flooded over with water. The riding behind a vehicle is strictly the last solution when you have to travel and i use one of the slow moving vehicle as shield. Never follow a high speed vehicle as shield. Max speed i would suggest to do this is 30-40kmph. Anything above that its just too risky.
Old 20th June 2015, 16:22   #1755
BHPian

I have just bought a royal enfield bullet 350, and looking to buy a helmet for my 3 yo son. I know its not safe to ride with a young child on the bike but its just for an occasional drive. We live in Manali and the traffic is too congested during the peak tourist season to take the car out. Any ideas/recommendation for a kids helmet?

Most Viewed