Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2015, 23:26   #1771
BHPian

Re: Bell Vortex - Doubt about sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Hello sir! I came across your post while doing a bit of research about the Bell Vortex, which I'm planning to buy. I've got some doubts about the helmet's sizing. My crown measures in at around 57.5 cms, which is a medium according to Bell's sizing chart, but since I lie on the chubbier side, I'm not sure if I have to get a medium, or a large, just to be on the safer side. Could you please tell me more about your helmet's sizing and fitment? Thanks!
Hey brother,

I have a medium helmet. I checked and my crown is 58 Cms. Should be good fit. I found it slightly tighter initially from the cheeks as I wear a balclava. But with time it has improved as it takes the shape of the face.

Overall its a very good helmet for the street, for the price. The only issue is wind noise. I have taped the side 2 ventilation vents and that has improved it a lot.

Regards
Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2015, 00:00   #1772
BHPian

Re: Bell Vortex - Doubt about sizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hey brother,

I have a medium helmet. I checked and my crown is 58 Cms. Should be good fit. I found it slightly tighter initially from the cheeks as I wear a balclava. But with time it has improved as it takes the shape of the face.
Thank you so much sir! I'll be ordering the Vortex this week. Will post pics of it here once it reaches me, which would be in the second week of July. Cheers!
Turbojc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 11:15   #1773
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Hi guys! Just got my new Bell Vortex Flying Tiger helmet. Boy, the quality of this thing is just amazing! Will post a more detailed review of it in the coming weeks.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_6545.jpg Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_6546.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hey brother,

I have a medium helmet. I checked and my crown is 58 Cms. Should be good fit.
@Rachit.K.Dogra: Thanks for your inputs sir! The helmet fits me perfectly .

Last edited by Turbojc : 16th July 2015 at 11:17.
Turbojc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2015, 12:38   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojc View Post
Hi guys! Just got my new Bell Vortex Flying Tiger helmet. Boy, the quality of this thing is just amazing! Will post a more detailed review of it in the coming weeks.
Price? post pics of inner pads.
Old 17th July 2015, 12:09   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshs View Post
Price? post pics of inner pads.
Hi! The helmet cost $179 (around Rs 11,300), and the smoked visor was an extra $39 (around Rs 2500).

Here is an image of the inner liner. Apologies for the quality, for I took this picture in a hurry.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-fullsizerender-3.jpg
Turbojc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 16:07   #1776
BHPian

Finally bought my first DOT certified helmet! I looked at various options from LS2, MT and SOL out of which LS2 was immediately rejected since the other two felt better. Ended up getting a SOL (Model name is SM-1) which came with all the essential features like D-Ring locking mechanism, double visor system and LED lights (3 modes) on the rear side. The graphics looked nice to me and make it an attention grabber

Bought it from AH Helmets in Lokhandwala which is recommended by many riders. The guy is a bit too rigid on the pricing part though. Absolutely no discounts. Paid 6k for this.

I went for the M size as it feels snug yet doesn't hurt the ears too much. Hopefully it will open up a bit after using it for some time. Will post an update after I use it for some time. Lots of vents visible so hopefully it will provide good airflow when riding in traffic.

Here are some pictures of the same:

The main visor is the clear one and the secondary one is tinted. Suitable for both day and night riding.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20150724_012.jpg

The graphics look really nice. Subjective though.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20150724_013.jpg

The LED light is a nice-to-have feature and should increase the rider's visibility to other road users.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20150724_015.jpg

The sliding mechanism for the secondary visor. THe small slider behind it is for the battery compartment of the LED lights.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20150724_016.jpg

Last edited by amansanc : 24th July 2015 at 16:11.
amansanc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2015, 23:31   #1777
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I am on the lookout for a full face helmet with a removable/washable lining and good ventilation.My crown measures about 610-620mm.
Can someone tell me what are the know/trusted helmet brands and the models which might suit me?
Old 25th July 2015, 00:13   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek3001 View Post
Hi everyone,
I am on the lookout for a full face helmet with a removable/washable lining and good ventilation.My crown measures about 610-620mm.
Can someone tell me what are the know/trusted helmet brands and the models which might suit me?
Abhishek, almost all the good helmets these days come with removable/washable inner lining. Ventilation ducts are also normal. Now the trusted brands are Shoei, Bell, SOL, MT, Sparx, Arai, HJC, Icon, etc etc and the list goes on. The issue is the price, so you need to define how much budget do you have for this?
Shivanshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 00:09   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
The issue is the price, so you need to define how much budget do you have for this?
I plan on spending about 5000 rupees.
Old 26th July 2015, 00:27   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
I plan on spending about 5000 rupees.
For that money, you would get MT and SOL helmets. Both are good brands and you can choose the graphics. However, MT has an advantage. They have the D-ring locking system in their affordable helmets (<5k) too whereas the same is available in a lil more expensive SOL ones (around 6k). But for the added price, you get dual visor and LED lights at the back too. Check out my post a few posts above yours to get an idea of what 6k would get you
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 21:27   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
However, MT has an advantage. They have the D-ring locking system in their affordable helmets (<5k) too whereas the same is available in a lil more expensive SOL ones (around 6k).
I may be wrong, but I think all models from SOL came with a double D ring locking system. My lid sure came with one, and do not have the double visor.

--Anoop
Old 26th July 2015, 21:32   #1782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I may be wrong, but I think all models from SOL came with a double D ring locking system. My lid sure came with one, and do not have the double visor.

--Anoop
Well I didn't see the D-ring in the more affordable SOL helmets. Maybe they did some cost cutting in the recent lots. In fact, the newer designs in the same series as the one i bought also didn't have D-ring. Luckily I liked the graphics of this lil older model so got lucky.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:19   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,
SOL/MT would make the most sense. I've been using a SOL SL68 SII Metal Man orange since the last 35,000 odd kms, works like a charm. Keep in mind that SOL accessories and parts are hard to find, very few people stock them. D rings come as standard on most SOL helmets.

MT is widely available, has extremely good reviews, and some models come with D ring straps too. Both these helmets are come with soft padding, which is useful if you are like me and wear goggles/spectacles. MT helmets come with extra gimmics like NFC and stuff, some SOL helmets come with lights too. Lots of graphics choices in both, and you can't go wrong with either brand.
RiderZone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:02   #1784
Senior - BHPian

Guys who wear specs, how do you manage with snug fitting helmets? I am planning something on the 250-300$ range and almost all are very snug. Experience any difficulty?
Old 3rd August 2015, 18:46   #1785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Guys who wear specs, how do you manage with snug fitting helmets? I am planning something on the 250-300$ range and almost all are very snug. Experience any difficulty?
I have glasses, no problems, though it takes 30seconds more. I wear a balaclava + full face helmet. Balaclava, helmet and then glasses is how I go. I used a half face helmet too, but didn't like it.

But one thing, ensure that there is no inner visor, since it may not work properly with glasses. Try on with your glasses till you get the right size. It might be a bit tight initially, but will mould around your head as time passes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks