Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2015, 15:40   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

AQ expands

AutoQueen in Cochin has expanded recently and has a dedicated showroom for helmets and riding gear. It is right above the old store and has a good selection of Nolan, AGV, HJC, KYT, THH, Airoh, SOL and LS2. In addition to this they also have other riding gear and stock tires for superbikes. I certainly felt like a kid in a candy store

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039139-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039125-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039126-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039127-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039128-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039129-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039130-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039131-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039132-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039133-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039134-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039135-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039137-large.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-pa039138-large.jpg
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 06:20   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Sorry if I'm asking a silly question - returning biker here. In 2008 when I was last biking actively, you used to get AGV helmets in 2000-3000 Rs which were quite decent and had an excellent replaceable visor.

Today http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_...rds=agv+helmet AGV seems to be selling helmets that cost 10x the price. What's going on?

I understand SOL and MT are the current favorites in the 2-4k range but just curious what happened to AGV in India. Can anyone help me understand?

PS: Maybe I'm a cheapie but I'm not sure of the incremental safety provided by helmets costing more than 4-5k. I'm sure those will have other nice to have features like lesser wind noise, lower weight, supremely adjustable inner liners etc - but are they necessarily more safer? If there's a study to that effect, I'm open to revising my beliefs and buying a better helmet. As of now I'm skeptical.
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:02   #1803
Senior - BHPian

@Phamilyman,

AGV was never 2-3K from my experience. Either they were cheap knock offs or somethings not right.

The shell, the standards that they need to pass (NOT ISI), the weight, wind circulation, ability to controll roll over of helmet, the ability to completely break and take all the load while not transferring anything to head and more.

Its not just features that costs more, but protection in various ways. Passive and active protection. Like the 2-3K helmets will probably transfer those shock waves to still cause damage.

Personally i would never compromise on Helment specially with cheap knock offs. We spent close to half a lakh for mobile phones but suddenly feel cost a reason for buying helmets.

I am not here to say 1000 dollar helmets are best. The Airframe is less than 10K and is one of the strongest out there. There are top level helments around 10K. At 2-3K you just take a risk.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:33   #1804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Phamilyman,

AGV was never 2-3K from my experience. Either they were cheap knock offs or somethings not right.

The shell, the standards that they need to pass (NOT ISI), the weight, wind circulation, ability to controll roll over of helmet, the ability to completely break and take all the load while not transferring anything to head and more.

Its not just features that costs more, but protection in various ways. Passive and active protection. Like the 2-3K helmets will probably transfer those shock waves to still cause damage.

Personally i would never compromise on Helment specially with cheap knock offs. We spent close to half a lakh for mobile phones but suddenly feel cost a reason for buying helmets.

I am not here to say 1000 dollar helmets are best. The Airframe is less than 10K and is one of the strongest out there. There are top level helments around 10K. At 2-3K you just take a risk.
Ah it was MPA-AGV which was cheap enough - 2245 was what it costed (Link) a BHPian (inactive) in 2009. Old discussions confirm the same: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post1859486 (3025 Rs in Dubai in 2010). FWIW I know those helmets have (unfortunately) been crash tested so they were safe even if the touch/feel isnt as nice as Made-In-Italy stuff.

Anyhow - I am not disagreeing about the value of a good helmet. I'm just trying to understand the point above which I don't care about the incremental value (non-safety related items).

Can you give me a link to the Airframe helmet? http://bikegear.in/icon-airframe-art...t-online-india seems to be 30k
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:37   #1805
BHPian

MPA AGV used to be made by Forma Sports - Baroda. Picked my first one up at ~1250 (factory price, through a contact) later on bought 2 more at 2-2.5K range before getting on to an SBK. Currently all AGVs are being imported hence the higher price tags, maybe you can find a K3 on discount somewhere. I wouldnt recommend the entry level HJCs because they are very noisy (have owned one for 2 years) SOL seems to be the best bet at that price point.
arpandiv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 10:44   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
just curious what happened to AGV in India. Can anyone help me understand?

PS: Maybe I'm a cheapie but I'm not sure of the incremental safety provided by helmets costing more than 4-5k. I'm sure those will have other nice to have features like lesser wind noise, lower weight, supremely adjustable inner liners etc - but are they necessarily more safer?
phamilyman your memory serves you right. Indian made AGV's were available in that price range. You can still find some in the Royal Enfield stores.

The global benchmark for a decent helmet is around $100. After that, as observed by you, it is a case of diminishing returns.

This $100 translates to approx. INR10k in our markets after considering markups & duties etc.

no study is required to state the obvious - a good quality helmet impacts safety directly by ensuring a better fit, balance, noise blocking, visibility (anti fogging, anti scratch HD vision visors), comfort etc so that one can focus on the road while riding.

Last but not the least, good quality helmets also aid better hygiene by using removable, washable, and in some cases anti bacterial liners.

I don't believe in spending INR50k on a helmet since I only ride for leisure but I stay within the 10 to 20k ballpark and replace helmets every 5 years or so.
outofthebox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:11   #1807

Fell in love with the SOL 68 S-II but couldn't find my size (XXL) in any shop in Mumbai. Most of them even tried speaking to their respective suppliers in trying to source the size for me but they were just failed attempts. Also checked out online sellers but they have only XL.

What should I do now? Where else can I try?

(Also tried speaking to the SOL official distributor for India- he said that he can't speak of the current inventories with the retailers but they're out of stock. The only hope that remains is when they get their container of new stock shipped in December)

Should I consider any alternatives?
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:14   #1808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sorry if I'm asking a silly question - returning biker here. In 2008 when I was last biking actively, you used to get AGV helmets in 2000-3000 Rs which were quite decent and had an excellent replaceable visor.

I understand SOL and MT are the current favorites in the 2-4k range but just curious what happened to AGV in India. Can anyone help me understand?

PS: Maybe I'm a cheapie but I'm not sure of the incremental safety provided by helmets costing more than 4-5k. I'm sure those will have other nice to have features like lesser wind noise, lower weight, supremely adjustable inner liners etc - but are they necessarily more safer? If there's a study to that effect, I'm open to revising my beliefs and buying a better helmet. As of now I'm skeptical.
Before the influx of international helmet brands in the Indian market, AGV tied up with MPA to sell the co-branded MPA AGV helmets in the price range of Rs 2,000 - 3,000. They were a step up from the usual ISI helmets in terms of fit and finish as well as design and did decent numbers. I used one for a few years and loved it. Competitors came in many price ranges, shapes and sizes over the years - GPR, GP One, LS2, Cross, SOL, MT, KYT, THH etc:

Royal Enfield's has tied up with the same MPA to make helmets similar to the good old MPA AGVs as part of its official merchandize that you get in RE stores. AGV has come into the Indian market on its own recently and sells their international ranges through several stores. There is a Dainese store in Bangalore and Orion Motors also stocks several AGVs. These are of course expensive and set you back by around Rs 20,000 (and more, the most expensive helmet tops out at around Rs 97,000) as compared to the Rs 2,000 of the MPA AGVs.

Right now, the MT helmets appear to offer maximum bang for your buck and are very well priced. Do more expensive competitors offer lighter weight and / or better fit and finish and / or enhanced safety and / or better designs and / or greater bragging rights? I would say yes. Is it worth the extra dough? That's for you to decide. There is no right or wrong answer. The topic has been debated on this thread multiple times.

On a personal basis, I have bought helmets from the following brands over the years: MPA Sting (~ Rs 800) -> GP One (~ Rs 2000) -> MPA AGV (~ Rs 2000)-> KBC (~ $ 110 though I got it for a steal since it was on sale) -> HJC (Rs 9000) -> Nolan (Rs 20,000).

Last edited by neil.jericho : 2nd November 2015 at 23:17.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:18   #1809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Before the influx of international helmet brands in the Indian market, AGV tied up with MPA to sell the co-branded MPA AGV helmets in the price range of Rs 2,000 - 3,000.
Yes - I bought one of these helmets for Rs 2600 in 2005. It was an AGV import with a MPA Sticker. Couple of years later, the same helmets were manufactured in India and the quality dropped drastically.

I still use the helmet and its still in pretty good nick.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:42   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Airframe
Hey Phamilyman

I misquoted as Air frame. What i meant was the Icon Alliance Dark Helmet. These are terrific value helmet for the price

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/i...ce-dark-helmet
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 11:27   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Yes - I bought one of these helmets for Rs 2600 in 2005. It was an AGV import with a MPA Sticker. Couple of years later, the same helmets were manufactured in India and the quality dropped drastically.

I still use the helmet and its still in pretty good nick.
SunnyBoi, as good as it is I am sure the helmet is nearing its end of life. Most helmet companies say you should get yourself a new lid every 5 years. That doesn't have to be the gospel truth but its more of an indicative timeline. I remember reading an article which said a helmet loses 20% of its safety over a period of 10 years even with good maintenance and care.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:04   #1812
BHPian

MPA AGV used to be the premium ones back then. I had and still have one (Only used during my ride to the hair dresser). These were better than the offerings we had. The graphics were ripped off from various hemets. Mine was a KBC copy (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rchandise.html)

My views are same as yours regarding the price v safety curve. If you want it to be quite, nothing can beat ear plugs ! When I had to change my helmet after 6 years, i wasn't aware of the standards so I had to go through a lot and at the end, I decided to get the MT Revenge because
1. DOT/ECE and the only helmet with a 5 star SHARP rating, which is a extensive safety rating system. Also, qualified to used in race tracks inn EU.
2. It was light at 1450 gms, compared to helmets around it.
3. The liners were nice and easily removable.
4. The visor is pretty decent for the price and I got an extra iridium one for 450 (now they sell it at 750/850 for some unknown reason)
5. I tried it out at the store and it fit snug. Also my spectacles could go in without much trouble. The visors are very easy to change. Probably 30 seconds or so once you are used to it.

What I thought were the reason that they could keep the price low:
1. Manufactured in China
2. Paint quality looks nice but chips off with any little impact
3. The layers takes ages to break in (at least 1000-1500kms) and till they do, you will experience pain in your ears, forehead and jaw.
4. The open / close switches for the vents are tacky and have a cheap feeling.

So helmet = safety was the only criteria for me during my purchase.

Last edited by Sojogator : 3rd November 2015 at 12:09.
Sojogator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:15   #1813
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Where can we buy genuine helmets in Bangalore? Preferably around Old Madras Road/Indiranagar/Marathalli/Whitefield area?
Is it recommended to get helmets from Bike Showrooms or from Helmet stores outside?
Old 3rd November 2015, 16:41   #1814
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojogator View Post
What I thought were the reason that they could keep the price low:
1. Manufactured in China
2. Paint quality looks nice but chips off with any little impact
3. The layers takes ages to break in (at least 1000-1500kms) and till they do, you will experience pain in your ears, forehead and jaw.
4. The open / close switches for the vents are tacky and have a cheap feeling.
So helmet = safety was the only criteria for me during my purchase.
Sojo, I have heard that they are made in Spain and not China. Need to verify though. The one consistent negative I have heard with MT helmets is that they take a really long time to break in. I have found my HJC CL 17 helmet breaking in and becoming comfortable within a few rides though my current Nolan took a little longer. Nowhere close to an MT though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Hi Guys,

Where can we buy genuine helmets in Bangalore? Preferably around Old Madras Road/Indiranagar/Marathalli/Whitefield area?
Is it recommended to get helmets from Bike Showrooms or from Helmet stores outside?
Helmet stores only. Bike dealers add a massive markup. What is your budget? Which helmets are you looking for?
Old 3rd November 2015, 17:25   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Sojo, I have heard that they are made in Spain and not China. Need to verify though.
As far as I know, they are a spanish brand who do their manufacturing in China like every other product in the world. I need to verify too. Maybe a look at the box or the manuals that came along can confirm what is true.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks