Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2015, 13:32   #1831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Yes mate, no one in their sane minds would ask you to change a Shoei!

Looks like you ride a cruiser so I assume an upright riding position? The only upright position full face Shoei & that too with an internal visor I'm familiar with is the GT Air. In case it is not and is meant for a tucked up riding position that could be the other culprit.

It seems that during riding your helmet's balance is somehow tilting to the front or back and putting pressure on your forehead. Try adjusting the cheek pads or the support around the neck area to see if it helps in getting a better balance.

Basically when one is standing upright, the position at which the helmet feels the lightest is the correct balance position and that needs to be maintained during the ride. Mostly impacted by a loose fit somewhere.
Phew!! Thanks for not recommending a change in liD

Yes I ride a cruiser - A Fatboy. Upright seating, rather a relaxed sunk seating with upper torso straight up.

Yes its the GT Air Wanderer.

Just to add, when the pressure becomes unbearable -- If I push the helmet against the back of my head, I feel a sense of relief, only for the pressure to come back after a few kms. Sometimes pushing down from the top of the helmet also works - only for some time.

What are the things I could do with the cheek pad?

Note: I have Sena SMH 20S fitted and I am sure that is not the issue as there are pockets for the headphone speakers to tuck in and they fit snug in there.

Thanks for helping me dissect the issue mate!

Last edited by Shubz : 19th November 2015 at 13:33.
Old 19th November 2015, 13:42   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
What are the things I could do with the cheek pad?

Note: I have Sena SMH 20S fitted and I am sure that is not the issue as there are pockets for the headphone speakers to tuck in and they fit snug in there.

Thanks for helping me dissect the issue mate!
The idea is to fatten the cheek pads a little bit more with extra layers of sponge etc- it helps the helmet from tilting backwards. That could be a reason in your case especially with all that wind hitting the helmet front at higher speeds.

If its the reverse, ensuring a more snug fit around the neck will help.

I use a SMH10 which has similar drivers and I don't think that it is the culprit.
Old 19th November 2015, 13:57   #1833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The idea is to fatten the cheek pads a little bit more with extra layers of sponge etc- it helps the helmet from tilting backwards. That could be a reason in your case especially with all that wind hitting the helmet front at higher speeds.

If its the reverse, ensuring a more snug fit around the neck will help.

I use a SMH10 which has similar drivers and I don't think that it is the culprit.
Let me see if I there is a provision to add sponge etc. and whether that would work.

Can you please elaborate on what you meant by "If its reverse" and it is already snugly fitting around the neck? then?

Thanks again & sorry to be a dissecting it further. :-)
Old 19th November 2015, 14:35   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Let me see if I there is a provision to add sponge etc. and whether that would work. Can you please elaborate on what you meant by "If its reverse" and it is already snugly fitting around the neck? then?

Thanks again & sorry to be a dissecting it further. :-)
No worries mate. Have gone through similar issues myself in the past and I know how annoying it can get on a long ride.

IIRC Shoei cheek pads used to come with a removable cover where one could add or remove thin layers of sponge. Or you can try wrapping a thin soft microfiber or any other suitable piece of soft cloth on the outside.

By reverse I meant if the helmet was tilting forward instead of backward and then pressurising your forehead. Although this is highly unlikely with all the wind forces on it etc.

Basically If you've zeroed in on the helmet tilting along this axis during riding and causing the pressure on you forehead, then it's half the problem solved.

After that it's just some common sense to secure the helmet with layers of sponge or adjusting portions of inner liner in the right areas to get a snugger fit.

Hope this resolves the issue.
Old 20th November 2015, 01:10   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No worries mate. Have gone through similar issues myself in the past and I know how annoying it can get on a long ride.

IIRC Shoei cheek pads used to come with a removable cover where one could add or remove thin layers of sponge. Or you can try wrapping a thin soft microfiber or any other suitable piece of soft cloth on the outside.

By reverse I meant if the helmet was tilting forward instead of backward and then pressurising your forehead. Although this is highly unlikely with all the wind forces on it etc.

Basically If you've zeroed in on the helmet tilting along this axis during riding and causing the pressure on you forehead, then it's half the problem solved.

After that it's just some common sense to secure the helmet with layers of sponge or adjusting portions of inner liner in the right areas to get a snugger fit.

Hope this resolves the issue.
Sounds good! Let me try inserting a layer of sponge on the inners. Will update this thread when I do another ride. Its been a while since I've done a proper ride!

Pressure on left side of the forehead is a foregone conclusion! Got to see if its a break-in issue or shape issue.

Thanks a ton mate!!
Old 20th November 2015, 01:10   #1836
BHPian

Hey Guys. I wanted to know about LS2 Helmets. Are they worth the cost? If so, what's different about them? Planning to upgrade from my Steelbird Helmet. Recommendations?
Old 20th December 2015, 18:55   #1837
BHPian

Bhpians from Bangalore, could you kindly enquire in any of the famous shops in JC or at LGU whether they have a transparent/slightly tinted visor for the SOL Metalman? Can't seem to find one here or even online.

Thanks!
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:47   #1838
Senior - BHPian

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Thought I would share this here with my brethren.
Came across this on Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...iverting-decal
A decal that goes on your existing helmet and drastically reduces the risk of brain injury in angled impacts! There is a video at the link that explains it in detail. Looks very promising. And starting at just $28 (kickstarter early bird price) looks like a very solid deal going by the difference it is claimed to make. Though they recommend you change the decal once every year, still a good deal on a great product I think.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450779316.200638.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450779327.816489.jpgWhich Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450779340.418631.jpg

Last edited by shyn : 22nd December 2015 at 15:48.
Old 23rd December 2015, 14:33   #1839
BHPian

Firstly...apologies for not being able to look at all the 123 pages on this thread so maybe this is a repeat question.

Can someone suggest a full-face lightweight helmet to me within INR 5k, preferably available online or in-store in Bangalore?

I currently use a Vega Boolean (openable jaw) and ride mostly with the face pulled up, where it becomes an open face helmet. Don't know if it is the weight of the helmet (1.3kgs) or the way I wear it, but I get a neck and shoulder recurring pain after each ride of 30 odd minutes (~12kms). If I do not rise for a few days, the pain fully goes away but is back when I start regular riding again. Thanks !
Old 23rd December 2015, 18:25   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Firstly...apologies for not being able to look at all the 123 pages on this thread so maybe this is a repeat question.

Can someone suggest a full-face lightweight helmet to me within INR 5k, preferably available online or in-store in Bangalore?

I currently use a Vega Boolean (openable jaw) and ride mostly with the face pulled up, where it becomes an open face helmet. Don't know if it is the weight of the helmet (1.3kgs) or the way I wear it, but I get a neck and shoulder recurring pain after each ride of 30 odd minutes (~12kms). If I do not rise for a few days, the pain fully goes away but is back when I start regular riding again. Thanks !
If you can stretch it just a bit (6k), you can get the MT Blade or a SOL helmet in that range. Otherwise, you can check out the MT Axxis or this Kranos helmet that's doing the rounds.
Shanenanigans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2015, 17:51   #1841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I'm pretty sure the problem here is that the helmet does not fit you well. This causes a lot of buffeting and tires you out. The problem would be further compounded if you ride with the chin bar up, because of the additional drag

Cheap helmets like Boolean come in one std size, which is fundamentally incorrect. Find a helmet that fits you well. On the weight, most helmets in size medium would weigh around 1400 gms
Old 27th December 2015, 21:02   #1842
BHPian

Got this one this evening from Lets Gear Up at HSR. Initial impressions are good judging from the level of sound and wind insulation. Its a little on the heavier side. Has 6 air vents and an internal sun visor.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-wp_20151227_16_45_32_pro.jpg
Old 28th December 2015, 20:37   #1843
BHPian

Vozz snap on helmet

Here's a very different approach to helmet fastening. A helmet without a chinstrap. Instead, the helmet's rear is hinged , which snaps on into the front half and opened via a recessed pull handle.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-vozz1.0rshelmetwithoutchinstrapclosed.jpg

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-vozzrs1.0.png

http://www.vozzhelmets.com.au/

Quote:
The benefits of a rear access designed helmet allow the lower edge of the chin bar to be rolled therefore creating a rounder shape chin bar that fits extremely close to the user's jaw line, creating a helmet with less snag points than conventional full face helmets.

Further design requirements allows for a closer fitting helmet as the size of the helmet is not affected by the opening size at the bottom of the helmet (as do typical helmets which need to allow a wider access to allow the head to fit into the helmet). As the helmet has an opening rear access, the helmet can be made to fit closer.
Old 29th December 2015, 09:47   #1844
BHPian

Got gifted an LS2 FF352 COMBAT helmet with Mercury visor. Have been riding around with it for last one week. My take on this product:
Pros:
Excellent weight to surface area ratio.
Slightly snug-tight, but the inners expand and contract with relative ease. So no dark lines after a hour of wearing. But this strictly depends on the riders face geometry.
Night driving with Visor is 7/10. Not recommended for poorly lit roads. But excellent vision coverage for well lit roads.
Expandable chin strap(there is a shade of elastic here) is a boon for those with long chin bones
Three air vents are placed excellent. Again a boon for those long rides in humid weather.
Cons:
Dont think the visor is scratch proof.
Cost seems to be on the higher side (on looking at e-Retailing sites). per my experience, this product should be priced around $50 - $60 (approx 3500 INR).
Not sure about the performance in windy conditions as have not had a chance.
some pictures.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2192.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2193.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2194.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_2195.jpg

Last edited by FuelInjector : 29th December 2015 at 09:55.
FuelInjector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2015, 12:19   #1845
BHPian

Hey guys, I have booked an Avenger Street 150 recently.
I need to buy a new helmet. It should be stylish, safe, affordable, full face and preferably black.
Budget is upto 2000 rupees. Max 2500.
Please do help me out with some links or model names.
Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks