Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 13:14   #1891
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
There is nothing much to differentiate between the two. Both are of the same quality. LS2 Origin etc being more of a suspect
From what Ive seen, the MT's are definitely a step above the LSs that you get now. And given the uncertain origins, the MT is an easy choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Dont even think about it! My sincere recommendation -- Helmet -- TRY n BUY!!!
+100. This is the absolute golden rule with helmets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The Hjc had great reviews expecially at webbikeworld and I also liked your real world observation on wind noise at high speeds. Goandude says no wind noise at 170 kmph and Web bike world confirms this observation rating it quieter. That's one level below the best very quiet rating.

I wonder, does the weight of the hjc trouble you long distance as a touring helmet?

The hjc is definitely on top, but it's now 2 years since an update on this lid...
The thing with wind noise is that it has an inexpensive fix. Earplugs cost hardly anything these days and do a very effective job of keeping the noise out. I honestly didnt have any issues with the weight of the HJC CL 17 at all despite the seating posture on the Continental GT. I dont have any experience with the Nolan 44 but between the MT and the HJC models that you listed, I would strongly suggest the HJCs any day.

What are the helmets that you have listed as your long term options? If weight is important, do keep X-Lite on your radar. I saw a few of their helmets last year and was blown away by the lightness.
Old 1st February 2016, 13:20   #1892
Distinguished - BHPian

Are HJC CL-17 available anywhere in Bangalore? Called up a few possible stockists and none of them have it
Old 1st February 2016, 14:13   #1893
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

The thing with wind noise is that it has an inexpensive fix. Earplugs cost hardly anything these days and do a very effective job of keeping the noise out. I honestly didnt have any issues with the weight of the HJC CL 17 at all despite the seating posture on the Continental GT. I dont have any experience with the Nolan 44 but between the MT and the HJC models that you listed, I would strongly suggest the HJCs any day.

What are the helmets that you have listed as your long term options? If weight is important, do keep X-Lite on your radar. I saw a few of their helmets last year and was blown away by the lightness.

hmmm never heard of the xlite brand before, will give them a look online.

Long term helmets, am planning to get myself a good dual sport and a pair of mx googles. The verdict on a good DS helmet is still out there, though I will like one with a longer and adjustable and removable peak, as well as a removable visor so that the Goggle can sit around the helmet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Are HJC CL-17 available anywhere in Bangalore? Called up a few possible stockists and none of them have it
I thought let's gear up stocked these babies... No?

Sorry not in Bangalore at the moment, so all of this is keyboard research.
Old 1st February 2016, 20:27   #1894
Distinguished - BHPian

Just looking at the x lites and I see they are owned by nolan! But they definitely are not priced par with the hjc. I guess will put it down as a long term contender. Are these available locally?
Old 1st February 2016, 20:40   #1895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Sagar, last year when I was hunting for a replacement to my crashed CL17, I too found that it wasnt available anywhere in Bangalore. I then called up Performance Racing Store who are the official importers and found out when they were sending across a batch of helmets to Bangalore next. You could try that approach.

Quote:
Just looking at the x lites and I see they are owned by nolan! But they definitely are not priced par with the hjc. I guess will put it down as a long term contender. Are these available locally?
Yes, X Lite is owned by Nolan. The pricing would be at par with the top of the range HJC RPHA 10 series. I think I have seen a couple in Cochin, prices ought to be north of INR 30K. That brings it close to the Shoei range with pricing at around the 35K mark onwards. I had suggested the Nolan as part of your long term options.
Old 1st February 2016, 20:50   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you buy a lid online from abroad without trying it on first? I know measurements and all, but has anyone here done it successfully?
Both my helmets, GMAX Gm 68 and Bell RS 1 were bought online

Of course its better if you can go to a physical establishment to try out a helmet, like it is with with T-shirts, jeans, shoes etc. You need to do your research correctly and follow the basic principals when deciding upon a lid; for example - If you are in between sizes, order a size up

Most popular gear, not just helmets; have pretty accurate reviews online. View multiple ones and see if they are similar in terms of what they say. They usually are. If you are finding conflicting info on a product, better to stay away unless the deal is too sweet to let it go

That said, you will never know how your gear especially helmets, would feel unless you take them out for a ride on your bike, which none of the shops will let you do. You will never come to know about things like helmet's balance, aerodynamics and noise by just wearing it around the shop

On a sidenote, almost all gear I own has been ordered online and carried over by a generous relative. The only problem I had was with the Bell's sizing and I had to exchange mine for a size small. I knew the risk because some Bell helmets have non standard sizing. But the deal was too good to pass over. Plus, I was in the states at that time. The exchange was free and painless

Bottomline - You should not hesitate to order online if there are monetary benefits to be had
Old 1st February 2016, 20:58   #1897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

Bottomline - You should not hesitate to order online if there are monetary benefits to be had
And if you have a few uncles and aunts and a job that sends you stateside every few months. Heh.

Will place my next order through you. Lol.
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:09   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Long term helmets, am planning to get myself a good dual sport and a pair of mx googles. The verdict on a good DS helmet is still out there, though I will like one with a longer and adjustable and removable peak, as well as a removable visor so that the Goggle can sit around the helmet.
Hi Red Liner,

Thought I'll pitch in as the one helmet that I can think of which has these features is the Shark Explore-R. Its a dual sport helmet which comes with an adjustable and removable peak, high quality glass lens that can be worn with the peak and a large visor which provides exceptional peripheral vision.

I use the helmet quite regularly and have had a largely good experience. The only thing I can think of which bothers me a little is the wind noise factor, but then I'm comparing a dual sport helmet with my experience in a Shoei GT-Air, which is quite unfair.
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:19   #1899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkurS View Post
Hi Red Liner,

Shark Explore-R. Its a dual sport helmet
Hey thank you! This helmet has the goods! Did you get the goggles, neck liner, and the hinge kit as well? Very sweet that the goggles and neckliner come in the box.

When did you get it and what model year is it? Any pictures?

And finally what did you pay for it?

I read this review of the lid here... http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/new-shark-adventure-r-helmet.963396/page-2#post-26803545

Last edited by Red Liner : 2nd February 2016 at 18:20.
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:41   #1900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Hey neil, I use the CL-17 too and wind noise is surprisingly higher than my LS2. Will the ear plugs help? do they block too much noise? And which ear plugs did you use?

cheers!
sai
Old 2nd February 2016, 18:54   #1901
Senior - BHPian

The matter of "noisy vs qiet" helmets has been discussed a couple or so pages ago

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3889343

Besides other factors, your head shape vs helmet head shape and of course if you have the correct sized helmet pretty much defines how quiet a helmet is. If someone with an oval head shape (for example) is wearing a helmet with a rather round profile, like most HJCs and GMax; the helmet's gonna be loud once on the move

Gmax / SOL is generally considered to be a noisy helmet. But here's what WebBikeWorld has to say about GMax's noise levels:

Excerpt:

When I first looked at the two-tier vent system on the GM68S, I figured this would be one noisy helmet, but I'm amazed that this isn't the case.

It sort of blows all the theory away, because although I wouldn't say the helmet is quiet, I will say that it's much quieter than I expected for sure.

The vents induce a noticeable wind rushing noise along the top, and an occasional whistle here and there, depending upon the angle of attack of the rider's head vs. the air stream. I can only assume this might be better or worse depending upon manufacturing tolerances of any one particular helmet.

But overall, I'd say that the helmet is surprisingly quiet....

The GM68S also seems very good at controlling the lower frequency "booming" noises that are typically noticed along the bottom of a helmet.

But the GM68S controls this noise very well, possibly because of the standard chin curtain under the chin bar in front or perhaps because the lower portion of the helmet fits correctly along the bottom of my head.
And also remember that your experience with noise levels will probably be different because it depends on many factors, including your head shape, the motorcycle configuration, prevailing winds and more.

Score: I'll give the GM68S an "Excellent" rating for its ability to control noise, taking into account the amount of air flowing into the helmet.

Link - http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...et/gmax/gm68s/

If you read the complete review, you would see that the reviwer mentioned his head shape as "round", a good fit for the Gmax. Thats the kind of difference it can make when you wear a helmet that not just is the correct size, but the correct head shape too

Please do not simply go for a helmet simply because someone says its quiet. It may be quiet for one, cyclone like for another. And this is applicable for the cheapest and the most expensive helmets alike

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 2nd February 2016 at 18:56.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2016, 22:44   #1902
BHPian

What about the Axor helmets? I heard quality of axor helmets are same as that of LS2s. Also planning to buy a good quality helmet. It would be great if someone guide me choose a good one. LS2s are quite expensive for my budget. I am looking below 4k range.
Old 6th February 2016, 11:32   #1903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4power View Post
What about the Axor helmets? I heard quality of axor helmets are same as that of LS2s. Also planning to buy a good quality helmet. It would be great if someone guide me choose a good one. LS2s are quite expensive for my budget. I am looking below 4k range.
Axor is DOT certified. I haven't used it personally so can't comment on the quality. Kranos by Spartan Pro Gear is also an excellent option if you are strict with your budget. They cost 3.8k
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 14:41   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4power View Post
When I went to buy my MT Blade helmet, the guy had shown me a few LS2s as well. I tried to bargain on the helmet price as I was buying two MT Blade helmets and a saddle bag for my bullet at once. He said, "Sir, with MT I can't reduce a single rupee, I'll give you balaclava as complimentary for each helmet. However that Rs.4500/- worth LS2 I can give for Rs.3800/-"

I said how come you can reduce so much on LS2?

He replied, "Everybody who comes here for MTs, SOLs and HJCs know where do we get LS2s from". Then I thought what they discussed on the thread I had read on xbhp was true after all!!

So, I would advise you to stay away from LS2 even if you extend your budget. You might not be getting original stuff. I don't know much about Axor except that it is premium quality helmet from Vega. And Kranos seems to be a decent helmet as well. I have seen few KTM riders wearing them but never used them though.
Old 6th February 2016, 15:32   #1905
BANNED

What is the difference between MT Blade & Axxis range ?

Is there any difference in safety ratings ? (Both are dual certified, I assume)

Most Viewed