Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2016, 21:55   #1966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Lighter than 1200grams without the use of carbon-fibre, means it isn't going to protect your wife from anything much. Sorry to say, but you ought to try convincing her to go for a full-faced helmet there really isn't two ways about it. Statistics show that majority of impact during bike accidents is to the chin area so plead your wife to see reason and go with another Kranos if possible
100% agree with you. Shall certainly convince her and get another full face DOT/ECE certified ones as she sign up for serious rides.
Old 14th March 2016, 12:47   #1967
BHPian

Meanwhile, I couldn't resist myself and picked one of these: a Shoei X-12.

Simply loved the fit and finish, and also how it fit my head. A short 200km highway ride also showed how silent this one is.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457939744.694337.jpg
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457939755.967053.jpg

My current arsenal.
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457939771.956195.jpg
dreamseller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 13:08   #1968
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Nice lid dream! How much did it set you back by and where did you get it from?

Last edited by Red Liner : 14th March 2016 at 13:09.
Old 16th March 2016, 19:09   #1969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Nice lid dream! How much did it set you back by and where did you get it from?
Thanks

Costed me roughly 37K INR at Singapore. Wanted to get Arai but the Shoei fit my face better. Or so I felt.
Old 18th March 2016, 13:55   #1970
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic looking helmet Sourav. Is this the base version of Shoei or they start with any other model below this one?

Also, which bike you ride in Singapore?
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2016, 14:07   #1971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Fantastic looking helmet Sourav. Is this the base version of Shoei or they start with any other model below this one
It's the X12 Avi bhai, the same one that was Marquez's choice for racing in MotoGP. So top of the shelf stuff really

This has now been replaced by the X-14
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 08:48   #1972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Fantastic looking helmet Sourav. Is this the base version of Shoei or they start with any other model below this one?

Also, which bike you ride in Singapore?

Thank you so much Avi

As Urban Nomad has already said, this one is an erstwhile flagship for Shoei. I went to buy an HJC RPHA and ended up salivating for this one. Tried on the Arai as well, but figured that the Shoei fits much better for longer faces.

Came back to India this week. Was using a CB400 briefly there. By the way, finally got an old school bike here in India. Will start an ownership thread soon.

P.S. Do you still have your K3?
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2016, 12:25   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks I was on the fence about buying an AGV K3 SV until I got a good deal on a Scorpion EXO 2000. Nearly bought the Scorpion, until I again received great deals on two helmets both from very reputed brands. The first one which I almost bought, is the HJC RPHA 10 plus but the second one which has got me thinking really hard is the Nolan X-Lite X-802R. The shape of the Nolan does not look that great but the quality is seriously impressive and the fit is extremely hugging. The interior lining in the Nolan feels leagues above the HJC. The Nolan feels more like an Arai when it comes to quality. Both offer similar features; pinlock visor, supposedly great ventilation, double d ring straps etc. and the Nolan comes with an adjustable rear spoiler. While I read from their website that it was developed with Lorenzo, Stoner, Checa and Melandri, unfortunately I can't seem to find any reviews of the X-Lite online that are in English (most of the reviews are in Italian). Anyone has any experience with the product? The Nolan definitely seems better to me, but the RPHA 10 is more common and my head says I ought to go with a tried and tested product like the RPHA 10. Please help guys my new RC 390 is sitting in the garage and I want to make this decision by tomorrow as I'm now bored of driving

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th March 2016 at 12:26.
Old 19th March 2016, 14:09   #1974
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey folks I was on the fence about buying an AGV K3 SV until
What I want to know is where are you getting these great deals from and how much of a great deal are they??
Old 19th March 2016, 14:37   #1975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I want to know is where are you getting these great deals from and how much of a great deal are they??
Haha well a friend of mine from Germany whose dad owns a store there, is the one who texted me these offers. The RPHA 10 Plus is coming upto 19k including shipping, and the Nolan X-Lite X802-R would cost me 20k including shipping both come with pinlock visors. AGV K3 for 10k, AGV K3 SV five continents graphic with pinlock visor comes up to about 15k including shipping and a Nolan N64 Casey Stoner Replica comes up to about 10K. I am assuming these are great deals since the online stores here list the X-802R for 42k (without pinlock visor), K3 SV five continents for 20k (without pinlock visor) and Nolan N64 Stoner Replica for 15k. These are the lowest prices I found online in India, have not had the time to visit many stores here and I'm new to biking so I might be wrong

Would you happen to have any experience or know anyone who has owned an X-Lite X-802R? No one has been able to give me any thoughts on this particular model.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 19th March 2016 at 15:07.
Old 19th March 2016, 17:46   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Haha well a friend of mine from Germany whose dad owns a store there, is the one who texted me these offers.
These are mind blowing prices!

Is the 802R a carbon fiber version. I would think so. Here's a really good review I just read on this lid:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...=1458389350143

I am just wondering what the duties would work out to on this? Have you figured a way around that?

Also how are you dealing with helmet fit issues? Are you taking that risk of an improbable fit?

The prices are just out of the world. I think you are getting dealer prices and not retail. If I PM you do you think I could also have a lid ordered along with yours?
Old 19th March 2016, 18:28   #1977
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are mind blowing prices!

Is the 802R a carbon fiber version. I would think so. Here's a really good review I just read on this lid:
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/show...=1458389350143

I am just wondering what the duties would work out to on this? Have you figured a way around that?

Also how are you dealing with helmet fit issues? Are you taking that risk of an improbable fit?

The prices are just out of the world. I think you are getting dealer prices and not retail. If I PM you do you think I could also have a lid ordered along with yours?
The prices he quoted me are all inclusive and he said that is what I'd have to pay to have them delivered to my address. I measured my head and have tried on a few other helmets to arrive at the right size for me which is an S also whatever I could dig up online for the X-802R says that it fits an oval face like mine perfectly they also say that it is a more snug fit but that is something I think I'd enjoy on my vibey RC 390. Thanks for the link for some reason it says "the admin has banned your ip address" perhaps some regional viewing thing? Maybe I should use a proxy or something to view the page.

Sure shoot me a PM and I'll ask my buddy whether it would be possible
Old 19th March 2016, 18:36   #1978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Sure shoot me a PM and I'll ask my buddy whether it would be possible
That's brilliant. Here is another link to the same page http://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=...77Yl4LYXbgbBig

This worked for me.

The xlite has a better sharp rating than the hjc and is also lighter. The xlite weighed in at an incredible 1290 grams! Doesn't revzilla have reviews on this lid? Edit revzilla doesn't carry them because this xlite lid is sold only in the European region.

With the little reading I have done, I would probably go with the xlite between the two.

Will pm you now. Let's take it offline. Thanks for considering my request.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th March 2016 at 19:03.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 12:29   #1979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much Avi

As Urban Nomad has already said, this one is an erstwhile flagship for Shoei. I went to buy an HJC RPHA and ended up salivating for this one. Tried on the Arai as well, but figured that the Shoei fits much better for longer faces.
Nice! Helmets are like Jeans. Same size and fit from different brands will never be the same. You just have to keep trying the helmets and get one

AGV K3 was a tough fit for me for a long time. It took almost 2 months to break in.

Whereas, I bought the MT (much cheaper than AGV K3) recently on spur of moment and it just fit me like a glove right from the first time I wore it. Extremely comfortable and awesome helmet

Quote:
Came back to India this week. Was using a CB400 briefly there. By the way, finally got an old school bike here in India. Will start an ownership thread soon.
Welcome back to India. Are you now based out of Delhi?

I'm eagerly waiting to see your new bike ownership report. When will it go live?

Old school means RD 350? Honda Fire blade? Suzuki Bandit? Which one? Come on, share the info dude

Quote:
P.S. Do you still have your K3?
Nope! I sold it long back for a profit after using it for nearly 6 months. I booked a 30kgs suitcase to myself in August. Now I can shop to my hearts content and it will be delivered right to my door-step...Haha!

So will be scouting for a good 2nd helmet in coming months and a few knick knacks for my "Dark Knight"

Last edited by mobike008 : 20th March 2016 at 12:30.
Old 20th March 2016, 14:13   #1980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
Finally picked up an SF-1 Cobra myself from Babloo Motors, Vashi. However, when I inspected the product, I noticed that the locking mechanism isn't the double D-ring but the conventional slider/ratchet mechanism.
So, traded the SF-1 in for an A DOT certified helmet for around 6K. Have worn the helmet for more than 2100KM and here's what I feel about it:

1. Styling and Form Factor: Not modest, not polarizing either. The only size that fit me was an L unlike other helmets where I fit in an M. The shell size is a little on the larger size and fits well for round/oval heads. I was initially inclined towards the Chakra green, but it didn't look all that great in the flesh so I went for the Alpha- Flat Black and White variant.

All vents and controls fall readily to hand and can be operated easily with gloves on. Chin strap is of the D-ring type.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol-sf5-front.jpg

2. Comfort: It's a little on the larger side with the shell size, and feels heavy in the hand. Almost at 1.8KG, but slide it on and you'll feel none of it.
The helmet comes with 6 intake and one rear exhaust vent, however only one set of vents blow air directly to your face. The others channel air to keep your head liner cool/dry. Temple gets sweaty on hot days, a brow vent is sorely missed.

Also, the chin vent doesn't do a very good job as the helmet fogs up in stop and go traffic.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol-sf5-side.jpg

3. Visor Quality: The helmet came with a anti-scratch, UV 400 treated clear visor(removable) and a tinted remotely deploy-able sun-lens. The sun lens is an absolute boon on hot days and keeps fatigue at bay and the fact that it can be deployed via a tiny lever on the side is another major plus.

The visor opens via a ratchet mechanism and can be cracked open just a little bit to keep fog at bay.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol-sf5-sun-lens.jpg

4. Linings/Pads: Three piece unit, easily removable and washable.
Wicks sweat pretty well. Dries easily too. Reattaching the cheekpads can be difficult for first timers.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol-sf5-rear.jpg

5. Noise: It does tend to get noisy at speeds above 90KPH, and there's a fair bit of turbulence around your neck. Crosswinds tend to upset it a little bit. Otherwise, it's very quiet and the chin curtain does a brilliant job of keeping the noise in check.

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-sol-sf5-top.jpg

Overall: A fantastic street helmet. Too noisy for touring/highway runs. A 3 on 5.
rohan_cherian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks