Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 02:02   #1981
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice! Helmets are like Jeans. Same size and fit from different brands will never be the same. You just have to keep trying the helmets and get one
Totally agree. Unless you know your brand, you shouldn't buy gears without trying it out.

You're the second person I know who is more comfortable in an MT as compared to an AGV K3.

And with regards to the bike, check PM.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 08:34   #1982
BHPian

I bought MT Blade couple of weeks back. It fits perfectly but when used in conjunction with helmet support (http://www.gforce.com/products/helmetacc/4122.php), the wind noise is unbearable at speeds above 70kmph. I did not face such issues with my previous helmets. Has anybody faced same problem? If yes how did you overcome that (I've yet to try various angles - or it may be vents open issue, will try the angles/vents closing during next weekend).
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2016, 11:07   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I bought MT Blade couple of weeks back. It fits perfectly but when used in conjunction with helmet support (http://www.gforce.com/products/helmetacc/4122.php), the wind noise is unbearable at speeds above 70kmph. I did not face such issues with my previous helmets. Has anybody faced same problem? If yes how did you overcome that (I've yet to try various angles - or it may be vents open issue, will try the angles/vents closing during next weekend).
Hello, I have been using MT Balde for a little over 6 months now. As I ride an Enfield, I usually don't go beyond 90. At a speed of 80-85kmph, I hear a small whistle sound with the vents open, nothing unbearable. ('unbearable' might differ for different people) If you feel the noise is too much, one factor I can think of is - check if visor is properly in its place on both the ends. Once a friend fiddled with my helmet and left one side of the visor half removed. It was so slightly out of place, I didn't realize for some time. It not only resulted in high wind noise but also left some scratch marks on the helmet due to visor movement.

If the visor is properly in its place, I don't know how you can avoid the noise. Never used any earplugs. You might want to browse through the pages of this thread. I remember to have seen some posts about earplugs.

Cheers!
Old 30th March 2016, 14:54   #1984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Though I am not facing the issue of wind noise on my Kranos due to my limited speed or riding position on TB500, many those who faced issues ended up using ear-plugs. Some have insulated air vents too.

Hope your helmet is snug fit and air vents were closed while facing the issue.

Last edited by jacs : 30th March 2016 at 14:57.
Old 30th March 2016, 21:21   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Though I am not facing the issue of wind noise on my Kranos due to my limited speed or riding position on TB500, many those who faced issues ended up using ear-plugs. Some have insulated air vents too.

Hope your helmet is snug fit and air vents were closed while facing the issue.
Yes, The helmet is snug fit. I think the sound is due to the wind/air forcing through the "Helmet Support". I had tried once without the Helmet Support and I did not face any such issue (I don't remember whether I crossed 60/70 or not)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGunner View Post
Hello, I have been using MT Balde for a little over 6 months now. As I ride an Enfield, I usually don't go beyond 90. At a speed of 80-85kmph, I hear a small whistle sound with the vents open, nothing unbearable. ('unbearable' might differ for different people) If you feel the noise is too much, one factor I can think of is - check if visor is properly in its place on both the ends. Once a friend fiddled with my helmet and left one side of the visor half removed. It was so slightly out of place, I didn't realize for some time. It not only resulted in high wind noise but also left some scratch marks on the helmet due to visor movement.

If the visor is properly in its place, I don't know how you can avoid the noise. Never used any earplugs. You might want to browse through the pages of this thread. I remember to have seen some posts about earplugs.

Cheers!
As I mentioned earlier, I think it might be due the "SFI Helmet Support" that I used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Totally agree. Unless you know your brand, you shouldn't buy gears without trying it out.

You're the second person I know who is more comfortable in an MT as compared to an AGV K3.

And with regards to the bike, check PM.
Sadly its the other way round. I've been using the "Helmet Support" for more than 2 years and I've not faced such issues with other helmets. I don't think the shops will allow you to test the helmet (drive) to know if such air noise comes or not. BTW this is the first helmet which has vents at other places. As mentioned by LazyGunner, I need to check if any vents are open or air is creeping through some gaps in the visor.
Old 30th March 2016, 22:07   #1986
BHPian

Quote:

Sadly its the other way round. I've been using the "Helmet Support" for more than 2 years and I've not faced such issues with other helmets. I don't think the shops will allow you to test the helmet (drive) to know if such air noise comes or not. BTW this is the first helmet which has vents at other places. As mentioned by LazyGunner, I need to check if any vents are open or air is creeping through some gaps in the visor.

I'm sorry, I was mentioning with respect to the fitting of the helmet on the head.

With respect to air noise and other such attributes, I normally go by reviews by reputed websites (like webbikeworld).

I always use earplugs, and I reckon it might mitigate your problem.

EDIT: I just read the reason for the wind noise being your helmet support. Wanted to ask, does the helmet come with a wind curtain at the chin area? It helps in keeping the wind noise to a minimum.

Last edited by dreamseller : 30th March 2016 at 22:08.
Old 31st March 2016, 10:41   #1987
BHPian

Yesterday morning, while tightening the visor screw in the my helmet i broke it completely. The screw went inside the casing and into the cushion.
That's when i realized it is time to replace my 5 year old helmet. The brand was Power and was quite good, i had replaced the glass visor couple of time and interior cushion just once.
As my daily commute to office was increased from 25 KMs to 45KMs, i needed a good ventilation helmet.
After checking team-bhp i zeroed in on Steelbird Air. So, yesterday evening while returning from work, went to Helmet paradise and bought it. Shopkeeper showed Vega Crux first and then when i asked for steelbird he showed me the this one. As per him this is the most ventilated helmet available.
My initial impression was "WOW", this miles ahead of my 5 year old helmet. First time i covered the visor, i had touch and see if the glass was there (it was so clear).
It has air inlets near the chin as well as above the head. The air inlet above the head creates a air pocket between head and helmet, from there air flows out through the rear outlets. Pretty neat and simple.
After reaching home, there was no feeling of sweat. Even today in the morning commute, i used sweat a lot in the back lower part of my head, as result i would remove the helmet in the last 500 mts. But in the SBA, felt quite comfortable.

Here is the link of the helmet: http://airhelmet.steelbirdhelmet.com...s/sba-1-glossy

Overall, i would say it's nice especially in the summer and value for money.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2016, 11:50   #1988
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, I have been using the MT blade for the last 6 months and I have not faced high wind noise even upto 120 kmph.
I usually close all the vents to prevent dust from entering which greatly helps in keeping noise intrusion low as well. At slow speeds, this could be suffocating but in that case I open the visor slightly. Also, head is bent slightly downward (not uncomfortably) which might help. Do try with fastening the helmet sufficiently too.
Old 1st April 2016, 22:51   #1989
BHPian

Am looking to buy a Shoei Neotech helmet either online or from a store in NCR. Have seen it priced at 41500 on bikegear.in. Please advise if there are better/ cheaper places in NCR/ online to buy this particular helmet.
Old 2nd April 2016, 11:15   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by troika View Post
Am looking to buy a Shoei Neotech helmet either online or from a store in NCR. Have seen it priced at 41500 on bikegear.in. Please advise if there are better/ cheaper places in NCR/ online to buy this particular helmet.
Please ensure you are 100000% sure that the size/shape fits you before plonking in that kind of money. Dont just go by the numbers.

I did get my Shoei online and it took a while for it to break in (though there's a lot to go) was regretting not going the "Try n Buy" mode!

So personal advise would be -- Try n Buy!

Happy Shopping!
Old 2nd April 2016, 15:15   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Please ensure you are 100000% sure that the size/shape fits you before plonking in that kind of money. Dont just go by the numbers.

I did get my Shoei online and it took a while for it to break in (though there's a lot to go) was regretting not going the "Try n Buy" mode!

So personal advise would be -- Try n Buy!

Happy Shopping!
I did try the Shoei Neotech a year or so back in UK, so I am quite sure about the size. Just trying to be sure about the vendor before paying up. Which website did you buy your Shoei from Shubz.
Old 2nd April 2016, 18:44   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Oh in that case you should be good to go with that. Having said that did you try it on properly or just wore it over your head and felt nice? Have you checked for its snugness? If yes to all then you are all set.

I got mine through a known contact who picked it up from a store in Singapore.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2016, 07:40   #1993
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

This may be a strange question.

My cousin had a bad head(scalp) injury some months back - long deep cut - required a lot of stitches. It was not automobile related. However, he is now quite scared of getting into an accident while in a car. He uses private taxis for outstation trips and sits in the backseat but still wants some protection for his head because of the high speeds on the highway. He has been avoiding outstation trips for a few months because of this but can no longer do so.

Is using a helmet advisable in these cases? What kind of helmet should he use which would be comfortable for long taxi trips but at the same time provide adequate protection. Or is there any better alternative than a helmet for a car back seat passenger which will provide adequate protection.

Last edited by carboy : 14th April 2016 at 07:42.
Old 14th April 2016, 09:26   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This may be a strange question.

Is using a helmet advisable in these cases? What kind of helmet should he use which would be comfortable for long taxi trips but at the same time provide adequate protection. Or is there any better alternative than a helmet for a car back seat passenger which will provide adequate protection.
Wearing a helmet in car is nothing new. Race Car drivers have been doing it for ages. But sitting in a passenger vehicle with a helmet on and that too in the back seat would not only be uncomfortable over long distances but in fact if I say it would be totally quite bizarre, it would be a understatement. I would advise that your cousin visit a shrink and take counseling to get over his fear of head injury. A properly strapped seat belt should suffice.

Cheers...
Old 14th April 2016, 12:42   #1995
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
But sitting in a passenger vehicle with a helmet on and that too in the back seat would not only be uncomfortable over long distances
Are there any lightweight half helmets available which could at least be worn for an hour comfortably and which would also provide reasonable protection?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks