Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 15:05   #2011
BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

I have a basic studds helmet which i have stopped using, a Scorpion that i use rarely and a Bell RS-1 that i use for most of my rides. I really wanted to try one of the helmet EL light kits and was looking around for a inexpensive option which i wouldn't have to source from abroad.

I bought the white Proto Central EL wire starter kit from Amazon for approx INR 950 including delivery and I am very happy with the outcome. I am using it on my Scorpion EXO helmet. It's bright, simple to install, has batteries included. I only wish the inverter/battery pack were smaller. Attached pictures are from indoor use, will share ride pics later.
Attached Thumbnails
Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20160417_141127.jpg  

Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet-img_20160417_141157.jpg  

keshavarora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 19:06   #2012
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any helmet shops near Banaswadi or Kasturi Nagar? I see that X-Torque isn't there any more.
Old 3rd May 2016, 11:29   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keshavarora View Post
I bought the white Proto Central EL wire starter kit from Amazon for approx INR 950 including delivery and I am very happy with the outcome. I am using it on my Scorpion EXO helmet. It's bright, simple to install, has batteries included. I only wish the inverter/battery pack were smaller. Attached pictures are from indoor use, will share ride pics later.
Please share more information on this. How did you wire this ? Where have you placed the battery and the switches ?
Old 3rd May 2016, 17:01   #2014
BHPian

I'm looking for a spare visor for my Sparx. Does anyone know of any good shop in the Chandigarh tricity area? Any pointers would be highly appreciated. TIA.
Old 4th May 2016, 13:29   #2015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
Please share more information on this. How did you wire this ? Where have you placed the battery and the switches ?
Hi. This comes as whole kit, including the wire, the inverter and batteries, thus it is a end to end solution. I have included a link from Amazon so that you can see the contents. http://www.amazon.in/ProtoCentral-EL-Wire-Starter-Kit/dp/B017QF74W8?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=b5b4d951-4d2b-4b8e-b18b-005088f73bf1

I made a rough design on my helmet, pasting the EL wire with scotch tape. Once i was satisfied with the design, I used FeviQuick to stick the EL wire to the helmet. The inverter, which houses the on/off/pulse swith, is placed on the side of the helmet. On one side i have placed the bluetooth kit, on the other side the inverter. Hope this helps.
keshavarora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 09:35   #2016
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I'm looking for a spare visor for my Sparx. Does anyone know of any good shop in the Chandigarh tricity area? Any pointers would be highly appreciated. TIA.
Asked a biker friend [Harkamal] who is from that area, as per him, the nearest location for you is Mahalaxmi Automobiles, Delhi. You probably may not get it in the tricity.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 15:46   #2017
Senior - BHPian

I had booked an Activa 125 earlier in the week, which I'll get in hand tomorrow. I don't own a helmet, but I do want to invest in a good one. Today I went searching for this Motomania mentioned in this thread (back in '08) but #311 on 100 ft Road is now a construction site. So, to refresh information - which are the stores in Bangalore (Marathahalli-Bellandur-Indira Nagar triangle) where I can buy some of the recommended helmets? I would like to try several to ensure a good fit.
Old 5th May 2016, 16:28   #2018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Asked a biker friend [Harkamal] who is from that area, as per him, the nearest location for you is Mahalaxmi Automobiles, Delhi. You probably may not get it in the tricity.
Thanks for the info Sheel. Will check if I can get it picked up from Delhi.
Old 5th May 2016, 16:50   #2019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I had booked an Activa 125 earlier in the week, which I'll get in hand tomorrow. I don't own a helmet, but I do want to invest in a good one. Today I went searching for this Motomania mentioned in this thread (back in '08) but #311 on 100 ft Road is now a construction site. So, to refresh information - which are the stores in Bangalore (Marathahalli-Bellandur-Indira Nagar triangle) where I can buy some of the recommended helmets? I would like to try several to ensure a good fit.
In the triangle mentioned above, the only option i can think of is Lets Gear Up in HSR layout (Outside of the triangle i know). If you are willing to step out on a weekend only for this purpose, then Moto101 on Lalbagh road has a good collection of helmets. You can try various sizes and go for the brand and size that you like.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 18:00   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
In the triangle mentioned above, the only option i can think of is Lets Gear Up in HSR layout (Outside of the triangle i know). If you are willing to step out on a weekend only for this purpose, then Moto101 on Lalbagh road has a good collection of helmets. You can try various sizes and go for the brand and size that you like.
You should try out Moto Armour at Hope Farm Junction at Whitefield if thats any closer. He has quite a good range of MT and other helmets!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 13:15   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Guys, any helmet shops near Banaswadi or Kasturi Nagar? I see that X-Torque isn't there any more.
Riding DNA is around there. Google them out
narula123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 14:05   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
I'm sorry, I was mentioning with respect to the fitting of the helmet on the head.

With respect to air noise and other such attributes, I normally go by reviews by reputed websites (like webbikeworld).

I always use earplugs, and I reckon it might mitigate your problem.

EDIT: I just read the reason for the wind noise being your helmet support. Wanted to ask, does the helmet come with a wind curtain at the chin area? It helps in keeping the wind noise to a minimum.
I have also been facing this problem in my MT Blade helmet from the last ride. Suddenly above there is quite a lot of breeze noise and its specially around the vent in front, I can feel the breeze hitting my lips and nose which generally is around the front vent. I tried keeping a finger across the vent slider button and it seems to reduce! Not sure how to fix this now . There doesn't seem to be any gap visible to the eye and the vents are properly shut as far as I can see. However the mechanism of sliding the vent open seems to be little shoddy, with some creaking noise while closing! Is this a problem? Where can I get this fixed in Bangalore ? I had bought this from LetsGear up and I'm not sure how to explain or demonstrate this problem to the showroom guys! Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 6th May 2016, 14:22   #2023
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
Riding DNA is around there. Google them out
Thanks! Appreciate the info. It's for a friend who has been wearing an ill-fitting, tin can of a helmet. He has finally given in to my bugging him!
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 11:03   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Whew! Thanks for that quick feedback. That saved quite a few bucks
I know your post is over 2 months old, but just so that my fellow bikers know, I don't think that's true. There's this store in Hyderabad called -
On The Rocks, which is in Ayappa society that sells Marushin.

https://www.facebook.com/ontherocks.hyd/?fref=ts

This is Marushin India's facebook page (again operated by the store, I think)
https://www.facebook.com/marushinhelmetsindia/?fref=ts

The Marushins I saw there appeared pretty decent. They have the Marushin Shivan range which has a 4 star Sharp rating -

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/marushin-shivan

I intend to pick one up next week.
Old 12th May 2016, 12:00   #2025
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
I know your post is over 2 months old, but just so that my fellow bikers know, I don't think that's true. There's this store in Hyderabad called -
On The Rocks, which is in Ayappa society that sells Marushin.
Aware about that store for a few years now. I bought some stuff there and in general most people give a negative feedback about that store

Either too expensive or not genuine stuff.

Please buy at your own risk
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks