Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2016, 22:26   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Off this topic but what time were you there? I was there through the afternoon of last Saturday trying on the advento pants and got one. Took a good three hours I think.
I came at around 4, and was accompanied by my wife and kid. Do you ride a Versys? If yes, then I think we met there.

--Anoop
Old 14th June 2016, 07:29   #2057
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I came at around 4, and was accompanied by my wife and kid. Do you ride a Versys? If yes, then I think we met there.

--Anoop
Yes I do. I think you walked past me as I was getting ready to ride off. I thought you got yourself a jacket.

And that was a quick buy! You were hardly there 20 minutes I think!

I also wanted their gloves, but they were sadly all out of them.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 15:11   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Had a slightly sad experience at Let's Gear Up yesterday and thought of sharing it here - please move if it is not appropriate for this thread.

--Anoop
I thought it was just me who saw a different attitude with LGU store! Off late have heard many complaints on how the people are not interested to sell or assist and quite a lot of attitude thrown around when asking for few products. I had been there to pick a saddle bag and riding pants/boots. Bags they were able to assist and suggested the saddle bags instead of the claw, but when asked about riding pants/shoes - there wasn't much assist! It was more or less like this is what we have if you are interested its good else no! And moreover my MT helmet I had purchased from them has few problems with the front vent where though its closed, there is terrible seepage above speeds of 80KMPH, when I told them about the problem and checked if any solution, there was blunt NO! Only option suggested was buy one more from the recent stock they have SOL or NXR. Very bad attitude as compared to couple of years back. We need more showrooms like this to avoid this monopoly of one-shop stop in Bangalore!
Mafioso is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2016, 19:28   #2059
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from another thread for the benefit of anyone interested:

REs 7k odd range of full face helmets (Street Nimbus) is actually a "Shiro helmet" with RE badging. Instead of spending 7k, you can buy these for around 4k here - http://www.stepinadventure.com/produ...-10631926.aspx

I am not associated with either seller in any way. Just passing along info to the members here
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 13:54   #2060
Senior - BHPian

I have almost zeroed in the New LS2 ff352 Atmos, The reviews I read online were great, I wanted to know if anyone has actual experience using this helmet, I am getting it on a deal breaker price of 4k and its coming through a biker friend from a big shop in Cochin. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it.

Pramod
Old 21st June 2016, 14:18   #2061
Distinguished - BHPian

On the topic of motorcycle gear stores, Ive been picking up different things recently from Orion Motors and not only do they have the widest variety of riding gear in Bangalore but the shopping experience is just great. Puig windscreens, Rhynox gear and RST boots have been added recently as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have almost zeroed in the New LS2 ff352 Atmos, The reviews I read online were great, I wanted to know if anyone has actual experience using this helmet, I am getting it on a deal breaker price of 4k and its coming through a biker friend from a big shop in Cochin. Just wanted to know your thoughts on it.

Pramod
I wouldnt touch LS2s with a barge pole given how many fakes flooded the market. For that money there are far better helmets out there.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 15:27   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I wouldnt touch LS2s with a barge pole given how many fakes flooded the market. For that money there are far better helmets out there.
That is very true, I too have seen fakes circulate the market but this is from a trusted source, I felt its a great deal provided it is guaranteed its original.

Pramod
Old 21st June 2016, 17:13   #2063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is very true, I too have seen fakes circulate the market but this is from a trusted source, I felt its a great deal provided it is guaranteed its original.

Pramod
Pramod, even if there is less than a 1% chance that the helmet could be a fake, more than the monetary damage (Rs 4000 in this case), the potential safety risk to you is huge. Is it worth taking the risk especially when you have so many options in the market these days?

Where are you picking it up from - AQ or DJ?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2016, 17:19   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod, even if there is less than a 1% chance that the helmet could be a fake, more than the monetary damage (Rs 4000 in this case), the potential safety risk to you is huge. Is it worth taking the risk especially when you have so many options in the market these days?

Where are you picking it up from - AQ or DJ?
Could you name a few, I tried out the MT helmets(only a few available in my size, large) didn't like the graphics and I also felt the strap without a quick release to be a big hassle. Though I have zeroed down on my choice, it was obvious that I was in half mind when I posted here, please feel free to suggest, I am planning to build a decent arsenal of goodies before my SBK purchase, presently I ride some classic Yamaha bikes and getting a helmet and a riding helmet would be my first priority. For the jacket I have zeroed on ASPIDA nemesis 2 in grey and black, would like to hear your views on that as well, in a couple of months I am planning to add a pair of gloves as well.

Pramod
Old 21st June 2016, 19:49   #2065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you name a few, I tried out the MT helmets(only a few available in my size, large) didn't like the graphics and I also felt the strap without a quick release to be a big hassle. Though I have zeroed down on my choice, it was obvious that I was in half mind when I posted here, please feel free to suggest, I am planning to build a decent arsenal of goodies before my SBK purchase, presently I ride some classic Yamaha bikes and getting a helmet and a riding helmet would be my first priority. For the jacket I have zeroed on ASPIDA nemesis 2 in grey and black, would like to hear your views on that as well, in a couple of months I am planning to add a pair of gloves as well.

Pramod
Pramod,

In Cochin, you have a great range of options in helmets between AQ and DJ. Below 5K you have MT and Kranos (manufactured by MT) options which are widely used in India and available with DJ. Zeus helmets have come in recently at AQ, havent checked them out myself but I hear they are at the 4.6K mark. SOL is also available with AQ.

Since you mentioned you were buying a superbike (congratulations in advance!), maybe you should also look at better helmets? AQ has iotions from Nolan, KYT, AGV, Airoh, HJC etc. DJ has helmets from HJC, Shark, Nolan and more. These come at different price bands but with the right helmet you usually get what you paid for. Most recently Ive owned the HJC CL17 (crashed in it even) and now have the Nolan N86.

There are tons of options in riding jackets, havent seen the Aspida so cant comment.
Old 21st June 2016, 22:32   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to build a decent arsenal of goodies before my SBK purchase
Congratulations in advance buddy may I ask which one?

You should ditch the idea of cheap helmets if you are buying a Superbike. Look at something like HJC, HELD, Lazer or Scorpion. These are the most vfm brands when it comes to premium helmets.
Quote:
AQ has iotions from Nolan, KYT, AGV, Airoh, HJC etc. DJ has helmets from HJC, Shark, Nolan and more. These come at different price bands but with the right helmet you usually get what you paid for. Most recently Ive owned the HJC CL17 (crashed in it even) and now have the Nolan N86.
Is KYT of any better quality than MT? AFAIK they are a very similar cheap spanish Helmet company. How is the N86 in comparison to the CL17? I own a Nolan as well but different model. Looking for a good pillion helmet.
Old 21st June 2016, 22:52   #2067
BHPian

In Chennai where can I buy genuine MT or LS2 helmets?
Old 22nd June 2016, 08:48   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pramod,

In Cochin, you have a great range of options in helmets between AQ and DJ. Below 5K you have MT and Kranos (manufactured by MT) options which are widely used in India and available with DJ. Zeus helmets have come in recently at AQ, havent checked them out myself but I hear they are at the 4.6K mark. SOL is also available with AQ.
Looks like I need to travel to cochin soon.

Quote:
Since you mentioned you were buying a superbike (congratulations in advance!),.
Thank You, but it will take sometime before head and heart comes in perfect alignment

Quote:
maybe you should also look at better helmets? AQ has iotions from Nolan, KYT, AGV, Airoh, HJC etc. DJ has helmets from HJC, Shark, Nolan and more. These come at different price bands but with the right helmet you usually get what you paid for. Most recently Ive owned the HJC CL17 (crashed in it even) and now have the Nolan N86.
This is my beginning in the world of performance helmets and other gear, don't want to start at the top however go gradually there, what ever I buy now will be used during my daily office commute and group rides with my classic ride buddies. So to be honest I am on a budget, I presently have upper cap of 4k for the helmet and about 5.5k for the jacket and 2k for the gloves. Thanks for patiently listing out the options, I am actually considering the MT range as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Congratulations in advance buddy may I ask which one? .
Presently its a thought between the last Gen R1 and the last Gen Busa. I am not really interested to buy new from showroom, was considering the Beneli 600i initially. It will take about a year for that to happen, presently I have some financial commitments which are eating my bank account

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You should ditch the idea of cheap helmets if you are buying a Superbike. Look at something like HJC, HELD, Lazer or Scorpion. These are the most vfm brands when it comes to premium helmets.

Is KYT of any better quality than MT? AFAIK they are a very similar cheap spanish Helmet company. How is the N86 in comparison to the CL17? I own a Nolan as well but different model. Looking for a good pillion helmet.
Like I said, I wanted a good helmet for daily use and the SBK will definitely have its own gear to match the performance but I am not sure if I want to go for expensive brands right away

pramod
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:17   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, I wanted a good helmet for daily use and the SBK will definitely have its own gear to match the performance but I am not sure if I want to go for expensive brands right away
Unless you are going for race-fit helmets from the brands I spoke about, they are all perfect for daily use as well. The padding is much much better, so is the venting, the visor visibility quality and visibility itself. Lastly the weight and comfort is also largely better. You will be spending 6 lacs odd on the bike I assume? What is 20k for the protection of your head in front of that? If 20k seems like too much, then you could even look at the LS2 carbon series which starts from about 11k. Offers great value for money in terms of weight, liner material and comfort.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd June 2016 at 09:20.
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:52   #2070
BHPian

Quote:

Pramod

I bought MT Blade from DJ 3 months back. Even though fit & finish is good, wind noise is just unbearable @ high speeds, but good enough @ <100Kmph. Would not recommend it on SBK. Have already started looking for other brands. May consider AGV / Bell / Shark. Some good models of AGV, SHOEI are there @ AQ. There is also one showroom behind Truimph showroom @ Vytilla which retails helmets, have to check out that.

For other riding gear, my advice would be to check it properly in all respects before buying. Go for the best gear you can afford, as in my case had to change jacket,pants & boots after short time, due to ill fitting & pain on the toes.

Now I'm using Alpinestar T-GP PRO AIR Jacket, SMX-1R boots & pants.

Congratulations on your decision to go for SBK. Which one it would be??

Quote:

This is my beginning in the world of performance helmets and other gear, don't want to start at the top however go gradually there, what ever I buy now will be used during my daily office commute and group rides with my classic ride buddies. So to be honest I am on a budget, I presently have upper cap of 4k for the helmet and about 5.5k for the jacket and 2k for the gloves. Thanks for patiently listing out the options, I am actually considering the MT range as well.

pramod
This is the mistake, I made. I also started with following resolutions & belief. But noticed it is inevitable to change to better quality, if you are using a SBK( Why, I would say any motorcycle).

Can anybody shed light on AGV K5, how is it?

Last edited by Vasuki : 22nd June 2016 at 09:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks