Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Ride Safe
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:57   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which Helmet? Tips on buying a good helmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
You will be spending 6 lacs odd on the bike I assume? What is 20k for the protection of your head in front of that?.
I get your point, I am not spending 6-7 lacs now, I have 3 usage, one involves regular office commute less than 5KMs one way, involving very low traffic(I cover the distance in 7-10 minutes, with moderate speeds) second one involves weekly =/bi monthly rides (less than 30Kms) on a classic bike which I don't take beyond 80 kays, Third use is not immediate, its not even in the next 6 months, this involves me getting a superbike and riding it during weekends again, cant take it to office, due to two reasons, wife commutes with me to work in a saree, I have no private parking space at office.

Quote:
If 20k seems like too much, then you could even look at the LS2 carbon series which starts from about 11k. Offers great value for money in terms of weight, liner material and comfort.
I have some financial commitments now which doesn't justify a set of gear above 10k, this is the max I can spend now because this is the amount I am getting as a refund from IT department. I wanted to spend more however I wanted to buy a jacket as well with the money I have. I assume 4-5k Helmets are not bad for daily office commute and weekly team rides on the classic bike. Another thought was to sell all my bikes leaving my Rx 100 and buy a brand new 4 cylinder Honda or a S triple, if that happens then its obvious I will have close to 50-60K for riding gears but there are very limited options in Trivandrum now and I am not travelling to cochin in the near future. I will travel to Bangalore later this year that time I will definitely look for something better, this is to start and familiarize with basic safety. I hope I was able to paint a clear picture.

Pramod
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:08   #2072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Can anybody shed light on AGV K5, how is it?
K5 is basically a lighter composite version of the K3 SV. If you are satisfied with the fit and visibility offered, you can go for it, but I feel there are better offerings from Bell, HJC and Scorpion for the price. Other premium brands like Nolan, Shark and Shoei also offer some good products. The Shark Speed R is a great product unless you ride a supersport. The Shark is slightly more comfortable, offers better visor mechanism, better venting and is much quieter as well. The AGV just has that whole Rossi thing going for it but nothing from the GT Veloce or Pista GP trickles down to their lower products.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd June 2016 at 10:14.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 10:56   #2073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anybody shed light on AGV K5, how is it?
Using its younger brother, K3 SV. Shell shapes are almost similar on both. As per my experience, all of K3, K5, Corsa and Pista range is best suited for sport/supersport riding positions where your head is slightly tilted forward and there is some windscreen to divert the air over your nose level. The air vents are designed to work best in these situations and actually works brilliantly. On a naked bike with upright riding position, the wind noise is a bit too much north of 110-120kph. There is even some turbulence in the ear cavity of the liner. Hot traffic conditions are also manageable as for me. I find that I sweat less inside the K3 than my SOL S68 (Or maybe the liner absorbs it well). Fit and finish is top notch and so is the weight of the helmet. It does not feel top heavy. Straight line stability is great at high speeds and so is glancing over the shoulder for quick lane changes. The smallish spoiler on the K3 keeps the helmet from lifting at high speeds. K5 has an extended spoiler, so should be better. My 2 cents.
man_of_steel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:21   #2074
Senior - BHPian

The confusion now increases, Thank you guys

I tried MT Axxis Limited Evo Matt Helmet (Black & Green), though I didn't like the color much but it was extremely snug fit and to some extent comfortable as well, I liked KRANOS Imola Future UK Helmet (White) as well. But the price online is just 3750, which is very tempting. kindly share your reviews please.

Pramod
Old 22nd June 2016, 12:21   #2075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is KYT of any better quality than MT? AFAIK they are a very similar cheap spanish Helmet company. How is the N86 in comparison to the CL17? I own a Nolan as well but different model. Looking for a good pillion helmet.
If I had to pick between the two and nothing else I would go with MT. Given their safety ratings (not for all models though) I think MT helmets are at a great price point but I also hear a lot of people complaining about the helmet taking far too long to break in and get comfortable.

The N86 is lighter than the CL17 and ventilation is far better. With ventilation however, comes noise so I have to wear ear plugs on highway rides. Build quality was really good on both helmets. In terms of fit, the CL17 was a much more snug and comfortable for me though that will vary from person to person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
In Chennai where can I buy genuine MT or LS2 helmets?
Genuine. LS2. Ummm.

Jokes aside MT helmets are imported and sold by the good folks over at Spartan Pro Gear. Their address is
New No.2/138,
Old No.2/119,
First Floor,
East Coast Road,
Uthandi,
Opp. Indian Maritime University,
Chennai

Quote:
The Shark Speed R is a great product unless you ride a supersport. The Shark is slightly more comfortable, offers better visor mechanism, better venting and is much quieter as well. The AGV just has that whole Rossi thing going for it but nothing from the GT Veloce or Pista GP trickles down to their lower products.
I checked out the Shark Speed R and thought it is over priced in India. It felt very similar to the N86, they both share a 4 * SHARP rating and weigh in at about the same figure. Of course, there is more to it that just that but compare the prices and the Shark Speed R doesnt look like VFM at all - 32K vs 20K for the N86.

The Shark Race R (Pro) though is something I hope is available in India soon.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:12   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Genuine. LS2. Ummm.

Jokes aside.
Hi Neil, what I understand from your reply I that the LS2 which are available at outlets in Chennai are fake? Is it so? Where can I buy a genuine one? Also the MT helmets at the address you mentioned, what is the price range?
Thanks.
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:23   #2077
BHPian

Quote:
K5 is basically a lighter composite version of the K3 SV. If you are satisfied with the fit and visibility offered, you can go for it, but I feel there are better offerings from Bell, HJC and Scorpion for the price. Other premium brands like Nolan, Shark and Shoei also offer some good products. The Shark Speed R is a great product unless you ride a supersport..
Thanks. I would be looking at the offerings from Bell/Shark/Shoei too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Using its younger brother, K3 SV. Shell shapes are almost similar on both. As per my experience, all of K3, K5, Corsa and Pista range is best suited for sport/supersport riding positions where your head is slightly tilted forward and there is some windscreen to divert the air over your nose level. The air vents are designed to work best in these situations and actually works brilliantly. On a naked bike with upright riding position, the wind noise is a bit too much north of 110-120kph. There is even some turbulence in the ear cavity of the liner. Hot traffic conditions are also manageable as for me. I find that I sweat less inside the K3 than my SOL S68 (Or maybe the liner absorbs it well). Fit and finish is top notch and so is the weight of the helmet. It does not feel top heavy. Straight line stability is great at high speeds and so is glancing over the shoulder for quick lane changes. The smallish spoiler on the K3 keeps the helmet from lifting at high speeds. K5 has an extended spoiler, so should be better. .
Thanks. I use a naked bike(Z800). So wind blast would be very high on the helmet. For high speeds, I literally lie on the tank @ very high speeds.

So which helmet would be better under 30-40K ?
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:54   #2078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I would recommend checking between the Shark Speed R and the Suomy Apex. Speed R is tried and tested, works well in nearly every scenario and has an excellent visor. Suomy is an Italian brand. Very high quality, very comfortable, also vents extremely well with massive channels in the skeleton of the helmet it is very light and comes with excellent inner lining and padding. Both are around 30k and would be your best bet IMO. My friend swears by the Shark Speed R although I'd recommend getting the Suomy for the slightly better quality that it comes with. Given it fits you well that is. The Suomy feels more premium and more in line with top of the range Arai/Nolan/Shoei helmets

Last edited by IshaanIan : 22nd June 2016 at 14:03.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:38   #2079
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Hi Neil, what I understand from your reply I that the LS2 which are available at outlets in Chennai are fake? Is it so? Where can I buy a genuine one? Also the MT helmets at the address you mentioned, what is the price range?
Thanks.
Basically there are a ton of well made fake LS2s that have flooded the Indian market and prices were all over the place. Some sellers dropped prices when they got the fakes, others sold the same fakes at a higher price so people assumed they were the real deal. I always suggest that riders avoid LS2 helmets since you really cant tell if its genuine or not and it isnt worth taking a risk with your head, is it?

There is a wonderful thread on xbhp regarding this specifically, please do read that for more details. MT has a few helmets, the most expensive of which is at around Rs 6000. Check out Spartan Pro Gear's website / FB page for latest prices.

Quote:

Thanks. I use a naked bike(Z800). So wind blast would be very high on the helmet. For high speeds, I literally lie on the tank @ very high speeds.

Within your budget , I would suggest
- HJC RPHA 10 / 11 : Good prices, goes up if you opt for the Jorge Lorenzo schemes
- XLites : Made by Nolan and terrifically light, nice designs as well
- Bell Star : Ive read good reviews though I havent seen one yet.
- AGV K5 : Not a bad option but probably not outstanding either.
- Shark Race R Pro : If you can find one, it would be a great option.

As far as I remember AQ and DJ had Shoei options as well, ask for it when you go there. Dont recall the model though.

Also do you use a windscreen on your bike?

Quote:
I would recommend checking between the Shark Speed R and the Suomy Apex. Speed R is tried and tested, works well in nearly every scenario and has an excellent visor. Suomy is an Italian brand. Very high quality, very comfortable, also vents extremely well with massive channels in the skeleton of the helmet it is very light and comes with excellent inner lining and padding. Both are around 30k and would be your best bet IMO. My friend swears by the Shark Speed R although I'd recommend getting the Suomy for the slightly better quality that it comes with. Given it fits you well that is. The Suomy feels more premium and more in line with top of the range Arai/Nolan/Shoei helmets
Any details on where Suomy is available in India? Havent spotted them anywhere.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:22   #2080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Address: SHOP NO 21A, TARDEO ROAD, JAYWANT INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, OPP SOBO CENTRAL MALL, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400034
Phone:022 2352 1448

Btw i know this isnt the place to discuss this. But i thought it would be helpful if anyones looking for a preowned helmet. A friends got AGV corsa and arai for sale if anyone looks at good helmets at a discount. Thats 2 of his 8 helmets that hes giving off.
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:26   #2081
BHPian

Quote:

Within your budget , I would suggest
- HJC RPHA 10 / 11 : Good prices, goes up if you opt for the Jorge Lorenzo schemes

As far as I remember AQ and DJ had Shoei options as well, ask for it when you go there. Dont recall the model though.

Also do you use a windscreen on your bike?

Thanks. No I've not fitted windscreen. Yes saw Shoei too @ AQ. The model I preferred, way over the budget.

There is one more place near Vytilla, back of Truimph showroom. Heard they have Bell & Shark stocks. Need to try out.
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:59   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest
I own an X-Lite X-802R and speaking from personal experience, this would be useless on a naked bike where one is practically sitting upright for the most part. I cringe when I see guys on Bullets riding about in RPHA10s or AGV K3/K5s. The poor folks must be sweating their balls off Practically all the helmets you recommended are extremely snug race-fit helmets whose aerodynamics work well only when riding a supersport where you are at-least in the 3/4 riding position.

Quote:
Few stores is in the North in Bombay and in Delhi will have Suomy in stock. Not sure of any places in the South. One can also order it online off of sbkstore. The Apex is simply sublime for the price it is offered at. Reeks of quality that only top of the line Nolan X-Lites, Arais and Shoeis do. Most importantly, the vents in the helmet feed through the largest channels on a helmet that I have ever seen. Your entire head should be swimming in a cool monsoon breeze of air conditioning almost all the time The graphics offered on Suomy lids are also impeccably stunning and should still fall under the 30-40k.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 00:18   #2083
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
Address: SHOP NO 21A, TARDEO ROAD, JAYWANT INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, OPP SOBO CENTRAL MALL, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400034
Phone:022 2352 1448
Thanks, that looks like the address for Ultimate Auto Impex but strangely they dont show it on their website.

Quote:
I own an X-Lite X-802R and speaking from personal experience, this would be useless on a naked bike where one is practically sitting upright for the most part. I cringe when I see guys on Bullets riding about in RPHA10s or AGV K3/K5s. The poor folks must be sweating their balls off Practically all the helmets you recommended are extremely snug race-fit helmets whose aerodynamics work well only when riding a supersport where you are at-least in the 3/4 riding position.
Ive only been riding for 15 years so I may not have the same experience as many of the others here but I can honestly say, I have never come across anyone complaining about their helmet (irrespective of whether it is the RPHA 10 or K5 or MT Axxiss) having ventilation as poor as what you have described only because they are sitting on a naked bike with upright positioning. I agree that quite a few helmets are designed for improved airflow in such leaning forward postures but nowhere have I heard and / or read that with an upright seating position the airflow in a helmet is negligible.

Noisier as you change your position, yes. Uncomfortably stuffy as you change your position, I really doubt. Or maybe, I'm just not well informed. I will be most interested in hearing the experiences of fellow riders.

Quote:
Few stores is in the North in Bombay and in Delhi will have Suomy in stock. Not sure of any places in the South. One can also order it online off of sbkstore. The Apex is simply sublime for the price it is offered at. Reeks of quality that only top of the line Nolan X-Lites, Arais and Shoeis do. Most importantly, the vents in the helmet feed through the largest channels on a helmet that I have ever seen. Your entire head should be swimming in a cool monsoon breeze of air conditioning almost all the time The graphics offered on Suomy lids are also impeccably stunning and should still fall under the 30-40k.
Did a quick check for owner reviews of the Apex, most of them seem positive. The major bummer for me though is it's 3 star SHARP rating.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 00:40   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive only been riding for 15 years so I may not have the same experience as many of the others here but I can honestly say, I have never come across anyone complaining about their helmet (irrespective of whether it is the RPHA 10 or K5 or MT Axxiss) having ventilation as poor as what you have described only because they are sitting on a naked bike with upright positioning.
I agree I may have exaggerated a bit there. BUT there is a reason why products like the Shark Speed R and AGV GT Veloce exist and receive acceptance amongst enthusiasts. If the difference was only negligible, then there would be no reason to expand the product portfolio to helmets that work well in the 3/4 and upright riding positions. It is similar to saying more sizes need not be offered in helmets and brands like LS2 are perfectly justified in only selling large size helmets in our country because no one has complained. I have personally experienced less venting with my X-Lite X-802R while riding adventure or naked bikes. As you mentioned, noise is also increased due to the upset aerodynamics. I myself have only been riding for about 8 months now (still have a lot to learn) but have had the chance to gain quite a bit of exposure in that time. Perhaps the reason why people do not make these observations is because our country is only recently being exposed to such levels of equipment and such a range of products and options. Whatever it may be, taking a racing helmet and riding a naked/tourer bike with it, will still be anyday better in every measurable aspect than wearing regular old Vegas. Also a lot of bikes overlap in terms of ergos 3/4 riding position could be achieved when ducking on a naked bike/adventure bike/sport tourer or when just riding normally on a supersport. Last ly observations on difference in venting, is not immediately apparent especially with a full head of hair. It becomes more apparent over longer distances and longer duration of time. Nevertheless, over longer distances it makes no sense to not buy something aerodynamically optimized for less noise and better venting to the kind of bike you ride. That too when such options do exist within ones budget. Especially when we are talking about big bikes capable of covering long distances and travelling at high speeds.

Quote:
Did a quick check for owner reviews of the Apex, most of them seem positive. The major bummer for me though is it's 3 star SHARP rating.
Believe it or not that is not as surprising as it may seem. When initially looking for helmets, I was shocked when I carried out some pretty extensive research and found products like MT helmets being rated safer by SHARP than HJC RPHA10s or Shoei X12s. However I found it hard to believe that someone like Lorenzo or Marquez would be wearing and endorsing a less safe helmet. Sure they are paid for it but consider that fact that their career involves riding at the absolute limit and being involved in quite a few nasty highside crashes. Did a bit more research and I found several articles and studies conducted by professionals and experts that suggest the testing criteria used by agencies especially SHARP in particular, is inherently flawed in several aspects.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd June 2016 at 00:48.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2016, 09:11   #2085
BHPian

Quote:

Noisier as you change your position, yes. Uncomfortably stuffy as you change your position, I really doubt. Or maybe, I'm just not well informed. I will be most interested in hearing the experiences of fellow riders.

Quote:

Whatever it may be, taking a racing helmet and riding a naked/tourer bike with it, will still be anyday better in every measurable aspect than wearing regular old Vegas. Also a lot of bikes overlap in terms of ergos 3/4 riding position could be achieved when ducking on a naked bike/adventure bike/sport tourer or when just riding normally on a supersport. Last ly observations on difference in venting, is not immediately apparent especially with a full head of hair. It becomes more apparent over longer distances and longer duration of time. Nevertheless, over longer distances it makes no sense to not buy something aerodynamically optimized for less noise and better venting to the kind of bike you ride. That too when such options do exist within ones budget. Especially when we are talking about big bikes capable of covering long distances and travelling at high speeds.

Thanks to both of you for the insight. Mostly my rides would be on highways & other long winding roads. So we can safely assume speeds in excess. In such scenario, on naked bikes the riding posture would be crouched on the tank. As I'm not using windscreen as of now, full blast is felt on the helmet face.

Can you pls elaborate on Shark Speed R & Race R/Pro? From what I can gather Speed R has better wind noise insulation, but fogging is an issue. Is Race R/PRO suitable with naked bikes?

Also starting range for a decent ARAI? How is RX-Q?

My requirements :

1. Less wind Noise
2. High speed compatibility, when crouching it should not hurt back of the neck.
3. Light weight

Of course safety is paramount

Last edited by Vasuki : 23rd June 2016 at 09:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks